Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy coal stocks. That electricity has to come from somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#2]
MB employee here.
The current line of engines will run a few more years.Plus their replacements are all ready "developed".So gas will be around 10-15yrs easy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This has been the case for roughly 3 years now with all Euro automakers.  They have all essentially abandoned development of all new IC engines.  Resources have shifted to electric.  Nobody wants to be left behind.  Believe me when I say the supply base manufacturing these engine components is freaking out.
View Quote
I’d bet it’s similar to what the livery stable industry experienced way back

Battery tech is improving and will continue to improve
In the last 5 years Tesla has added about 50% increase in range and reduced charging time by about 35%
In dc fast chargers
It will continue in that direction
For daily driving/commuting 99 % of people will meet 99% of their needs by fueling at home at night when the grid isn’t stressed
Today with no further advancements long distance travel (at least for Tesla) refueling electric cars has been reduced to a mild inconvenience
Adding about an hour and 45 minutes of charge time to a 1000 mile road trip
(To put it a different way you’ll have to have a sit down lunch and dinner rather than fast food when your vehicle is refueling)
To put that in perspective
On a 1000 mile road trip in an ice car
5 minutes x 2 for the trip
Fast food once or twice 9 minutes for ordering/delivery x 2
28 minutes
1:45 minutes - 30 minutes = 1:15 inconvenience for Tesla driving long distance
And I had a sit down meal plus difference in electric fuel cost

They should be freaking out
The future is electric
Electric car industry is in its infancy, practically speaking only about 6-7 years old
The problem of energy storage was the issue
That problem has been mitigated to a large extent and will only get better as competition in the space is just now coming online

The vehicle industry and all associated industry’s will adjust or die
Car dealerships who get their profits from their service depts are going to get hit really hard as electric motors are basically maintenance free
No oil changes
No fuel system
No timing belts
No spark plugs
No exhaust system
No transmission
Etc etc

Europe and China are going all in
US gas car makers will not survive on US sales alone
First the car prices will go up to offset the losses in the global market
It will hit a point where why would you pay a 30% premium to buy a gas car when 2/3 of the gas stations have closed and dc fast charge stations have increased 1000%

It is going to happen
In 3 years or 25 years it is going to happen and it doesn’t really matter if anyone likes it or not

We don’t ride horses and buggies for transportation and we don’t put Kodak film in our cameras, we don’t use landline phones, we don’t listen to cassette tapes, and we don’t go down to blockbuster to gets some tapes to watch over the weekend
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
People don't realize but European market is roughly twice US (7.7M v14.6M in '16) "SUV's"  have seen the biggest gains over the last decade in both markets, but many are merely tall wagon based on car platforms. Still Mini, Small and Medium cars make up 2/3 of sales in Europe. Top selling vehicles in Europe are the Golf, Fiesta, Clio, Polo, 208, Yaris, Octavio, and CUVs like Tiguan and Qashqai. Models in China - about 20M, are even less premium. Japan's the next largest IIRC

Funny thing only 278k were Hybrid 190k Plug-in hybrid/full Batt  in Europe (about 350k/150k).

MB is a premium brand which insulates them some from general market trends, but Daimler is hoping to benefit from various forms of govt subsidation to make their vehicles more attractive. Real question is - where's the batteries for 40M cars. This ain't happening tomorrow - and likely never
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The manufacturers are giving up on cars and only making SUV's and trucks.  How is that battery system going to make it with heavier vehicles, towing, and long distance.
People don't realize but European market is roughly twice US (7.7M v14.6M in '16) "SUV's"  have seen the biggest gains over the last decade in both markets, but many are merely tall wagon based on car platforms. Still Mini, Small and Medium cars make up 2/3 of sales in Europe. Top selling vehicles in Europe are the Golf, Fiesta, Clio, Polo, 208, Yaris, Octavio, and CUVs like Tiguan and Qashqai. Models in China - about 20M, are even less premium. Japan's the next largest IIRC

Funny thing only 278k were Hybrid 190k Plug-in hybrid/full Batt  in Europe (about 350k/150k).

