BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Huh. And yeah I'm sure you could overcome it.

You'd probably hate something like a ditch and recover exercise though. Be 20 feet under water and have someone pull your mask off and regulator out of your mouth. Swim to the surface, get your breath then swim back down for your gear. Finding the reg while the salt water is burning your eyes and you're low on air was not fun. I don't mind the water at all but it's a little hairy.
View Quote
That shit's fun as fuck. Especially fighting with everyone else fucking with them pulling off their gear and fucking with it.   Sitting on bottom kicking with one fin breathing straight from the bottle because the first stage got stripped off rabbit punching your buddy trying to get the goggles off him so you can find the rest of your shit is a fucking HOOT.

eta- my class in commercial diver school was.... not like other classes.  Most of us were prior service mostly gwot infantry dudes, but a lot from other branches and eras.  It was basically a non-stop rumble every day underwater, we would get yelled at cause kids from other classes would stray into our areas and get fucked with hard and cry about it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope.  I could never balance that ball on my nose
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don't know about him, but I am.  

Your country has been at war for over a decade. I miss my family all the time, but I believe that all able bodied men have an obligation to serve.  Sometimes that means manning up and accepting that you have to be away for a while for the good of your family's future.

People don't have to make a career of it, but if someone isn't willing to at least serve a single enlistment, whether active or reserve, then yeah- I am offended, at best.  Disappointed is maybe even a better descriptor.  

I don't understand how those people live with themselves, honestly.
View Quote
This is where I stand. If not the military then some other form of Fed service and sacrifice.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
No, because I have never had the desire in my heart to do so.  Mindset is key in doing anything well, and I don't have it for this goal.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was 24, possibly, but you mentioned current health so no.

Arthritis in knees and elbow and developed epilepsy in my 30's (that's when seizures started happening). Plus I'm 48, so no BUDs for me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Fractured L5 and >40 years old says nope.
Without the bad back.....possibly.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OP I'm a 39 YO with  cancer and  no cartridge in either knee  what do you think

Have you ever met a SEAL those fucks are hard core crazy I had 7 in my airborne school chalk with me. 3 got recycled for climbing the 350 foot towers and doing pull ups on them
View Quote
We had 11 in my class. Two were recycled for having alcohol in the barracks, and a LT JG was demoted to Ensign and recycled for running from MP's and urinating on their patrol car (he was drunk, no big surprise). He was a dick from the get-go, but the rest were pretty cool to talk to.

Our class started with about 420 troops, including 11 SEALS, 3 Marines, and 1 Air Force. In the end we graduated somewhere around 320 Army, 8 SEALs, 1 Marine, and the Airman. The only branch with 100% graduation rate that cycle was Air Force
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am 60 years old, and have never been a good swimmer, hate leg lifts.

I am gonna say, wait for it, nope.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#10]
In 18 months, I'll be 50 and I've got 3 herniated discs in my neck and a bad knee. Not going to happen.

Now, when I was 22, liked to do mile swims in the ocean for fun, had just finished 1500 miles of hiking on the AT, was down to about 7% body fat and was used to doing long hikes with about 65lbs on my back, probably. Might have been able to do it without 18 months to prepare.

Even 5 years ago when I was doing Olympic distance triathlons and Tough Mudders, maybe with 18 months to train, but 18 months of training at that level would've probably been too much for me even before BUDs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Your country has been at war for over a decade. I miss my family all the time, but I believe that all able bodied men have an obligation to serve.  Sometimes that means manning up and accepting that you have to be away for a while for the good of your family's future.

People don't have to make a career of it, but if someone isn't willing to at least serve a single enlistment, whether active or reserve, then yeah- I am offended, at best.  Disappointed is maybe even a better descriptor.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol you seem personally offended that anyone could be physically and mentally tough, and not be in the military.

I live with myself just fine, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Nope.

18 months and 18 years ago, maybe.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#13]
drowning is not a sensation I'm a fan of. I almost drowned as a kid and don't want to experience it again
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I think a bunch of people who say they can really underestimate the difficulty of swimming.

I read stuff like "I swim a mile a day" and "I'm sure I could be ready in 18 months", "I'm mentally tough" etc... But it's not quite like that.

I qualified as a Rescue Swimmer when I was 21. The school taxed me to my physical limits. Call me a pussy, I don't care. The water environment is a hostile environment and everyone trains to treat it that way except for the SEALs (maybe the other branches special ops groups have the same philosophy...I don't know). We trained to mitigate the water risks, the SEALs train to make it a friendly environment for them. That means in the water. Functioning, not just surviving. Functioning long term (hours) not just in the water to pull someone out. Despite water temps - cold water will sap your physical strength and sap your mental strength. Until you're in it you don't really know how much it does.

