Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The kid who ratted will be the target during all dodgeball games henceforth.
View Quote
You funny as fuck.
Dodgeball in NJ? Nope, too dangerous.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
LaW enForCeMEnT iS oN oUr Side, tHey WouLd nEvEr TaKe oUr guNs!
View Quote
<3
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Police said their visit was sparked by a conversation that Leonard Cottrell Jr.'s 13-year-old son had had with another student at the school. Cottrell said he was told his son and the other student were discussing security being lax and what they would have to do to escape a school shooting at Millstone Middle School.

The conversation was overheard by another student, who went home and told his parents, and his mother panicked. The mom then contacted the school, which contacted the State Police, according to Cottrell.

he visit from the troopers came around 10 p.m. on June 14, 2018, Cottrell said, a day after Gov. Phil Murphy signed several gun enforcement bills into law.

After several hours, Cottrell said police agreed not to take the guns but to allow him to move them to another location while the investigation continued.

"They had admitted several times that my son made no threat to himself or other students or the school or anything like that," he said.

Cottrell said he made it very clear to the police that he was "not going to willingly give up my constitutional rights where there's no justifiable cause, no warrants, no nothing."

The troopers searched his son's room and found nothing, Cottrell said.

"To appease everybody, I had my firearms stored someplace else," he said. "That way, during the course of the investigation, my son doesn't have access to them and it's on neutral ground and everything and everybody's happy."

"In the Garden State, the usual approach is to confiscate first and ask questions later, and victims of this approach often don't know their rights.  ?In this case, the victim pushed back and confiscation was avoided  but the circumstances surrounding the incident are outrageous. A student expressing concern over lack of security is not a reason to send police to the student's home  but it might be a reason to send police to the school to keep students and teachers safe" said Scott L. Bach, executive director of the Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs and a member of the NRA board of directors.
View Quote
"In the Garden State, the usual approach is to confiscate first and ask questions later..."

Now where have i heard that line before?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#4]
“No one from the state was going to take my firearms without due process,” says Leonard Cottrell, after successfully staving off law enforcement and the courts from confiscating his firearms. Cottrell, an Iraq War veteran, was at work when he received a phone call from his wife. The cops were there, busting in to take his guns away. It all started after a casual conversation his son had at school.

Ammoland reports:

Police said their visit was sparked by a conversation that Leonard Cottrell Jr.’s 13-year-old son had had with another student at the school. Cottrell said he was told his son and the other student were discussing security being lax and what they would have to do to escape a school shooting at Millstone Middle School.

The conversation was overheard by another student, who went home and told his parents, and his mother panicked. The mom then contacted the school, which contacted the State Police, according to Cottrell.

The visit from the troopers came around 10 p.m. on June 14, 2018, Cottrell said, a day after Gov. Phil Murphy signed several gun enforcement bills into law.

After several hours, Cottrell said police agreed not to take the guns but to allow him to move them to another location while the investigation continued.

“They had admitted several times that my son made no threat to himself or other students or the school or anything like that,” he said.

Cottrell said he made it very clear to the police that he was “not going to willingly give up my constitutional rights where there’s no justifiable cause, no warrants, no nothing.”

The troopers searched his son’s room and found nothing, Cottrell said.

“To appease everybody, I had my firearms stored someplace else,” he said. “That way, during the course of the investigation, my son doesn’t have access to them and it’s on neutral ground and everything and everybody’s happy.”

“In the Garden State, the usual approach is to confiscate first and ask questions later, and victims of this approach often don’t know their rights.  ?In this case, the victim pushed back and confiscation was avoided — but the circumstances surrounding the incident are outrageous. A student expressing concern over lack of security is not a reason to send police to the student’s home — but it might be a reason to send police to the school to keep students and teachers safe” said Scott L. Bach, executive director of the Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs and a member of the NRA board of directors.

NJ.com adds:

Cottrell, a disabled U.S. Army veteran who served three tours during “Operation Iraqi Freedom,” owns a shotgun and a pistol. He has all the correct permits to own the firearms, he said, and predominately uses the shotgun to hunt.

He said his wife allowed the officers to enter the home, and with her permission, they searched his son’s room — but they did not find any weapons, he said. The officers, he said, didn’t have a warrant but still wanted to take his guns. Cottrell wouldn’t let them.