MB is a premium brand which insulates them some from general market trends, but Daimler is hoping to benefit from various forms of govt subsidation to make their vehicles more attractive. Real question is - where's the batteries for 40M cars. This ain't happening tomorrow - and likely never
Waves in Panasonic https://eu.industrial.panasonic.com/products/batteries-energy-products/automotive-battery
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#5]
This shareholder is distinctly displeased by this.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Colt Mfg reported on Fox Business Network earlier yesterday that they bought majority interest in Daimler Benz.
View Quote
Colt couldn't afford to buy the suits that the D-B CEO wears, much less majority interest.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’d bet it’s similar to what the livery stable industry experienced way back

Battery tech is improving and will continue to improve
In the last 5 years Tesla has added about 50% increase in range and reduced charging time by about 35%
In dc fast chargers
It will continue in that direction
For daily driving/commuting 99 % of people will meet 99% of their needs by fueling at home at night when the grid isn’t stressed
Today with no further advancements long distance travel (at least for Tesla) refueling electric cars has been reduced to a mild inconvenience
Adding about an hour and 45 minutes of charge time to a 1000 mile road trip
(To put it a different way you’ll have to have a sit down lunch and dinner rather than fast food when your vehicle is refueling)
To put that in perspective
On a 1000 mile road trip in an ice car
5 minutes x 2 for the trip
Fast food once or twice 9 minutes for ordering/delivery x 2
28 minutes
1:45 minutes - 30 minutes = 1:15 inconvenience for Tesla driving long distance
And I had a sit down meal plus difference in electric fuel cost

They should be freaking out
The future is electric
Electric car industry is in its infancy, practically speaking only about 6-7 years old
The problem of energy storage was the issue
That problem has been mitigated to a large extent and will only get better as competition in the space is just now coming online

The vehicle industry and all associated industry’s will adjust or die
Car dealerships who get their profits from their service depts are going to get hit really hard as electric motors are basically maintenance free
No oil changes
No fuel system
No timing belts
No spark plugs
No exhaust system
No transmission
Etc etc

Europe and China are going all in
US gas car makers will not survive on US sales alone
First the car prices will go up to offset the losses in the global market
It will hit a point where why would you pay a 30% premium to buy a gas car when 2/3 of the gas stations have closed and dc fast charge stations have increased 1000%

It is going to happen
In 3 years or 25 years it is going to happen and it doesn’t really matter if anyone likes it or not

We don’t ride horses and buggies for transportation and we don’t put Kodak film in our cameras, we don’t use landline phones, we don’t listen to cassette tapes, and we don’t go down to blockbuster to gets some tapes to watch over the weekend
View Quote
User name checks out
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Complete and total BS
Here is a canonball run time in a Tesla for you.
Better time than a few ICE cars

I’ve done it in 2.75 days on a bit more leasurely route
The last half carrying 5 adults and luggage

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-ev-cannonball-run-record-video/amp/

2 weeks? You are woefully uneducated on the
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using Tesla's recharging stations and working with the timetables, it takes you two weeks to cross the United States.

Tell me Mercedes, what got you to do that in 28 hours with an electric car? Because so far, only an internal combustion vehicle can do that.

MB is virtue signalling to their ignorant buyer base insulated from reality.
Complete and total BS
Here is a canonball run time in a Tesla for you.
Better time than a few ICE cars

I’ve done it in 2.75 days on a bit more leasurely route
The last half carrying 5 adults and luggage

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-ev-cannonball-run-record-video/amp/

2 weeks? You are woefully uneducated on the
^Fan boy delivering the HONK HONK.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#9]
The last road trip I took was last month. Since then, I've already spent more time filling up my DD for my daily commute than I would have had to wait for an EV to recharge during that trip.

I'm not seeing the downside to the EV.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It could be that IC engines are just about as good as they can be without using insanely expensive materials.
View Quote
Came here to post this. Between variable lift and adjustable cam timing, direct injection, variable turbo charging, internal intercooling.

