Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 298
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#1]
First time I've had to go to page 2 of GD for this thread.

Don't let it die. It's my lunch time and bed time reading
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This.  
Heavy winds and rain coming in.
View Quote
Chainsaws gassed and batteries ready, bar oil done, everythings sharpened and ready to cut. Hacked out the dam overflow again, on my property, came close to going over last storm. We'll see what happens with this one. Winch truck is ready too, got extra tarps and tie downs, weighted down the sheds, etc.

Fun living in a flash flood area with Eucalyptus trees that the city refuses to take care of, even though it's on their property. Hope they have good insurance, they're gonna need it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like rain is getting heavy at Oroville.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Interesting information.
Were you involved with the tear down and relocation?
That Krupp bucket wheel excavator system ended up at the Centralia, WA coal mine where it was used for about 25 years or more for pre-stripping coal seams.
It was used in 2 different pit areas as I recall.
I started work at the mine when it was in the second area and spent many an hour keeping it maintained and operating.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some history of the dam
The bucket wheel excavator (shown bottom right) was built by the company I worked for in the mid 60's.

More history

Interesting information.
That Krupp bucket wheel excavator system ended up at the Centralia, WA coal mine where it was used for about 25 years or more for pre-stripping coal seams.
I started work at the mine when it was in the second area and spent many an hour keeping it maintained and operating.

Is it still there?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm clapping! I've spent no less than 4 hours a night catching up on this thread! My wife just keeps getting upstairs "are you still reading that dam thread?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What? Why do you get off easy? There's over 660000 people watching this.

Tune in Sunday nite. It only takes a minute. Of course, then you drop into the middle of the conversation, have to back track, start catching up, then you notice it's 4 hours later and you have to get up in 3 more hours.

You're doomed, ya know. It's like crack coated carmelcorn. It's already altering your conscience, and all you've done is post a plea against it worming it's way to the to core of your mind and taking over. Soon you'll realize you've been up 48 hours and the boss thinks you're a no call no show while your wife (or mother) is screaming at you while you pound the keyboard with bloody fingertips as you calculate the inches of rise against the inches of rain desperately paging back and forth from early page to page trying to understand the calculus of watershed vs impoundment ratios and who would be the most likely to order this disaster not knowing it's been a wet winter and just the start of the spring runoff with 7 major cracks in the bedrock funneling water into schist folds forcing them to spread hydraulically and wedge open even further in a geometric acceleration of horrendous proportions allowing the entire emergency spillway to completely tip over right down to the river bed exposing 200,000 innocent men, women and children to a massive wall of water filled with broken rock, trees, cars, buildings, and concrete in a titanic blender of incredible power destroying everything in its path down the river past Sacramento into the Bay and then in a towering wall of hurtling mud destroying the Golden Gate leaving nothing more than stubs of concrete that are swallowed up in the cataclysmic earthquake of California sinking into the Pacific.

Nope. No mercy. Yer doomed. They will find your body slumped over the keyboard along with half a million others with your eyes literally fused to the screen.

The survivors will split up your gear and inscribe your name on the monument facing the sea in Nevada.

Not sure if I should be clapping and congratulations for an epic post.... or hitting you with 2 of Haldol, 50 of benadryl  and 2 of ativan....

I'm clapping! I've spent no less than 4 hours a night catching up on this thread! My wife just keeps getting upstairs "are you still reading that dam thread?"

Lol same here, I hope something either way at this points happen so I can go back to living..............
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've been here (GD) since 2010.

2010:  You ain't seen bad yet but it's coming... market collapse TOMORROW
2011:  Fukushima is going to kill everyone and everything
2012:  ROMNEY IN A LANDSLIDE! (Honorable mention:  There's no way the SC will rule that the ACA is constitutional)
2013:  Obama is going to ban all guns by executive order
2014:  Ebola is going to kill everyone and everything
2015:  Donald trump is a joke and a liberal plant (Honorable mention: Hillary is going to jail for Benghazi/Emails/Jaywalking)
2016:  Hillary is going to win

So far, we're 0 for 7, or if you count the honorable mentions, 0 for 9.

