Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Environment & Health Safety.

A busy body. We have EHS managers where I work. They’re pretty much useless. Sorry, OP.
View Quote

Lol, 100% this.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Sounds like he is related to somebody higher up in the company.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I should add that this guy is the type who can't collaborate with anyone. What he says goes, and often he screws it up without repercussion.

Sounds like he is related to somebody higher up in the company.

No, I was thinking just one of the I am never wrong engineer types.  They remind me of liberal school teachers who are so used to bossing around and brow beating children all day.  I have had an engineer by trade gentleman as a volunteer trainer (nothing at all related to engineering) correct me, me being asked to speak there as a SME,...except he was wrong and three years out of date but yet he was still trying to say he was right in front of thirty people.  It’s an engineer thing.

School teachers are another that give me annoyance, trying to use the teachers disciplinarian tone with adults to force their way in the real world.  Laughable when you’re about to put handcuffs on them.   Then you get the waterworks, just like mouthy young adults when they finally realize they went beyond the legal threshold.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Do you use pennies as fuses?
View Quote

I haven't found any thing like that... Yet...
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
LOTO where I work is electrical tape over the circuits you are working on and sticky notes as a back up.
View Quote

To be honest, LOTO is an honor system.  You can lock something out with padlocks, etc., but in an industrial setting, it’s not difficult to get something to cut it off.  I’ve tried to get our refinery to go to zip ties to save money over buying locks, but management won’t sign off on it even though OSHA is good with it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

To be honest, LOTO is an honor system.  You can lock something out with padlocks, etc., but in an industrial setting, it's not difficult to get something to cut it off.  I've tried to get our refinery to go to zip ties to save money over buying locks, but management won't sign off on it even though OSHA is good with it.
View Quote
I don't know about that. A pocket knife won't cut off a LOTO. I mean, most won't.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What is an EHS manager?  
Why are you locking out equipment?
View Quote

Environmental, Health, and Safety.  Procuring safety lockout equipment so people can work on stuff and not die.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm an EHS manager.

Months ago, looked into getting more permanent and robust lockout/tagout devices for a large breaker panel. I did the research, found the right devices for each type of breaker (as recommended by the manufacturer of each of the switches), and sent an email to engineering manager for confirmation. Never got a response. Purchasing manager ordered them regardless. Parts came in. I talked to electrical install guy about putting them on. He says "yeah no problem, just email engineering manager because he prioritizes my projects". So I did.

Engineering manager replies "electrical installation guy should decide what devices we need. you're not an electrician." And he added the plant manager and assistant plant manager to the reply.

I replied something along the lines of "I never implied I was. Hence why I emailed you about it months ago."

I'm perturbed. That's all.
View Quote

Are you the EHS suggestion guy or are you the EHS manager? I would ignore you too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm an EHS manager.

Months ago, looked into getting more permanent and robust lockout/tagout devices for a large breaker panel. I did the research, found the right devices for each type of breaker (as recommended by the manufacturer of each of the switches), and sent an email to engineering manager for confirmation. Never got a response. Purchasing manager ordered them regardless. Parts came in. I talked to electrical install guy about putting them on. He says "yeah no problem, just email engineering manager because he prioritizes my projects". So I did.

Engineering manager replies "electrical installation guy should decide what devices we need. you're not an electrician." And he added the plant manager and assistant plant manager to the reply.

I replied something along the lines of "I never implied I was. Hence why I emailed you about it months ago."

I'm perturbed. That's all.
View Quote

Always copy managers on at least the initial email, especially if you are not sure the person you are writing to is responsible.

Recently encountered a similar issue where a person claimed ignorance of a request I placed months ago.  I went back to the initial email I sent and sure as shit he was on it as was his manager.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#9]
It’s generally easier to get things done if you don’t loop management into things.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If that's the worst part of your week or month, then things are probably going pretty well.
View Quote

Well, there is one Arfcommer that is pissed at Carol Burnett for not being funny.

So, things could be worse.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

To be honest, LOTO is an honor system.  You can lock something out with padlocks, etc., but in an industrial setting, it’s not difficult to get something to cut it off.  I’ve tried to get our refinery to go to zip ties to save money over buying locks, but management won’t sign off on it even though OSHA is good with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOTO where I work is electrical tape over the circuits you are working on and sticky notes as a back up.

Everyone carries something that can cut a zip tie.  Cutting off a lock means you have to go get a set of bolt cutters or get a hot work permit to use a grinder.  Either of those options is more likely to get you caught and fired on the spot.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I should add that this guy is the type who can't collaborate with anyone. What he says goes, and often he screws it up without repercussion.
View Quote

Enginerds who say the type of thing that was said to you in the OP, and don't collaborate usually screw-up.  I've seen it all too often and have no use for them.  I'm on your side... and I'm an enginerd.    
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Surprising where I work the safety guy has the final say. Even over the engineers
View Quote

Same.  We can still make our case if we have a differing opinion, but no final say.  We're usually on the same page as EHS, anyway.  

OP went with the mfg's recommendation and that's kosher.

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Same.  We can still make our case if we have a differing opinion, but no final say.  We're usually on the same page as EHS, anyway.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Surprising where I work the safety guy has the final say. Even over the engineers

If you don't follow manufacturers regs then you have to have several people sign off and document why you didn't follow them and you had better be damn sure you are correct. You cannot make a change yourself no matter who you are.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I worked in mechanical maintenance for 11 years and I'm on your side too OP.  These devices don't require a change in LOTO procedures do they?  Something that would require a meeting of everybody to approve of?  If not, then engineering manager sounds like a prick.  He kinda invited himself to be told on by including the plant manager and assistant plant manager in the discussion though so there is that.

Link Posted: 10/1/2021 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't know about that. A pocket knife won't cut off a LOTO. I mean, most won't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be honest, LOTO is an honor system.  You can lock something out with padlocks, etc., but in an industrial setting, it's not difficult to get something to cut it off.  I've tried to get our refinery to go to zip ties to save money over buying locks, but management won't sign off on it even though OSHA is good with it.

No, but bolt cutters or a pinch bar aren’t hard to come by.  Depending on the cables, channel locks can be used to cut a cable.  Either way, if someone wants to get around the LOTO, it’s easy enough to do so.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Everyone carries something that can cut a zip tie.  Cutting off a lock means you have to go get a set of bolt cutters or get a hot work permit to use a grinder.  Either of those options is more likely to get you caught and fired on the spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said above, even easier than that to get around.  I doubt someone willingly breaking a LOTO would go through the trouble of getting a hot work permit.  Whoever clears the permit should figure out what’s about to happen, too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

No such thing as "no repurcussions" for someone half-assing or fucking up lock out/tag out, even if it means you have to go snip off his valve stems for being a retard.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No such thing as "no repurcussions" for someone half-assing or fucking up lock out/tag out, even if it means you have to go snip off his valve stems for being a retard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was one of like 3 things that was an automatic fire-able offense on the spot at Pfizer.  Stealing product, especially controlled product, was one of the others.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Im surprised you left him alive op.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top