Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:46:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Resistol makes a good hat.  Straw is a bit over $100.  I wanted to recommend palm as well, but Resistol palm look like hell.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:05:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you looking to hide from the sun and stay cool?

Lifeguard style straw hat is the answer.

I have no idea if this works in humidity, but they work great in dry heat.  Wicks your sweat to the brim and acts as an evaporative coolerbut it will drip sweat from the edges, so there is that

brand is irrelevant
View Quote

+1 for lifeguard hat with the biggest brim you can find. Mine works well at Bonneville salt flats & el mirage dry lake bed when we’re there for the races.  I think I paid $30 for it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:36:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Not all straw hats offer UV protection.  The good ones are rated SPF 50.  Skin cancer sucks, ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:13:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wish cowboy hats were a thing around here. I love the look.
View Quote

Who’s going to judge you? A person whose opinion no bearing on your life?

If you like it, fucking rock it. You’ll be in face shaded happiness and they cringe from the bright sun.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:02:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm planning a road trip in the western US for summer time and it's supposed to be hotter than I'm used to. I need to spend a considerable time under the sun, so I'm looking at straw cowboy hats.

Unfortunately, like a rifle guy looking at compound bows, I don't know what I'm looking at, other than the appearance.

How does one go about choosing a hat?
View Quote

Get one that fits and feels right.   Light colors.  People have different shaped heads and a stiff hat, straw or felt, may take some work to get it to fit right.  Cloth hats tend to be pretty malleable.  Aside from the "cowboy" hats, consider some of the other styles, You might search under mesh, safari, Henschel, Stetson (not the only ones but will give you some ideas.).  You'll see a lot of similar styles. Some "cowboy," some not quite, Stetson and others makes some felt crushables, as do others.  REI, etc., will have a range of sun protection type hats, at least for some ideas).  I think the "mesh"or many straws are more breathable than the full cloth or felt types. The softer hats can take some crushing, may of the "cowboy" hats are fairly stiff..  You'll want some kind of chin strap/stampede stings.  Some hats have eyelets, some will take a cotter pinned string through the  sweat band.

Here in SoCal you'll see a lot of hats, sun exposure is getting to be taken more and more seriously.  Ball caps not uncommon (and worn correctly by many), at least some attention to style - brimmed hats are common for outdoor activities.  You'll see cowboy hats but not as common/universal as some other areas.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:01:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Most Mexican places that attracts tourists has plenty of straw hats. I just got a cowboy looking one (at Olvera Street), but there are some with very wide brims.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:17:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OP, one of the funniest things I have seen written in a public bathroom was on a toilet seat cover dispenser.

Free Cowboy Hats!

It still cracks me up.

View Quote

Cowboy hat gaskets
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:42:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Who’s going to judge you? A person whose opinion no bearing on your life?

If you like it, fucking rock it. You’ll be in face shaded happiness and they cringe from the bright sun.
View Quote

This x1000. I usually wear mine while camping, and sometimes around during the cooler months. I get some odd looks but who cares what other people think? Other people are the same people that think there are multiple genders and Joe Biden is a legitimate president. Their opinion is meaningless.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:52:26 AM EDT
[#9]

why....
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 6:19:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I had one years ago but what is so great about them? I wear a Tru Spec boonie hat around the yard that was a third the price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tilley

Get something functional.

I had one years ago but what is so great about them? I wear a Tru Spec boonie hat around the yard that was a third the price.
The Tilley is far better. I have worn a boonie before and they don't measure up. Besides, Tilley has a lifetime guarantee.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 6:23:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Someone has already suggested a pith helmet, but get the right version!
I also appreciate the Brazillian recyled tarp hat suggestion.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Overseer's hat.

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#14]
If I were going to get one, it sure as shit wouldn't be black for wear in TX.

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:04:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm a bit surprised that this one hasn't been posted yet.

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Either a straw Stetson Open Road (traditional) or if you need real sun protection look at one of the palm hats offered by FishPond.

Boonie hats don't breath enough and get hot as hell in Texas summers. Straw with a lot of ventilation is the way to go.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:05:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went to my local western shop and got a sweet black hat.

