Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I think I could have physically in my youth. I was pretty solid runner, doing 18:XX 5K's into my early 40's. Decent Marathoner at 42, Ironman at 40. High alpine race in the Rocky's at 9000' four years ago.
Still can do 100 pushups at 51, Did 18 pullups this summer beating some college kids...  

The only doubt I have is the mind game of the cold water. I've done a lot of long open water swimming, but not in the cold Pacific Ocean. The cold water can mentally defeat you. I wish I would have given it a go..
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#2]
No.

ETA  BUD/S is designed to weed out anyone that isn't completely committed to making it through.  I don't want to be a SEAL that bad and never did.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Lol at the people that think they could pass because they're in such great shape.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm 45 and out of shape.

Even if I could physically, mentally I would be like "fuck that".  Shit, just getting the motivation to get out of bed to go to work is a chore lately.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I want to live more than I want to be a SEAL...so nope.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
20% of this site thinks they could pass BUD/S.

View Quote
Considering 30% of this site is made up of ex SEALs I think it is pretty low.

No, it is funny !!

The Navy says only about 6 percent of SEAL applicants meet the physical and intellectual requirements. Of the accepted applicants only about 25% pass buds.

1.5% of those that apply will pass the test.

Basically it means that even if the Navy thinks you have the physical ability most people don't have the mental toughness to do it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#7]
In my condition today - oh Hell no.  

At 24, knowing what I knew then - oh Hell no.

At 24, knowing what I know now - I flatter myself to think I could.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No.

ETA  BUD/S is designed to weed out anyone that isn't completely committed to making it through.  I don't want to be a SEAL that bad and never did.
View Quote
Exactly.

Physically? Sure. Mentally? No, because I don't want it. If I wanted it bad enough, sure I could pass.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Probably not. Like mentioned it would hinge on my mental faculties.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#10]
No. I've never been about to hold my arms over my head for a long time. Even when we were growing tobacco and hauling hay and 85% of the year was hard physical labor every day and I was stout as a bull.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Fuck it, I'll be that guy.

Back when I was in my prime, with 18 months to dedicate myself purely to prep?  Absolutely, with one caveat...injuries are the great random equalizer.  I've seen legit PT gods with the right heart and attitude wash out of similar schools, because if you blow an ACL or shatter an ankle or lose an eye or whatnot, you're still done.  And who knows when or if that'll happen to anybody in a school environment like that.

Actually, 18 months is way too long to prep.  If you're already in really good fighting shape and you're trying to get to the next level to get to a school like that, there isn't much you're gonna accomplish in the last 9 months that you won't accomplish in that first 9 months.  If you haven't figured out the necessary pool shit by then, another 9 months in the pool ain't getting you there.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm in my 30's and believe I could do it with less than 8 months prep under the scenario you put forth.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I could work on getting in shape for 6 months, then specifically train for 18 months.  And still fail.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No, it is funny !!

The Navy says only about 6 percent of SEAL applicants meet the physical and intellectual requirements. Of the accepted applicants only about 25% pass buds.

Basically it means that even if the Navy thinks you have the physical ability most people don't have the mental toughness to do it.
View Quote
Not saying BUDS is a total walk in the park, but one has to take a broader view of the statistics to find an underlying causality there.  Look at the pool the Navy is pulling from.  Not a diss against the Navy, but they are not pulling from people who have an infantry background at all.  That's a major point other services focus on when criticizing the SEALS in general.  The vast majority of people going to BUDS in the Navy have never really been in that sort of environment before, whereas when you look at the specops units schools/indocs for say the Army or Marine Corps, they have.  You don't get to even show up at those schools if you haven't had the required background humping rucks, PTing a lot, doing generally uncomfortable shitty things, etc.  In the Navy, not so much.  People in BUDS are learning infantry type shit for the very first time.

That skews those pass/fail statistics a ton.  So it isn't that BUDS is the hardest school on earth, it's a really hard school with perhaps the least prepared applicant pool of the big time special special schools.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I couldn't pass the Standard 17-21 Army PT Test if I had 18months. Way too broken for all that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Not a chance now or 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not saying BUDS is a total walk in the park, but one has to take a broader view of the statistics to find an underlying causality there.  Look at the pool the Navy is pulling from.  Not a diss against the Navy, but they are not pulling from people who have an infantry background at all.  That's a major point other services focus on when criticizing the SEALS in general.  The vast majority of people going to BUDS in the Navy have never really been in that sort of environment before, whereas when you look at the specops units schools/indocs for say the Army or Marine Corps, they have.  You don't get to even show up at those schools if you haven't had the required background humping rucks, PTing a lot, doing generally uncomfortable shitty things, etc.  In the Navy, not so much.  People in BUDS are learning infantry type shit for the very first time.

That skews those pass/fail statistics a ton.  So it isn't that BUDS is the hardest school on earth, it's a really hard school with perhaps the least prepared applicant pool of the big time special special schools.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it is funny !!