You gotta wonder how much more can be squeezed from IC engines. My prediction is that the future is several varieties of hybrid as I don't see full electric being a solid solution for decades to come.

Enjoy it while you can, gearheads. This is just like the late 60's all over again.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I think it’s more a case of they can’t get their engines and esp Transmissions to last more then 10 years so..... why not lol
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hybrid is the way to go. I know most of you laugh at the Prius, but mine is going on 4 years old and it is bullet proof transportation. Point A to B. makes its own electricity, sips on gas. Not a super car but it was designed for every day driving. Tesla is an example of a family super car but it has a limited range because it is 100% electric. Put a small gas motor in one and you have a winner.
View Quote
Prius
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Most likely, Western Europe is nuts.
View Quote
More Europeans park their vehicles on the public road or in parking garages.  How the hell are you going to retrofit those locations for charging stations?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Waves in Panasonic https://eu.industrial.panasonic.com/products/batteries-energy-products/automotive-battery
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The manufacturers are giving up on cars and only making SUV's and trucks.  How is that battery system going to make it with heavier vehicles, towing, and long distance.

Panasonic will nearly double its capacity near term (which is insignificant in terms of world total vehicles produced) - but there continues to be bottlenecks. Battery metals - with the additional Aus Lithium production a Lithium oversupply (or at least a cost decrease) is looming. Cobalt and Nickel are an issue now.

Market will fix eventually, but my point remains - 100% EV replacement ain't happening now, soon, or likely at all.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As demand increases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So when will the electric grid be updated to support all of these electric vehicles?  It sounds like the cart before the horse
As demand increases.
So in my neck of the woods.... NEVER
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
The only thing is it’s true

Whereas it’s completely untrue that it takes two weeks to cross the country in a Tesla
Hell, an older Nissan Leaf can do it in 4-5 days

That’s the thing, it’s the truth and some people when confronted with a fact that doesn’t fit their narrative will double down and say “nope it’s two weeks” even when evidence shows that to be untrue.

Or use a term like “fanboy” to invoke a narrative that that truth is not valid because of the you know “fanboy”

“He really likes the company so you have to take anything he says with a grain of salt”

Never mind the fact of what he said is 100% accurate
And he posted information that 100% states what he said was indeed factually correct.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#18]
1908-“hey mister livery stable owner, what do you think of mr fords fancy affordable horseless carriage?”

-livery stable owner “it’s pretty neat, it’s cool it’s faster than a horse and all but only in a straight line. And once it’s out of gas my horse will keep on going. I mean look, there are only a few gas stations around so how are you going to refuel it? And besides that, it’s really only good if you live in a big city. If you want drive it long distance there is the gas station issue and what roads are you going to drive it on? There are only a few smooth enough to not beat the car to pieces. And another thing, where is mr ford going to get all that steel for his cars? The supply chain is constrained by the building industry buying it all up for those big buildings. And what about the rubber for all those tires? Only X amount of rubber is produced a year and it’s pretty much spoken for.....and the oil and gas companies are pretty much tapped out in their refining capacity. They can never handle fuel for any significant number of those fancy cars. I’m not worried in the least bit they are kind of cool. Even if, I’ve still got farmers bringing their crops to town. No car can ever replace that plus they need those horses to work their fields. Cars can’t plow fields”

Fast forward 12 years to the 1920s when Americans bought 26 million cars and 3 million trucks.
Plus tractors

I’m certain there were tons of “cling to your horse” folks that made these arguments

And to me those arguments seem really familiar
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Whereas it’s completely untrue that it takes two weeks to cross the country in a Tesla

That’s the thing, it’s the truth and some people when confronted with a fact that doesn’t fit their narrative will double down and say “nope it’s two weeks” even when evidence shows that to be untrue.

