BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He nearly shit when I told him that first oil change would cost $600 because they send it away to get tested on. He said "shit I will do it myself"....I let him know he would violate the warranty that way.
View Quote
Where did you get this info??  No way that changing the oil yourself will void the warranty.  Hell the first oil change was free for the 2 Harley's I have bought.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Where did you get this info??  No way that changing the oil yourself will void the warranty.  Hell the first oil change was free for the 2 Harley's I have bought.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He nearly shit when I told him that first oil change would cost $600 because they send it away to get tested on. He said "shit I will do it myself"....I let him know he would violate the warranty that way.
I'm betting that's a tale straight from a Harley stealership.

FWIW, I can change fluids and filters in all four of my street bikes for four years straight - using synthetics - and not spend $600. Methinks someone is trying to prop up a failing business model by severely upping the service hours charge.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm betting that's a tale straight from a Harley stealership.

FWIW, I can change fluids and filters in all four of my street bikes for four years straight - using synthetics - and not spend $600. Methinks someone is trying to prop up a failing business model by severely upping the service hours charge.
View Quote
That would be my guess.  The dealerships are expensive as hell but I have never seen $600 for the first oil change.  Usually more like $300 or so.  Have a friend that payed $1000 for a set of tires from a dealer.  He was pissed when I bought the same tires and payed under $400 from a small local garage.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]
My first bike was a KLR650, laid it down about a dozen times the day I bought it dicing around the beach and some off road trails on Oahu.  I didn't care how scarred up that bike got, my new Victory doesn't ever see rain, too pretty.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No...being stupid and refusing to gear up made Fucknuts the man he is today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Harley Davidson made Gary Busey the man he is today.
You tell Sergeant Zim that he is wrong...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My wife thought she would like to have her own bike.  She bought a Suzuki (edit - not an EX500 which is a Kaw) GS500E and after I did a bunch of maintenance and clean up work she decided she didn't want to ride.

The guy we sold the bike to had only ridden small scooters before.  He handed us the cash and I suggested I'd just ride it over to his house and drop it off for him.  I'm really glad he took me up on that.

My bike back then was a ZRX1200R which I picked as a bike to get back into riding since I wanted a standard and didn't want anything too heavy.    

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/312702/2bikes2-281055.JPG 
View Quote
@MATTINFAIRBORN

Any more details and pics of the beautiful grey bike?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Damn I've heard that before people buy brand new Harleys and crash them on the way home.
View Quote
Here is OP's co-worker.
Rider crashes brand new bike while pulling out of the dealership
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]

tfw crash 4 hours after buying a brand new bike
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
4 wheels please. No bikes for me.

A.W.D.
View Quote

So what are you thinking like a 4 wheeler?
Because I wrecked mine this weekend.  
I am lucky as hell.  
Only a couple of bruises and broken plastic.  

It doesn't have to be a bike to fuck you up.  I was contemplating buying one but this whole {you could be dead too} thing has me re prioritizing things.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Them damn Harleys will throw you down and then kick your ass. Stay the fuck off them things.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I helped pick a guy up off the road when he wrecked his brand new harley with the temp tag still on it a couple years ago.  He was all kitted out,  sleeveless leather harley jacket, harley boots, helmet, the works.  Even dropped a fairly nice .45 on the road while he skidded along.

i felt pretty bad for him. his arm was all skinned up, back was hurting,  he was soooo worried about his wife. I could tell he was going to get his ass handed to him.  I guarantee she told him not to do it, he was going to get hurt, and he did

poor bastard.  I probably should have just shot him to save him from what is probably STILL going on at home.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He left work early Friday to fly from MO to CO, to pick up his new Harley and meet with his Dad, then both of the were riding to Sturgis and then back to MO.

Well he didn't show up today, never called in. His old man just called the office and let us know he wrecked his bike, broken collar bone and wrist.

No idea when or where. Doesn't sound like he made it out of Colorado.

I don't believe he has ever owned a bike but I Know he grew up riding his dads bikes, he told me he broke his collar bone before riding a bike...

Well now he has done it twice.

I doubt he even had MC license. Not sure tho.

I was telling him Friday everyone I Know who rode a motorcycle has wrecked. That's when he said "yea me too, I broke my collar bone"

Edit, I know he paid 9 grand for the bike, brand new. He said it was a smaller bike.

I guess his dad said the road was wet and both dad and son crashed but I guess the son was only one injured.

If anyone can find a news story his initials are RM, he is 27, in a hospital in CO. I'm guessing the wreck happened yesterday on the way back from Sturgis.

I texted him but I'm sure he is doped up or getting worked on.
View Quote

WTF!!!

fuck,,, I have thought about getting a Harley in the Future,, but not for a $600 oil change..
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Wild Hogs.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Target fixation will get you every time...
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Meanwhile, I just survived a weekend hooning around on someone else's R1200GS.

