Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 2:17:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't usually HAVE customer service issues in prison, as NONE of our "customers" really want to be here, but we had a few, especially dealing with the public.
I got a call from a member of the pubic one night, about 3AM, and my officer passed it through. He was looking for an inmate. Well, that's no problem, did you look on our public website with the inmate finder? No. Well, let me run through my spiel - "Per policy and law I cannot give out any information about any inmate who may or may not be in the care and custody of our system at this time," and explained that this is because I cannot verify who HE is, because inmates have enemies too. Oh, that's no problem, she's my girlfriend.
Oh, really? Um, sir, this is a MALE institution. That doesn't matter, she went to {city} and that's where you are! Um, sir there are two state complexes, three private prisons, ICE detention and county lockup, are you SURE she is here, considering we do not take female inmates? Yes, you are holding her, and I need to contact her right now! OK, sir, do you know her inmate number?  Him - she doesn't HAVA a number, she's a self surrender today, and they gave her SIX DAYS!!!
"...let me get you with county lockup, hold please."
We won't go into all the weirdness IN the prison - you would never, ever believe me. Seriously. We could write it in a book and they would put it in the fiction section.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 3:50:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I witnessed this at CVS waiting for my prescription.

Older lady trying to get refill on prescription. Well whatever it was was a controlled prescription and had no refills left.

Pharmacist told her she needed to contact her doctor and have them send the updated prescription and then they could fill it.

Then she wanted to talk to the manager and wanted them to explain why they can't fill her prescription.

Then she's like I'm never coming back here again. Pharmacist was like fine by me.

They repeatedly told her they couldn't fill it and if they did they'd be breaking the law doing so, unless her doctor sent the updated prescription. She didn't comprehend at all.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 3:57:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Customer bought a Japanese DBZ video game. I mean Japanese, localized for Japan, All case text in Japanese kanji, price sticker in yen. Paid extra because it was the genuine Japanese version. Customer also bought the converter required to play the game on an American console.

Next day, having torn the Japanese packaging all to shit, came back and demanded a refund. Complained that he couldn't play the game because.... wait for it.... it was in Japanese.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 6:45:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kinda fits in.  Installed conduit / wire on a big residential remodel.  I rec'd some money along the way and then the customer calls to say, "We cannot pay you to finish.  We just added up how much we have spent so far and we are broke.  A friend from work said he would finish the electric for free"

Hmmm.  "Okay, sorry to hear that.  I need 2K to make me whole"

"We don't owe you that"

"Yes, you do.  Your electrician has a week to attach his name to the project and then I will remove mine".  Of course the guy didn't but I did so the city slapped a STOP WORK order on the front door.  I filed my mechanic's lien, and waited.  Short time after I receive a letter from a lawyer saying my work was incorrect and I had damaged his customer's standing with the city  My response, "I was hired to supply labor and materials and I have not been paid in full"

A year later the male homeowner calls, friendly as can be, said he went to refi and my lien popped up and he needed it removed.

"No problem, send me a check for 2K and I'll remove it"

"We don't owe you that, I'm putting my wife on the phone"  Her first words, "I'M CALLING MY LAWYER AND TELLING HIM YOU ARE BADGERING US"  Um, you called me nutjob

She offered 100 dollars, I laughed, and countered with 1K, she agreed.  Title company calls, need a lien waiver, I drive over, hand over my waiver, ask for my check, girl says they have to clear title first before I get a check, I snatched my waiver back and walked out.  Title company calls again, I drive over, ask for a check, girl says they have to clear title first, so I said, "Don't call me again unless you have a check because I will not come back again" and walked out

Title company calls, I drive over, exchange check for waiver, drive straight to bank to deposit.  Few hours later title company calls saying I didn't sign the waiver.

"Oh, I didn't?  My bad.  I cannot make it over today, maybe tomorrow."  Tomorrow turned into two weeks.  Female customer calls screaming about how she had to take out a bridge loan, I'm costing her money.

"Well, now you know how it feels to be f'd over"
View Quote

Fuck em.

Its amazing the people who can't labor devalue it.

That goes for all you fuckers who think sitting behind a desk and pushing numbers around in a computer or making phone calls is a more worthy calling.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Is Barrett still like that?