Now:
2017:  The dam is gonna fail and kill all Californians!
View Quote

But this time it's different; Trump is in office. This is the big one!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#7]
So current lake level is 860.27

Inflows have ticked up a little.  Now about 30k and Outflow at 80k.  They've now got a pretty significant buffer.  So long as the main spillway holds up to the flow... doesn't get worse... And they don't do anything stupid like shutting it off they should be fine.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Someone mentioned many pages back, not sure where, that intake is not currently in use. I don't remember if it was a diversion tunnel or what but it's not part of the current spillway or hydroelectric intake.

ETA: I don't know which is true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think there were some speculation that the flow was reduced due to eroding the inlet channel.  Not sure this is a big deal.

DWR stated they turned the flow down so they could resume work at the bottom of the spillway clearing debris so the river level leading back to the powerhouse could be reduced.

The inlet channel seems to slope up towards the gates BTW.

https://youtu.be/XZO_744b_Gs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZO_744b_Gs

Someone mentioned many pages back, not sure where, that intake is not currently in use. I don't remember if it was a diversion tunnel or what but it's not part of the current spillway or hydroelectric intake.

ETA: I don't know which is true.
Two concrete-lined diversion tunnels, each 4,400 feet (1,341 m) long and 35 feet (11 m) in diameter, were excavated to channel the Feather River
around the dam site. One of the tunnels was located at river level and
would carry normal water flows, while the second one would only be used
during floods.

From the Wiki page on the Oroville Dam...... Not sure what happened to them...
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

They had a maintenance issue with them in 2009 and decided not to repair them.

I bet they regret that decision.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Spillway Before/After (Slide to compare thing)

It's pretty clear that when they finally noticed cracks in the concrete a lot of their anti-cavtation water had already flowed under the ramp, eroding it bit by bit and was either non-checked or ignored ("Hey, we're in perma drought!").

The distance that ramp fell didn't get eroded in the past two months.    

Their Patches were somewhere between proper patches and road patches, they obviously didn't ensure the ramp was sitting on something solid.    The ramp was originally poured on ripped away bedrock, so there should be NO open areas/spans beneath ramp, it was designed as a water road, not a bridge.

Lastly, has anybody seen a link to the maintenance records they said would be made public several times now?

And lastly, to the members here believing what the TV is telling them...  They are releasing their numbers/data, they don't make it easy to get and manipulate (hence the spreadsheet), but they are releasing them.   At their press conferences, however, they twist the hell out of those numbers and forecasts to make it seem nothing at all is wrong with the dam.
View Quote

On the maintainance records their still making them up, it takes time to check calendars, check scheduled workers on those days, then find them for quick "briefings"
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I am looking forward to the time when they stop sending water down the main spillway and see what the water did versus what the hill used to look like.

Kind of curious what the engineers will come up with design wise to fix the damaged section.  I wonder if it would be cheaper and faster to build a water bridge versus hauling in fill.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

The old river diversion tunnels are now the only exhaust tunnels of the hydro plant to the diversion pool (river) side and used when the plant is operating. When the plant is pumping water in the reverse direction, then they are intake tunnels.

One of those two tunnels has a direct “river valve” that feeds directly from the reservoir bypassing the plant, but after the 2009 accident it was only partially repaired (missing a baffle ring used for anticavitation) and has a rated flow in the current condition of only 2,000 cfs. It has not been used at all since the post repair testing in 2014, because it was intented only to discharge from the reservoir during drought, when the reservoir level is below the reservoir side hydro plant intakes.

I guess it's not used now because the hydro plant cannot be used either due to high diversion pool (river side) water levels, which DWR says they are trying to fix now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Watching the webcam while I work. Helos are back flying and I see a pumper arm sticking up over the weir again. Fairly steady stream of trucks on the dam.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#14]
The latest numbers if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Is it still there?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some history of the dam
The bucket wheel excavator (shown bottom right) was built by the company I worked for in the mid 60's.

More history

Interesting information.

Is it still there?

