Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/20/2019 2:28:46 AM EDT

After reigning in the auto industry as the powertrain of choice for a century, the internal combustion engine is finally dying.

Now even Daimler says that it is stopping development of new internal combustion engines to focus on electric cars.

The German automaker whose namesake, Gottlieb Daimler, is credited for having invented the prototype of the modern gasoline engine recently released its latest generation internal combustion engine and it might be its last.

According to German magazine Auto Motor und Sport, Daimler development chief Markus Schaefer said that they currently have no plans to develop a next-generation combustion engine and they are focusing on new electric powertrains.
View Quote
It's interesting that all mid-higher end Merc AMG cars come with turbocharged V-6s and V-8's.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 2:41:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 2:42:25 AM EDT
[#2]
What a bunch of progressive idiots.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 3:00:05 AM EDT
[#3]
lol

Soon to be the next victims of "Get woke go broke".

Electric will eventually be the future but it isn't here yet and betting the farm that you'll make it viable in the next 5-10 years is a bold/retarded strategy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 3:02:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Colt Mfg reported on Fox Business Network earlier yesterday that they bought majority interest in Daimler Benz.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 3:06:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 3:20:49 AM EDT
[#6]
So says this development chief. And the next one will be brought in to take the company back to its roots to refocus of new gas engines, then the next chief will be brought in to usher in the future again. Rinse. Repeat.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 3:25:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Couple that with their latest SJW targeting sequence commercial and it's...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 3:39:57 AM EDT
[#8]
They might as well be focusing on unicorn farts. It is not the place of large organizations to force discovery. They should be using their budgets to refine technology and purchase or license others’ revolutionary innovations.

Batteries are heavy and carry far less energy by weight than combustible fuels.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 3:43:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Who cares. The world ends in 12 years anyhow right? Get working on those bucket lists boys.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Now I see why Chrysler broke up with them.

Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#11]
It could be that IC engines are just about as good as they can be without using insanely expensive materials.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:50:23 AM EDT
[#12]
All while Germany produces electricity by coal plants.

Fucking retards

Another reason to hate Mercedes
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
That doesn’t mean what you think it does . . . .
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:05:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I guess they figure the gasoline engine technologies they currently possess are adequate.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:06:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It could be that IC engines are just about as good as they can be without using insanely expensive materials.
View Quote
They have also spent multiple billions over the last 7-8 years doing R&D on their F1 engine program ultimately achieving over 50% thermal efficiency.

When they say, “we are stopping further development” it really means: Our current development projects encompass our next generation engine programs for the next 12-15 years. Further resources will now be spent on electric development for future deployment.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:07:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Either madness, or convergence, unfortunately no one here who is running their mouth is smart enough to tell the difference.

Let’s wait and see shall we?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:08:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Time to loose some money
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 7:08:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Mag-Lev.  Then a fan can push the car.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

When they say, “we are stopping further development” it really means: Our current development projects encompass our next generation engine programs for the next 12-15 years. Further resources will now be spent on electric development for future deployment.
View Quote
This
That little turbo 4 is the SHITS as far as development
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Fucking retards

View Quote
And this.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Gas turbines are the future.

Link Posted: 9/20/2019 8:46:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I guess they figure the gasoline engine technologies they currently possess are adequate.
View Quote
Using Tesla's recharging stations and working with the timetables, it takes you two weeks to cross the United States.

Tell me Mercedes, what got you to do that in 28 hours with an electric car? Because so far, only an internal combustion vehicle can do that.

MB is virtue signalling to their ignorant buyer base insulated from reality.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#24]
They should be focusing on hybrid electric powertrains not just pure Electric

That's a pretty dumb move
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#25]
golden parachute government bailout always a fall back
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Many European countries are straight up banning the sale of the ICE cars by 2030 so I imagine that plays a significant role in the decision.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Many European countries are straight up banning the sale of the ICE cars by 2030 so I imagine that plays a significant role in the decision.
View Quote
Most likely, Western Europe is nuts.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Using Tesla's recharging stations and working with the timetables, it takes you two weeks to cross the United States.

Tell me Mercedes, what got you to do that in 28 hours with an electric car? Because so far, only an internal combustion vehicle can do that.

View Quote
Complete and total BS
Here is a canonball run time in a Tesla for you.
Better time than a few ICE cars

I’ve done it in 2.75 days on a bit more leasurely route
The last half carrying 5 adults and luggage

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-ev-cannonball-run-record-video/amp/

2 weeks? You are woefully uneducated on the
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
This guy gets it. There is not enough juice left in the IC engine for the squeeze required to get it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:10:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They might as well be focusing on unicorn farts. It is not the place of large organizations to force discovery. They should be using their budgets to refine technology and purchase or license others' revolutionary innovations.