I have also heard a story on here some guy called from a war zone to customer service mid fire fight and some dude helped him out
View Quote

Not sure if it’s still like that. I know they did have high turnover in the machine shop for some time. Won’t say why here.

Yes, that story is true. Don, the warranty/service guy took the call. The rifle wouldn’t fire when the trigger was pulled. The mainspring housing in the lower receiver can have the ears bend up just. Touch too much to allow the carrier to lift too much and not trip the sear/firing pin extension. He told them to remove the upper off the rifle, bend the ears down a little at a time to allow the carrier to stop lifting too far up. They were back in the fight in just 2 or 3 minutes.
Don got quite a bit of recognition over that.
Worked with him for quite a few years when I was there. Great guy. He had been in the Marine Corps for around 18 years I believe it was.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It makes a hell of a racket when you put it on a metal procedure tray while it's still running.

It is almost mesmerizing how it dances around while making the same sound that two fitfully of quarter make when ran through a dryer.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/capReference-550.jpg

I have done numerous service calls to push in a GFCI, and bill $80 or $160 (weekend and holiday) for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ok!  In another life I fixed copiers.  One day I got sent to a customer who was hoppin mad because his copier was jamming.  I found a shitload of wadded-up plastic film in the fuser (the hot part that melts the toner into the paper).

Someone had been trying to make transparencies with saran wrap. Was even able to recover a partial document.   Customer went from irate to apologetic in about 2 seconds.

Wait wait wait...you were actually a..Copier Repairman?

I have done numerous service calls to push in a GFCI, and bill $80 or $160 (weekend and holiday) for it.

Well, if you live in a modern home, certain things you should know.  They should pay, makes the lesson stick ( hopefully)
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OH This was a bizarre one.

Go into a customer's home and he said "When you are done, come back into my office and I will pay you."

Do as instructed... walk into his office and he had probably 25 pictures of Terry Garr across his office. I figured since it was Hollywood, he may have been an agent or manager. I asked him "Fan of Terry Garr?" hoping to hear "Oh no I am her manager"

No.

He says "I LOVE Terry Garr" (odd few seconds of silence) "AND SHE LOVES ME!"

"OK COOL! Please sign here and I am out!"

Fast forward 15 years or so and I get a customer with the last name of "Garr" I said "Oh like the actress" he said "Yeah that's my sister" showed me pics of them, cool guy. Told him the story and he wasnt even shocked. He said "Oh you should see the letters she used to get... real whackos"
View Quote

Thats a thread right there.  Nutjob/stalkers stories
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:23:28 AM EDT
[#9]
i deal with a lot of customers who think they know how to do my job and my installers jobs.

they saw it on HGTV and talked to a guy at Home Depot so they are professionals.

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#10]
While working as a criminal defense attorney, we could get assigned criminal cases by the court to handle.  I got a client arrested for burglary.  He broke into his aunt's house and stole things.  They knew it was him because for some reason the genius brought a briefcase full of hotel soaps and shampoos with his name stenciled on each one with a label maker. Hard to argue that case!

While a teen working at Walmart and when camera film was still used, I was working the electronics section.  A woman came in with film to be developed.  But the film had an issue in her camera and would not wind back into the casing, so she put the camera in a bag with some knitting to take it all out and brought it into the store.  She wanted a "special bag" to put the film in to protect it from exposure.  We didn't have such a thing and I couldn't get her to understand that it was already exposed and too late.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Had security that ran the front gate at one of our duty stations, one morning I get a call from them to come out as there’s a problem.
I get there and they have two guys from a construction company that was doing some work in a pick up just sitting there waiting to come in, problem is they’re smoking a joint while waiting to access a government facility.
Cuffed them up and turned them over to the local LEOs who found a big old bag of pot needles under the seat.

View Quote

Not up on all the drug stuff but what the hell is a "pot needle"?!?
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Another while practicing law.  Had a black woman client who had been arrested for check forgery, bad checks.  She was arrested, spent several days in jail before being able to bond out and subsequently lost her job.  

