Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I would like to see what a permanent and more robust system for a breaker panel is. Also curious what voltage is involved.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#2]
LOTO where I work is electrical tape over the circuits you are working on and sticky notes as a back up.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You gotta add the magic words  "No Response is a Response" to the email.  Then save the email in case you need to remind the asshole in front of others.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#4]
EHS managers are like HR folks…another layer of useless bureaucracy that interjects itself into processes that they have no clue about and do nothing but get in the way of actual work.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
LOTO where I work is electrical tape over the circuits you are working on and sticky notes as a back up.
View Quote

Fuck that
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would like to see what a permanent and more robust system for a breaker panel is. Also curious what voltage is involved.  

View Quote

They're larger switches.  Some of them already have attachments built-in for locks.  Some of them don't.  People are less likely to lockout if they have to go find a temporary device.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
EHS managers are like HR folks…another layer of useless bureaucracy that interjects itself into processes that they have no clue about and do nothing but get in the way of actual work.
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I replied something along the lines of "I never implied I was. Hence why I emailed you about it months ago."

I'm perturbed. That's all.
View Quote

Re:All?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you use pennies as fuses?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much spot on. I don’t trust plant managers for my safety either though.

Some are good, some are not.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lol, that sounds like a problem free day in my world.

I'm about to fire my second in command. That is going to be interesting.
View Quote

U-Toob video link
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
lots of sexual frustration in your post
View Quote

You cut right to the chase don't you
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No idea what an EHS manager is but according to the engineering manager’s eventual response is that it sounds like LO/TO isn’t your responsibility.

Op, are you staying in your lane?

EDIT: I see above response.  I suspect you’re the guy to make reports, documentation and make suggestions.  I’m guessing you went outside your pay grade by taking the initiative to implement this.  
View Quote

except ive yet to see safety signs (to be ignored) that says "see a safety concern? stay in your lane" , or "safety, NOT YOUR PROBLEM"
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#14]
lol
Op is the safety man
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:03:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would've been extra petty and attached a screenshot of the original email

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I replied something along the lines of "I never implied I was. Hence why I emailed you about it months ago."

If I'm feeling particularly frosty I'll go so far as to forward my original email and just add "FYI..." above it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#16]
You should added that it was urgent since the facility manager did not do his job and insure that the motorcontrol room was up to OSHA' s standards
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Friend of the wife's family is in long term care now, due to a moron supervisor that removed the tag and turned on the machine he was inside of. (meat press at a packing plant) Not even an emergency lockout, regular scheduled cleaning cycle the supervisor KNEW was in progress.

Did they fire the supervisor in question?  Nope, burned the safety guy and two OTHER employees on the same processing line for not properly tagging out their sections.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Sucks to suck for the Engineering guy.  We don't hold up projects and timelines because you're a fucking moron who can't answer emails.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Friend of the wife's family is in long term care now, due to a moron supervisor that removed the tag and turned on the machine he was inside of. (meat press at a packing plant) Not even an emergency lockout, regular scheduled cleaning cycle the supervisor KNEW was in progress.

Did they fire the supervisor in question?  Nope, burned the safety guy and two OTHER employees on the same processing line for not properly tagging out their sections.
View Quote

Ouch.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I would take the parts that were ordered up to this guys office along with a sledge hammer.  Then lay the parts out on his desk and smash them.  Tell him to not bother you the rest of the year.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Have your EH&S counterpart that handles SDS and Hazcom inspections head over to that shop and start digging around. Make sure all the technicians are up to date with mandatory training.

I work at a university and EH&S can be really painful to work with if you piss them off. Say you need to review all the confined space and hot work permits too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

And copy the entire company?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Have your EH&S counterpart that handles SDS and Hazcom inspections head over to that shop and start digging around. Make sure all the technicians are up to date with mandatory training.

I work at a university and EH&S can be really painful to work with if you piss them off. Say you need to review all the confined space and hot work permits too.

Make them bend at the knee OP.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Safety man thread.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I’m pretty sure we just use thick zip ties with a certain tag that has signatures of who is locking it out.  No actual locks are used on equipment
View Quote

Minimum 50lb test tywraps and you’re GTG. UNODIR.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I just don’t understand being an asshole. It’s just so cringe to me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Choke on a bagpf dicks would be my response
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Riveting tale old chap, pray relate it again.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Work email stories are the best!

You got a good life if this is all you have to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You should order a bunch of software for the IT guy and then post another thread.
View Quote

SensibleChuckle.gif
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Report yourself to OSHA.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you aren’t in direct control of the energy source you need a lock in place that you control the only key for.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I should add that this guy is the type who can't collaborate with anyone. What he says goes, and often he screws it up without repercussion.
View Quote

It takes four people to collaborate.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They're larger switches.  Some of them already have attachments built-in for locks.  Some of them don't.  People are less likely to lockout if they have to go find a temporary device.
View Quote

Is this a breaker panel or an mcc?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I should add that this guy is the type who can't collaborate with anyone. What he says goes, and often he screws it up without repercussion.
View Quote

Sounds like he is related to somebody higher up in the company.

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Hell that's a normal Thursday morning around here
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm an EHS manager.

Months ago, looked into getting more permanent and robust lockout/tagout devices for a large breaker panel. I did the research, found the right devices for each type of breaker (as recommended by the manufacturer of each of the switches), and sent an email to engineering manager for confirmation. Never got a response. Purchasing manager ordered them regardless. Parts came in. I talked to electrical install guy about putting them on. He says "yeah no problem, just email engineering manager because he prioritizes my projects". So I did.