Or use a term like “fanboy” to invoke a narrative that that truth is not valid because of the you know “fanboy”

“He really likes the company so you have to take anything he says with a grain of salt”

And he posted information that 100% states what he said was indeed factually correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a huge portion of GD that operates on feelz. Logic and facts are useless.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Read my post above. They have spent billions and achieved over 50% thermal efficiency with hybrid electrics.
View Quote
Now work to get 60%
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So when will the electric grid be updated to support all of these electric vehicles?  It sounds like the cart before the horse
As demand increases.
Which is part of my point
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As demand increases.
That tesla guy posts about horses vs. cars..... there's still a shit tonne of horse~n~buggies rolling around out here
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#23]
No. No, they aren't.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Until electric vehicles offer refueling/recharging as quickly and conveniently as gasoline does, they won't be mainstream.

I've been told recharging a vehicle battery that has 300+ miles of range in 3-5 minutes would require a massive amount of power (not sure if voltage or amperage or both).  Pretty much every "gas station" out there would have to be re-wired and it would be a strain on the current electrical grid.

Another solution would be for standardized battery packs that can be swapped in 3-5 minutes but that presents other engineering and design challenges, plus the labor or equipment in the field to swap the batteries.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There are still villages that can be razed before Nord Stream 2 delivers them all the Russian LNG they need...
View Quote
To quote the great oil strategist "Oil is like dating, Gas is like being married."
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Now work to get 60%
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read my post above. They have spent billions and achieved over 50% thermal efficiency with hybrid electrics.
Now work to get 60%
No point. The lessons learned getting to 50% would fuel 3 decades of production R&D requirements.

The smart move is to take the billions that would be spent chasing another 10% and work on electric (purely as a hedge).
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#27]
unrelatedly is mercedes looking in to how to upgrade the power grid 3-4x ? because if not i see bad thing on the horizon for them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They should be focusing on hybrid electric powertrains not just pure Electric

That's a pretty dumb move
View Quote
I still don't understand why hybrids have been abandoned; it seems like the best of both worlds.  The performance and simplicity of electric drive train, with the flexibility and range of a small gas generator to charge the battery.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
1908-“hey mister livery stable owner, what do you think of mr fords fancy affordable horseless carriage?”

-livery stable owner “it’s pretty neat, it’s cool it’s faster than a horse and all but only in a straight line. And once it’s out of gas my horse will keep on going. I mean look, there are only a few gas stations around so how are you going to refuel it? And besides that, it’s really only good if you live in a big city. If you want drive it long distance there is the gas station issue and what roads are you going to drive it on? There are only a few smooth enough to not beat the car to pieces. And another thing, where is mr ford going to get all that steel for his cars? The supply chain is constrained by the building industry buying it all up for those big buildings. And what about the rubber for all those tires? Only X amount of rubber is produced a year and it’s pretty much spoken for.....and the oil and gas companies are pretty much tapped out in their refining capacity. They can never handle fuel for any significant number of those fancy cars. I’m not worried in the least bit they are kind of cool. Even if, I’ve still got farmers bringing their crops to town. No car can ever replace that plus they need those horses to work their fields. Cars can’t plow fields”

Fast forward 12 years to the 1920s when Americans bought 26 million cars and 3 million trucks.
Plus tractors

I’m certain there were tons of “cling to your horse” folks that made these arguments

And to me those arguments seem really familiar
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
People don't buy vehicles for 99% of the time.  They buy them for the 1% of the time.

Suzy McWifeunit buys a crossover to drop the kids at school on Tuesday and Thursday and buy 36-packs of toilet paper at Costco three times per year.  The other 99% of the time, she's by herself driving to work.

Joe VanderTuffnuts buys a pickup to tow his camper twice a year and pickup a few bags of mulch and fertilizer throughout the year.  The other 99% of the time, he's by himself driving to the bar or the bowling alley.

This why roads aren't full of single-occupant vehicles.  We buy for 1%, not 99%.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is the massive amount of extra electricity going to come from? We already have problems supplying enough power to areas with higher populations when it gets hot.  Charge over night when the grid is less stressed?  Don't you think it would be stressed if a shit ton of people plug in their cars before heading to bed?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The last road trip I took was last month. Since then, I've already spent more time filling up my DD for my daily commute than I would have had to wait for an EV to recharge during that trip.