Batteries are heavy and carry far less energy by weight than combustible fuels.
View Quote
Not the first time a segment leader - really an entire industry has - has made a bad bet. But less about being woke than it is about being first in response to worldwide governmental dictates (esp WEurope as noted already) therefore gaining a market advantage. I'm sure MB will actively take advantage by Greenwashing.

Attachment Attached File

How soon peeps forget.

Big issue - worldwide production capacity. We'll see if forecasts for production, cost and density hold true. Even so, 70-80% of capacity will remain in China. Which is a consideration few concern themselves with.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:10:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Read my post above. They have spent billions and achieved over 50% thermal efficiency with hybrid electrics.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#34]
The manufacturers are giving up on cars and only making SUV's and trucks.  How is that battery system going to make it with heavier vehicles, towing, and long distance.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Fucking retards

View Quote
There are still villages that can be razed before Nord Stream 2 delivers them all the Russian LNG they need...
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe they know their buyer base, like the vast majority of people, never drive across the country,let alone need to do it in 28 hours. If they do need to do a Vanishing Point remake, they could take a different vehicle since most households have more than one anyway.

Or they could rely on existing ICE and hybrid technology which is pretty damn good already.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Complete and total BS
Here is a canonball run time in a Tesla for you.
Better time than a few ICE cars

I’ve done it in 2.75 days on a bit more leasurely route
The last half carrying 5 adults and luggage

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-ev-cannonball-run-record-video/amp/

2 weeks? You are woefully uneducated on the
View Quote
If only tesla would install more loud diesel-powered charging stations like they did at The Ring, everyone could do it faster!
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Mercedes' biggest problem is that their value/quality has dropped below all the Japanese manufacturers, Ford, and others.  The value of used Mercedes have dropped like rocks.  Maybe they figure a simple electric design will save the company.  But, I don't think they can compete with the Chinese in the electric car market.  Most likely, Daimler is on its last breaths.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The manufacturers are giving up on cars and only making SUV's and trucks.  How is that battery system going to make it with heavier vehicles, towing, and long distance.
View Quote
People don't realize but European market is roughly twice US (7.7M v14.6M in '16) "SUV's"  have seen the biggest gains over the last decade in both markets, but many are merely tall wagon based on car platforms. Still Mini, Small and Medium cars make up 2/3 of sales in Europe. Top selling vehicles in Europe are the Golf, Fiesta, Clio, Polo, 208, Yaris, Octavio, and CUVs like Tiguan and Qashqai. Models in China - about 20M, are even less premium. Japan's the next largest IIRC

Funny thing only 278k were Hybrid 190k Plug-in hybrid/full Batt  in Europe (about 350k/150k).

MB is a premium brand which insulates them some from general market trends, but Daimler is hoping to benefit from various forms of govt subsidation to make their vehicles more attractive. Real question is - where's the batteries for 40M cars. This ain't happening tomorrow - and likely never
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#40]
So when will the electric grid be updated to support all of these electric vehicles?  It sounds like the cart before the horse
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This guy gets it. There is not enough juice left in the IC engine for the squeeze required to get it.
View Quote
This.  And as someone who is an avid lover of musclecars, motorcycles, four wheelers, log splitters, and just about all things IC...electric -is- where things will be going.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#42]
This has been the case for roughly 3 years now with all Euro automakers.  They have all essentially abandoned development of all new IC engines.  Resources have shifted to electric.  Nobody wants to be left behind.  Believe me when I say the supply base manufacturing these engine components is freaking out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hybrid is the way to go. I know most of you laugh at the Prius, but mine is going on 4 years old and it is bullet proof transportation. Point A to B. makes its own electricity, sips on gas. Not a super car but it was designed for every day driving. Tesla is an example of a family super car but it has a limited range because it is 100% electric. Put a small gas motor in one and you have a winner.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#44]
So they're leaving F1 then?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So when will the electric grid be updated to support all of these electric vehicles?  It sounds like the cart before the horse
View Quote
As demand increases.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Only when every house has a battery pack installed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#49]
stupid idea on their part.

Wide scale adoption of electric is 25-50 years out
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hybrid is the way to go. I know most of you laugh at the Prius, but mine is going on 4 years old and it is bullet proof transportation. Point A to B. makes its own electricity, sips on gas. Not a super car but it was designed for every day driving. Tesla is an example of a family super car but it has a limited range because it is 100% electric. Put a small gas motor in one and you have a winner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hybrid makes sense in some cases, but for the vast majority of driving all electric is a better option. Both have their place. Most households have more than one vehicle, having a pure electric and a hybrid would be ideal for most of those cases.

Personally, I have no interest in a hybrid, but would love a pure EV to DD.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top