Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lol. Some dickhead brought in a car that he 'painted' with a roller when I was in body shop school. Wanted us to strip it and paint it right.   Keep in mind that it was a tech school, so I was pretty much paying money so I could go work for free. The instructor laughed him out of the parking lot.

Come to find out the real dickhead was the instructor himself. Fucker had us strip his corvette which was resprayed every course for the last 5 years. It was like literally sanding through a Fuckin rainbow. Damn that guy loved some shitty colors.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lol. Some dickhead brought in a car that he 'painted' with a roller when I was in body shop school. Wanted us to strip it and paint it right.   Keep in mind that it was a tech school, so I was pretty much paying money so I could go work for free. The instructor laughed him out of the parking lot.

Come to find out the real dickhead was the instructor himself. Fucker had us strip his corvette which was resprayed every course for the last 5 years. It was like literally sanding through a Fuckin rainbow. Damn that guy loved some shitty colors.

Sounds like the 69 Roadrunner we did a couple years ago.  Came in for some panel alignment, block it and shoot it.  Started blocking it and realized it had 13 layers of material on it.  Fucker looked like a jawbreaker.  Ended up stripping it bare and starting over.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2016 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Unless you want an Earl Scheib for $99.95, a good paint job is in the thousands.
View Quote

I painted my old Chevy and If I counted my own labor it would easily been a few grand
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's kinda what the dealer said when my wife's car was done and the bumper was orange peel and dust.  No biggie.  
That's what a booth is for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So everything in your shop had a kind of red tint to it after that, right?

LOL, no, cover everything in sheet plastic, keep the floor wet while painting and then afterwards scrub the floor with a good cleaner...back to normal in a few  days...I' ve paint at least a hundred vehicles over the years..no biggie at all...

That's kinda what the dealer said when my wife's car was done and the bumper was orange peel and dust.  No biggie.  
That's what a booth is for.

Orange peel is from either not mixing the paint right or not applying it right....even in the best booths I have seen guys get dust, normally it is due to lack of prep work and actually comes from the vehicle being painted...
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Painting your car is expensive for the same reasons health care is expensive. Insurance companies

DA that car, high build primer then spray with awlgrip.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My girlfriend  has a 9 year old Hyundai Tiburon with 30,000 miles on it.  The paint is going bad, and I suggested that she look into getting it repainted since it has such low miles.  Two different shops in our area quoted 4,000 to 5,000 for a decent paint job.  Seriously?    

When did prices for getting a car painted go so sky high?

Does that sound right to you guys?

View Quote

Leave it the fuck alone

It is a $6K car
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

First mistake, sending a woman to get quotes on auto work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My girlfriend  has a 9 year old Hyundai Tiburon with 30,000 miles on it.  The paint is going bad, and I suggested that she look into getting it repainted since it has such low miles.  Two different shops in our area quoted 4,000 to 5,000 for a decent paint job.  Seriously?    

First mistake, sending a woman to get quotes on auto work.

Actually no. Many men are too lazy to go get a quote on auto work. They send their wife or girlfriend out to get a quote and then they get on the internet and start barking. Women seem to be quite a bit smarter these days as this thread has proven. LMAO at a good many of the replies here. Funny stuff, just can't make this stuff up.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I know a guy who pays his painter $20 an hour. Good painter, he is reliable, does not drink or use drugs, shows up to work on time everyday, cleans up his work area and cleans his tools. His paint jobs look good and he does not dick around, no customer complaints after the job is done. Other Shops pay about half that much and go through painters faster than most people buy new socks, missing tools, dirty work areas, and numerous complaints.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A paint job requires a specialized skill set. Not just any Liberal Arts or Puppetry major can do it.

$12/hr. 5 years experience required. Must have complete set of tools.