No.
It was sold as scrap.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#16]

https://youtu.be/0NJYyUKb0mA

This Guy's videos have been the only morning looks at the repair area of late.  Unfortunately today's is a bit early so low light and it's raining pretty good there so you can't see much.  But he's doing the work that the News isn't.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Spillway Before/After (Slide to compare thing)

It's pretty clear that when they finally noticed cracks in the concrete a lot of their anti-cavtation water had already flowed under the ramp, eroding it bit by bit and was either non-checked or ignored ("Hey, we're in perma drought!").

The distance that ramp fell didn't get eroded in the past two months.    

Their Patches were somewhere between proper patches and road patches, they obviously didn't ensure the ramp was sitting on something solid.    The ramp was originally poured on ripped away bedrock, so there should be NO open areas/spans beneath ramp, it was designed as a water road, not a bridge.

Lastly, has anybody seen a link to the maintenance records they said would be made public several times now?

And lastly, to the members here believing what the TV is telling them...  They are releasing their numbers/data, they don't make it easy to get and manipulate (hence the spreadsheet), but they are releasing them.   At their press conferences, however, they twist the hell out of those numbers and forecasts to make it seem nothing at all is wrong with the dam.
View Quote

That's pretty fun.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best of luck to everyone out there.

We're about to get hammered here in SoCal.
This.  

Getting hammered up here too.  Supposed to be worse starting Monday.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#19]
found this video about the Dam

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

To the best of my knowledge no mining equipment ever broke through ice at the Centralia mine. Winters here are relatively mild at +/- 400 feet above sea level. I've never seen a river here ice over in over 50 years here.
There were several land slides of spoils through the years and a large walking dragline sunk in a soft spot once. The tub was tilted about 30 degrees from level. It walked free after undermining material and re-constructing a new pad under the opposite side of the sunken portion of the tub.

Link to video?
View Quote

I was born in Centralia and raised in Winlock until 7th grade (1990). Not related to your conversation at all, just thought I'd share since I saw you were from there!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've been here (GD) since 2010.

2010:  You ain't seen bad yet but it's coming... market collapse TOMORROW
2011:  Fukushima is going to kill everyone and everything
2012:  ROMNEY IN A LANDSLIDE! (Honorable mention:  There's no way the SC will rule that the ACA is constitutional)
2013:  Obama is going to ban all guns by executive order
2014:  Ebola is going to kill everyone and everything
2015:  Donald trump is a joke and a liberal plant (Honorable mention: Hillary is going to jail for Benghazi/Emails/Jaywalking)
2016:  Hillary is going to win

So far, we're 0 for 7, or if you count the honorable mentions, 0 for 9.

Now:
2017:  The dam is gonna fail and kill all Californians!
View Quote

SNORT!

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I was born in Centralia and raised in Winlock until 7th grade (1990). Not related to your conversation at all, just thought I'd share since I saw you were from there!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To the best of my knowledge no mining equipment ever broke through ice at the Centralia mine. Winters here are relatively mild at +/- 400 feet above sea level. I've never seen a river here ice over in over 50 years here.
There were several land slides of spoils through the years and a large walking dragline sunk in a soft spot once. The tub was tilted about 30 degrees from level. It walked free after undermining material and re-constructing a new pad under the opposite side of the sunken portion of the tub.

Link to video?

Egg Days!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Inflows have ticked up a little.  Now about 30k and Outflow at 80k.  They've now got a pretty significant buffer.
View Quote

Inflow now at 35,000 cfs.  They have gotten lucky that the rain mainly held off until today instead of hitting Wednesday as in the original forecast.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Just spoke to a coworker in Tracy, CA and she said the wind and rain is crazy there, if that moves north that does not seem like a good thing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Inflow now at 35,000 cfs.  They have gotten lucky that the rain mainly held off until today instead of hitting Wednesday as in the original forecast.
View Quote

If its anything like the rain we got up here in Oregon yesterday and the day before then they may really be in for it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sorry, but I instantly discredit any video that use these words in the title: "Secrets, Real Truth, Shocking, Amazing, 'Never Knew', 'Life Hack', Hidden, <and more>"   Adding in non-keyboard Unicode Characters is like putting an exponent on "Sensationalist Bullshit contained within".