I'm not seeing the downside to the EV.
View Quote
Try carry a bunch of crap or towing some stuff. 1% of charge per mile in one test.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Where is the massive amount of extra electricity going to come from? We already have problems supplying enough power to areas with higher populations when it gets hot.  Charge over night when the grid is less stressed?  Don't you think it would be stressed if a shit ton of people plug in their cars before heading to bed?
View Quote
Shh, we don't talk about that.  Electricity comes from the wall, just like food comes from the grocery store.

These cherry picked cannonball runs mean nothing, electric cars are not practical for long distance driving.  If I can do some cherry picking of my own, look at New York to Seattle.  42hrs in a normal car.

Standard range Model X takes 69hrs and a 250 mile detour to find superchargers.  This trip might not even be possible in winter.  Assuming 10hrs/day driving, you're slightly faster than a bicycle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Panasonic will nearly double its capacity near term (which is insignificant in terms of world total vehicles produced) - but there continues to be bottlenecks. Battery metals - with the additional Aus Lithium production a Lithium oversupply (or at least a cost decrease) is looming. Cobalt and Nickel are an issue now.

Market will fix eventually, but my point remains - 100% EV replacement ain't happening now, soon, or likely at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Japan is betting on Hydrogen to hedge that, but they will not give up IC engines as nothing comes close to the being able to supply the amount of energy needed to keep major economies ticking along and moving. I agree, and I doubt EV's will ever take over, they will be supplemental.

MB engines are really good, they can afford to not invest for 5 to 10 years and play with hybrid systems and keep their politicians placated. That is what I read into this.

Oil is the lubricator of the world, nothing can change that no matter how green the fluffers lips are!
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don’t know but we figured it out in 10 years when we went from needing to fuel 500,000 cars in 1908 to needing to fuel 30,000,000 in the 1920s

Yes that was good ol oil
We produced enough to meet the need in 1908  and on utility scale as the need increased so did the production

I get pretty much all of my fuel from solar
15kw system
Makes more than I use for driving and my house

Maybe more hydro? Maybe need storage on a utility scale to offset? Maybe more nuclear? More wind? More solar?
Natural gas?

We have done it before
When electric consumption has increased we have responded.

It’s a valid question but when the question is phrased in such a way as to be nearly rhetorical it dismisses the fact we have rapidly increased production of fuel for gas cars in the past and we have rapidly increased electrical production in the past to meet rapidly rising electrical consumption

The fact that electricity is going to be used in something you might not agree with doesn’t feminism the fact we have produced pretty much anything we have needed to meet the demand that need required.
There is  a business model in there somewhere
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#36]
LOLno
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I don’t know but we figured it out in 10 years when we went from needing to fuel 500,000 cars in 1908 to needing to fuel 30,000,000 in the 1920s

Yes that was good ol oil
We produced enough to meet the need in 1908  and on utility scale as the need increased so did the production

15kw system

Maybe more hydro? Maybe need storage on a utility scale to offset? Maybe more nuclear? More wind? More solar?
Natural gas?

We have done it before

It’s a valid question but when the question is phrased in such a way as to be nearly rhetorical it dismisses the fact we have rapidly increased production of fuel for gas cars in the past and we have rapidly increased electrical production in the past to meet rapidly rising electrical consumption

The fact that electricity is going to be used in something you might not agree with doesn’t feminism the fact we have produced pretty much anything we have needed to meet the demand that need required.
View Quote
Call me when they figure out how to electrically power a passenger airliner
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Mercedes' biggest problem is that their value/quality has dropped below all the Japanese manufacturers, Ford, and others.  The value of used Mercedes have dropped like rocks.  Maybe they figure a simple electric design will save the company.  But, I don't think they can compete with the Chinese in the electric car market.  Most likely, Daimler is on its last breaths.
View Quote
Mercedes have always had shit resale value. That's not new.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They should be focusing on hybrid electric powertrains not just pure Electric

That's a pretty dumb move
View Quote
Couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Personally, I have no interest in a hybrid, but would love a pure EV to DD.
View Quote
You could have both, with something like this:

Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Shh, we don't talk about that.  Electricity comes from the wall, just like food comes from the grocery store.