The police must have been the bottom of the barrel when it came to the evidence or never even looked at it.  There was video from the store of the whole transaction showing the ID and person forging the check and the grocery store employee.  It was a white guy doing it using a black woman's ID.  All completely clear in the video.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Do they tell stories about shirking jury duty?
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Even more police fun was the client who had his raided by SWAT who were showboating for a filming of an episode of COPS.  Blew the doors off the house, blew out the windows, set part of the house on fire, tear gas, the whole enchilada.

Well, no one was home, and it was the wrong house, should have been the next street over.  City didn't feel like they should have to pay for the damages.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Worked my way through school on a survey crew.

Got a request for a residential survey, went out did all our research, measurements and set 3 corner pins at the back of the lot that had been lost over the years to the plow.  

It’s not uncommon for farmers to take an extra row each year and many people who have lots that back up to a farm field will own out into the plowed area without realizing it.

Got a call from the property owner a couple weeks later that we messed up the survey… the corner pins were way out in the farmers field so he moved them back onto his property… that was a fun discussion and even funner when we explained resetting the pins would be an additional fee.

Only perk if that job was all the crazy stuff we found on the side of the road or when metal detecting for property corners.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Got a request for a residential survey, went out did all our research, measurements and set 3 corner pins at the back of the lot that had been lost over the years to the plow.  

It’s not uncommon for farmers to take an extra row each year and many people who have lots that back up to a farm field will own out into the plowed area without realizing it.

Got a call from the property owner a couple weeks later that we messed up the survey… the corner pins were way out in the farmers field so he moved them back onto his property… that was a fun discussion and even funner when we explained resetting the pins would be an additional fee.

Only perk if that job was all the crazy stuff we found on the side of the road or when metal detecting for property corners.
View Quote

When I was a kid we had a survey done on our property while we were in the process of selling it. The back of the property was adjacent to a hay field/cow pasture. At some point the farmer had installed an electric fence, which curved in along our line (property line was supposed to be straight from corner to corner along that back line). Lazy ass surveyor just tied flagging tape to the existing fenceline instead of doing his job, resulting in the surveyed acreage being significantly less than advertised and the potential buyer backing out of the sale. We had to get it resurveyed by somebody who didn't suck, which revealed the fence encroached on our property by several feet for most of its length. I don't remember what the resolution was with the farmer, but I do remember my dad being incredibly pissed off about it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Back in the last century I ran IT for a company that did third party testing for major IT manufacturers before products were released in the US.  Lots of the usual IT stories, except not customers, just stupid employees. But the most unique was a project for a major European manufacturer who wanted to break into the US market.

They sent us what were basically breadboard prototypes of two computer systems.  The testing contract, for some reason, required at least one PhD CompSci guy on the team for no apparent reason (vendor was German. Germans like rules).  There really wasn't anything for this person to do, so the COO went cheap and hired a fresh out of school in India PhD who was related to one of our existing staff.

PhD walks into the lab one day, picks up a circuit probe, looks inside the box, sticks probe in and shorts the board.  "I always wondered what would happen if you did that."

I got to explain the failure to a very angry German engineer on a phone call to Germany. Not fun.  Had to bar the guy from the lab.

Different project, for a product a lot of you older guys probably used.  Had to do with the operating temperature of a system and how warm the environment could get before they would fail. But they wanted it done in "a standard office environment" so we had to set up a fake office space (4 cubicles) and control the environment to that the temperature would stay over 117F. I put up a sign on the door that said "Testing in progress. Keep Out. Violators will be defenestrated."  We monitored the room and systems remotely.  But for two weeks, at least once an hour, someone would come to my office to ask what "defenestrated" meant.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#19]
We had a (cosmetic) surgeon who thought there was gasoline inside a piece of medical equipment when we were explaining the various equipment and features to her during an install.

"This is the vaporizer. It produces the anesthetic gas."
"Wait. There's gasoline in there? It's not going to blow-up is it?"

She was completely serious and concerned.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
...............She was an older lady , obviously computers were something she never had to deal with in her 60 years......................
View Quote

Damn children
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Decades ago, when I was a cashier at Kroger, a 50-ish woman came to the line with nothing more than an empty chocolate candy wrapper that she had already eaten the contents of.  I scanned the wrapper, and it came to $1.00.

She exclaimed, "$1.00?  I thought it was 50 cents!  I'm not paying that!"  And she walked out of the store.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Another while practicing law.  Had a black woman client who had been arrested for check forgery, bad checks.  She was arrested, spent several days in jail before being able to bond out and subsequently lost her job.  

