BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Police Officers aren't to blame.

They're just government employees hired to do a job.  Their employers, hire, recruit, and train them.   They aren't really hired to "think" about the laws they enforce.  In fact, just like most people in the general population, they are conditioned and indoctrinated not to even see what they do as violence.  

I think the video is a good thing.  It tends to keep people in check.    

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I stopped a guy the other day for a minor equipment violation, brake light out.  Explained to the gentleman why I stopped him and per policy I couldn't simply release him with a verbal warning, that I would have to write him a written warning.  

Well after I got finished and handed him his warning, I politely asked him where he was going.  He politely told me he didn't wish to answer any questions and asked if he was free to leave. I told him yes, and watched as he made a left turn onto a road that's about 15 miles long on an island with no side streets that was closed at the 14mile point because of a bad accident Troopers were working.  

Could have saved the guy 30 minutes as well as some gas.  All well
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is a wonderful thing.  Everybody should assert their rights.

It's none of your business where I'm coming from or where I'm going.

I stopped a guy the other day for a minor equipment violation, brake light out.  Explained to the gentleman why I stopped him and per policy I couldn't simply release him with a verbal warning, that I would have to write him a written warning.  

Well after I got finished and handed him his warning, I politely asked him where he was going.  He politely told me he didn't wish to answer any questions and asked if he was free to leave. I told him yes, and watched as he made a left turn onto a road that's about 15 miles long on an island with no side streets that was closed at the 14mile point because of a bad accident Troopers were working.  

Yeah. OK. I'm sure that's why cops ask questions like "where are you going?" So they can be helpful and tell the fine motorist about some issue up the road.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I gotta tell ya'll I haven't seen a roadblock for any reason other then a traffic accident in 23 years. Where the fuck do you people find this drama?
View Quote

4.5 mi from my home, multiple times, returning from pistol matches
0.6 mi from my home, returning from dirt bike riding
1.5 mi from my home, returning from Home Depot and gassing up
~50 mi from my home, on a motorcycle ride, multiple times
hundreds of miles from my home, going to/from pistol and/or 3 gun matches in Arizona
hundreds of miles from my home, returning north from southern California
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

hundreds of miles from my home, going to/from pistol and/or 3 gun matches in Arizona
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I gotta tell ya'll I haven't seen a roadblock for any reason other then a traffic accident in 23 years. Where the fuck do you people find this drama?

Vegas, all over near home..
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Sure he did, read it again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could have saved the guy 30 minutes as well as some gas mileage.  All well

Just so I understand right .. the man exercised his rights and you pulled a pussy passive-aggressive in response?

I guess he should be thankful you didn't shoot his dog.

Um, he didn't know where he was headed until after he drove away?

Sure he did, read it again.

This is a couple of pages back, but what the hell:

Officer: where you headed?

Driver: Nunya.

Officer: OK

Driver: Am I free to go?

Officer: Sure.

Driver: drives away turns left onto what is now effectively a dead end

Officer: Shrug & smirk

How was the officer supposed to tell the driver it was a dead end after the driver had driven away?

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Vegas, all over near home..
View Quote

Vegas is horrible with roadblocks, like southern CA.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:45:02 AM EDT
[#7]
In watching the videos it seems strange the person recording would say "no questions" when asked questions and then ask the cop questions and expect an answer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Film me all you want, knock yourself out. Interfere in my traffic stop or scene, and we'll have a chat.

Simple really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In for the "you can film me but don't get in my way" butthurt.

Film me all you want, knock yourself out. Interfere in my traffic stop or scene, and we'll have a chat.

Simple really.

For some cops, filming = interference.  Or so it often seems to me.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

no they train to make asses of themselves whilst trying to provoke a confrontation with people to film the results and
act like they are a victim
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they train to make you break the law or violate someones rights?

no they train to make asses of themselves whilst trying to provoke a confrontation with people to film the results and
act like they are a victim

And why does that even matter again? Why do cops care if someone is making an ass out of themselves and trying to provoke a confrontation?

I know the vast majority of cops have enough training and experience to see the situation for what it is and correctly respond.