Sometimes I take my shirt off and wear it on my mower. The neighborhood wives always smile and wave

I even got a thumbs up by the old lady down the road

Ok Kenny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWu4aynBK7E

Kenny Chesney is a cancer.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Lots of people on here seem terribly worried about what other men wear, but don't sweat that shit.

Find a style of hat you like and rock that shit.

Seen a lot of recommendations for Resistol and Stetson, but I have an old ass Justin that has seen better days, but wears well.

Just don't ever wear it with shorts.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Here you go.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Was at an outdoor estate auction last summer. The auctioneer had a huge white straw cowboy hat on that gave off it's own shadow to him and everyone around him. I was impressed.

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#23]
This. Plenty of types/styles to choose from. I recently got a really nice adidas boonie with a huge bring and lots of venting options. It'll be great for extended yard work, hitting the beach, and hiking in bad weather or in less wooded areas.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
https://www.tilley.com/collections/hats/products/ltm8-airflo-hat

They are light, can be washed, and the air flows very well. Best hat I've
ever had.
View Quote

My hat is like that but made by Heschel.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/henschel-aussie-breezer-cotton-mesh-hat?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop%7CGeneric%7CAllProducts%7CHigh%7CSSCCatchAll&gclsrc=ds
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Lol. 1st line and last line are fighting!
View Quote

He can wear it with shorts if he wants. A fellow oughta do what he feels like.

I just advise against it, that's all.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Resistol in the summer
Stetson in the winter

If you are going to wear a hat with shorts or whatever else, don't pick a cowboy hat at all.
View Quote

Yup.  What kind of clothes does the OP expect to wear with the hat?
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cowboy hats are gay. I'm native born Texan, so i can say that.

If I'm going to be in broiling hot sun (I often do that), I do as i always have....remove fresh bandana from pocket, (wetting it with cool water is a nice option) remove my ball cap, drape bandana on head so that it shades ears and neck, secure it with ball cap. I always wear a ball cap and good, cotton bandanas cost about $2. Much cooler, lighter, more stationary than any straw cowboy hat. Learned this about age 13 while loading hay bales on a hot Texas summer.

I do have a light straw brim hat, but it is for cutting the lawn. It is more sombrero than John Wayne.

The only google image i could find, but this gal has it right:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/413035/bandana_jpg-1949901.JPG

Dude, step up to a modern legionnaire hat.

Nice price but they look heavy. Do you have one?
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#28]
1. Take off shirt
2. Pee on it
3. Wrap around head

Seriously, if you go with a straw hat you might want to wear around the house a bit before your trip so you can get used to the wider than normal turns you take when rounding corners, objects and so on.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I like my Sunbody Guatemalan Palm leaf hat. Easy to reshape if you want and a wide variety of sizes and styles. You can usually find them cheaper from resellers though, fair warning.

Sunbody Hats

I am also planning on getting a Shelta and straw Stetson Open Road to go with my Silverbelly Open Road (a hat which makes me intensely happy)

Shelta Hats

Straw Open Road by Stetson
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
At least buy one thats quality and made in America.

https://americanhatmakers.com/collections/mens-straw-hats
View Quote
Those are some good looking hats, I really like that Amarillo Palm.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Wrong.

Wear some jeans and you will be fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're going to look like a dweeb regardless so just pick the one that you like most and roll with it, dork.

Wrong.

Wear some jeans and you will be fine.
I wear a cowboy hat with shorts all the time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm planning a road trip in the western US for summer time and it's supposed to be hotter than I'm used to. I need to spend a considerable time under the sun, so I'm looking at straw cowboy hats.

Unfortunately, like a rifle guy looking at compound bows, I don't know what I'm looking at, other than the appearance.

View Quote

From what your post says you need it for, get a Tilley.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get a Tilly hat and move on with life
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This x1000. I usually wear mine while camping, and sometimes around during the cooler months. I get some odd looks but who cares what other people think? Other people are the same people that think there are multiple genders and Joe Biden is a legitimate president. Their opinion is meaningless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who's going to judge you? A person whose opinion no bearing on your life?

If you like it, fucking rock it. You'll be in face shaded happiness and they cringe from the bright sun.

I wear my Stetson during the cooler months (sometimes I'm not even wearing cowboy boots) and all I get is, "I love your hat, where did you get it?" and "What is that brand/style? I love it."