I know a guy who pays his painter $20 an hour. Good painter, he is reliable, does not drink or use drugs, shows up to work on time everyday, cleans up his work area and cleans his tools. His paint jobs look good and he does not dick around, no customer complaints after the job is done. Other Shops pay about half that much and go through painters faster than most people buy new socks, missing tools, dirty work areas, and numerous complaints.

Imagine that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 10:52:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
$35 to paint mine.
View Quote

Pics not loading...

Link Posted: 2/26/2016 10:55:03 PM EDT
[#9]
19k for paint and body work on my 69 AMX.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Pics not loading...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$35 to paint mine.

Pics not loading...

You don't want to see it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:03:37 AM EDT
[#11]
This is why I love old single stage paint. Sure, it can fade and isn't as well protected as a paint job with a clear coat, but at least with an old single stage job I can wash it, clay it, hit with a glaze and a wax and a buffer and it looks great for a few months and be out only a few bucks
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Good body work is expensive.

$11,000 to repaint my F-350 Crew dually after it was keyed up by a kid in the neighborhood.

AD code black with clear no bent sheet metal. About $3,500 on material alone.

For that money, I'll get a flawless show quality job fully finished like a black mirror by a reputable shop with a six figure a year painter and highly paid finish men.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:31:11 AM EDT
[#13]
$3500 in materials alone.  Did it in my garage.

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:38:35 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Sweet....nice job....
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is a picture of my former airplane. It's not really very big. I charge $10k to do this. I'm not getting rich but I keep the lights on.

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:48:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I was quoted $3500 by a guy locally to repaint my 94 z-71. That included removing and replacing all of the trim and decals.

Service King has repainted half of the truck on two ocassions and is under lifetime warranty. I took it in to get a quote on me paying for the half that wasn't under warranty and having them re-do their areas that are under warranty in order to get the whole thing painted. $5700 to paint half the truck fuck them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:49:35 AM EDT
[#17]
the price of paint is crazy. I wanted to get my F150 done in a flat black or Flat Green. between the 4 local shops I talked to the average was in the $8k range. I gave up and it will stay white for now. Once it is paid off I might just CARC it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 1:14:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$35 to paint mine.

Pics not loading...

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 1:18:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Move into climate controlled, dust free garage. Sand. Tape. Pull interior. More tape. More sand. Clean. Prime. Wait. Paint. Sand. Paint. Sand. Clear. Sand. Clear. Buff. Inspect.

Nothing that takes that much time is going to look good for under 4 or 5k.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 1:31:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 1:34:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Why paint it?

If you must, find someone with a sprayer and experience.
You prep it.
Profit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 1:45:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
price out what a gallon of paint for the car is. I'll bet it is expensive as hell
View Quote

Not really, unless you get into the really crazy stuff like House of Color.  Most of the price is in labor and materials such as sand paper, masking, etc.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 3:45:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
19k for paint and body work on my 69 AMX.
View Quote

Removing & replacing rear quarter panels is a bit out of scope
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 4:13:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Look into Plasti-dipping.  Dip your Car
View Quote

Or vinyl.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 6:29:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I spent a month repainting a pickup I bought, it's fucking hard, and I guarantee you need a bigger compressor than the one you just bought for the job.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#27]

It's a fucking Hyundai!

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why paint it?

If you must, find someone with a sprayer and experience.
You prep it.
Profit.
View Quote

Yep, easy as that. You can thin it with gasoline and add some ATF if you get fisheyes. Wipe the car down first with red shop rags doused in lacquer thinner to clean it first!

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I went to college for body work and painting cars.  After three semesters of seeing what happens once you get all this training and seek employment,  it looked like a very dead end road unless I opened my own shop.

The guys I was in class with were working full time in shops as prep guys.  They would do all the stripping, sanding and cleaning.  For a basic re-spray (ie;  no door jambs, under the hood, etc),  they could burn though 4-5 cars a day.  They were getting paid $10/hour.  Of all the guys I was in class with,  two opened up a shop together and one went on to paint cars professionally at other shops.  He ended up buying a shop in Detroit to do side work... that he lives in.  He's not making a fortune doing it for a living,  even with the side gigs.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 7:34:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can always go to MAACO.