“No one from the state was going to take my firearms without due process,” he said Thursday.

fucking bullshit
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Small wonder nobody likes cops.
View Quote
That's quite an overstatement
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But NJ cops are fine upstanding supporters of the second amendment and are not fascists in any way--or so the NJ cop in ARFCOM has assured us.
View Quote
Amen
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I feel like we've done this already
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#10]
he needs to get more exercise
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll just wait for Marion Hammer, Wayne Lapairre and Jeff Sessions to spring into action to defend the constitution.

Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Seems that is the way things have been heading.

My nieces son got an AR for last Christmas.

After the Christmas break, he returned to school, a Catholic high school. Someone at school asked him what he got for Christmas and he told them he got an AR 15.

Within an hour, the school was in lock down, he was in the parking lot being frisked and his car being searched. He was asked all kinds of stupid questions by the police.

My question was would the same thing have happened if he said he got a Ruger 10-22 for Christmas?? No, but he is old enough to legally own it and there was never anything said other than what he got for Christmas.
View Quote
Damn.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wow, those uniforms have a certain, shall we say "germanic" look about them.

Yikes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
The Germans wore them better.  These guys look a little ... uneven.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A 4473 doesnt mean anything without UBC.

"Yeah, I bought it butI didn'tlike it so I sold it face to face."

Why do you think the left wants them so bad?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Luckily all those 4473's will never see the light of day.
Again.
A 4473 doesnt mean anything without UBC.

"Yeah, I bought it butI didn'tlike it so I sold it face to face."

Why do you think the left wants them so bad?
Same reason the left is in a tizzy over 'ghost guns'.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never register your guns.
Again.
4473s are gross

Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Don’t worry guys, our local cops will never go against the 2nd or attempt confiscation.

-signed
The Idiot
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#19]
This shit pisses me off. I think this is what the Democrats want.... somebody's going to fire back when they resist. Then we're all going to be labeled cop killers and "OMG we need more laws!"

Complete horseshit
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

dodgeball is no longer allowed.  that is why we have all these soy boys
View Quote
We called it 'slaughter ball'.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Point in the story that seems pretty positive...

Sounds like a good woman/wife getting hubby into the loop quickly.

Hope the best for them dealing with this garbage.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Germans wore them better.  These guys look a little ... uneven.
View Quote
Front row alone has 4 different gig lines...and they were having a department portrait done.

No 2 duty-belt buckles are identically aligned in that front row.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm kinda curious what being a vet has to do with this story, other than getting to play a sympathy card for extra attention for the author.
View Quote
Well, none of us can actually read the author's mind, but the fact that the guy was a vet of a semi-current conflict might give perspective as to the guy's knowledge of weapons, responsibility with weapons, and service to the country with weapons.  None of the allegations or trumped up BS at the school had anything to do with PTSD or a vet off his rocker for some reason.  So, the author's reference was just information about the gun owner that might give a better perspective than if it was some 300-pound neckbeard living in momma's basement with mental issues.  I don't think a "sympathy card" was the motive.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#24]
They showed up at 10pm?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Where is your bill of sale who you sold it too?

Don't have one? Search warrant.

I can see that day coming.
View Quote
A bill of sale... of whom you sold it to?  Do you write a bill of sale for yourself whenever you sell anything else?

I've never seen someone do that for a piece of furniture.  Or a car.  Or a washer/dryer set.  Or a set of steak knives.  Or a television.   Or a computer.  Or a china doll.  Or a tractor.  Or machine tools.

Why would anyone do that?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Come in my house without a warrant, and you won't have to look for my guns.

You'll know exactly where the fuck they're at.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
One of these attempts to seize someone's firearms because of something that someone overheard is going to end badly for everybody.
View Quote
Very badly. The antis will cream their pants over it but others who actually lose their lives over it will be the ones who suffer.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I like how the author has left out everything as to what was reported to the state police.

I bet it went something along the lines of, "OMG!!!! A kid, who has access to guns is talking about shooting up the school!!"

So the cops went to investigate. The very thing we would expect them to do.

I know if we get such a report it is acted on very quickly.
View Quote
The vet in question should have a long and very loud talk to his wife about “you don’t open the door for the cops.....you don’t talk to them, and you damn sure don’t let them in the house.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My ex's attorney was very upset that I did not have inventory of my firearms, nor bills of sale concerning my private purchases and sales of my firearms.
View Quote
Normal people don't write themselves bills of sale of everything they've ever sold to someone else on the off chance that a divorce attorney might want it.