Engineering manager replies "electrical installation guy should decide what devices we need. you're not an electrician." And he added the plant manager and assistant plant manager to the reply.

View Quote

Depending on how big your company or how big your plant is, this electronic LOTO system using RFID tags and a computer software package looks interesting:

https://www.ishn.com/articles/97922-new-master-lock-hf-rfid-barcode-labels-label-id-tag-makes-lockouttagout-safety-compliance-easier

I have no idea what  the (safe) work permitting process is like at your work, but ideally such a computer LOTO system would also work with the work permitting system.

For example, if some outside contractors were coming in  to do work that required LOTO, the work permit could only be issued to the contractors after the LOTO  tags (and locks) have been verified to actually be locking out the proper parts (and that zero energy has been verified).

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If I'm feeling particularly frosty I'll go so far as to forward my original email and just add "FYI..." above it.
View Quote

On a windows machine, pressing the windows key, control, and the letter S keys simultaneously.  That brings up the screen capture or snippet tool .

Then just drag the crosshairs pointer over the area you want to screen cap say like the original email you sent.

Then reply to the jackoff’s email by pasting in that screen cap.  Then write something like “Here is the original email I sent you on such and such a date.  You never replied.”

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#39]
I ordered all new Brady LOTO individual kits for my guys.  Try to give them everything needed for LOTO. AF clothing, suits, helmets, Cat IV meters at 480V, valve locks, cables, etc. NFPA 70E is written in blood from past mistakes.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#40]
You allowed yourself to be angered by a co-worker.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Where I work if the EHS manager got into the business of ordering our LOTO equipment we would punt her out the door. She is utterly useless, in every way. That being said, it's on old boy for not responding
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#42]
After working in Hollywood for well over two decades I've seen some crazy F-d-up, in your face, and tactically brilliant political combat.
OP, when someone does this to you, it's an opportunity to counter and move up the ladder.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

EHS = hold up production
View Quote

Guessing you've never done a death investigation.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes and no. I work in r&d for process and equipment development. EHS here is basically God. They can be a bit nit picky, but if you take the time to work with them, understand their concerns, and address them in a reasonable manner, they'll work with you to come up with a solution that is both safe and effective.

I work with and design things that can kill, maim, or burn. I've had things I've designed injure people in a way I never thought possible. Safety isn't a joke, and I never want to hear something i designed seriously hurt someone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is an EHS manager?  
Why are you locking out equipment?

Environment & Health Safety.

A busy body. We have EHS managers where I work. They’re pretty much useless. Sorry, OP.

Yes and no. I work in r&d for process and equipment development. EHS here is basically God. They can be a bit nit picky, but if you take the time to work with them, understand their concerns, and address them in a reasonable manner, they'll work with you to come up with a solution that is both safe and effective.

I work with and design things that can kill, maim, or burn. I've had things I've designed injure people in a way I never thought possible. Safety isn't a joke, and I never want to hear something i designed seriously hurt someone.

Where I work the EHS managers are completely useless. Always coming up with stupid and impractical ways to do things that don’t work and then they make us use tools that under the pretense of safety that make our jobs more difficult and take longer or make it so we can’t do our job.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If you aren’t in direct control of the energy source you need a lock in place that you control the only key for.
View Quote

We lock the key to one of these cables:

EDIT:  I guess the pic upload feature is not working properly???

Then a yellow car seal zip tie goes through those back holes.  The serial number on the zip tie gets written in on our  LOTO paperwork firm.

If we ever get auditted the number on that zip tie should match the number written on the paperwork.

Usually just the foreman locks on through one of those black holes.  That whole cable thing is placed  around something secure usually far away from where the work is actually being done.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@pk54321
I sell these kits, what company do you typically order from?
View Quote

I think we ordered them from Schneider Electric.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm an EHS manager.

Months ago, looked into getting more permanent and robust lockout/tagout devices for a large breaker panel. I did the research, found the right devices for each type of breaker (as recommended by the manufacturer of each of the switches), and sent an email to engineering manager for confirmation. Never got a response. Purchasing manager ordered them regardless. Parts came in. I talked to electrical install guy about putting them on. He says "yeah no problem, just email engineering manager because he prioritizes my projects". So I did.

Engineering manager replies "electrical installation guy should decide what devices we need. you're not an electrician." And he added the plant manager and assistant plant manager to the reply.

View Quote

OP, you could have avoided all this grief by just installing the parts yourself. If they don't like it, tell them to kiss your ass.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
There are lots of job openings out there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

If this guy is a prick like you describe, then you need to play the long game. Keep people on the cc from the beginning, and let the examples of his fuck ups pile up. Eventually, something will happen and he will catch the fallout.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Many decades ago I worked pulling samples and tests in industrial plants,  I sat through many a 40 hour and the follow on refreshers, confined space training, your right to know, lock out tag out.  It was tedious as hell but if you had half a brain and a conscience you kept those lessons in mind.  

Always chuckle at the claim that the OSHA inspector was denied entry beyond a site office trailer because they didn’t have the local onsite training.  He started with no MSDS (pre SDS) for the white out and an incomplete Hazard Communication Plan.  I had one client site like that, I had to sit through their training before working it despite my other OSHA certs that covered it.  There was some value in it though.  They had some nasty stuff on site, Chemical was their middle name.   To this day I dislike phenol smells.   They made many phenol supply products.

I ended up in enforcement and occasionally did work on investigations for criminally negligent or intentional  incidents.  Knowing the rules is a useful hammer for those kind of a holes that get people hurt for their own convenience.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top