Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/14/2018 3:55:13 PM EDT
“No one from the state was going to take my firearms without due process,” says Leonard Cottrell, after successfully staving off law enforcement and the courts from confiscating his firearms.

Cottrell, an Iraq War veteran, was at work when he received a phone call from his wife.
The cops were there, busting in to take his guns away.
It all started after a casual conversation his son had at school...

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/07/cops-sent-to-seize-veterans-guns-without-a-warrant-he-refused-to-turn-them-over/
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Police said their visit was sparked by a conversation that Leonard Cottrell Jr.’s 13-year-old son had had with another student at the school. Cottrell said he was told his son and the other student were discussing security being lax and what they would have to do to escape a school shooting at Millstone Middle School.

The conversation was overheard by another student, who went home and told his parents, and his mother panicked. The mom then contacted the school, which contacted the State Police, according to Cottrell.

he visit from the troopers came around 10 p.m. on June 14, 2018, Cottrell said, a day after Gov. Phil Murphy signed several gun enforcement bills into law.

After several hours, Cottrell said police agreed not to take the guns but to allow him to move them to another location while the investigation continued.

“They had admitted several times that my son made no threat to himself or other students or the school or anything like that,” he said.

Cottrell said he made it very clear to the police that he was “not going to willingly give up my constitutional rights where there’s no justifiable cause, no warrants, no nothing.”

The troopers searched his son’s room and found nothing, Cottrell said.

“To appease everybody, I had my firearms stored someplace else,” he said. “That way, during the course of the investigation, my son doesn’t have access to them and it’s on neutral ground and everything and everybody’s happy.”

“In the Garden State, the usual approach is to confiscate first and ask questions later, and victims of this approach often don’t know their rights.  ?In this case, the victim pushed back and confiscation was avoided — but the circumstances surrounding the incident are outrageous. A student expressing concern over lack of security is not a reason to send police to the student’s home — but it might be a reason to send police to the school to keep students and teachers safe” said Scott L. Bach, executive director of the Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs and a member of the NRA board of directors.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
One of these attempts to seize someone's firearms because of something that someone overheard is going to end badly for everybody.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#3]
How'd they know about his guns... Oh, NJ i see
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
But NJ cops are fine upstanding supporters of the second amendment and are not fascists in any way--or so the NJ cop in ARFCOM has assured us.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#5]
LaW enForCeMEnT iS oN oUr Side, tHey WouLd nEvEr TaKe oUr guNs!
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Never register your guns.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#7]
New Jersey is a bad place to live
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Luckily all those 4473's will never see the light of day.
Again.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#9]
We did this before.  He was right to stand his ground.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#10]
The kid who ratted will be the target during all dodgeball games henceforth.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#11]
They're succeeding in making gun owners pariahs, which was part of their plan all along. One or two more school shootings and even the free states will pass such laws. They won't survive a SCOTUS challenge, but that will take years. I just hope the test case doesn't have to die in the process.

If you own guns and have school aged children, you better make damn sure your kids know better than to talk about guns at school and prepare your wife and kids as to how to deal with the police should they come to seize your property. They guy in the story lucked out, you might not. Might be a good idea to have a pro 2A laywer's number handy.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm glad nobody was injured.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The kid who ratted will be the target during all dodgeball games henceforth.
View Quote
dodgeball is no longer allowed.  that is why we have all these soy boys
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Appeasing gun-grabbers, generally couched as “compromise,” is impossible. It’s like throwing a scrap of flesh to a circling pack of jackals and expecting them to be sated and leave you alone — instead of sensing opportunity and fear, and moving in closer.

Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Wife invited the cops in...how nice.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Again.
View Quote
A 4473 doesnt mean anything without UBC.

"Yeah, I bought it butI didn'tlike it so I sold it face to face."

Why do you think the left wants them so bad?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
One of these attempts to seize someone's firearms because of something that someone overheard is going to end badly for everybody.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Conspire to get out of a government kill zone?

Attempt to plan an escape from, and survive an anti-2A pretext event?

Think for yourself, in a way other than sacrificial sheep?

