Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 298
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think there were some speculation that the flow was reduced due to eroding the inlet channel.  Not sure this is a big deal.

DWR stated they turned the flow down so they could resume work at the bottom of the spillway clearing debris so the river level leading back to the powerhouse could be reduced.

The inlet channel seems to slope up towards the gates BTW.

https://youtu.be/XZO_744b_Gs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZO_744b_Gs
View Quote

Thanks for posting that video, it makes the channel for the spillway make a little more sense.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#2]

So the water is fracking the dam!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Rainfall Projections Will Overtop Emergency Spillway by 13 Feet at Oroville Dam (313)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgBW09wd5so#t=85.365369
View Quote

Interesting.  Any comments from the real engineers, hydroligists and or water shed experts here ?  It sounds really bad.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's one hell of an optical illusion.  Looks just like little piles of dirt9.
View Quote

If you out it side by side with the picture from the opening ceremony,  they look very similar.   The main difference is lighting and soIL color.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
'

The massive chute is 178 feet wide, as wide as 15 lanes of freeway, and just 15 inches thick in the middle.

I new it was big but 15 lanes wow. They really do dump as much water down that as goes over Niagara falls.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
'

I new it was big but 15 lanes wow. They really do dump as much water down that as goes over Niagara falls.
View Quote

Lordy...just looking at pics with no people/vehicles made it hard to grasp the size of it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ever notice how these gloom and doom scenarios always have a common thread? There is always some core belief that the government is holding back some sort of information, and the author is the only one privy to the "real" information. If the conspiracy of government withholding information falls through, the whole theory of destruction is out the window.
View Quote
Except in this case it's been true. Things that have been talked about in this thread as potential problems that have become real problems have either not been mentioned in DWR press conferences or when asked about them poo-poo it as nothing. In at least one case when a reporter asked a very pointed question about the maintenance they presser was sudden over. The local sheriff even stepped up and said we're done, no more questions.

If a simple visual inspection, up close and personal, had been done of the spillway over the last 5 years, there would be no problem or conspiracies to talk about. This really has been comedy of errors.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This was GDs biggest, and most education SAFE THREAD ever. And like every safe thread, in the end, it fails to deliver
View Quote

I've been here (GD) since 2010.

2010:  You ain't seen bad yet but it's coming... market collapse TOMORROW
2011:  Fukushima is going to kill everyone and everything
2012:  ROMNEY IN A LANDSLIDE! (Honorable mention:  There's no way the SC will rule that the ACA is constitutional)
2013:  Obama is going to ban all guns by executive order
2014:  Ebola is going to kill everyone and everything
2015:  Donald trump is a joke and a liberal plant (Honorable mention: Hillary is going to jail for Benghazi/Emails/Jaywalking)
2016:  Hillary is going to win

So far, we're 0 for 7, or if you count the honorable mentions, 0 for 9.

Now:
2017:  The dam is gonna fail and kill all Californians!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Tiny bubbles....in the dam.....
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Badselfeater was a 250 page scavenger hunt leading up to......
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lordy...just looking at pics with no people/vehicles made it hard to grasp the size of it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Interesting.  Any comments from the real engineers, hydroligists and or water shed experts here ?  It sounds really bad.
View Quote

I'm not a real engineer, whatever one of those is, but I suspect that guy could make some money selling what he's smoking...
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rainfall Projections Will Overtop Emergency Spillway by 13 Feet at Oroville Dam (313)

Well this would end Oroville and many communities downstream. Weather forecasts are not reliable as we all know.
Someone find a farmers almanac and see what it says.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Alternative math in that video.  It sucks, honestly.  His assumption relies on every drop of water entering that dam all at once (impossible) rather than over time.  The e-spillway, should it remain intact, will never see feet of water going over it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#15]
So with the rain the area is presently getting, what is the inflow looking like ?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Just a curiosity question about that photo: I wonder where the drive in point was for getting those trucks into the spillway? Did they make a temporary one for that operation and then fix or remove it later?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So with the rain the area is presently getting, what is the inflow looking like ?
View Quote

Latest update has it right at 29k csf.  CDEC Oroville Dam Data
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just a curiosity question about that photo: I wonder where the drive in point was for getting those trucks into the spillway? Did they make a temporary one for that operation and then fix or remove it later?
View Quote

They just drove through the gates.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

2012:  ROMNEY IN A LANDSLIDE! (Honorable mention:  There's no way the SC will rule that the ACA is constitutional)
2015:  Donald trump is a joke and a liberal plant (Honorable mention: Hillary is going to jail for Benghazi/Emails/Jaywalking)

Now:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This was GDs biggest, and most education SAFE THREAD ever. And like every safe thread, in the end, it fails to deliver

Now:

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
DWR Data Exchange - Oroville
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They just drove through the gates.
View Quote

So I guess those roads inside the lake bed that show in earlier photos of the lake at lower levels are still usable if the lake is down far enough.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Now:
View Quote

Yeah, the GD sucks at predicting things...most groups of people do. With that attitude, though, I really hope you don't work in security or emergency management...because "oh, that'll NEVER happen!" is the worst idea ever.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Thanks.

Picking up a tad but not dramatically.

Batt voltage steady.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Okay here's how it should work... It rains... Some flows out, if too much comes in it gets stored then released later.

It does not, as already said above come in at the same time. It also depends on the intensity of the storm , so 9" of rain as a total over 30 minutes is very different to 9" of rain over 24 hrs.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Was it that rotary excavator or a big Dragline I saw a video of that broke thru the ice at Centralia? They used about 50 rock trucks to pull it out iirc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some history of the dam
The bucket wheel excavator (shown bottom right) was built by the company I worked for in the mid 60's.