But you get what you pay for.

Do you know how much work goes into a quality paint job?
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have had two cars painted.  

One for $1300  (small shop - one man operation) and one for $289  (Maaco).

On the Maaco job - they told me - look, we shoot it one color, no base/clear, and will look ok.  They took a pen and marked all the places on my car that need work.  He explained they wont fill/blend/feather ANY of that stuff for $289 - they simply wet sand the whole car, dry, mask, and shoot.

I did some of the prep myself, they did the rest.  Sure, it had plenty of orange peel, and I could find all sorts of defects in it.... but it looked PERFECT from 30 feet.

The $1300 job was better.  I had to look harder for the defects, but I could still find them.  Places where it wasn't filled and sanded enough, or showing sand marks where it needed to be smoother out more with a finer grit, etc.  Plus the occasional piece of dust under the paint raising a small spot you can feel and see.

To do a quality base/clear, with all prep work, multiple coats, and then block sand out the orange peel.... and removal and reinstallation of emblems, lights, panels where necessary,  I can absolutely see that being $5000.  I could easily see 10-15 % of that being materials alone.
View Quote

Good from far, far from good.

I'm chuckling ... It's an old Hyundai.  My old beat to crap Hyundai has clearcoat that has completely deteriorated too.  I don't care, and I'm certainly not going to spend a couple grand on a paint job.  I'm also wondering if this wasn't a subtle troll thread.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm your Huckleberry.   I'll pick Good and cheap.

Quoted:
Good, fast or cheap - pick two.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#33]
A girlfriend in high school had one done in the 80's for 7.5k...I was quoted 9k for a car in the 90's, and 8k two weeks ago for a car I stripped myself, so you're actually getting a good price.  Prep work is time consuming and expensive, and my least favorite part of hot rodding.   Unfortunately, it makes or breaks the car.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#34]
I worked at a high quality body/custom shop for a while. "Regular" paint jobs started at about $4000. Custom/airbrush stuff went to $12,000 and up. And those prices were competitive within our market.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Good, fast or cheap - pick two.

Should be done in 4-5 years.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I worked at a high quality body/custom shop for a while. "Regular" paint jobs started at about $4000. Custom/airbrush stuff went to $12,000 and up. And those prices were competitive within our market.
View Quote

How much is pinstriping?
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
around $2k

but honestly not a bad option considering
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lot of fancy car wraps out there today.

around $2k

but honestly not a bad option considering
My first thought.  Why spend more on a paint job than the car is worth?

Wrap is quick and much cheaper

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#38]
About 10 years ago paid $4000 to paint black Cadillac sedan that had been keyed where the wife taught school.
Didn't drive it to school again.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Based on the colt ar15 to paint ratio, the cost to repaint a car has remained somewhat constant over 30 years in inflation adjusted dollars..
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Paint is insanely expensive...maybe 200 to 300 bucks per gallon depending on color, some may be higher ...materials alone will cost you 700 to 1000 bucks easy.

If you want it done right, you're gonna pay for it. Painting a car correctly is very labor intensive as previously mentioned.

Then you're paying a little for the warranty as well so keep that in mind.

Are you getting the door jambs done?

It's half a day just to tape the car, labor rates are not cheap.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's been steadily climbing. I just had quotes for a 79 Trans Am between 12k and 15k.
View Quote

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Lots of factors to consider-
Are you doing all the prep and body work?
Are you removing all the trim?
Are you putting the trim back on?
Are you striping the car?
Are you priming the car?
Are you wet sanding it and polishing it?
What color are you painting it?

If you do everything but paint run it by Macco and have them squirt it, they have the best painters in the game because they can't afford to screw up. They make money on the prep work and polishing not the painting.