The police must have been the bottom of the barrel when it came to the evidence or never even looked at it.  There was video from the store of the whole transaction showing the ID and person forging the check and the grocery store employee.  It was a white guy doing it using a black woman's ID.  All completely clear in the video.
View Quote

Well holy crap, did the woman get paid for that blunder?
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's so shit.  Was she able to get her job back?
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

When I was a kid we had a survey done on our property while we were in the process of selling it. The back of the property was adjacent to a hay field/cow pasture. At some point the farmer had installed an electric fence, which curved in along our line (property line was supposed to be straight from corner to corner along that back line). Lazy ass surveyor just tied flagging tape to the existing fenceline instead of doing his job, resulting in the surveyed acreage being significantly less than advertised and the potential buyer backing out of the sale. We had to get it resurveyed by somebody who didn't suck, which revealed the fence encroached on our property by several feet for most of its length. I don't remember what the resolution was with the farmer, but I do remember my dad being incredibly pissed off about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your property backs up to a plowed field I highly recommend “guarding” your property line with posts… preferably something that will damage the plow if they hit it lol.

At the time I was surveying we were transitioning from line of sight to gps surveys. Line of sight uses a laser to measure distance to a hundredth of an inch. Had property owner run over to us concerned the laser would burn holes in his siding…
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Unfortunately, I don't know the final outcome as I was an associate in a small, totally messed up little firm at the time and left before resolution.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:  Back in the last century I ran IT for a company that did third party testing for major IT manufacturers before products were released in the US.  Lots of the usual IT stories, except not customers, just stupid employees. But the most unique was a project for a major European manufacturer who wanted to break into the US market.

They sent us what were basically breadboard prototypes of two computer systems.  The testing contract, for some reason, required at least one PhD CompSci guy on the team for no apparent reason (vendor was German. Germans like rules).  There really wasn't anything for this person to do, so the COO went cheap and hired a fresh out of school in India PhD who was related to one of our existing staff.

PhD walks into the lab one day, picks up a circuit probe, looks inside the box, sticks probe in and shorts the board.  "I always wondered what would happen if you did that."

I got to explain the failure to a very angry German engineer on a phone call to Germany. Not fun.  Had to bar the guy from the lab.

Different project, for a product a lot of you older guys probably used.  Had to do with the operating temperature of a system and how warm the environment could get before they would fail. But they wanted it done in "a standard office environment" so we had to set up a fake office space (4 cubicles) and control the environment to that the temperature would stay over 117F. I put up a sign on the door that said "Testing in progress. Keep Out. Violators will be defenestrated."  We monitored the room and systems remotely.  But for two weeks, at least once an hour, someone would come to my office to ask what "defenestrated" meant.
View Quote

Did you demonstrate?

When you’re about to defenestrate French...
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

It was a single floor industrial park style building.  Wasn't much of a threat.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Did you demonstrate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfEORP5pbCo

No, but now I want a sign:

Persons who ask what Defenestration is will be defenestrated.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Ok, so you want to live? Stop smoking, drinking, eating excessively, and doing drugs. Get healthy so I don't see you again."

1 month later...

"You are still drinking,  smoking, your U-tox is basically registered with the DEA, you gained weight, and you couldn't afford medication because you had no money left from your habits."

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ok, so you want to live? Stop smoking, drinking, eating excessively, and doing drugs. Get healthy so I don't see you again."

1 month later...

"You are still drinking,  smoking, your U-tox is basically registered with the DEA, you gained weight, and you couldn't afford medication because you had no money left from your habits."

View Quote

Bruh. Lmao.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Many many years ago, I did support for server backup software.

Had someone call in to start a DR restore, their file server had a drive failure. He was having problems as he couldn't select a backup to restore from.

I looked and they had never had a single successful backup.

The backup set included files quarantined by their antivirus, which caused the backup to fail.

The quarantined files turned out to be torrents that someone had downloaded, including porn.

They had configured their backup failure emails to go to an invalid email address. It was something like [email protected], clearly intentionally a bad email address because someone was sick of getting failure notices every day.

So they had lost everything, because someone used the company file server to back up their pirated music and porn, and the person responsible for the backups was annoyed by the failure notices and essentially turned them off.