The swamp critters were duly impressed by how readily it picks up the front wheel, until the eletronics firmly but politely tell you "NO."

I miss that fucking thing already.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is exactly what i'm doing.  First few rides will be neighborhood only.  I've got a nice church within 2 minutes of the house.  I plan on spending a lot of time there learning clutch control, friction zone, etc.

Just passed the MSF 3 weeks ago.  My only poor choice (according to advice from some, not others) was getting a Tiger 800 for my first bike.  That's probably a bit more power then a noob like me should have, though owners have told me it has a very smooth, linear throttle and power output, so it's not nearly as bad as the HP numbers lead you to believe.  The saving grace is it does have rain mode, which i will keep it in religiously for the first 6 months.  My biggest concern is less the power and more it being top heavy.  That will make slow speed maneuvering more tricky, so i'll have to be careful.  Plus side is i've got a full complement of bars, so nothing should get damaged to badly if i drop it.
View Quote
A Tiger 800 has the power come on fast.  It's very torquey at low RPM's.  It is very top heavy so be conscious of starting and stopping.  Especially if you are not that tall.  It is heavy as well.  When cruising the bike feels light as a feather and handles very well.  It's really comfortable as well.  

It will power wheelie in first without letting out the clutch fast.

Once you are an experienced rider it is a fun bike.  It sounds amazing with the rpm's up in the twisties!    Nothing like that triple sound.  Mine even handles them well with all the luggage on.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The swamp critters were duly impressed by how readily it picks up the front wheel, until the eletronics firmly but politely tell you "NO."

View Quote
That or a 1290 SA-R may be my next bike.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is exactly what i'm doing.  First few rides will be neighborhood only.  I've got a nice church within 2 minutes of the house.  I plan on spending a lot of time there learning clutch control, friction zone, etc.

Just passed the MSF 3 weeks ago.  My only poor choice (according to advice from some, not others) was getting a Tiger 800 for my first bike.  That's probably a bit more power then a noob like me should have, though owners have told me it has a very smooth, linear throttle and power output, so it's not nearly as bad as the HP numbers lead you to believe.  The saving grace is it does have rain mode, which i will keep it in religiously for the first 6 months.  My biggest concern is less the power and more it being top heavy.  That will make slow speed maneuvering more tricky, so i'll have to be careful.  Plus side is i've got a full complement of bars, so nothing should get damaged to badly if i drop it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I bought my first bike (having finished the MSF course) I had it delivered to my house so I could practice in my quiet neighborhood before bringing it onto busier roads.

I felt like a pussy, but after reading some of these stories, maybe I was smart.

My first bike was a 883 Sportster. Not overpowered at all, especially given my size (6'3, 230). It was actually kinda weak at higher speeds. But boy, it turned nicely.

I ignored people that said I shouldn't buy a NEW bike while still learning. I was happy with my decision. I was just CAREFUL. Knew my limitations, and progressed gradually.

I eventually got a Fat Boy after people told me I needed a bigger bike. I miss that zippy little Sportster's maneuverability. I'm thinking of trading the Fat Boy in for a Dyna.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/312702/1u4viu-281075.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Harley Davidson made Gary Busey the man he is today.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/312702/1u4viu-281075.JPG
I know a group of HDs will not ride with me;

Jap cruiser
Full face helmet
Boots
Leather reinforce sacrificial gloves
C- 3 mesh jacket with armor
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#20]
$30,000 and 300 miles does not make you a biker. I have thought long and hard about starting a shipping service that delivers hardleys to within a couple of miles of the owners destination so they can ride it in the rest of the way.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The guy I sold my Street Glide to laid it down about 5 days after he bought it.

Bellmore Harley in NY had a guy crash about 10 feet out of the parking lot 2 weeks ago.
View Quote
Guy I sold my bike to killed himself on it within a week. Funny part is that he's the one who taught me to ride.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't even interested in one until that was the only thing I could get my hands on to go riding for the weekend.

Holy fuck, what an awesome bike!

The Multistrada has a bit (a noticeable bit, actually) more performance going balls-out on pavement, but the GS spanks it so many other ways and is faster than 95% of other vehicles in real world street conditions.

If I get one, the first place I'm riding to is Starbucks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm guessing,it wasn't loud enough....
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#24]
A few years ago a guy here who had never ridden a bike before took delivery of his brand new Harley and he promptly whiskey throttled it right into the dealership's plow tuck and was killed in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A few years ago a guy here who had never ridden a bike before took delivery of his brand new Harley and he promptly whiskey throttled it right into the dealership's plow tuck and was killed in the parking lot.
View Quote
That absolutely confounds me.

