User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 1:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anyone else you think is OK to kill because they delay your day?  

You are the reason there are red flag laws.  Learn to control your emotions like an adult
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 3:26:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Are you serious?  Speed limit 45
Go around a blind corner hit a douche in the rd going 20 on a bicycle.   I'm sure you're a great rider and smart staying well to the right. But defending Cyclist is like me defending vehicle drivers. I wouldn't do that  because people are stupid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you hit a bike in the middle of the road or going around a blind corner, then you were going too fast and/or not using the proper amount of caution.

So yep, still your fault.

Are you serious?  Speed limit 45
Go around a blind corner hit a douche in the rd going 20 on a bicycle.   I'm sure you're a great rider and smart staying well to the right. But defending Cyclist is like me defending vehicle drivers. I wouldn't do that  because people are stupid.

Posted sign is a maximum speed. Out driving your visibility & reaction time is unsafe for the conditions & you’re at fault when you hit the slow moving truck/tractor/cow/cyclist/etc.

I don’t live in a pancake flat part of the state. .
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 3:28:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

A heavier bike that is more difficult to pedal results in a better workout.
View Quote

It results in frustration more than anything.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 3:41:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Of only someone would invent a "stationary bicycle" that fitness enthusiasts could peddle their asses off in the comfort of their own homes instead of risking life and limb riding on roadways designed for much larger and faster motor vehicles.
If only
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 3:45:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Starting at 45 years old I did five rides of a hundred miles or a bit more, in the Texas sun.

How many century rides have you done OP?
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have road and raced MTBs for 30 years. Never owned a road bike. I did train on the road on a mountain bike when trails are closed. With a MTB I could actually ride it on the shoulder and stay way out of traffic, I never slowed anyone down because I was out of the road.

Why do they need the lightest most effecient bike to become fit? Seems counter productive if fitness is your goal.
View Quote

You can go further and faster, which is more fun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Your logic is undeniable
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is pretty awesome!  I give credit where credit is due.

Most who claim they do it for fitness are being dishonest though.  Else they wouldn’t buy light carbon fiber bikes, etc and all of the high tech gear.  A heavier bike that is more difficult to pedal results in a better workout.

Your logic is undeniable

Yea, except for that whole aerobic training/vs muscle building part.    In all seriousness, it's also boring going 20mph on road trails when you can do mid 30's and explore way more ground (on pavement of course).  The logic is wrong.  It's the same idea as running with weight vs without; you can run a shorter or the same distance with weight while messing up joints and gaining minimal aerobic capacity because you are in a much higher hr zone, or your can run easier and longer at a lower rate, have minimal ramifications on joints, and build aerobic capacity.  But training is for fags, so who cares, right?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#9]
The spandex cuts wind resistance, reduces chafing, helps evaporate sweat, dries quickly if caught in the rain, and forces OP to confront his closet door.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yea, except for that whole aerobic training/vs muscle building part.    In all seriousness, it's also boring going 20mph on road trails when you can do mid 30's and explore way more ground (on pavement of course).  The logic is wrong.  It's the same idea as running with weight vs without; you can run a shorter or the same distance with weight while messing up joints and gaining minimal aerobic capacity because you are in a much higher hr zone, or your can run easier and longer at a lower rate, have minimal ramifications on joints, and build aerobic capacity.  But training is for fags, so who cares, right?
View Quote

Also, people like good components and it doesn't make sense to get an inexpensive bike, then swap out the components.

Plus, there isn't that much difference in the weight of a lower tier model and a higher tier model so you might as well just get the frame that comes with the nice components.

If people are suggesting that a heavy Walmart bike is the same as a real bike except for the weight, it's because they have never ridden a bike, and likely don't exercise at all.

That's why they jelly.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Also, people like good components and it doesn't make sense to get an inexpensive bike, then swap out the components.

Plus, there isn't that much difference in the weight of a lower tier model and a higher tier model so you might as well just get the frame that comes with the nice components.

If people are suggesting that a heavy Walmart bike is the same as a real bike except for the weight, it's because they have never ridden a bike, and likely don't exercise at all.

That's why they jelly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why they jelly.

A couple years ago, electronic s shifting changed my bike life.  I’ll never go back.  Obviously not needed from the pure fitness aspect, but I still like it that much more.

And I still continue to get looks from other bikers while in my hunting gear riding this bike.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A couple years ago, electronic s shifting changed my bike life.  I'll never go back.  Obviously not needed from the pure fitness aspect, but I still like it that much more.

https://i.postimg.cc/YqdGDXvD/IMG-0166.jpg

And I still continue to get looks from other bikers while in my hunting gear riding this bike.
View Quote

Wow!