These cherry picked cannonball runs mean nothing, electric cars are not practical for long distance driving.  If I can do some cherry picking of my own, look at New York to Seattle.  42hrs in a normal car.

Standard range Model X takes 69hrs and a 250 mile detour to find superchargers.  This trip might not even be possible in winter.  Assuming 10hrs/day driving, you're slightly faster than a bicycle.
View Quote
Wrong again
55.5 hours for that trip in a Tesla model X
Shave 1.5 hours off that trip time if you spend the night along the way and charge at the hotel

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=68ab7230-9835-4bd9-8018-9c576d028245

I’m not sure if the trip plan will show up in that address I posted
If you want  to see the reality of NY to Seattle in a Tesla model X
Go to abetterrouteplaner  website
Put NY in as starting point
Put Seattle as destination
Pull up settings
Choose Tesla model X raven refresh as the vehicle
Choose speed limit factor as 110% if speed limit
Choose max speed of set a max speed of 85mph (it will calculate against 110% of speed limit)
Choose buffer of 5% and 100% charge for your starting charge %
Choose only using Tesla super chargers
Hit plan route
The first figure will be trip time without factoring in overnights
The first figure is total trip time of 55 hours
Then it’s broken down to drive time and charging time

Not bad those
The first player shorted Tesla by 11.5 days of trip time
You only tacked in 25%
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yes that was good ol oil

15kw system

Natural gas?

We have done it before

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes that was good ol oil

15kw system

Natural gas?

We have done it before

Would you like to discuss this topic in terms of efficiency, logistics, mathematics or economics?

I'd like you to answer this rhetorical question; "Which source of energy best suits our current state, and the next 10 years of economic growth and stability?"

Consumer cars are such a small part of the energy equation, but they are the most emotional subject because we all want to be the master of our own horse. How do we power the devices that move (logistically) most of the stuff we need to keep our economies productive? Can EV's compete with current systems?

EV's are novelties for market mavens and first movers, but on every measurable scale of economic development and environmental protection, they are net losers.

Hydrogen creates a conundrum, but it has to be produced by massive amounts of electricity so how the hell do we do that??

NOTHING is free. But some things are more efficient and easier to improve like the energy systems we have now. Get over that and embrace cleaning of current systems before embarking on new untested ones.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#43]
It’s also bullshit as they still sell commercial vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Wrong again
55.5 hours for that trip in a Tesla model X
View Quote
Dude, I used Tesla's own route planner. Click the link and look for yourself.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#45]
I would laugh if Mercedes stopped but AMG didn't. Half-fast, short-legged econoboxes for the lay people while the wealthy still get the hot V from AMG.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
lol

Soon to be the next victims of "Get woke go broke".

Electric will eventually be the future but it isn't here yet and betting the farm that you'll make it viable in the next 5-10 years is a bold/retarded strategy.
View Quote
They may have 10-20 years worth of development already in the bottle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Call me when they figure out how to electrically power a passenger airliner
View Quote
Here is an article you might want to read  about short hop electric passenger planes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2018/04/27/all-electric-trainer-plane-airworthiness-certification-faa-us/amp/
Oops wrong one, that’s for small GA trainers and talks about the cost savings

Here is the one for commercial planes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-48630656
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Dude, I used Tesla's own route planner. Click the link and look for yourself.
View Quote
I drive a Tesla the default Tesla app leaves about a 20% buffer in their route planner app

I use “abetterrouteplanner” app to plan any long distance travel

It takes far more into account like letting you set speed parameters, your own buffer, etc etc
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It could be that IC engines are just about as good as they can be without using insanely expensive materials.
View Quote
That's what I was thinking
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
lol

Soon to be the next victims of "Get woke go broke".

Electric will eventually be the future but it isn't here yet and betting the farm that you'll make it viable in the next 5-10 years is a bold/retarded strategy.
View Quote
Should it be "go broke, get woke"?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top