You have $20,000 to piss away on a Harley but not $100 and a weekend to learn how to ride on someone else's bike?

Like, your probably going to end up dropping your first bike regardless, but you're pretty well guaran-fucking-teed to smash up your fancy paint job if you've literally never ridden 10' before.

Even from a purely financial perspective, it's lunacy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Guy I sold my bike to killed himself on it within a week. Funny part is that he's the one who taught me to ride.
View Quote
That's the funny part?  
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:48:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Been a lot of people by me dying lately on bikes, as I was reading this a friend of
mine on FB posted a go fund me page of his friend who just got t boned on
Saturday. His conditioned worsened when blood started pooling on the brain.
I got rid of my liter bike earlier this summer for a nice 4x4 classic Ford.
I miss the bike but too much gravel up here and drivers swerving into me
from both directions at times made me rethink.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:28:40 AM EDT
[#28]
And people wonder why I refuse test rides when selling a bike.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:30:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine was an Army recruiter when he bought his Harley.  He went straight from the dealer to the recruiting office (multiple branchs at location) pulls up and starts hitting the throttle in the parking lot, showing off with the loud pipes to get everyone's attention...
All the different recruiters file out to see his new ride.

Well... after showing off, and a small military crowd gathers to admire his beautiful bike, he hops off and.....

He forgets to put down the kickstand
View Quote
The chances of falling off are directly proportional to the number of people watching.

Most of my "crashes" today are on my Dual-Sport and at zero mph.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:51:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I sold bikes part time and we had a guy dump his Katana in the parking lot.  Ordered him a new mirror.
View Quote
I wrenched on bikes for a dealer about thirty years ago.  We could tell when a newbe bought his first bike.  It was kind of a joke to say "Happy motoring!" as they left the lot while we were doing the Catholic cross.

Sometimes their riding buddies were the most at fault "Get the 1000cc, you're gonna grow out of that 600 in no time.".

Happy Motoring!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:53:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A lot of wrecks happen because a less experienced person is riding behind a more experienced person. The more experienced rider inevitably gets out way ahead and the inexperienced rider has to haul ass to catch up and usually bites it in a turn that took too fast. Always put the least experienced rider in the front.
View Quote
Yup and RIDE YOUR OWN MOTORCYCLE!

If I lose you I will wait at the next intersection.  if you lose me then wait at the next intersection.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:58:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
And a stuck clutch.
View Quote
Target fixation.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:05:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
$30,000 and 300 miles does not make you a biker. I have thought long and hard about starting a shipping service that delivers hardleys to within a couple of miles of the owners destination so they can ride it in the rest of the way.
View Quote
Already being done. The first time I went to Daytona for Bike Week, I was amazed at the number of tractor/trailer transport rigs and pickup/trailer combos parked around town.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Already being done. The first time I went to Daytona for Bike Week, I was amazed at the number of tractor/trailer transport rigs and pickup/trailer combos parked around town.
View Quote
Amtrak Autotrain Motorcycle Transport
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
"I'm of the school that when it's you're time it's your time"

And that's a pertinent statement that I normally hear (and now read) from people who actually practice and challenge their riding skills like you did.  With what you were doing, the average Harley rider might as well be a child on a training wheels bike compared to the level you had your skills at.

But to just say the statement means folks who don't think it through will live by it, and they are - inevitably - the ones who hurt or kill themselves due to not really knowing 'how' to make a bike work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm of the school that when it's you're time it's your time. I've taken the classes, I'm a Shriner and I compete in obstacle courses, drill competitions and slow boxes, practice every Sunday. Dumb luck that when I was going 35 in a 35 I was taken off my Ultra Classic by Bambi's Mom. Now that my spinal fracture is healed up and I can walk again, this hunting season it's time for retribution!

"I'm of the school that when it's you're time it's your time"

And that's a pertinent statement that I normally hear (and now read) from people who actually practice and challenge their riding skills like you did.  With what you were doing, the average Harley rider might as well be a child on a training wheels bike compared to the level you had your skills at.

But to just say the statement means folks who don't think it through will live by it, and they are - inevitably - the ones who hurt or kill themselves due to not really knowing 'how' to make a bike work.
There's no level of training or riding experience that will negate all level of risk. You take the classes, practice quick stops, maintain your MC, watch your speed, wear the gear (I wear a helmet at all times, I don't wear a jacket), keep your eyes up and pay attention and you'll likely go on forever. Every once in a while you'll get blind sided by forces out of your control because...when it's you're time........
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That absolutely confounds me.

You have $20,000 to piss away on a Harley but not $100 and a weekend to learn how to ride on someone else's bike?

Like, your probably going to end up dropping your first bike regardless, but you're pretty well guaran-fucking-teed to smash up your fancy paint job if you've literally never ridden 10' before.