Your ex wife's attorney was being unreasonable to expect it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you ever had to go through a background check for a firearm it's registered.
View Quote
Background check means they know you bought it at one time.

Registration means they know you own it now

Like I said previously, without UBC, the former does not equal the latter.

As long as you can sell a gun you own without a paper trail, a background check by itself will not be a defacto registration.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Once I figured out that they took place in New Jersey I lost any further interest in this story. Same if it was NY, California, Oregon, and several other states. Why is anyone surprised, based on the location, that this happened. The only thing that surprises me is why they didn't seize the guns anyway? NJ and NY have never been known to be too concerned about abiding by the constitution before. Oh, this is one of those Gunga Din threads.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I didn't know Trump was a cop in NJ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks Trump, you shit sucking, ass licking, cock carousel riding, dipshit!
And this comment is why the 2A is fucked as a whole...

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/376097-trump-take-the-guns-first-go-through-due-process-second
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I like how the author has left out everything as to what was reported to the state police.

I bet it went something along the lines of, "OMG!!!! A kid, who has access to guns is talking about shooting up the school!!"

View Quote
Yeah, I was wondering about that.  Might be the author wasn't given or had access to that info.  Hard to tell.  There's probably some effort given to conceal the identity of the reporting kid at school to keep the info pipeline open.

I don't know.  Sometimes here on GD you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.  If the police didn't respond, and a mass shooting occurred, I'm sure we'd hear a scenario like the Parkland shooting and the fine response...or lack thereof...of the FBI and SO.  These Jersey cops did respond and apparently assessed that no one needed to be arrested, and they didn't seize the guns regardless of how that played out.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I didn't expect them to try to take his guns... If they really think there is a threat, do something about the kid they think made the threat. Don't try to take someones guns.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#39]
But...but...I was assured by liberals that these "protection order" confiscations would NEVER be abused!

That's...IMPOSSIBLE!

Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks Trump, you shit sucking, ass licking, cock carousel riding, dipshit!
And this comment is why the 2A is fucked as a whole...

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/376097-trump-take-the-guns-first-go-through-due-process-second
I didn't know cops in NJ took their work orders from random comments said by the president during a meeting they had absolutely nothing to do with.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This shit pisses me off. I think this is what the Democrats want.... somebody's going to fire back when they resist. Then we're all going to be labeled cop killers and "OMG we need more laws!"

Complete horseshit
View Quote
This scenario is actually by design. It is called baiting. They have all those laws already written just for this kind of event.
The best I can say is not to take the bait.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Never register your guns.
View Quote
What guns?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thank God you're here to save us.

Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I would like to know what was actually reported.
View Quote
I'm sure you could probably assume based on the story combined with your work experience. A kid hears another kid, the kid tells his mom, who calls the school, who call the state police....... Its a big game of telephone. Not sure about your dispatchers, but ours tend to hype everything up like the world is ending.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I would fully expect if LE had been told the minor son of a gun owner had been reported to be a potential future active shooter to secure the firearms first in some manner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't expect them to try to take his guns... If they really think there is a threat, do something about the kid they think made the threat. Don't try to take someones guns.
I would fully expect if LE had been told the minor son of a gun owner had been reported to be a potential future active shooter to secure the firearms first in some manner.
We'll never know what was truly said between the two kids at school. More than likely whoever overheard them either blew what was said out of proportion or only heard what they wanted to hear.

We're talking about two kids who probably when they were talking were saying things that may be made sense to them but didn't make sense or alarmed the person that overheard them.

Whatever the truth is, the fact is-these red flag laws are going to end up getting people killed. It's only a matter of time. Either the person the law enforcement is trying to interact with does something stupid or the law enforcement themselves does something stupid or both.

Whatever sets it off, the outcome is going to be bad.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#49]
God Bless this guy

Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The vet in question should have a long and very loud talk to his wife about “you don’t open the door for the cops.....you don’t talk to them, and you damn sure don’t let them in the house.
View Quote
The outcome is probably better that they did talk to the police. I'm sure a search warrant could of been signed within hours and then the father's guns would of lawfully been seized.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top