Granted, there are people that solely go out to troll cops. However, there are cops that double down and enforce their will on persons that question the legality of the officer's orders.

Then we get videos of people being dragged out of cars because the officer didn't like the citizen's attitude.

There has been a breakdown of trust between LEO and citizen. There was a time when the people trusted the LEO to know the law and not make egregious errors. That trust has been eroding away and now people are going to play "gotcha" with LEOs.

That attitude is now reinforced when LEO's overstep their legal authority. The most visible instance where that can occur is checkpoints. People are starting to feel a need to protect themselves from the actions of LEOs and that is not good for anyone.

Much of this could have been avoided or attenuated if the LEO community would have publicly made an example out any officers that acted illegally. There have been instances where this has occurred; I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. It needs to happen more often and with severe repercussions to show the local communities that LEOs will not tolerate those in their ranks that betray the trust and faith placed on them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
While I dont agree with people deliberately looking for trouble w my brothers just to try to make US look like asshats and idiots,
I do agree that things need to be kept in check.  

Just dont go off trying to intentionally piss US off though.....
View Quote

Out of curiosity, what would be some examples of "intentionally trying to piss us off"?  

Serious question.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Officer: Sure, the road ahead on the left had an accident and I don't know if it's cleared up or not.
Driver: Oh, thanks. Well hopefully it's finished by the time I get there.
Officer: Ok. Have a nice day.
Driver: You too officer.

How was the officer supposed to tell the driver it was a dead end after the driver had driven away?

View Quote

Really? Is that hard at all?

Worst case the driver just rolls up the window and drives off.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If I was a cop today I would insist on lapel cameras and record every single interaction with the public.
View Quote

I'm all for 'em
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In watching the videos it seems strange the person recording would say "no questions" when asked questions and then ask the cop questions and expect an answer.
View Quote

Do not presume to know what the person expects.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well if your asking a question, would you expect and answer?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell of a commute from Syria.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I  know somone seeking a confrontation when I see one and I've never worn a uniform in my life.      It's pretty damn obvious you have too much free time alone in that basement.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Fuuuuuuuck.

I hate road blocks.  I hate them with all of my being.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

disinfecting sunlight.

Megawatts

Gigawatts

America, Fuck Yeah!

Fuuuuuuuck.

I have never seen one.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have never seen one.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
disinfecting sunlight.

Megawatts
Gigawatts

America, Fuck Yeah!

Fuuuuuuuck.

I have never seen one.  

Roadblocks is one of those things the nutter  types seem to trigger on.  Even in this state, where they are illegal under state law,   you'll get guys foaming at the mouth about them.

Just an emotional  Pavlovian response, nothing more.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. And I expect some questions not to be answered, such as, "Why are you detaining me?"
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No. And I expect some questions not to be answered, such as, "Why are you detaining me?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, if you ask questions and don't expect answers,  why are you asking them in the first place?  

Playing up the drama for the camera obviously.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Curfew?

Jesus Christ.  What kind of progressive shithole have you created/decided to work in?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you ever asked a cop why he asks that question?

Why does a cop ask that question?

Lots of reasons.

1. I'm looking for drunks and I want him talking to see if he is slurring his speach.

2. I saw him leave a drug dealers house and I want to see if he is going to tell me the truth or tell me a lie.

3. He was driving the wrong way on one way so he's probably a lost tourist and I want to get him back to his hotel before he causes an accident (my AO can be tough to navigate due to lots of one way streets and streets that intersect like spagetti soup).

4. its a juvenile after curfew and the words I want to hear are I'm on my way home or taking my friend home.

Curfew?

Jesus Christ.  What kind of progressive shithole have you created/decided to work in?

There are places, like Michigan, with a graduated driver's license that has a curfew for driving. Many cities also have curfews for teens.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So your not so much against expectations, your more anti-communication.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:33:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There are places, like Michigan, with a graduated driver's license that has a curfew for driving. Many cities also have curfews for teens.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you ever asked a cop why he asks that question?

Why does a cop ask that question?

Lots of reasons.