Porn in backups was something that came up every few months. I half remember a similar story to this one with saved porn links somehow causing backup failures.
View Quote

I can go on all day about stuff like this, but this is one of the best.

One of our client's backup has been failing. Called IT and told him we need to switch tapes so we can run some tests. It tells me they're backing up to another agency and "Elon" (one of my co-workers. Yes, this is not his real name) set it up and I should check with him. I do. Elon says he has no idea what he's talking about. I call back and tell him this. He still thinks I'm nuts but promises to change the tape. Backup returns to working, so I assume he knows what's up.

End up talking to him about backups in some capacity twice more. Both times he mentions the backup to another agency that I KNOW isn't happening and I tell him it isn't happening. Both time tells me Elon will set me straight and I should talk to him. Elon say on no uncertain terms that he's set nothing of the sort up. I tell the IT guy this and he seems to understand.

Finally IT calls. Server crashed. Isn't coming back. Attempts to fix it fail. It's dead. Tell him to take the tape out of the drive and take it to another agency, where we can restore the data. He balks and mentions the "backup" to another agency's server. The same one he keeps insisting exits, even though we KEEP telling him that's not the case. They haven't changed the tape in three years. FUCK!

Tell him to retrieve the tape anyways and we'll take a look at it, but I KNOW it toast. You can't run them three years straight and have them still work. I'll be damned if it didn't, though. Got everything back, against all odds. Luckier then he deserved.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Just a quick couple from the gun shop days.

First, customer comes in, asks if we take trades. I say sure, but the quality has to be at least 90%. He says no problem, goes to get it. He's trying to trade a Ruger Red Label over/under. Fairly nice shotguns back then. Brings in a soft case, opens it up, and the ENTIRE shotgun is covered in surface rust, like mold grew over it.

Dipshit with his trailer park punching bag and accompanying crotch fruit comes in not long before closing, and wants to buy an 870. First thing he does is flag me with it when I hand him a sample gun. Told him which direction to point it in, and he decides to then flag customers in other parts of the store. Oh great, and I smell alcohol.

He said he'd take it, and I said "nope". He got really pissed when I refused the sale due to safety and his being drunk. He insists on talking to the manager. I gave my side, and he told the idiot that if he didn't leave right now, he'd have him trespassed.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Complaint that they built the Alamo in the middle of downtown.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Not a customer but the guy who owned our house before us apparently located studs in the garage and one bathroom by drilling a horizontal series of holes about an inch apart until he hit wood. At least 8 different times. And used a half inch bit for several.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Best service call ever.

One of my salesmen calls on a Friday afternoon, hey I need a favor.  Sure, what's up?

I know this isn't your kind of system, but I need a 50 foot RS-232 cable run across the ceiling at this bar to get their bar printer up.  They're already open & having problems, this has happened before, a new cable'll fix it.

No problem, I swing by the office, pin together a 50 RS-232 cable, head down to this bar.

I am up on a ladder, 5 o'clock on a Friday in a topless bar, running a serial cable across the ceiling, trying not to fall off the ladder every time I look down and see SugarTits gyrating on stage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  not going to do it

appreciate all my customers even the difficult ones

the only bad ones are the ones that don't pay and you have to go do collections on

Best service call ever.

One of my salesmen calls on a Friday afternoon, hey I need a favor.  Sure, what's up?

I know this isn't your kind of system, but I need a 50 foot RS-232 cable run across the ceiling at this bar to get their bar printer up.  They're already open & having problems, this has happened before, a new cable'll fix it.

No problem, I swing by the office, pin together a 50 RS-232 cable, head down to this bar.

I am up on a ladder, 5 o'clock on a Friday in a topless bar, running a serial cable across the ceiling, trying not to fall off the ladder every time I look down and see SugarTits gyrating on stage.

That brought back a memory.  Installed a couple of dedicated circuits (electrician) for an A/V guy who was working in the home of a stock broker who had recently divorced and was fixing up his new bachelor pad.  Lots of very expensive equipment being installed.

Saturday late afternoon A/V guy calls, saying he lost half of the power to the new system.  

"Did you make sure a circuit breaker isn't tripped?"

