BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm fairly certain I could. I'm very physically fit, I'm extremely comfortable with water, already scuba dive, etc.

I'd love to try, just to see.
View Quote
So when is your ship date?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#2]
There are some people who could  never pass BUDS due their intolerance to cold. You need a body type that has evolved to tolerate cold. That is one reason they are mostly people who's ancestors came from northern climates.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I was a Corpsman and would rather be around some MARSOC/Recon Marines any day than SEALs.
View Quote
As a Marine I support this
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe in my prime, nowdays? Not a chance...
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If given 18 months to prepare, could you pass BUD/S?
...snip... To make it more interesting and to include more of you; also assume you are in your twenties...let’s call it 24. I am interested to see if you believe you have the character and traits it takes to have prepared for it in 18 months and then handled the physical and mental aspects of BUD/S.
...snip...
View Quote

At 24 yrs. old, I wouldn't have needed 18 months.  I would need the desire to become a SEAL, which is part of the mental aspect, which is the grinder for everyone.  Behind that, as MadMike also discussed, is unforeseen injury.  

I'd be more interested in seeing the pass rate for BUD/S candidates with non-Navy prior service.  Of the 3 I worked with, 2 went to the Teams (same background as me), the 1 that didn't got dropped 2x for medical (not the same background/community in the USMC).  

So in that light, I kind of like my odds when I was 24 yrs. old, if I had wanted to be a SEAL.  But considering I never did desire that, it's kind of a self-masturbating "what if" scenario, now isn't it?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there a Bud Light?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I could pass army basic without any training. But buds would require me to go back in time atleast a decade.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Unless something in my life changes drastically (it'd have to be for the worse, so I hope it doesn't) never.

I'm married and just had a baby. No way I could leave my daughter. I'd miss her every second.

However, I do regret not joining. My whole family served, the males at least. I was in the DEP for the marines in high school. Took the asvab, did meps, was just waiting to graduate. I met my (future) wife and didn't go, though.

Probably my only real life regret. Not only did I not achieve something I dreamed of every day as a kid, I broke the tradition of every male serving in my family.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not saying BUDS is a total walk in the park, but one has to take a broader view of the statistics to find an underlying causality there.  Look at the pool the Navy is pulling from.  Not a diss against the Navy, but they are not pulling from people who have an infantry background at all.  That's a major point other services focus on when criticizing the SEALS in general.  The vast majority of people going to BUDS in the Navy have never really been in that sort of environment before, whereas when you look at the specops units schools/indocs for say the Army or Marine Corps, they have.  You don't get to even show up at those schools if you haven't had the required background humping rucks, PTing a lot, doing generally uncomfortable shitty things, etc.  In the Navy, not so much.  People in BUDS are learning infantry type shit for the very first time.

That skews those pass/fail statistics a ton.  So it isn't that BUDS is the hardest school on earth, it's a really hard school with perhaps the least prepared applicant pool of the big time special special schools.
View Quote
having worked with a wide variaty of SOC units in the past I feel as though this post is extremely accurate
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was a Corpsman and would rather be around some MARSOC/Recon Marines any day than SEALs.
View Quote
There is that aspect too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I imagine it's just as much mental as physical. No desire to be a SEAL, so nope.
View Quote
This is the only thing that would make me fail... if I "want" it, I can be as mentally tough as is needed.

I have zero desire to be a SEAL so... but, throw a few $mil in as the "prize" for passing and that money is as good as mine
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm in my 30's and believe I could do it with less than 8 months prep under the scenario you put forth.
View Quote
When is your ship date?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm against torture.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I voted yes. Especially if I'm in my early 20's and single, no family or life commitments, etc. I seriously considered going that route, but the wife convinced me not to.
View Quote
What was it like?