1. I'm looking for drunks and I want him talking to see if he is slurring his speach.
2. I saw him leave a drug dealers house and I want to see if he is going to tell me the truth or tell me a lie.
3. He was driving the wrong way on one way so he's probably a lost tourist and I want to get him back to his hotel before he causes an accident (my AO can be tough to navigate due to lots of one way streets and streets that intersect like spagetti soup).
4. its a juvenile after curfew and the words I want to hear are I'm on my way home or taking my friend home.

Curfew?

We have one here, 11pm for  teens. There is some sort of "school hours" curfew as well. .  I'm pretty sure that graduated driver's license thing is Texas law too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Roadblocks is one of those things the nutter  types seem to trigger on.  Even in this state, where they are illegal under state law,   you'll get guys foaming at the mouth about them.

View Quote

So even if they are illegal, it's ok for the cops to run them and not ok for "citizens" to tell them they are illegal?  

With that logic, it was also ok for the cop at the range to tell me that if I did not have a "Class 3 license" (his words) and had a suppressor, he would arrest me because it is otherwise illegal to own one?  Even though I tried to explain to him that what he said was incorrect?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So even if they are illegal, it's ok for the cops to run them and not ok for "citizens" to tell them they are illegal?  

With that logic, it was also ok for the cop at the range to tell me that if I did not have a "Class 3 license" (his words) and had a suppressor, he would arrest me because it is otherwise illegal to own one?  Even though I tried to explain to him that what he said was incorrect?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guys foaming at the mouth have never seen one.  Don't know what one would look like in the first place and have not a fucking clue about the supreme court decisions on the matter. It's all OMG!!! POLICE STATE!!!  bullshit.

Just "look at me" drama.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
You know what'll really change people's minds about cops?

A funny wink from a cop after some nonsense about good cops and bad cops.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ever hear of internal affairs???

Majority of cops terminated from my agency in last year were as a direct result of IA investigating citizen complaints.  A GOOD cop hates a BAD cop worse than any citizen ever will.

That's adorable.

Really.

You know what'll really change people's minds about cops?

A funny wink from a cop after some nonsense about good cops and bad cops.

No one could change your mind by saying anything. Give it a rest. You sound like a petulant child that had his feelings hurt. Do you need a tissue or someone to wipe your nose?

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The guys foaming at the mouth have never seen one.  Don't know what one would look like in the first place and have not a fucking clue about the supreme court decisions on the matter. It's all OMG!!! POLICE STATE!!!  bullshit.

Just "look at me" drama.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just "look at me" drama.

But ... they're still ok in your book to run them in your state, even though they are illegal?  That's what I'm asking.

FWIW, I've never encountered one, and honestly don't know what I would do if I did.  Not a mouth-foamer here, but really am concerned with the way it seems that our rights seem to be eroding away, little by little.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:54:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

But ... they're still ok in your book to run them in your state, even though they are illegal?  That's what I'm asking.

FWIW, I've never encountered one, and honestly don't know what I would do if I did.  Not a mouth-foamer here, but really am concerned with the way it seems that our rights seem to be eroding away, little by little.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just "look at me" drama.

They are not done here.  I'm not really sure what you are asking?  I would not be okay with it if they somehow ignored the law.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

No one could change your mind by saying anything. Give it a rest. You sound like a petulant child that had his feelings hurt. Do you need a tissue or someone to wipe your nose?  
View Quote

Yes please.

I'm really broken up over here.  I don't know if I can bear it.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes please.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes please.

'
Well, it's nice to see you admitting that you have a problem.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#33]
William Binney would probably know a police state when he saw one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In for the "you can film me but don't get in my way" butthurt.

Simple really.

Filming from an out of the way position is OK. If you move close enough to distract the officer that isn't OK. The officer has his attention focused on the driverfor his safety. If you distract him or start trying to talk to him you will be obstructing. It really isn't a hard concept.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They are not done here.  I'm not really sure what you are asking?  I would not be okay with it if they somehow ignored the law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I was asking.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#36]
There are idiots on both sides of this.   I've always been polite at stops and not had a problem.