Even from a purely financial perspective, it's lunacy.
View Quote
The culture that the Harley bikes attract are wanna-be manly-men.  It never even hits them that starting out on a 250cc (or smaller) Japanese bike is in any way a thing to do, let alone a good thing to do.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Edit, I know he paid 9 grand for the bike, brand new. He said it was a smaller bike. Im not sure you can even buy a new sportster for 9k nowadays. Maybe he bought one of those street 500/750's ?

He nearly shit when I told him that first oil change would cost $600 because they send it away to get tested on. He said "shit I will do it myself"....I let him know he would violate the warranty that way. This statement is absolutely false. I hope you were joking with him?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I started in the woods at age 25 with a suzuki KDX250
2 years later bought a ninja 600
Now I have an Aprilia RST 1000 that sits in my garage

Attachment Attached File

I have 2 toddlers and using my CJ7 is way easier logistically.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Damn, that sucks.

I might be one of the few lucky people to have ridden their brand new bike home from the dealership having never ridden a motorcycle before, and survived.

But I did know how to drive a stick shift vehicle fairly well.  I probably wouldn't have tried that stunt if I didn't already know the magic of the clutch.

That was in 2006 and I was in my 30's.
View Quote
Are you me?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Forgot to mention, my dipshit brother wanted a bike(Honda CBR1000) at a local dealership. He didn't have the credit to get a loan but worked a deal with the place to let him buy it layaway style, and ride it while doing this if he brought it back by close of business. After a month or two of this, he dumped it and fucked up the plastic on one side, rode it back to the dealer, apologized and said the bike wasn't for him. THAT'S when the dealer found out they were letting him ride their bike with no license or insurance.

He lost the money he'd put into it up to there, but never had to pay for the damage. Never understood that one, unless the dealer decided it was cheaper to write it off than face fines for letting an unlicensed, inexperienced rider take the bike out repeatedly on city streets alone.
View Quote
They probably claimed it was damaged during a test ride and pocketed the cash to cover the depreciation from mileage. He got off easy, really.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

@MATTINFAIRBORN

Any more details and pics of the beautiful grey bike?
View Quote
@RayFromJersey

2004 Kaw ZRX1200R.  Specs and "It is an evolution of the ZRX1100, a stylized replica of the "Eddie Lawson Replica" KZ1000R sold in 1982, a motorcycle made famous by the superbike racing champion of the same name. With the ZRX1200R, Kawasaki's goal was to produce a motorcycle with the performance of a modern motorcycle, while retaining a design similar to the original Eddie Lawson Replica. 

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#42]
13 accident free years commuting to work, riding whole weekends, long multi-state trips, etc.

I doubt I'll ever get back on one.  Fuck you Apple, Samsung, Google...
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
13 accident free years commuting to work, riding whole weekends, long multi-state trips, etc.

View Quote
I know that this flies in the face of personal freedoms and whatnot, and "oh the noes, more Big Government/Big Business interference", but how hard would it be to make it so that nothing would work on a cell phone except for mapping apps and phone calls (if connected to a Bluetooth handsfree device) if the phone is moving more than 10mph?

Hell, Pokémon Go! would not work if it detected that you were driving.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They probably claimed it was damaged during a test ride and pocketed the cash to cover the depreciation from mileage. He got off easy, really.
View Quote
Pretty sure that's exactly what they did-lucky 3 times. First that he dumped it in a low speed turn and no traffic, second that they didn't sue him and third that he never got caught without the license.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I know that this flies in the face of personal freedoms and whatnot, and "oh the noes, more Big Government/Big Business interference", but how hard would it be to make it so that nothing would work on a cell phone except for mapping apps and phone calls (if connected to a Bluetooth handsfree device) if the phone is moving more than 10mph?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even for passengers?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Harley owners manual says you can only go straight.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/sYxU_lYBHpY[/youtube]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Heh, And you guys make fun of Spyders, I bought mine and rode it 77 miles home, because it was more like riding an ATV/Snowmobile, which i was familiar with, versus riding a motorcycle :)
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This reminds me of a question I have-

If you show up at Sturgis with one of those tricycle motorcycle things with two wheels in the front, do all the guys make fun of you?
View Quote
From what i've seen they have their own meets at sturgis, as well as the Polaris Slingshot guys.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Harley owners manual says you can only go straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://youtu.be/sYxU_lYBHpY
View Quote
Yeah, that rider is ready to graduate to something with more lean angle. But come on! He was walking it off before his bike even stopped tumbling. Gotta give him props for the dismount.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#50]
When I was 14 or 15, my older brother bought a used Honda something or another. He aggravated the piss out of me until I rode it. I did a few laps around our parents yard and realized that 2 wheels weren't for me. We're both lucky I didn't crash it.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top