farts are funny...
View Quote
yep.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 1:33:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dunno about you, but I know I would.  
(Never had an actual prostate exam, just the PSA blood test.  My insurance isn't comprehensive enough to pay for the good stuff.)
View Quote
Kind of odd, but it happened to me, the prostate exam by a female physician's assistant. I was a cop at the time and the county I worked for provided all cops/fireman a free total physical exam. Everything: blood pressure, joint reaction, height, weight, blood test, hearing, prostate, etc. I think I was worried about it so much that I didn't get a boner. I'm mean, I was married and had kids. But, it was also over very fast. Not like she was wiggling it around, which also made me suspicious that I didn't get a proper prostate exam. But, I couldn't imagine having to go before internal affairs about having a boner during my "county employee physical" and explain it. The 'worry' scared me enough.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 1:33:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 1:47:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sometimes I think about people I know now and wonder if I was ever randomly around them before knowing them.

For example, one day my wife and I were talking about our visits to Disney World when we were kids. I was 8 and she was 6. We figured out that we were there about a week apart and stayed in the same hotel. We were from different states and met in our mid 20's.

And we lived in the same city for a couple years before meeting. Went to a lot of the same places. Were we beside each other in traffic? Barely missing each other in the grocery aisle?

That kind of stuff is crazy to think about. Maybe that other driver you yelled at this morning will be your wife, or boss, or friend one day.
View Quote
My wife and I were on campus at the same college at the same time 14 years before we met and started dating.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 2:04:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 2:25:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sometimes I think about people I know now and wonder if I was ever randomly around them before knowing them.

For example, one day my wife and I were talking about our visits to Disney World when we were kids. I was 8 and she was 6. We figured out that we were there about a week apart and stayed in the same hotel. We were from different states and met in our mid 20's.

And we lived in the same city for a couple years before meeting. Went to a lot of the same places. Were we beside each other in traffic? Barely missing each other in the grocery aisle?

That kind of stuff is crazy to think about. Maybe that other driver you yelled at this morning will be your wife, or boss, or friend one day.
View Quote
This is a good one. I'm originally from Seattle and my wife is originally from Vermont.

It just so happens both of our families moved to Colorado when we were young. If either family had even decided to move to a different part of town we most likely never would have met.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 2:29:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Okay, this one goes back to when I was a kid.

You know how if you shine a flashlight onto a mirror, it will reflect the light and the light spot will show up on another wall?

Okay, with that in mind...

What if you were in a room where the floor, ceiling and all four walls were covered 100% in mirrors....and you then turned on a flashlight.

What would happen?  Also, what if instead of a flashlight, you used a laser pointer?
View Quote
The laser would probably just reflect off every wall in a continuous chain overlapping itself once it hit enough angles.

I guess it depends on the geometry of the room.

And I could be totally wrong of course. It's much cooler to think the whole room would fill with laser light.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 2:40:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You know how if you shine a flashlight onto a mirror, it will reflect the light and the light spot will show up on another wall?

What if you were in a room where the floor, ceiling and all four walls were covered 100% in mirrors....and you then turned on a flashlight.

What would happen?  Also, what if instead of a flashlight, you used a laser pointer?
View Quote
lots of photons with headaches?
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 2:40:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 2:51:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What you have to take into account is that the mirrors would not reflect 100% of the light, so it would fade a bit with each reflection.

However, a concentrated laser would hold up to that much better.

I need someone to make a huge mirrored room and then do this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The laser would probably just reflect off every wall in a continuous chain overlapping itself once it hit enough angles.

I guess it depends on the geometry of the room.

And I could be totally wrong of course. It's much cooler to think the whole room would fill with laser light.
What you have to take into account is that the mirrors would not reflect 100% of the light, so it would fade a bit with each reflection.

However, a concentrated laser would hold up to that much better.

I need someone to make a huge mirrored room and then do this.
Magnified mirrors.

I remember reading somewhere that lasers could be used to modulate time. never made sense to me because it seems like if you slowed down time ina localized area it would cause a literal rift in the material world .
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 3:18:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Everyone older than you has been exactly your same age at one point
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd imagine it'd be like going to a techno show on acid.

With the laser pointer I mean.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Kind of odd, but it happened to me, the prostate exam by a female physician's assistant. I was a cop at the time and the county I worked for provided all cops/fireman a free total physical exam. Everything: blood pressure, joint reaction, height, weight, blood test, hearing, prostate, etc. I think I was worried about it so much that I didn't get a boner. I'm mean, I was married and had kids. But, it was also over very fast. Not like she was wiggling it around, which also made me suspicious that I didn't get a proper prostate exam. But, I couldn't imagine having to go before internal affairs about having a boner during my "county employee physical" and explain it. The 'worry' scared me enough.
View Quote
Thankfully I'm not old enough to worry about that yet. When I am however I intend to look over my shoulder and maintain direct eye contact with the doctor the entire time. If I have to be uncomfortable then so should they.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My wife and I were on campus at the same college at the same time 14 years before we met and started dating.
View Quote
My ex and I went to the same daycare at the same time when I was 5 and she was 3.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
The flip side...