Any pointers for the young guys?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd be more interested in seeing the pass rate for BUD/S candidates with non-Navy prior service.  Of the 3 I worked with, 2 went to the Teams (same background as me), the 1 that didn't got dropped 2x for medical (not the same background/community in the USMC).  
View Quote
I have no doubt whatsoever that if you plucked BUDS out of the Navy and dropped it into the Army or Marine Corps, their selection and graduation rates would skyrocket.  And again, that's not to say that as a school it's easy cheesy, it's just that is naturally what would happen if you suddenly made the school accessible to a much more prepared and qualified applicant pool with a background better suited to that sort of environment.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#17]
No, not even if I was 20 again. I don't think I could hack it physically or mentally.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Unless something in my life changes drastically (it'd have to be for the worse, so I hope it doesn't) never.

I'm married and just had a baby. No way I could leave my daughter. I'd miss her every second.

However, I do regret not joining. My whole family served, the males at least. I was in the DEP for the marines in high school. Took the asvab, did meps, was just waiting to graduate. I met my (future) wife and didn't go, though.

Probably my only real life regret. Not only did I not achieve something I dreamed of every day as a kid, I broke the tradition of every male serving in my family.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So no then
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Physically, 18 mos is a long time to train up. Still no due to old injuries.

Mentally, I don't think I'd ever want to be a SEAL bad enough to endure all that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So no then
View Quote
Lol you seem personally offended that anyone could be physically and mentally tough, and not be in the military.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#21]
My stepdad was a seal.  He’s crazy
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So in that light, I kind of like my odds when I was 24 yrs. old, if I had wanted to be a SEAL.  But considering I never did desire that, it's kind of a self-masturbating "what if" scenario, now isn't it?
View Quote
I'm putting you down as a dead bolt lock.  Notwithstanding your personal desire (or lack thereof) to don a trident, you would have stuck it out just out of spite.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Was not mentally (maturity) and physically prepared at 22 when I was commissioned.  Considered but never pulled the lever in my late 20's when I had grown up mentally.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Even if I could get physically and mentally prepared, I learned the hard way I can't equalize pressure in my ears in deep water, so I'd never make it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Nope, I'd probably drown
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Lol you seem personally offended that anyone could be physically and mentally tough, and not be in the military.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So no then
The act of actually showing up is a determining factor in a pass/fail for BUD/S. The question is if you could pass BUD/S.

I am sure you are plenty physically and mentally fit.

Nothing personal man.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Pretty sure the guy you quoted can speak with some level of credibility.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread is gonna get good.
Pretty sure the guy you quoted can speak with some level of credibility.
Duh?

Hence why it will be good.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

When is your ship date?
View Quote
You're triggered.

And it makes me laugh.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Given by age 24 I already had more than 36 months overseas, and was in great shape — yes, my 24 year old self could accomplish it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't have the right hair to be a SEAL.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Given by age 24 I already had more than 36 months overseas, and was in great shape — yes, my 24 year old self could accomplish it.
View Quote
BUH BRO, WHEN DO YOU SHIP BRO?!!?

Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The act of actually showing up is a determining factor in a pass/fail for BUD/S. The question is if you could pass BUD/S.

I am sure you are plenty physically and mentally fit.

Nothing personal man.
View Quote
I don't see it that way.

The OP didn't ask, "are you going to join and try to complete BUD/s training?"

The OP asked "do you think you could complete BUD/s training?"

I answered.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Heck no.... as soon as sleep deprivation started, I'd be out like a fat kid in dodge ball!

I think I might endure the rest. I get delirious with out sleep.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm putting you down as a dead bolt lock.  Notwithstanding your personal desire (or lack thereof) to don a trident, you would have stuck it out just out of spite.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not just no, but HELL NAW! No way I'm wearing Navy uniform(s), ever.    

But you're not far off on the spite thing.  Spite & coffee, it's what keeps me going most days.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#36]
OP I'm a 39 YO with  cancer and  no cartridge in either knee  what do you think

Have you ever met a SEAL those fucks are hard core crazy I had 7 in my airborne school chalk with me. 3 got recycled for climbing the 350 foot towers and doing pull ups on them
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Please tell me some of you are just messing around...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm 25. Probably.