Take their guns!
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
New Jersey is a bad place to live
View Quote
New Jersey  is a communist state, out of control.  I lived in Delaware decades and refused to enter that state for any reason.  The only time I went in that state, and that was in the mid 90's was to pick up cases of ammo being sold way too cheap. Other than that, never. The people of NJ, and a lot of other states for that matter better wake the fuck up!  This has nothing to do with safety, but disarming and criminalizing Americans.  
Same state a woman was murdered waiting for her CCW permit.  After repeated threats from ex, she was on waiting list and he killed her waiting for the permit!
Fuck that state.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#20]
who went home and told his parents, and his mother panicked.
View Quote
stupid cunts
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
This shit here!
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Again.

Correct. And regarding State registrations, they can be avoided as long as there are other States to move to with better laws. There is no reason to comply with a restrictive State's laws (for more than a couple of utiltiy firearms). It's like burying them for later.

Once registration is national, non-compliance gets stickier.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#23]
IT'S HAPPENING

THE COPS CAME TO TAKE AWAY THE GUNS

... Except they didn't. They agreed to let him move them away from his kids reach until they figured out for sure what was going on.

That's kind of a shocker, being Jersey I figured he was done for
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#24]
"bu....bu.....bu.......but nobody want's to take your guns from you"
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fo show
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Five of my nicest military collection guns were given to me by an older retired Army officer returning to his family home in NJ. He told me it was too much trouble to try to bring them back. They are a C96 with stock, a 1943 Mauser P38 w/holster,a 1944 paratrooper M1 carbine, a 1964 Winchester Model 70 in .308, and a 1958 Colt Frontier revolver.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We did this before.  He was right to stand his ground.
View Quote
He did not stand his ground, he gave his guns up as they were no longer in his home.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
But NJ cops are fine upstanding supporters of the second amendment and are not fascists in any way--or so the NJ cop in ARFCOM has assured us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I 'member.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Guns be scary!
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you sure about that?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#31]
That's fucked up. I'm glad he didn't capitulate. That could have gone very badly.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
One of these attempts to seize someone's firearms because of something that someone said they overheard is going to end badly for everybody.
View Quote
Yup.

Fuck laws like that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Small wonder nobody likes cops.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Seems that is the way things have been heading.

My nieces son got an AR for last Christmas.

After the Christmas break, he returned to school, a Catholic high school. Someone at school asked him what he got for Christmas and he told them he got an AR 15.

Within an hour, the school was in lock down, he was in the parking lot being frisked and his car being searched. He was asked all kinds of stupid questions by the police.

My question was would the same thing have happened if he said he got a Ruger 10-22 for Christmas?? No, but he is old enough to legally own it and there was never anything said other than what he got for Christmas.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Fuckin' Joisey.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
More of a cause to go in guns a blazin
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you sure about that?
https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/pressofatlanticcity.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/0f/60ffa0fa-00e5-11e5-b510-d7c5acef7235/555fce6a6bed4.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C803
Those guys aren't wearing jackboots.

Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks Trump, you shit sucking, ass licking, cock carousel riding, dipshit!
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
And therein lies the problem, they have successfully done away with the 2nd without actually doing away with it, they have made it so any excuse even 3rd party innuendo can warrant confiscation.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Fuck that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you ever had to go through a background check for a firearm it's registered.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you sure about that?
https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/pressofatlanticcity.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/0f/60ffa0fa-00e5-11e5-b510-d7c5acef7235/555fce6a6bed4.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C803

No they just look like they're about to invade Poland
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Conspire to get out of a government kill zone?

Attempt to plan an escape from, and survive an anti-2A pretext event?

Think for yourself, in a way other than sacrificial sheep?

Take their guns!
View Quote
This. Outrageous!
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thanks Trump, you shit sucking, ass licking, cock carousel riding, dipshit!
View Quote
I didn't know Trump was a cop in NJ.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Note, the cops DID come for the guns when ordered to.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Wow, those uniforms have a certain, shall we say "germanic" look about them.

Yikes.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm kinda curious what being a vet has to do with this story, other than getting to play a sympathy card for extra attention for the author.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Note, the cops DID come for the guns when ordered to.
View Quote
Just like most of them everywhere would do.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top