Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Washington to almost Mexico, but not California. The rest of the western states.

Black Tony Lamas, possibly with shorts.

Quoted:

If you are going to wear a hat with shorts or whatever else, don't pick a cowboy hat at all.

https://i1.wp.com/thumbs.gfycat.com/EnchantingExemplaryHoverfly-max-1mb.gif?resize=480%2C268&ssl=1

This could go viral.

I would add, it you are not a real cowboy, don't get a cowboy hat. You will look like a dork.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#2]
You're looking for the urban sombrero
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://www.tilley.com/collections/hats/products/ltm8-airflo-hat

They are light, can be washed, and the air flows very well. Best hat I've
ever had.
View Quote

I'll second these.  Made to fit, durable, washable.

I just wish I'd gone with the wider brim.  May get another.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]
You need to know what type of oval head you have.

Regular oval = Stetson
Long Oval = Resistol

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Who do you think you are? Graham Greene?

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Try Tractor Supply, Southern States, or Rural King. Get one with a band of mesh about half way up the crown.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm not from Tejas. What's a portapotty cowboy hat?
View Quote

Imagine a portapotty ass gasket placed on top of a construction hard hat to provide more shade. Can also be done with signs, cardboard and t-shirts.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a straw hat a few years back at the TX state fair. I don’t wear it much, what I do need to get is a boonie or lifeguard hat.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My head has stayed shaved since high school, never had an issue with sun on the noggin. I guess if you sat completely still long enough maybe.
The only downside to a bald head and straw is longevity. If you wear them for looks or casual wear, they will last forever. If you wear them for work, they will wear out according to activity.
The leather / wicking bands will pull sweat away from your body as designed, but also into the straw. It will eventually absorb oils and stain.

Ive had the first hat on the left for a couple years now, only worn for casual spring / summer, dinner, town etc. Center hat is for yard work, light maintenance stuff. Last hat is for heavy labor. Once a "yard hat" gets dirty I rotate them to hard use, setting posts, fields, anything that I know will require me to drink a ton of water due to heat and sweat. Still does the job, but they can get ugly if you work hard wearing one. Not something you would wanna wear out and about. I think I go through about one a year. Straw hats used to be a lot cheaper, they were never designed to last forever, summer work. Felt is different, I've never had to replace a good felt hat, they will last a lifetime. But, felt sucks in the heat, and I haven't found a lighter better alternative to straw as of yet.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240952/IMG_0807_JPG-1950243.JPG

View Quote

Great info, thanks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#11]
How do you guys size hats? I wore an 8 in the Army but my hair is a lot longer now. I'm looking at the American Hat Makers hats; looks like 3x is just a touch over 8.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How do you guys size hats? I wore an 8 in the Army but my hair is a lot longer now. I'm looking at the American Hat Makers hats; looks like 3x is just a touch over 8.
View Quote

measure your haid with a tape measure and then buy according to the size chart.

(7 3/4 hat and XL motorbike helmet here)
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If I were going to get one, it sure as shit wouldn't be black for wear in TX.

View Quote

They have other colors.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nice price but they look heavy. Do you have one?
View Quote

No, but they’re better than a doo rag.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

hot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cut off jean shorts with square toe boots and a cowboy hat is perfectly fine attire. If I'm going into town I'll throw on a sleeveless pearl snap button shirt.

hot.

I saw someone wear that exact outfit opening night at the opera three seasons ago.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life was when a roommate in college went walking around in the dorms wearing a Stetson hat, a Speedo, and boots.
View Quote
Don't get out much, do you?
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#17]
lifeguard hat.

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#18]
My straw one is coolest.
But my Cav Stetson is The Coolest.  I alternate between them.  Written as I sit in a TexMex cantina in Schlunburg TX.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The straw cowboy hats do work well. I prefer mine over various other hats. This hat in particular is comfortable in the hot sun of Summer in west Texas. Link

It isn’t a big name brand but it is just as good in quality for considerably savings.
View Quote

That's a good lookin hat
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Also, consider the beach comber look:
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#22]
This if you are going to near any water or wearing shorts and flip flops. This hat gives lots of shade.

https://www.hemlockhatco.com/collections/all?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKCAjwtJ2FBhAuEiwAIKu19uxHFS_m7cA09bUspIWGzXEY2GzxbNr9Fn3M74urc-I8vQbSkWLBfhoCJ_wQAvD_BwE
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Resistol straw is what I have.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 6:50:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would add, it you are not a real cowboy, don't get a cowboy hat. You will look like a dork.
View Quote
You do realize that "real 'cowboys'" were escaped teenaged slaves back in the first half of the 1800's?

"You can call me a cattleman, or you can even call me a buckeroo...but don't be fer callin' me a cowboy".

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You're going to look like a dweeb regardless so just pick the one that you like most and roll with it, dork.
View Quote

Not quite as polite as what I was going to say but what I was going to say nonetheless
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 8:51:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Home depot.  Rural king.  Orschelin.  Etc.

Look for a sun hat that doesn't make it look like you left your boots at home
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm going to have to agree with the Stetson Open Road Straw that has been mentioned. It's not as obnoxious as a regular cowboy hat and won't look like you belong in the background of a Jason Aldean music video.

Attachment Attached File

Stetson Open Road 10X Straw
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Wide brim, light color, and plenty of mesh material for air circulation.

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 9:23:23 AM EDT
[#30]
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#31]

My option.

I have a woodland wide brim form LeJeune I got i 87 and a desert camo regular brim I got as a freebie in some online order.

Was wearing the desert one yesterday while working in the sun.

cheap is good, can be crushed without incident.   In fact my green one is jammed under my jeep seat from when I was wearing it flying my RC plane the other day.  One really needs a brimmed hat for that if there is any sun.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Don't get out much, do you?
View Quote
You didn't see it.

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Wrong.

Wear some jeans and you will be fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're going to look like a dweeb regardless so just pick the one that you like most and roll with it, dork.

Wrong.

Wear some jeans and you will be fine.

Well depends on location.

When I worked by Ft. Drum the western borne soldiers would often do their big big hat, boots, and giant belt buckle thing.   The locals of course thought them silly.   Of course being 18-20 year olds they were.  .   Oh brings back memories......the western soldiers with big truck duallies, truck nuts and even one goober fastened lariats as decoration to the back of his truck cab.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#34]
came in here to suggest this. I rock mine when I mow or do yardwork and now all the neighbors want me to do their yards.
OP, get a feather hatband so you don't look like a tourist.

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Ended up with my grandfather's 80s vintage Stetson straw hat after he passed-so much shade.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top