"YES YES, THIS GUY IS HAVING A PARTY TONIGHT AND I NEED THIS WORKING.  YOU NEED TO COME RIGHT AWAY!!!"

"Okay, but it will be on overtime"

So I drive over an hour into chicago, walk into the garage, open the electrical panel cover, sure enough breaker is tripped.  Reset the breaker and find A/V guy to let him know.  Sure enough he's embarrassed.  He wanted me to help him check the TV above the fireplace on the first floor.  The hearth in front of the fireplace prevented a ladder from being properly set so I am holding his ladder.

Did I mention this party included three strippers?  So while I am focused on holding this ladder one of the girls decides this is the perfect time to grab my junk from behind.  She reached between my legs and ever so graciously cupped my junk.  The guys at the party got a big kick out of that.

Collected my service charge money and left.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well, if you live in a modern home, certain things you should know.  They should pay, makes the lesson stick ( hopefully)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ok!  In another life I fixed copiers.  One day I got sent to a customer who was hoppin mad because his copier was jamming.  I found a shitload of wadded-up plastic film in the fuser (the hot part that melts the toner into the paper).

Someone had been trying to make transparencies with saran wrap. Was even able to recover a partial document.   Customer went from irate to apologetic in about 2 seconds.

Wait wait wait...you were actually a..Copier Repairman?

When residential customers call I will give them a few minutes of my time and some suggestions to try before paying me to drive over.  I have had a few that simply required the person to push in the RESET button a GFCI.  Yes I don't make money doing this but the customer will remember me for future projects.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I help with a gun shop on weekends.

It's insane what you see.

Scopes mounted sideways, backwards, 2 different height mounts. Bent scopes broken crosshairs customer still wants zeroed.

Guns so dirty you would have sworn they were covered in Mtn. Dew then left in a dog bed for a year.

People bringing in their "Sniper Rifle that will hit a dime at 100 yards" that then get angry because you can't get their Rossi 30-06 with a $35 20 year old Tasco scope with $5 Amazon aluminum putty rings to hit paper let alone zeroed.

The best one although not at our shop a customer drilled and tapped his Mosin Nagant for a scope and drilled through the barrel all the way into the chamber.

First shot blew the mount and scope up into an upside down rainbow shape but thankfully the back ring held and kept it from hitting him in the eye!
View Quote

Preach!

Customer asks for rifle to be boresighted. I boresight the rifle. I explain that this rifle is not zeroed and he needs to zero prior to hunting. A month or so later, customer returns to the shop, super pissed off. He missed the deer of a lifetime. He says it's my fault. I ask just how it's my fault. He says I didn't sight in his rifle correctly.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Complaint that they built the Alamo in the middle of downtown.
View Quote

I've overheard that on the Riverwalk a few times. One loud Karen was bitching that the Alamo in downtown San Antonio was fake, they just built it downtown to scam tourist dollars. All this while she's sitting in one of the outdoor dining areas on the Riverwalk drinking a large Margarita. THe wife and I happened to be sitting in the same dining area.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've worked in customer service, customer service management, security, security training, security management, sales, firearms instruction, truck driver, firearms retail, firearms retail management, IT customer service, IT project management, and now IT management.
Humans are incredibly fallable, myself included.
Too many stories...
People are stupid and try to hide their ignorance behind "I know the problem and why it's your fault" instead of being forthcoming with the issue.
Pride cometh before the smackdown in a meeting...
View Quote

Another one from this morning. Same customer that sent me a power of attorney from another broker that I mentioned yesterday. I get the commercial invoice and packing list for their shipment this morning. No product description. Just part number and the like. The airway bill just says floor covering. The HS code on the invoice is 8 instead of the 10 digits the US uses (shipment from India). HS code only matches for the first 6 digits to US tariff. Someone from India who is at the customer on this side and proceeds to argue with me. He doesn’t get that floor covering is not a sufficiently clear description and that the HS code on the invoice is invalid.

After a few minutes, I just decided to treat him like a retarded two year old and started over. Guy finally tells me the floor covering is some sort of tile. Doesn’t understand that you have to have a better description for customs purposes. He hung up on me.

A few minutes later I get an email that we’re not clearing the shipment.

