Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#1]
With 18 months to prepare, barring a major injury during training, I absolutely could complete bud/s.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I can swim.
I hate swimming.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Needs a maybe option. I could get in good enough physical condition in 18 months to start the course, but I that's all could guarantee.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"I met my (future) wife and didn't go, though. "  

That sort of decision making does not scream, "mentally tough."
View Quote
Lol.

I'd make the same choice again. My wife saved my life.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#5]
If I was still 24 and knew then what I know now? MAYBE...that’s a big maybe.

One of my brothers friends is going to try and become a green beret. He’s in way better shape, mentally tough and he’s sweating the physical part
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There have been guys who showed up to BUD/S that did not know how to swim, eg AJ, from the movie Act of Valor.

I  think most of the dudes here who say they can pass BUD/S think it's JUST running and swimming and being "in shape."

You got no fucking clue.  55 degree fucking water for 5 days?  GTFO.

Anybody see that pic of Jason Redman at the finish of BUD/S?  The dude LOOKS like he couldn't make a high-school JV football team.
View Quote
Hell, thats just 1st phase....  Hell Week is the 6th week, they then start Hydro Recon with thighs so chaffed they can barely move. Actually get to walk and just "Shuffle" for the rest of 1st phase.... BUD/S is about 20% Physical and 80% mental.....

Sitting in the surf zone in 50 degree water and thanking the guy next to you for pissing, because you has a second of warmth....
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not just no, but HELL NAW! No way I'm wearing Navy uniform(s), ever.    
View Quote
Come on man, you can't picture yourself in those sweet tan unis, singing Righteous Brothers tunes to chicks at the bar?  Not even a little????

Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have you ever met a SEAL those fucks are hard core crazy I had 7 in my airborne school chalk with me. 3 got recycled for climbing the 350 foot towers and doing pull ups on them
View Quote
If I had a dollar for every time I've heard the "SEALs that got recycled for doing pullups off the towers at Jump" story, I'd have a lot of dollars.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
+1

24% of Arf respondents think they could pass BUD/S
That's some funny shit!
View Quote
as soon as I saw the thread title I knew it was going to be a laff riot

an arfcom fitness thread combined with sealdeltaberetswat team awesomeness
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#10]
If the 13 old fat guys at the gun show were former seals, I can certainly pass.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hell no.

I remember reading somewhere that the oldest graduate was 39. That's insane. 
View Quote
Probably divorced twice with three kids.  He’s got a mental toughness that the recruits can’t come close to reaching.m

A friend went through and fucked up his ankle right before the last week.

When he enlisted his dad said “Oh you think those BUDs is hard?  I passed a kidney stone while your mother was in labor with you.”
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#12]
You could be ready in 3 months.  There's more to it than that.  

When you go, there's a huge prep pipeline...helps on the physical but not the mental. 
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Thought this was interesting
Top 10 Things You Need to Know Before You Go to BUD/S

1. Arrive Fit!

Not just able to do the minimum scores but the above average recommended PFT scores:

- 500 yds swim - under 9:00
- Pushups - 100 in 2:00
- Situps - 100 in 2:00
- Pullups - 20
- 1.5 mile run - under 9:00 in boots and pants

2. Run in Boots and Swim with Fins

At least 3-4 months prior to arriving at BUD/s get the legs used to swimming with fins and running in boots. They issue Bates 924s and UDT or Rocket Fins at BUD/S. The fins are difficult to find, so any stiff fin that requires you to wear booties will do.

5. BUD/S is Six Months Long

Prepare for the long term, not the short term. Too many people lose focus early on their training and quit. It would be similar to training for a 10K race and running a Marathon by accident. You have to be mentally focused on running the Marathon - in this case a six month "marathon."

6. Weekly Physical Tests

The four mile timed runs are weekly and occur on the beach - hard packed sand next to the water line. They are tough, but not bad if you prepare properly. The 2 mile ocean swims are not bad either if you are used to swimming with fins when you arrive. The obstacle course will get you too if you are not used to climbing ropes and doing pullups. Upperbody strength is tested to the max with this test.

8. Flutterkicks

This seems to be a tough exercise for many. Practice 4 count flutterkicks with your abdominal workouts and shoot for sets of at least 100. There maybe a day you have to do 1000 flutterkicks. By the way - that takes 45 minutes!
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#14]
It would be interesting to try, I'd like to know how much of a bitch I am compared to those dudes.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You could be ready in 3 months.  There's more to it than that.  

When you go, there's a huge prep pipeline...helps on the physical but not the mental. 
View Quote
In my opinion, being physically fit is part of mental toughness.

If you don't have the discipline to get up every day and give yourself a tune up, then I don't really consider you all that mentally tough.