This thread is gonna get good.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#19]
44 yrs old, blown out knee and sketchy back. No way.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#20]
My eye sight and age would be an issue , but the physical aspect I could accomplish in the 18 month training.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it is funny !!

Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
128 “yes” and 548 “no” votes as of this post

I’m curious who these “yes” votes are coming from, as almost every member who has posted in this thread, has said they could not do it.

I am a bit surprised by how few have replied saying they could do it...I figured we’d have at least a few Squatdog types

Also, page four and still not even one dumbass joke about hair gel...what is happening to GD?
View Quote
I'd be willing to bet none of those 128 would make it 72 hours without ringing the bell.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#23]
My physical shape is irrelevant.

The sleep deprivation alone would fuck me up. I'd likely crack on day 3.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Now that we know that the membership of Arfcom could quadruple the success rate at BUD/S, I think it's time someone does a poll to see what percentage of membership can get into DEVGRU.  

ETA: as for me, they'd kick me out on health reasons... the recruiters in college looked at me like I had leprosy the moment I told them I was on an inhaler for asthma.  Add in a bad car accident 13 years ago, and... NO.  Even without the health issues, I'd at least like to know where the bell is the moment I arrived.  I wouldn't make it past the 1st day.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Yep, with no problems at all I suspect, after a little bit of careful prep work.

Said prep work being requesting, and receiving, the direct assistance and intervention of an actual deity.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty sure the guy you quoted can speak with some level of credibility.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#27]
I could have easily in my 20s but my ass is 45 so NO

and I consider myself in decent shape 
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#28]
If I was younger, I MAYBE might be able to get into good enough shape. But I am not a very efficient swimmer and I have discovered I fucking hate the cold.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Severe migraines if my schedule is off whack

NOPE, put me down for a fail
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd be DQ'ed in the water I'm afraid.  

I make a great terra firma warrior though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#31]
No. Even in my prime I had a problem running distances. Could never control my breathing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I believe I could give it a fair shake. I dedicate a very large chunk of my life to fitness and truly enjoy physically and emotionally pushing myself.

So, I'm not cocky enough to say I'd pass. But I can tell you I wouldn't quit until I actually lost consciousness or died, given I was 100 percent all in on the matter
View Quote
Cast or Tab
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Nope. My left leg, more specifically my left ankle is pretty fucked. I have a very low percentage of dorsiflexion over my left leg due to surgery complications. X-rays and muscle and tendon therapies made me limp less often but after a short period I'm back to limping on it. Good days and bad days.

Plus I'm 38 and I'm not the spring chicken I once was to put myself through that. Scratch a dozen years off and ankle surgeries I would be more inclined to give it one hell of a shot.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I voted yes. Especially if I'm in my early 20's and single, no family or life commitments, etc.  I seriously considered going that route, but the wife convinced me not to.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#35]
No.

Being fat and having destroyed my arm and my leg as a youth won't help, either. I could probably do the running bits with training, though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Retiree.  Nope.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I could learn to fight, shoot, manuever, run, swim, dive, all that crap.

but I'm man enough to admit that bone-chilling wet cold and sleep deprivation would have me ringing that bell sooner or later.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Given an unlimited budget, 18 months would probably be enough time for me to lobby enough congressmen to get "waivered" through by decree.

That's the only way my old fat crippled ass is getting that pin.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I voted yes. Especially if I'm in my early 20's and single, no family or life commitments, etc.  I seriously considered going that route, but the wife convinced me not to.
View Quote
If your wife could convince you I'm sure the instructors would have done the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Cardio would kill me now, but with 18 months to prepare and for my age I'd say I would give it a go. Dunno if I could mentally last
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If I wasn't missing half of a lung absolutely. I'm not in bad shape, would probably end up around same weight I am now just more muscle and cut fat.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Only if I could use my Hoveround.  I'm an old retired fart.

I'm HARD - Half Assed Retired Dude
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If I was in my early 20s, yeah. I was in pretty decent shape already and have an abnormally high pain tolerance. Also had a "fuck it all, I'm doing it" attitude back then.

Now? Let's not kid ourselves, shall we.
View Quote
I knew this thread would deliver.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If my fat ass walked into a recruiters office asking to work with the SEALS; they would redirect my ass to Sea World.
View Quote
Was going to post something like this...but yeah this is much better...
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm 25. Probably.

Then again I think the swimming, particularly the drown proofing would wash me out.

ETA: I only say probably because I already work 2 jobs (one being physical) and have had them land fucked up causing me to do one to two days working with no sleep.
View Quote
Please tell me some of you are just messing around...
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Nope...because I don't care about passing it.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Physically, yes. Mentally, absolutely not. I'd wash out week 1.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If your wife could convince you I'm sure the instructors would have done the same thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reality check, this.  If you can think of a few things on hand that you prioritize higher, rest assured you will ring that bell.  In the moment, your brain will be looking for outs.  If you have already found one just chilling on the couch, 100% chance your brain will find a reason to ring out when you're getting smoked in the surf.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#50]
uh, yes

and have the chest candy to prove it
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top