$4k doesn't sound outrageous for what your asking if you don't plan on doing anything but dropping it off and picking it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of factors to consider-
Are you doing all the prep and body work?
Are you removing all the trim?
Are you putting the trim back on?
Are you striping the car?
Are you priming the car?
Are you wet sanding it and polishing it?
What color are you painting it?

If you do everything but paint run it by Macco and have them squirt it, they have the best painters in the game because they can't afford to screw up. They make money on the prep work and polishing not the painting.

$4k doesn't sound outrageous for what your asking if you don't plan on doing anything but dropping it off and picking it up.

Quoted for accurate questions.   Painting costs are about 65% prep labor, 20% paint and chemicals, and 15% skilled painter labor.

Most of the cost is in the prep, as you can see.

Want to save money?  
1.  Do as much of the prep as you can yourself.  Take off trim, mirrors, lights, door handles, etc.  The less they have to mask, the lower the prep cost.  
2.  Paint the same color as original.  That way door jambs and the like won't need secondary painting.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#43]
When I was a yoot my bros and I drove an old Chevrolet we got from our grandmother. A guy owed my Dad some money so he "took it out in trade". Got a nice shiny green paint job. Looked great.

Gathered up my buds and went down to the Gulf for some surfing. Made a run over to Florida for some beer during a rainstorm. Guy in the back seat looked out the rear window and saw something blowing off the car as we drove on. Got to the trailer that sold to minors, stepped out, looked at the car. It was green and black. The paint was coming off like Saran Wrap.

By the time I got home it was totally black.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's been steadily climbing. I just had quotes for a 79 Trans Am between 12k and 15k.
View Quote

These numbers sound a little more realistic than the $5000 quote.  It's obvious from some of the replies here that some of these guys haven't bought any paint products lately.  Thank the EPA for starters, because of all the insane regulations on the materials side, and then thank them again for the insane regulations on the shops.  I just finished a PPG school put on by my local jobber so that I'd be "qualified" to purchase products from them.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Recent deer collision with a 2014 Ford Focus. Required painting of entire passenger side. Total paint & labor was $2300.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Why is it getting so expensive?

A couple of years ago I got a quote for a full color change on a project truck.

$4,000. That was just minimal body work and paint, I was going to deliver them a bare shell (no drivetrain, interior, handles, glass etc). I thought that was acceptable.
Same paint job would cost me ~$8,000 now.

Is it labor costs, insurance or EPA that is driving the price spike?
View Quote

You mentioned the three key letters:  E.  P.  A.

The paints used today or "low VOC" types.  Volatile Organic Compounds, better known to the paint guys as "solvents".

The EPA is nuts about VOC's, because they insist they cause sunlight generated smog (true to some degree) and ozone layer depletion (debatable), along with global warming (laughable).

Paints with low VOC are MUCH more expensive than the older stuff.  A gallon of "old fashioned" acrylic enamel was probably on the order of $50.  Nowadays, the closest equivalent product will typically cost closer to $200/gallon.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Look into Plasti-dipping.  Dip your Car
View Quote

why?
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#48]
... if you take the time to look around, there are a lot of qualified amateurs that can do the same job for half the price.

You will need to ask around in the 'hood
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
a basic repaint should run around $3-4k at your normal body shop ETA: you didnt mention it but are you talking a color change?
its one thing if they are just having to sand down a clear coat
its another if the paint has degraded down past the base coat and maybe even has some rust repair

if you really want to check out what it takes to get classic cars painted "show quality"
$10k is pretty common
I helped a guy get classic car insurance on his '57 chevy
I honestly thought he was lying when he said the paint was $18k
nope.... I saw the invoice

View Quote

My dads paint was around 10k and that was with a healthy discount bartering. Just like doing an interior where people can spend 20k.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#50]
If you want a factory quality job that will last more than a couple years with proper care?

Several thousand, easy.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top