Being fit and having discipline certainly isn't all that it takes, but if you can't even push yourself enough to achieve that.....then what makes anyone think they'd pass ANY sort of difficult test?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#16]
We carried Seals a few times when my ship was in the Gulf. Most of them that I met were not overly muscular. They were fit and often quiet on the ship. However, when they did speak you could tell there was something a little different about them. Not saying that was a bad thing or a good thing but it was noticeable and I can’t really put my finger on it.
And to answer the question, no fucking way. Not even when I was at the peak of my physical fitness.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

1. Arrive Fit!

Not just able to do the minimum scores but the above average recommended PFT scores:

- Pullups - 20

At least 3-4 months prior to arriving at BUD/s get the legs used to swimming with fins and running in boots. They issue Bates 924s and UDT or Rocket Fins at BUD/S. The fins are difficult to find, so any stiff fin that requires you to wear booties will do.

Prepare for the long term, not the short term. Too many people lose focus early on their training and quit. It would be similar to training for a 10K race and running a Marathon by accident. You have to be mentally focused on running the Marathon - in this case a six month "marathon."

6. Weekly Physical Tests

The four mile timed runs are weekly and occur on the beach - hard packed sand next to the water line. They are tough, but not bad if you prepare properly. The 2 mile ocean swims are not bad either if you are used to swimming with fins when you arrive. The obstacle course will get you too if you are not used to climbing ropes and doing pullups. Upperbody strength is tested to the max with this test.

8. Flutterkicks

This seems to be a tough exercise for many. Practice 4 count flutterkicks with your abdominal workouts and shoot for sets of at least 100. There maybe a day you have to do 1000 flutterkicks. By the way - that takes 45 minutes!
View Quote
I guess the mental part would be the weak link for me, because I crush all that shit physically speaking.*

*Flame suit on, prepared to be asked when I ship and prepared for lackies to try and make me feel bad because I'm fit.

ETA: Arfcom really should have some sort of competition that doesn't require you to chug poison till you puke. No gimmicks, just good ole physical torture. I'd go in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I guess the mental part would be the weak link for me, because I crush all that shit physically speaking.*

*Flame suit on, prepared to be asked when I ship and prepared for lackies to try and make me feel bad because I'm fit.

ETA: Arfcom really should have some sort of competition that doesn't require you to chug poison till you puke. No gimmicks, just good ole physical torture. I'd go in a heart beat.
View Quote
Chugging until you puke is physical torture, the other shit is cake.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It would be interesting to try, I'd like to know how much of a bitch I am compared to those dudes.
View Quote
You’ve got a quality beard, so you’ve met one of the requirements already.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Chugging until you puke is physical torture, the other shit is cake.
View Quote

Coca cola.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Schools like BUD/S are more than physical and mental toughness. They're about misery, gut check. They are designed to weed out even those who are in excellent shape by increasing the suck factor till everyone who isn't 100% committed to being a SEAL quits.

In that regard, since I have no desire to ever have been a SEAL, even in my best physical shape plus a year 1.5 years of prep, plus lots of steroids and HGH, I'd still fail because who the fuck wants to be a SEAL?

Kids who play too many video games or watch too many movies, who usually know fuck all about warfare, military history, or the realities of ground combat.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Lol, no.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm 38 now.  Even in my prime at 18  - 20's I couldn't do it.  Never have been comfortable in water.  The athleticism wouldn't have been a problem.  The water mental game would kill me.  I would have to spend 18 months just learning to swim and then another 18 just to get comfortable.  Not gonna happen.  I had dreamed of aspirations for some type sf career but I'm honest and realistic with myself.  Serious swim work would have to be put in.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#24]
If I do sweating to the oldies for a few weeks will that set me up for a success in seal training?

should do it for me

that tape is TOUGH

Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#25]
At age 60?
No. Nope. NO.
I'd probably stumble getting off the bus and break an ankle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You’ve got a quality beard, so you’ve met one of the requirements already.
View Quote
The lack of hair on my head to gel would definitely count against me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I get tired DRIVING to my PT test.....
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Going on 51, way too much joint and lung damage to be able to do BUD/S even with 18 months to lose weight and build muscle
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#29]
No.

I have some serious hangups regarding claustrophobia in the water.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Looking at the pipeline failure rate, if a person can make it past first phase, then they're likely to graduate, so the real question is can you get to and gut out first phase.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Nope. Don't have the mental/emotional strength.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No.

I have some serious hangups regarding claustrophobia in the water.
View Quote
Interesting. Claustrophobia IN the water. You're not meaning claustrophobia AND water?

What is it about water that makes you uncomfortable? I've never heard of this so I'm genuinely asking.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm 45. No way.

If I had 18 months to prepare, and same social freedom in your scenario (no family, obligations, etc..) I am confident I could make it through Basic Training again, but that aint sayin much.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Coca cola.
View Quote
The only time I drink pop all year is at Cola Warrior, and it's what separates the winners and losers. I'm in the same time frame as winners when I start my chug....then it all goes to shit. I'll work out all year to prepare, but chugging is way worse than any "pain" I've been in from running and lifting. I've never been able to chug though, it's my kryptonite.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If you don't have the discipline to get up every day and give yourself a tune up, then I don't really consider you all that mentally tough.