Most police are good people but some don't understand their own powers and think not jumping when they say jump is illegal.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There are idiots on both sides of this.   I've always been polite at stops and not had a problem.

Most police are good people but some don't understand their own powers and think not jumping when they say jump is illegal.

View Quote

Everyone pretty much answers to bosses. Policy is set at the top.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you didn't call and complain?

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah. OK. I'm sure that's why cops ask questions like "where are you going?" So they can be helpful and tell the fine motorist about some issue up the road.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

You got me
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yes please.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes please.

You should really just walk away from this one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No, it's pretty much exactly what I originally said.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do know 911 comes back to an actual phone # right?
70% of the domestic disputes that is the same excuses they always give.
I always love it when I do a call back and their phone rings.

As for the enlightening part, I'm not going to waste my time trying.
Seems you have it all figured out.

When you're told, as they're leaving, that they're going door to door because the system is generating false calls...

Calling back could have saved a lot of time.

I feel bad for the guys at the end of the street who actually called, though.

Well that really sounds a lot different than your original claim.

No, it's pretty much exactly what I originally said.

No this time around the officers told you that 911 system was down but a call was coming in from your street.
They were checking each residence because they were trying to locate a DV in the area.

Your first post made it sound like the cops were just showing up at your door and ordered to speak to everyone over a 911 call.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I love these threads.  All the kids that got picked on in HS think they deserve respect after their 3 credits of legal education and a pistol training class.  
View Quote

Yeah!!!
You sure told us nerds a thing or two.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

No this time around the officers told you that 911 system was down but a call was coming in from your street.

They were checking each residence because they were trying to locate a DV in the area.

Your first post made it sound like the cops were just showing up at your door and ordered to speak to everyone over a 911 call.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Call?  It was calls.  Dozens of them, apparently.  From every house in the area.  There was no DV or actual call for that matter.

So essentially they did just show up at the door and demand to speak to everyone.

Why are you so hung up on this particular incident that you feel the need to invent things that didn't happen?

Quoted:

And miss out on being called a petulant child by government employees?

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#44]

Officer: Sure.
Driver: drives away turns left onto what is now effectively a dead end
Officer: Shrug & smirk

This!!!

Only a small percentage of the badges in this thread are known JBT's.  But they JBT's have certainly been out retarded by the cop haters this time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love these threads.  All the kids that got picked on in HS think they deserve respect after their 3 credits of legal education and a pistol training class.  

Yeah!!!

Damn..... My "legal class", aka academy was 800 CE hours I got screwed...
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:20:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So far I have yet to be shown how taping someone in full public view obstructs them from doing anything. It aint physics and you aint Heisenberg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm videotaping, so I can obstruct and distract you, and encourage the guy being arrested to "kick your ass", and block traffic, and push officers off the guy being arrested.
Right?

So far I have yet to be shown how taping someone in full public view obstructs them from doing anything. It aint physics and you aint Heisenberg

Can I be uncertain?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's funny.

Quoted:
 A GOOD cop hates a BAD cop worse than any citizen ever will.

why?

Because through the looking glass of GD badge lickers, that statement is simple not true.
Who defended Tshamba even after conviction?

Posters who I genuinely assume are good people and cops have defended really shitty LEO actions.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Call?  It was calls.  Dozens of them, apparently.  From every house in the area.  There was no DV or actual call for that matter.

So essentially they did just show up at the door and demand to speak to everyone.

Why are you so hung up on this particular incident that you feel the need to invent things that didn't happen?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's that you seem to embellish things. Your a drama queen.

When everyone of your dealings with the popo end up ugly there is a common denominator.
You.
I find it amazing that there are 100s of 1000s of people who deal with police every day without issues. But with you, it is different. I wonder why.

I was a complete hellion until I joined the military and some while enlisted for 6 yrs. Funny though I never had any negative dealings with cops.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
DBL TAP
View Quote

MOOOOFFFFF!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Contempt of cop doesn't go well for 84-year jaywalker in NYC.

Contempt:  Pretend to "No speaky Engrish" and keep jaywalking when cops try to ticket him in NY.
Result: get arrested and beat-up by cops.  nypost.com
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top