I think about the fact that there are millions of people who live life and I will never know them nor will they know me.

Our lives have no intersection and had neither of us lived it wouldn't matter one iota to the other person.  It wouldn't change a single thing about their life.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#17]
How can soap get dirty?

Soap is how you make things clean!

It would be like water getting dry.

Water is how you make things wet!
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:28:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The rubber dust disperses, then breaks down through UV exposure and oxidation. Simple, really.
View Quote
Before it does, it is a component of that grey slime on your car and the backs of semi trucks that you get when it rains.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:00:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Before it does, it is a component of that grey slime on your car and the backs of semi trucks that you get when it rains.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rubber dust disperses, then breaks down through UV exposure and oxidation. Simple, really.
Absolutely correct.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:04:47 AM EDT
[#20]
If you pay a hot young chick to have sex, it's a crime.

If you pay a hot young chick to have sex, film it and put it on the internet, it's a business.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 3:15:46 AM EDT
[#21]
The egg came before the chicken.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 3:20:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The egg came before the chicken.
View Quote
Most people don't realize that this question is meant, philosophically, to separate Creationists from Evolutionists.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 4:59:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Reptiles that lay hard-shelled eggs appeared around 100 million years before birds. The egg definitely came first.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 5:06:29 AM EDT
[#24]
If the entire World population stood shoulder to shoulder and toe to heel it would fit in an area the size of Los Angeles or about 503 square miles.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
IF you could travel the speed of light AND turn on a light towards your heading, would you be able to see that beam of light?
View Quote
The speed of light, so far as we know, is the only non-relative speed in the universe. It is, in fact, a constant. So, no matter the speed of the source relative to any other frame of reference, the speed of light remains the same. In fact, other aspects of the universe apparently change to keep it so. This is why red and blue shifts happen.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 6:48:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Corn is not a naturally occurring plant and will die out if not cultivated by man. At one point there were thousands of species of corn, some with kernels the size of quarters and half dollars, now we're down to maybe 50?
View Quote
Peruvian Maize, from which is made CornNuts, still has kernels the size of quarters.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Modern cows are descended from Aurox, a wild European bovine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have thought about this in depth. I have zero answer for where bread came from. Still a mystery. If you don't get
the proportions of ingredients just right, you're fucked.

More frightening is bovine. All the way back to the earliest recorded human history, cows were cultivated, but I have
never seen any evidence of wild cows in ancient texts. I'm talking about herds of Holsteins wandering the country side ... yet steak is the most divine of foods. Blows my mind.
Modern cows are descended from Aurox, a wild European bovine.
And wild yeast will leaven bread nine times out of ten just fine, if you get distracted after making dough, for a few hours. All it would have taken is for some woman to get the idea to mix up the matzah dough for tomorrow to save time, and next day, hey! it's all fluffy now! Hmmm!
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 6:58:22 AM EDT
[#28]
A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Link Posted: 12/8/2017 6:59:11 AM EDT
[#29]
You can't actually see anything. All you can "see" is light that reflects off of whatever it is you are "looking" at. In fact you can't even "see" that light, you can only perceive the neural impulses as interpreted by your brain, after stimulation of receptors in your eyes, and you can change that process with any number of chemicals and so, how do you know that your senses are reliable? Are you sure? Your dog thinks everything is B&W with some blue shades, yet it can get along pretty well.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
why is it called taking a dump when you're leaving one?
View Quote
Just make sure you don't take one of mine. The weekend is coming up, and I only have two left.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Tardigrades also known as water bears are nearly indestructible and can survive in the vacuum of space and 6 times the pressures of the deepest water of the ocean even boiling water

Linky

https://cdn1.wimp.com/images/pthumbs/2017/05/477c8b723e7a92f93c27a28fd8c85f1c_005-5-hardy-water-bears-2022063_800_0.jpg
View Quote
Seriously, that photography is amazing.

And the minute someone fucks up in a laboratory and these things escape at 1,000X their normal size is how humans will become extinct.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've wondered about this myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just in the US alone...how many millions of cars are there on the road?

And all 4 of each car'@ tires wear down?

Where does all that rubber go?
I've wondered about this myself.
Factually, a large portion of dust near paved roads is tire dust. Most of it is isoprenes and carbon, with neoprenes and other synthetics, and simply becomes part of the soil. It's non-toxic, and indistinguishable from other particulates outside of a lab.
Outside of any dog, actually.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 7:15:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What if you were in a room where the floor, ceiling and all four walls were covered 100% in 100% perfect lossless mirrors....and you then turned on a flashlight.

View Quote
With the addition in red highlights, it would be amazing.
Unfortunately, IRL, the glass isn't perfect, the reflective coating isn't perfect, it isn't a perfect vacuum between the surfaces, etc, and even if they were, remember the cube square law of distance for the flashlight, and for a laser, it's not a perfect laser, so it's not perfectly coherent light. 99.99997% is still not 100%.
A one centimeter neon laser is something like 18" when it hits the moon, IIRC. Remember one of the Apollo missions left a reflector up there, which we use to measure how far the moon gets farther away every year.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
When soap gets dirty, what do you clean it with?
View Quote
Water.