Then again I think the swimming, particularly the drown proofing would wash me out.

ETA: I only say probably because I already work 2 jobs (one being physical) and have had them land fucked up causing me to do one to two days working with no sleep.
Please tell me some of you are just messing around...
What?

I've read a few SEAL books that describe BUD/S, that part (working hard with no sleep) seems to be a major cause for wash out.

Plus I already admited the water would probably fuck me up.(even though Chris Kyle could barely swim when he joined the Navy)

Everything ive read on it the SEALs seams to all down play BUD/S compared to the public perception. I've had family in UDT and he wasn't a crazy super star athlete either.

ETA: I should have put maybe instead of probably.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#38]
There have been guys who showed up to BUD/S that did not know how to swim, eg AJ, from the movie Act of Valor.

I  think most of the dudes here who say they can pass BUD/S think it's JUST running and swimming and being "in shape."

You got no fucking clue.  55 degree fucking water for 5 days?  GTFO.

Anybody see that pic of Jason Redman at the finish of BUD/S?  The dude LOOKS like he couldn't make a high-school JV football team.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Nope. I'm in relatively good shape, but I'm 44 with three knee surgeries.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know about him, but I am.  

Your country has been at war for over a decade. I miss my family all the time, but I believe that all able bodied men have an obligation to serve.  Sometimes that means manning up and accepting that you have to be away for a while for the good of your family's future.

People don't have to make a career of it, but if someone isn't willing to at least serve a single enlistment, whether active or reserve, then yeah- I am offended, at best.  Disappointed is maybe even a better descriptor.  

I don't understand how those people live with themselves, honestly.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

BUH BRO, WHEN DO YOU SHIP BRO?!!?

View Quote
I still love this thread.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Even at my healthiest I couldn't.....now at 50?  fuck that shit
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Decades ago, sure, as I really enjoyed stamina workouts.  Not a chance now though.  All my previous stamina stuff simply wore out my parts.  The human body is not that much different than an automobile.  Driven at reasonable speeds and well maintained over smooth roads, they last a long time.  Poor maintenance, driven really hard over rough roads, and stuff wears out more quickly.

The funny thing is that now I feel like that old car going down the road, and I have to keep an eye on the rearview mirror to see what falls off next, and goes skipping down the road behind me....even when I do see something fall off, I have to decide whether it is even worth going back to pick it up.    Getting old ain't for whimps.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Too old now but even in my prime there's no way.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#45]
15 years ago I would have stood maybe a chance.... Now?  No way my back could take it.  Thanks uncle Sam.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
"I met my (future) wife and didn't go, though. "  

That sort of decision making does not scream, "mentally tough."
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I don't know about him, but I am.  

Your country has been at war for over a decade. I miss my family all the time, but I believe that all able bodied men have an obligation to serve.  Sometimes that means manning up and accepting that you have to be away for a while for the good of your family's future.

People don't have to make a career of it, but if someone isn't willing to at least serve a single enlistment, whether active or reserve, then yeah- I am offended, at best.  Disappointed is maybe even a better descriptor.  

I don't understand how those people live with themselves, honestly.
View Quote
Bro, I didn't serve cuz nobody tells me what to do. I would've messed up the drill sergeants once they started getting in my face and telling me how to do things. Those weak, conformist betas aren't smart enough to think for themselves.

To answer the question, NO.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#48]
lol, no.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Class 161 and then again class 164.

11 stress fractures between both legs....

Was not able to do it then, add close to 30 years and two blown discs in my back now?!?!?!?!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I voted "no" because I'm not mentally willing to do it, and that's a huge portion of it.
View Quote
This is exactly what I wanted to say.

I could not mentally see myself as a Perverted Sailor.

Besides...

Dirty Harry said...

A man has got to know his limitations.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top