Wear what makes you happy and confident and who gives a shit what others think. I'm also bald so I need the protection, might as well make it awesome while your at it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not wearing pants unless it's below 50 degrees.

I'm going to wear my hat whenever I damn well please.

So yes, sometimes, I'm wearing my Open Road with shorts.

You're not my supervisor.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#36]
If you're anywhere around Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, bangora straw is popular. I wore one quite a bit in college, but I went to A&M, which is a big agriculture school, and it's hot as hell in the summer. You want a nice big hat if you spend any amount of time in the sun.

https://www.baileyhats.com/western/shop-by-fabric/bangora-straw

Another popular style is the "Gus" hat. I dunno if it actually was called that before the Lonesome Dove movie, but that's what it's called now.

I bought one on the side of the road in August in Bertram, Texas. I don't know the brand, it was $40 and it's held up. They make these in different straws and colors.

https://www.villagehatshop.com/product/all/451139-843179/pecos-palm-straw-gus-western-hat.html
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I know a people think the pith helmet is an ironic suggestion but I love mine in the hot sun. Fantastic style imo. I like the look too. Mine is a woolsey style made from real pith.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Glue a dildo to your head, it'll looks just as cool as a cowboy hat
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That does look nice and airy, but I feel like it might leave a fishnet sunburn on my bald head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Consider the Resitol line of straw hats. Very common in the Midwest, from Texas to the Dakotas with Ranchers and Rodeo.
Many include a wicking sweatband, verses the standard leather headband in most cowboy style hats.

HERE

That does look nice and airy, but I feel like it might leave a fishnet sunburn on my bald head.

My head has stayed shaved since high school, never had an issue with sun on the noggin. I guess if you sat completely still long enough maybe.
The only downside to a bald head and straw is longevity. If you wear them for looks or casual wear, they will last forever. If you wear them for work, they will wear out according to activity.
The leather / wicking bands will pull sweat away from your body as designed, but also into the straw. It will eventually absorb oils and stain.

Ive had the first hat on the left for a couple years now, only worn for casual spring / summer, dinner, town etc. Center hat is for yard work, light maintenance stuff. Last hat is for heavy labor. Once a "yard hat" gets dirty I rotate them to hard use, setting posts, fields, anything that I know will require me to drink a ton of water due to heat and sweat. Still does the job, but they can get ugly if you work hard wearing one. Not something you would wanna wear out and about. I think I go through about one a year. Straw hats used to be a lot cheaper, they were never designed to last forever, summer work. Felt is different, I've never had to replace a good felt hat, they will last a lifetime. But, felt sucks in the heat, and I haven't found a lighter better alternative to straw as of yet.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cut off jean shorts with square toe boots and a cowboy hat is perfectly fine attire. If I’m going into town I’ll throw on a sleeveless pearl snap button shirt.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Capital Hatter

This is the only place I buy hats from.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#42]
OP, get a Stetson Gus straw hat and be done with it. You can steam the brim to get the 'roll' you want.

You'll likely want to get some latigo to fashion a buckin' strap.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Cut off jean shorts with square toe boots and a cowboy hat is perfectly fine attire. If I'm going into town I'll throw on a sleeveless pearl snap button shirt.
View Quote

hot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If you are going to wear a hat with shorts or whatever else, don't pick a cowboy hat at all.
View Quote
One of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life was when a roommate in college went walking around in the dorms wearing a Stetson hat, a Speedo, and boots.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#45]
My main outdoor work hat is a Mahan’s Gus palm...about $50 comes with a bronco strap too.  I got mine half off.

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Resistol in the summer
Stetson in the winter

View Quote

I was wearing a cowboy hat, Doc Martens, cut off cargo shorts and a Soundgarden T-shirt when I got kicked out of the PMA in the late 1980’s, lol.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Word. Thanks for all the suggestions and wisdom, gentlemen.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm not from Tejas. What's a portapotty cowboy hat?
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:25:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I wish cowboy hats were a thing around here. I love the look.
View Quote

Fashion trends have to start with someone, no reason it can't be you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
One of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life was when a roommate in college went walking around in the dorms wearing a Stetson hat, a Speedo, and boots.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top