A restaurant (or dinner party) is the only social acceptable time and place to try a new design of table ware.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You can't actually see anything. All you can "see" is light that reflects off of whatever it is you are "looking" at. In fact you can't even "see" that light, you can only perceive the neural impulses as interpreted by your brain, after stimulation of receptors in your eyes, and you can change that process with any number of chemicals and so, how do you know that your senses are reliable? Are you sure? Your dog thinks everything is B&W with some blue shades, yet it can get along pretty well.
View Quote
that's cause the dog dosnet know what "color" is (or care).... and how do you know what blue is?

saw on the tube that there is some fish (cuttlefish?  shrimp?) that can see colors that we cant...wonder what that is like....now I feel like a dog....
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My great great grandma was born in 1887 on a subsistence farm in Alabama and died in 1985, a few months shy of her 102nd birthday. She had three sets of grandparents, two white, one black, with the black grandparents formerly being the property of one of her sets of white grandparents. She learned to ride a horse and buggy at a young age, but refused to learn how to drive cars, which became the norm by her 50's. She died in the era of space shuttles and personal computers. She outlived all of her children, which numbered around 15.

Imagine growing up on a subsistence farm, raised by a civil war veteran, and dying in the era of color TV and moon landings. Considering technology appears to be evolving exponentially, I wonder what stories we'll be telling our grandchildren.
View Quote
My grandmother lived to be just over 100, I don't remember exactly how old she was when she died; had a somewhat similar story. We had a big family party when she turned 100 years old and my niece read a letter my grandmother had written to her parents when she was a teenager. She had an uncle who owned a ranch in Montana and she went there and spent the summer when she was a teenager. Her uncle and the people that lived around his ranch traveled by horse and she mentioned that they were still worried to some extent about Indian attacks although I am sure this was in large part due to her being a teenage girl out of her element.

It is interesting to me, how certain historic events were not all that long ago in the grand scheme of things. I am in my mid-fifties. I am the youngest child of a couple that didn't get married until my dad was in his late thirties. My parent's grandfathers had fought in the American Civil War and they met them. Their grandfathers were in combat using muzzleloading rifles.  When my mother was just out of high school, she worked in a telegraph office where messages were sent and received using Morse code, and she lived long enough to see email and texting. My mother's father, was a WW 1 vet. I have a picture of him on the day he got back from WW 1, with my mother in a stroller and he is standing there in uniform with a trench coat and a 1911 in a holster.  When I was a kid, the guy that lived two houses away was a WW 1 vet.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#37]
If the whole world lived in one city, with the population density of NYC, that city would take up a little less than the square milage of Texas.

If that mega city had the population density of Honk Kong, it would only be the size of Delaware....

EVERY HUMAN ON EARTH.

We just aren't as important as we think sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

saw on the tube that there is some fish (cuttlefish?  shrimp?) that can see colors that we cant...wonder what that is like....now I feel like a dog....
View Quote
Mantis shrimp.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#39]
But then the earth would be lopsided and spin wildly out of orbit and into deep space.

Quoted:
If the entire World population stood shoulder to shoulder and toe to heel it would fit in an area the size of Los Angeles or about 503 square miles.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#40]
The mass of all the ants on the Earth is greater than that of all the humans on the Earth.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
It would also smell terrible.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#42]
What was the first person that thought it was a good idea to milk a cow?
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
prolly a neaderthal.  those guys will do anything.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably did it on a dare, shortly after the first beer was invented and consumed.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#45]
The statistical probability of the universe to be in its current state is a series of compounding probabilities, each of which are so low as to be considered impossible by most standards.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The speed of light, so far as we know, is the only non-relative speed in the universe. It is, in fact, a constant. So, no matter the speed of the source relative to any other frame of reference, the speed of light remains the same. In fact, other aspects of the universe apparently change to keep it so. This is why red and blue shifts happen.
View Quote
Not so.  When light traveling in a vacuum enters a new transparent medium, such as air, water, or glass, the speed is reduced in proportion to the refractive index of the new material.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 12:31:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And wild yeast will leaven bread nine times out of ten just fine, if you get distracted after making dough, for a few hours. All it would have taken is for some woman to get the idea to mix up the matzah dough for tomorrow to save time, and next day, hey! it's all fluffy now! Hmmm!
View Quote
However, wild yeast will screw up beer and wine.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 12:34:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

that's cause the dog dosnet know what "color" is (or care).... and how do you know what blue is?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

People who have had their natural lenses replaced with artificial ones can see up into ultraviolet - frequencies of light that natural lenses are opaque to, but that the retina can detect.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
People who have had their natural lenses replaced with artificial ones can see up into ultraviolet - frequencies of light that natural lenses are opaque to, but that the retina can detect.
View Quote
Hmmmm.  Is this accurate?  I always thought that we simply didn't have the receptors.  Never considered that the lens was filtering out the UV.
I'm eventually gonna need new lenses - minor cataracts around the edges - and I'll remember to ask about this on my next visit to the eye-doc.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 12:48:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you live in a Belgian monastery.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top