Being fit and having discipline certainly isn't all that it takes, but if you can't even push yourself enough to achieve that.....then what makes anyone think they'd pass ANY sort of difficult test?
View Quote
Caught me mirin' again  

Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#36]
most people have no idea what they can do and what they cant do

or even what they'd be good at or not good at

I can't tell you how many times bright minded people have told me that they started engineering school but "they couldn't handle the math"

the truth is that they couldn't handle sitting there working the problems until it clicked, which might take 2 or 3 hours per assignment

I can't do it = I don't feel like doing it

suppose they locked you in a jail cell with four calculus books and said you can leave when you get an A+ in all four courses

most people with an IQ over about 110 could leave jail eventually.  might take some of them 5 years but it would happen

so who knows?  maybe it all comes down to desire

if desire > pain, maybe you could do it
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

1. Arrive Fit!

- Pullups - 20

6. Weekly Physical Tests

8. Flutterkicks

View Quote
I've seen that before.

Has anyone posted what the required underwater swim for passing is? I could do all of the above, but that swim is probably a no go.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

suppose they locked you in a jail cell with four calculus books and said you can leave when you get an A+ in all four courses
View Quote
I don't think I hate jail enough.  Confronted with calculus, 3 hots and a cot doesn't sound that bad.

Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I can't tell you how many times bright minded people have told me that they started engineering school but "they couldn't handle the math"

the truth is that they couldn't handle sitting there working the problems until it clicked, which might take 2 or 3 hours per assignment

most people with an IQ over about 110 could leave jail eventually.  might take some of them 5 years but it would happen

View Quote
This is actually a great post.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Interesting. Claustrophobia IN the water. You're not meaning claustrophobia AND water?

What is it about water that makes you uncomfortable? I've never heard of this so I'm genuinely asking.
View Quote
You're right, it's claustrophobia amplified by being in the water. Being blindfolded upside down while trying to disassemble/reassemble equipment underwater would generate a great deal of panic.

Honestly it may be something that could be trained out of me, but it would be a big hang up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Current age?  Definitely not.

When I was 24?  I would give myself about a 15% chance.

I was a decent athlete.  Ran track and CC in college.

The constant discomfort, cold surf+sand+abuse.

Probably not.  Now that I think on it a little bit more, maybe a 5% chance.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#43]
With my fcked up shoulder I can barely put on a Tshirt.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:26:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You're right, it's claustrophobia amplified by being in the water. Being blindfolded upside down while trying to disassemble/reassemble equipment underwater would generate a great deal of panic.

Honestly it may be something that could be trained out of me, but it would be a big hang up.
View Quote
Huh. And yeah I'm sure you could overcome it.

You'd probably hate something like a ditch and recover exercise though. Be 20 feet under water and have someone pull your mask off and regulator out of your mouth. Swim to the surface, get your breath then swim back down for your gear. Finding the reg while the salt water is burning your eyes and you're low on air was not fun. I don't mind the water at all but it's a little hairy.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The only time I drink pop all year is at Cola Warrior, and it's what separates the winners and losers. I'm in the same time frame as winners when I start my chug....then it all goes to shit. I'll work out all year to prepare, but chugging is way worse than any "pain" I've been in from running and lifting. I've never been able to chug though, it's my kryptonite.
View Quote
I had never eaten a peep and hadn't had a soda in like 3 years at west 2. From the results it was obvious.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Huh. And yeah I'm sure you could overcome it.

You'd probably hate something like a ditch and recover exercise though. Be 20 feet under water and have someone pull your mask off and regulator out of your mouth. Swim to the surface, get your breath then swim back down for your gear. Finding the reg while the salt water is burning your eyes and you're low on air was not fun. I don't mind the water at all but it's a little hairy.
View Quote
Done a scaled back version of that for my scuba cert. NOT a fan.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Thinking about it a little more.  Some of the water stuff would probably have gotten me washed out.

I'm a decent swimmer but I don't know how well I would handle doing tasks underwater while oxygen deprived.  The urge to get to the surface RIGHT NOW is pretty strong for me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes and no.  

It can certainly give you a boost but when you get to exhaustion, and everyone does, it's mental all the way.  

I got early bonuses for getting elite scores on my boot camp and BUD/S entry PST.  I remember I did like 105 pushups in the boot camp one and 120 in the BUD/S one.  But when you are in a 700-800 push up "beating", the physical aspect becomes absolutely irrelevant.  

There are several aspects like that.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
this goes along with what I said earlier

when most people say 'I can't' it really means 'I won't'
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's a lot of truth in here.

So with that said, I have zero desire to be SEAL and so my pain tolerance to become one is also about zero
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top