I can't ride like a real cyclist anymore, but I still enjoy it. This is my latest acquisition, it folds! I got it to take downtown so I could park where it's free but I like just riding it around.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Congrats on the 1/2 Century.  Come up to Iowa in July and you can spend a week riding across the state, about 500+ miles if you do the Century day.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/374309/Ragbrai_2023_jpg-3064053.JPG
View Quote

@Tactical_Spartan

You mean like this?

I did 547 miles this year total, including riding to camp site, around the sleepover towns, etc. It was a great week. I plan on Bikepacking RAGBRAI LIII.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A couple years ago, electronic s shifting changed my bike life.  I’ll never go back.  Obviously not needed from the pure fitness aspect, but I still like it that much more.

View Quote

I coincidentally just watched Lachlan Morton's documentary on his Great Divide ride. His AXS rear derailleur quit working with a few days left, so he mostly* had to single speed his way to the Mexican border (* was able to use a spare spoke to wedge his derailleur into a few high gears so he wouldn't be spun out for hours one end). SMH at the insistence to choose batteries/electronics over a cable for that challenge.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I coincidentally just watched Lachlan Morton's documentary on his Great Divide ride. His AXS rear derailleur quit working with a few days left, so he mostly* had to single speed his way to the Mexican border (* was able to use a spare spoke to wedge his derailleur into a few high gears so he wouldn't be spun out for hours one end). SMH at the insistence to choose batteries/electronics over a cable for that challenge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IF it were to battery related, the nice thing with the red axs is he could just switch the batteries from the front derailleur to the rear, now understanding that would cost him a couple seconds, but still would have been worth doing in hindsight. Obviously not battery related though since they would presumably be on top of that.  If the battery dies with Di2, you're stuck with single speed as well.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@Tactical_Spartan

You mean like this?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/1000008649-3068399.jpg

I did 547 miles this year total, including riding to camp site, around the sleepover towns, etc. It was a great week. I plan on Bikepacking RAGBRAI LIII.
View Quote

@-Obsessed-

Been there done that.  Last year was a scorcher, haven't sweat like that in a long time, felt like a human water filter.  The farm house with free water and cookies just before the turn off for the century loop was a life saver.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/25/2023 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A couple years ago, electronic s shifting changed my bike life.  I'll never go back.  Obviously not needed from the pure fitness aspect, but I still like it that much more.

I've been running AXS rear ders on 2 MTBs and a Gravel bike for almost 3 years now and all 3 see a lot of rain, mud, limestone muck, etc.  The MTB ders have been bashed into a few trees, boulders and other features as well.  Zero issues so far.

I'm actually surprised how well they've held up.  I've destroyed a few cable ders in my time so nothing is immune to failure.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@-Obsessed-

Been there done that.  Last year was a scorcher, haven't sweat like that in a long time, felt like a human water filter.  The farm house with free water and cookies just before the turn off for the century loop was a life saver.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/374309/Day_3_png-3070864.JPG

View Quote

Nicely done! You got out nice and early! Im not a morning person and if you don't beat the morning rush the baggage line is insane.  I plan on doing RAGBRAI again in 2026 (most likely) and will Bikepack this next go around to avoid that and to keep the adventure fresh.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Left a local restaurant last night and a woman on a bike pulls in front of me as I was leaving a parking lot.
She blew the 1st innersection (red light). Rolled up behind her to watch her do the same at a 5 way stop and she did not make it.
She rode right thru it and never slowed down.

She either rode into a truck or it clipped her and spun her around.
As I passed by I rolled my window down and told her "nice job asswipe".

Just before that I told my wife these idiots rarely stop or yield to traffic signals or signs.
No lights on the bike, it's was dark and she had dark clothes on.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Roadies are some of the most hateful folks on 2 wheels. I tried the road bike thing to keep in shape for motorcycle racing but it was not for me. Blocking traffic and arrogant pricks ensured I stuck with mtn. bikes. Roadies are the worst of the 2 wheel community based on my experience and deserve all the grief they get.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Of only someone would invent a "stationary bicycle" that fitness enthusiasts could peddle their asses off in the comfort of their own homes instead of risking life and limb riding on roadways designed for much larger and faster motor vehicles.
If only
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nicely done! You got out nice and early! Im not a morning person and if you don't beat the morning rush the baggage line is insane.  I plan on doing RAGBRAI again in 2026 (most likely) and will Bikepack this next go around to avoid that and to keep the adventure fresh.
View Quote

Lucky enough to have a local club that sets up a charter every year so we don't have to mess with the RAGBRAI baggage trucks.  Not normally a morning guy either, but those heat warnings last year were a good motivator to get out and put some miles in early.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top