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
not going to do it

appreciate all my customers even the difficult ones

the only bad ones are the ones that don't pay and you have to go do collections on
View Quote

You must not run into too many stupid ones.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Been reading your fb posts.

My biggest WTF was a guy buying a soda for 68 cents, and paying with a credit card.  Price of the soda should say it all......
View Quote

MisterPX

I don’t remember your real name.

Lots of friends are highly amused by my work stories.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Gun shop.
There were so many !

But..30-06 thru the roof and chamber loaded baby browning pointed at my chest with a click are top tier.
My gun doesn’t..bang and my gun is broken..click. Just lucky I guess.
We endeavor to get to the guns being uncased first and ask to do it ourselves but some people .. ?
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oof. What happened to the victim?
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Gun shop.
There were so many !

But..30-06 thru the roof and chamber loaded baby browning pointed at my chest with a click are top tier.
My gun doesn't..bang and my gun is broken..click. Just lucky I guess.
We endeavor to get to the guns being uncased first and ask to do it ourselves but some people .. ?
View Quote

Your story reminded me of both a stupid customer, and coworker. I've told this one here before.

Coworker is dumber than a box of rocks. We didn't like him, but management didn't have enough cause to shitcan him. Well, one day I go to lunch. The break room is directly across from the gun counter. I just sit down and take a bite, and I hear a gun go off. First thought I have is "this dumb sumbitch just killed himself".

I race out of the break room, and I see a stunned dipshit standing behind the counter, and two customers on the other side. I asked what the hell happened, and dipshit coworker turns right towards me, holding a compact Glock in his hand, with his finger on the trigger, and points it right at my gut. I slapped his hand away and took the pistol from him.

Customer was a corrections officer who came in to get a holster for his new pistol. Idiot CO takes it out of the holster he has, and sets it on the counter. Dipshit coworker picks the pistol up, gets a feel for the weight while sighting it down the length of the store. Then decides to pull the fucking trigger. He missed another coworker by less than 6 feet.

I told the manager that either he left right then, or I was. The really scary part? He later went to the gunsmithing school in Trinidad.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Not really dipshit level but....

Lady calls, says her husband (lawyer) replaced the pull chain light in their son's closet but it doesn't work.  Now, it's very simple to replace this type of light fixture, two wire splices, two screws and a WORKING light bulb.  That bolded part is key.

"Did you try a new bulb?"

"Yes, brand new bulb"

"Hmmm, okay, on my way"

Walk in, set up my ladder, climb up, unscrew the CLEAR light bulb, look at the BROKEN filament, hand it to the customer and ask for another bulb.  

I got paid to change a light bulb.  Husband was a bit embarrassed.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Just know that there are people in this world who are incapable of closing their mouth normally when asked.  They will stick out their chin, push their jaw off to the side and stick their chin out farther when you tell them not to.    It's actually quite common.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The person who was swapping parts off of one car to another,  but spilled gas and it got all over their shoe.   So they walked 20 feet away and lit his shoe on fire to "burn off the gas".  

But they didn't notice the trail of gas he left.  

They managed to burn both vehicles and the exterior of his apartment complex.

Or the person that stuffed jumbo stick pretzels up their ass and cooch and parked in the fast lane of the interstate.

View Quote

I was doing some work with a pork company and heard a terrible story. A welder was doing repairs on a sow farm and was the only one there. Something happened to his generator, so he siphoned the gas off into a 5 gal bucket to work on the generator. Once it was fixed, he started welding again and threw a spark in the bucket.

His response to a flaming bucket of gas was to stand directly over it and fire an extinguisher straight down. It just sprayed fireballs all over the farm. The whole thing burned down, full of screaming pigs.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Guy(a known Goober) comes in and buys a rear tire for his Yamaha RZ350. Gonna put it on himself.

He comes in with the bike a couple of hours later, screaming about the defective tire we sold him. So imbalanced that it barely stays on the road

or something like that. We take it to the back and break it down. Inside the tire is an 8" shorty tire iron.

Another one comes in with a Kaw 750 Twin. This thing is blowing oil everywhere. It leaked in places I didn't know it had.

Turns out his neighbor 'helped' him change his oil and did like 'yer s'posed to', filled it to the bottom thread in the filler hole,

like a lawnmower. It was almost 4 quarts overfilled.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top