If there is good information in that video, it would be shared and people would watch it.   There are some that are titled "Video02482AC" showing excellent footage and commentary with millions of views as proof.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
found this video about the Dam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8etbr_eCV48

Sorry, but I instantly discredit any video that use these words in the title: "Secrets, Real Truth, Shocking, Amazing, 'Never Knew', 'Life Hack', Hidden, <and more>"   Adding in non-keyboard Unicode Characters is like putting an exponent on "Sensationalist Bullshit contained within".

If there is good information in that video, it would be shared and people would watch it.   There are some that are titled "Video02482AC" showing excellent footage and commentary with millions of views as proof.

"....might be tied the earths' magnetic field being at an extremely low level..." I don't understand why people aren't flocking to this guy and his theories. The magnetic field thing is the missing link we've been searching for all this time. Obviously, this guy gets it!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I just talked to a buddy who doesn't live far from Oroville.
According to the forecast, they're expecting two inches of rain in the next 36-48 hours
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just talked to a buddy who doesn't live far from Oroville.
According to the forecast, they're expecting two inches of rain in the next 36-48 hours
View Quote

So far down in Sac it hasn't been to bad, Monday is supposed to be a pretty nasty storm.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:07:29 PM EDT
[#31]
We are getting smacked around Bakersfield, CA. Right now.  

Wind gusts up to 75 mph at the Grapevine (I-5 northbound from LA into the valley)
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#32]

LOL
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#33]
How much would an inch of rain over 24 hours raise the inflow?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Upper end of diversion tunnels are plugged.  As with every dam......or your dam wouldn't work.  

The lower end is used for the power plant outlets and has a small gate/valve that was damaged in 2009, but repaired in the last couple of years.

It is the back up of water due to scrap in the channel that is preventing its use.  Same as the power plant outlets.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Says Ca expects up to 10 inches of rain and 70 mph winds.

Ca heavy rain storm coming
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#37]
So, there was No looting...

But!!!!

Sheriff is going to charge them with looting.

Lol. Nice.

( looters should be horsewhipped )
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So, there was No looting...But!!!!

Lol. Nice.

View Quote

Did you see this? Veteran's medals of valor stolen during California dam evacuation

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#39]

1 horsewhipped,

Then

Forced labor on the cleanup

The

Then loose a hand.

No problem
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

1 horsewhipped,

Then

The

Then loose a hand.

No problem
View Quote

I failed at linking  :(
Trying again
Veteran's medals of valor stolen during California dam evacuation
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

1 horsewhipped,

Then

The

Then loose a hand.

No problem
View Quote

Not adequate, kind of like the spillways
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So, there was No looting...But!!!!

Lol. Nice.

View Quote

Looters should be shot
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#43]
In the 1960's, the National Guard was given the order to shoot looters on sight.
Didn't have the fiery, looting form of "Protest", like we do now.
This was usually after a hurricane or such, and a dusk to dawn curfew was enforced as well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Looters should be shot
View Quote

This.

Always.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

1 horsewhipped,

Then

The

Then loose a hand.

No problem
View Quote
Then give him a helicopter ride to the espillway in one of those white bags...at the bottom of the bag of course.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This.

Always.
View Quote

That'l work
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#47]
so at 1.  which is about now... they'll start reducing the flow on the main spillway with the goal of reaching 70k.  Which they should get to by 3.  After that they may go down to 60k.

This is so they can slightly more safely access the debris pile at the bottom of the main spillway.  Doing that to clear a channel for the diversion pool to finally drain so they can restart the power plant.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

1 horsewhipped,

Then

The

Then loose a hand.

No problem
View Quote

Than shot, thieves are bad enough, but looters take it to a even lower low. Taking advantage of others misfortune is wrong on so many levels it should be a hanging or firing squad offense.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#49]
might be some more erosion near the Main spillway.  Not at the break but it looks like down stream from that a new channel seems to be forming left.

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Its starting to come down pretty hard over here in Socal.
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top