I know it's cool on arfcom to bash the SEALs. Maybe it's deserved I don't know or care. But in the water they earn their reputation as top tier.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Would dying of a heart attack the first day count as passing?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Over 20% give it a yes so far. That's pretty damn impressive for any segment of the population.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Had childhood asthma.  I could be in as good shape as Michael Murphy in his prime, but I'd be failed by the DOD before I even made it to BUDS.  Already kept me out of Anapolis.  

So that's a big "No"
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Over 20% give it a yes so far. That's pretty damn impressive for any segment of the population.
View Quote
You mean like an average BUD/S class then?

lol.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#19]
now, hell no.  22 years ago I would have had a pretty good chance....
I use to love to run and work out, and was just plain bull headed with it came to doing what I put my mind to.  
These days I'm a soft lazy engineer.

I figure I choose a better path with a stable job, beautiful kids and and kick ass wife.

Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#20]
to answer the original question,  Could you pass BUD/S if given 18mos to prepare? ... 

Nope.  After an extensive training course, I might be in 18 months better shape than I am today, but no way would I pass BUD/S at my age.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#21]
My cousin is a literal stud, has been preparing for 3 years, and failed out of BUD/S twice. I have no illusions that I could ever pass.
And I am too old.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Physically yes, while I am a good swimmer. Its kinda of like sprinting for me, I can only do so much. However, incroprate the mental with the physical would be...I don't want to say not feasible but eh..i'm 27.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.
Yes, it then stands to reason that a poll sample of 1200 +/- ARFCOM GD is pretty much on par with the average BUD/S class. That is pretty damn impressive.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Haha 227 yes votes, probably 7 seals and 220 asthmatics with confidence.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Nope.  Dislocated my shoulder on their obstacle course in Coronado, multiple times in one running.  Pretty sure it would have come back out somewhere on it future times through.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Swimming, for me At least, was the easier part. I may have had a bit of an advantage as I was born and raised in San Diego and we were at Coronado pretty much every weekend. Water temps were "Normal" for me.
Now running? I could never get into a rhythm. I was that asshole that when we did a group 5 mile run, the group would have to run 7-8 miles due to circling back to pick me up....  All the while having an Instructor, calmly telling you to quit, you are holding up the group, are the weakest link and will never be a part of a team, let alone allowed on a Team....
Mental fortitude is #1 there...

Again, I am not, nor have ever been a SEAL. But I was dumb enough to try once.... Much respect to all who try to be a part of the spear....
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nope.  Dislocated my shoulder on their obstacle course in Coronado, multiple times in one running.  Pretty sure it would have come back out somewhere on it future times through.
View Quote
I hated the Dirty Name.... At 5'7" it sucked... Weaver was my favorite.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Some days it takes a while before I can walk without my cane for balance.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes, it then stands to reason that a poll sample of 1200 +/- ARFCOM GD is pretty much on par with the average BUD/S class. That is pretty damn impressive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.
given 18 months of actual training towards BUD/S I don't think it's that impressive.

I know you're being cheeky tho.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm 42 years old. Doesn't matter how much preparation I had. No way I'm passing it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You'd probably hate something like a ditch and recover exercise though. Be 20 feet under water and have someone pull your mask off and regulator out of your mouth. Swim to the surface, get your breath then swim back down for your gear. Finding the reg while the salt water is burning your eyes and you're low on air was not fun. I don't mind the water at all but it's a little hairy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, it's claustrophobia amplified by being in the water. Being blindfolded upside down while trying to disassemble/reassemble equipment underwater would generate a great deal of panic.

Honestly it may be something that could be trained out of me, but it would be a big hang up.

Lol

Coming to the surface gets you an instant no go, pack your shit, see you next class in a military dive course

Not that you would know anything about that
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#32]
40 years ago: Yes, now, nope
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.
A BUD/S class only recruits from the Navy, no wonder only 20% make it. Arfcom, with all its fatties and headcases, is still a better recruiting pool for "commandos" than the blue side Navy is.

Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lol

Coming to the surface gets you an instant no go, pack your shit, see you next class in a military dive course

View Quote
Coming to the surface was a requirement.

Staying on bottom was the prerequisite to the full ditch-ascend-recover exercise. Staying on the bottom is easier, not harder.

