Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now it is Thursday.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yeah, that rider is ready to graduate to something with more lean angle. But come on! He was walking it off before his bike even stopped tumbling. Gotta give him props for the dismount.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Harley owners manual says you can only go straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://youtu.be/sYxU_lYBHpY
Yeah, that rider is ready to graduate to something with more lean angle. But come on! He was walking it off before his bike even stopped tumbling. Gotta give him props for the dismount.
+2

I don't want to emulate him, but you gotta give the guy credit for being impressively durable.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]
My 1st Motorcycle in 1972, was a Sears Alstate Twin. I rode it for several years.....

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#5]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already being done. The first time I went to Daytona for Bike Week, I was amazed at the number of tractor/trailer transport rigs and pickup/trailer combos parked around town.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljh6trVqaIQ
My instructor for my certification class to teach the BRC/BRC2 told us that she will ride her Goldwing from VA to FL, and if she gets too wore out, or the weather is going to be shit for the ride back, she will take the Autotrain.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Even for passengers?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
13 accident free years commuting to work, riding whole weekends, long multi-state trips, etc.

I doubt I'll ever get back on one.  Fuck you Apple, Samsung, Google...
I know that this flies in the face of personal freedoms and whatnot, and "oh the noes, more Big Government/Big Business interference", but how hard would it be to make it so that nothing would work on a cell phone except for mapping apps and phone calls (if connected to a Bluetooth handsfree device) if the phone is moving more than 10mph?

Hell, Pokémon Go! would not work if it detected that you were driving.
Even for passengers?
Pokémon Go! would pop up a screen that asked if you were a passenger, so you could play while riding. As specific as the location services on newer phones are, it should be able to determine if a phone is being used by a driver or a passenger. Or, if the driver clicked the little box that said that "I am a passenger", then they could be liable for extra damages in the event that they cause an accident. My point is that, if people will not voluntarily put their phones down when they are driving, then the tech exists to make them not work while you are driving.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Harley owners manual says you can only go straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://youtu.be/sYxU_lYBHpY
View Quote
I think his crash was more due to the fact that his foot caught the pavement and got pulled under the bike.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Dat transmission, doh

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The culture that the Harley bikes attract are wanna-be manly-men.  It never even hits them that starting out on a 250cc (or smaller) Japanese bike is in any way a thing to do, let alone a good thing to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That absolutely confounds me.

You have $20,000 to piss away on a Harley but not $100 and a weekend to learn how to ride on someone else's bike?

Like, your probably going to end up dropping your first bike regardless, but you're pretty well guaran-fucking-teed to smash up your fancy paint job if you've literally never ridden 10' before.

Even from a purely financial perspective, it's lunacy.
The culture that the Harley bikes attract are wanna-be manly-men.  It never even hits them that starting out on a 250cc (or smaller) Japanese bike is in any way a thing to do, let alone a good thing to do.
Ha.  My only bike is a Honda Rebel 250cc.  I look pretty bad ass on it being 6'4 260#.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:38:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Bike was not stock. My stock Ultra Classic will lean over that much and not even come close to dragging.
His bags were dragging and my bike wouldn't drag the bags unless it was on its side.. I just got back from my annual 
ride to West Virginia and back two days ago. I know how deep you can dive into a corner with one.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:28:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I was riding in moderate traffic a few miles from home and had my clutch handle break off while I was attempting to change gears from 3rd to 4th. I managed to limp it home by keeping it in 3rd gear and sort of rolling through a few stop signs. Upon looking at the piston that the handle was connected to, the rubber boot was fine but the piston had somehow come out of it's housing and hung up causing me to break the clutch handle. I couldn't believe how easy it was to break. I replaced everything with new parts. I thought I was going to have to fix a hole in the seat when my ass took a bite.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:06:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Nice try.

That's not the transmission, it's the primary case and it's aluminum.

Aluminum doesn't throw sparks, it's more than likely the floorboard supports, the foot peg, or the kickstand that's throwing sparks. None of which are shown in your photo.

Here's a better shot:

Sparks originate far forward of the primary case.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://img.youtube.com/vi/sYxU_lYBHpY/0.jpg

Sparks originate far forward of the primary case.
View Quote
f'n OUCH!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Bump for Harley Hate Thursday
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I like my Hog,  its older and paid off,  dont ride it like I used to,  to many assholes on iPhones,  

I lol at the southpark cartoons 

no homo

Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:18:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That would be my guess.  The dealerships are expensive as hell but I have never seen $600 for the first oil change.  Usually more like $300 or so.  Have a friend that payed $1000 for a set of tires from a dealer.  He was pissed when I bought the same tires and payed under $400 from a small local garage.
View Quote
Japanese bike dealer I worked at pushed the "first service" thing really hard .

Besides an oil change it amounted to having a tech go over the bike with a torque wrench making sure nothing was loose.

It cost about $300-400 
$100 for the oil change and 2-3 hours labor.

It was used more as a scare tactic by F&I to sell service pacakges
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was riding in moderate traffic a few miles from home and had my clutch handle break off while I was attempting to change gears from 3rd to 4th. I managed to limp it home by keeping it in 3rd gear and sort of rolling through a few stop signs. Upon looking at the piston that the handle was connected to, the rubber boot was fine but the piston had somehow come out of it's housing and hung up causing me to break the clutch handle. I couldn't believe how easy it was to break. I replaced everything with new parts. I thought I was going to have to fix a hole in the seat when my ass took a bite.
View Quote
I've actually seen that happen before.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top