More history

Interesting information.
Were you involved with the tear down and relocation?
That Krupp bucket wheel excavator system ended up at the Centralia, WA coal mine where it was used for about 25 years or more for pre-stripping coal seams.
It was used in 2 different pit areas as I recall.
I started work at the mine when it was in the second area and spent many an hour keeping it maintained and operating.
Was it that rotary excavator or a big Dragline I saw a video of that broke thru the ice at Centralia? They used about 50 rock trucks to pull it out iirc

To the best of my knowledge no mining equipment ever broke through ice at the Centralia mine. Winters here are relatively mild at +/- 400 feet above sea level. I've never seen a river here ice over in over 50 years here.
There were several land slides of spoils through the years and a large walking dragline sunk in a soft spot once. The tub was tilted about 30 degrees from level. It walked free after undermining material and re-constructing a new pad under the opposite side of the sunken portion of the tub.

Link to video?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks.

Picking up a tad but not dramatically.

Batt voltage steady.
View Quote
We've had a 1/2" of rain since midnight.  I'm 2 hours south of Oroville.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No, I worked for an engineering company as part of a team designing as-built modifications to the electrical system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting information.
Were you involved with the tear down and relocation?
That Krupp bucket wheel excavator system ended up at the Centralia, WA coal mine where it was used for about 25 years or more for pre-stripping coal seams.
It was used in 2 different pit areas as I recall.
I started work at the mine when it was in the second area and spent many an hour keeping it maintained and operating.

No, I worked for an engineering company as part of a team designing as-built modifications to the electrical system.

So you remember the GE Amplydine on the excavator.
Did you know an electrical guy who may have worked on the excavator at Oroville named Don Geraci?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cavitation could be a real possibility... It has caused major issues at other dams.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Really?
Half your state is under water with every hurricane that blows in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have no sympathy for California inbreds that build in a flood plain. 

Really?
Half your state is under water with every hurricane that blows in.

Below a properly ran, properly maintained dam is safer than living anywhere else near a river or lake.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Isn't that the truth.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
https://s28.postimg.org/d2ikvo1ct/IMAG0185.jpg

Okay here's how it should work... It rains... Some flows out, if too much comes in it gets stored then released later.

It does not, as already said above come in at the same time. It also depends on the intensity of the storm , so 9" of rain as a total over 30 minutes is very different to 9" of rain over 24 hrs.
View Quote

Top right corner.

Get the "Checked By" box signed and get back to us.

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For mountains, up to 10-11", which is Oroville

The rain is here, with 5-6 hours of intense rain.  Dopper is showing a blob of red, which is pretty heavy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#35]
So far we have been lucky that the "bad weather" hasn't dropped a lot of water.  Larger amounts of moisture aren't expected to accumulate in the basin until later this weekend.

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Best of luck to everyone out there.

We're about to get hammered here in SoCal.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Flooding in SoCal may turn into a bigger story. Wouldn't be surprised to see significant losses and casualties. People need to be making plans to bug out NOW.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
'

View Quote

Niagara falls averages 85,000 cu ft/s. Wasn't the spill way flowing 100,000 cu ft/m?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Niagara falls averages 85,000 cu ft/s. Wasn't the spill way flowing 100,000 cu ft/m?
View Quote
They had it up to 150k cfs, maybe 165k.  I don't remember. (not for this recent activity, I think that topped out at 100k)
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
'

Yes that is true. Never been to Oroville but I have stood next too and under Niagara falls, impressive.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Fun while it lasted. Glad they pulled it off. Get that damn Dam spillway fixed would-ya.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Top right corner.

Get the "Checked By" box signed and get back to us.
View Quote

I'm not submitting ANYTHING for approval on this project...
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Fun while it lasted. Glad they pulled it off. Get that damn Dam spillway fixed would-ya.
View Quote
The Dam webcam shows the wind is picking up, it's raining and the concrete pumper arm that was still up over the weir is gone. They may have done what they can until it stops raining again.

ETA: Looks like the Blackhawks are in business again.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Flooding in SoCal may turn into a bigger story. Wouldn't be surprised to see significant losses and casualties. People need to be making plans to bug out NOW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry, they'll be able to find sanctuary somewhere. 
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Weather cam from Magalia Firestation (elev. 2473) about 15 miles north of the dam.

Web Cam 15mi North of Dam 

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:... its still like sucking on Hillaries tampon every day.
View Quote

Got pics?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.  
Heavy winds and rain coming in.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Spillway Before/After (Slide to compare thing)

It's pretty clear that when they finally noticed cracks in the concrete a lot of their anti-cavtation water had already flowed under the ramp, eroding it bit by bit and was either non-checked or ignored ("Hey, we're in perma drought!").

The distance that ramp fell didn't get eroded in the past two months.    

Their Patches were somewhere between proper patches and road patches, they obviously didn't ensure the ramp was sitting on something solid.    The ramp was originally poured on ripped away bedrock, so there should be NO open areas/spans beneath ramp, it was designed as a water road, not a bridge.
View Quote

Last year was the first time in 5 years that they ran water over the spillway.  Than ran something like 8,000 cfs and it tore big holes in the spill way.  Instead of thinking they needed to do a full inspection they just patched it, the way any state worker would.  As you mentioned clearly their were voids under the spillway.  They apparently never asked why or thought it was a concern until the ran water last Tuesday which destroyed the spillway.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top