I swear the whole “I served so I’m more X than you” is so fucking laughable.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#35]
When I was 24, yes. Now I'm 55 so no.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Nope, I can't swim for shit.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Staying on bottom was the prerequisite to the full ditch-ascend-recover exercise. Staying on the bottom is easier, not harder.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

Meanwhile you regret not joining the USMC and you're arguing dive training with a no shit 0321.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Meanwhile you regret not joining the USMC and you're arguing dive training with a no shit 0321.
View Quote
I’m not arguing with anyone, I don’t have anything to prove.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
most people have no idea what they can do and what they cant do

or even what they'd be good at or not good at

I can't tell you how many times bright minded people have told me that they started engineering school but "they couldn't handle the math"

the truth is that they couldn't handle sitting there working the problems until it clicked, which might take 2 or 3 hours per assignment

I can't do it = I don't feel like doing it

suppose they locked you in a jail cell with four calculus books and said you can leave when you get an A+ in all four courses

most people with an IQ over about 110 could leave jail eventually.  might take some of them 5 years but it would happen

so who knows?  maybe it all comes down to desire

if desire > pain, maybe you could do it
View Quote
Cute, but false.

Some folks just can’t intuitively grasp higher math to the right level, no matter how much they want to or how much time/effort they put in.

Some folks, no matter how much they try, or how much they want it, or how much they train, will ever run a 6:00 mile, or have a 40” vertical, or hold their breath for 2:00, or be able to tote a ruck for 20 miles.

Desire and will count for a lot, but not everyone has the same physical or mental capabilities.  That’s just fact.

“And the weak died along the way...” or so says the EOD/diver shirt a buddy of mine wears....
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A BUD/S class only recruits from the Navy, no wonder only 20% make it. Arfcom, with all its fatties and headcases, is still a better recruiting pool for "commandos" than the blue side Navy is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.

This thread reminded me of something.

AF CCT have that same problem, and a very, very small pass rate. Yet their rep seems waaaay better.

I wonder if using media as a recruitment tool has kinda fucked the SEALs in regards to who decides to join them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

Served? I was going through Marine Combatant Diver while you were busy ripping people off with your knife business.

You washed out of MEPS, hahahahha

Don't talk to me about laughable
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Served? I was going through Marine Combatant Diver while you were busy ripping people off with your knife business.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Nope, I don't want it bad enough. And that's ok with me. Thank God for the guys that do.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#44]
I can't believe that 75% of you don't think that you could write an autobiography  in 18 months.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This poll result reflects about the same percentage who think that they could hit a MLB 100 mph fastball.  
View Quote
I'd fail Buds, but i can hit a 100 mph heater.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

AF CCT have that same problem, and a very, very small pass rate. Yet their rep seems waaaay better.

I wonder if using media as a requirement tool has kinda fucked the SEALs in regards to who decides to join them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.

I wonder if using media as a requirement tool has kinda fucked the SEALs in regards to who decides to join them.
That, and sticking to their lane/what they are good at.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Cute, but false.

Some folks just can’t intuitively grasp higher math to the right level, no matter how much they want to or how much time/effort they put in.

Some folks, no matter how much they try, or how much they want it, or how much they train, will ever run a 6:00 mile, or have a 40” vertical, or hold their breath for 2:00, or be able to tote a ruck for 20 miles.

Desire and will count for a lot, but not everyone has the same physical or mental capabilities.  That’s just fact.

“And the weak died along the way...” or so says the EOD/diver shirt a buddy of mine wears....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
most people have no idea what they can do and what they cant do

or even what they'd be good at or not good at

I can't tell you how many times bright minded people have told me that they started engineering school but "they couldn't handle the math"

the truth is that they couldn't handle sitting there working the problems until it clicked, which might take 2 or 3 hours per assignment

I can't do it = I don't feel like doing it

suppose they locked you in a jail cell with four calculus books and said you can leave when you get an A+ in all four courses

most people with an IQ over about 110 could leave jail eventually.  might take some of them 5 years but it would happen

so who knows?  maybe it all comes down to desire

if desire > pain, maybe you could do it
Cute, but false.

I think the point really is that people are capable of a lot more than they ever think, because they aren't willing to put in the work. Of course you're right, that there's still a limit...but IMO it's much beyond what most people think it is.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#49]
I think almost anyone 18-30 could get physically ready in 18 mos.

I have no desire to be a SEAL, so I would fail.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.

Shit posting and shit talking aside, what would you say the SEALs are good at?
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top