Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 298
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:03:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll jump in on page 211... as an engineer for the company with all that yellow equipment...

That is some glorious work being done by our products.

Thank you all for all the awesome photos and information. I've shared numerous photos/quotes from this thread at work.

May God be with everyone working at the dam. Be safe!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:11:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Back on the 11th I put out a bet of 5 Pmags. threedogs took it. Well it seems to be a tossup as to bedrock and shitrock. So we've decided to call it a draw. But there has to be a winner. So I've decided to award two people in this thread Gold Memberships.

They can be anyone but shit posters or Oregon Duck fans.

Master_of_Orion will be the decider of winners. (so you can bitch at him)

Ed
View Quote

How bout a pmag
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:15:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The second photo could you imagine if the whole thing let loose? Just topple the mountains
View Quote

It's a Cubic Mile of water

A Cubic Mile of water.

Man's go no business playing with that. Not with a single life downhill at least.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:15:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:24:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Book of Dam 2 - Post 1975 Earthquake analysis with schematics and lots of structural descriptions and stress abilities.

@ProFryan : What is the status on the cofferdam between the spillway and substation?  Doesn't appear any progress has been made, I'd have thought it would have been a higher priority, but later photos don't even show equipment in the area, other than the barge assembly.
View Quote

Leme shake the grapes and see what shakes out.

1. Every organization is planning on this thing failing before summer.

2. If it doesnt fail, 2 things will be mandatory:

2.a, main spillway stays functional

2.b, no megastorm. ( more than ~7 days of 1 inch a day plus 5 inches on any random day)

3. ( DWR cant pre fuck any further bits of this)

( pre fuck is a propriatary term I created in refrence to a previous Boss of mine who would hand me projects, pre fucked)
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:28:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Trackhoe on a barge, floating beneath the tallest dam in America, digging the broken remains of a very large spillway.
Lake is full, it's raining and the whole facility is governed and ran by what appears to be idiots.

Wonder what that pays per hour?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:30:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I missed a few days (75 pages or so).  It looks like things are a bit less intense, though still jacked up.

did they let the people back into town?

did anyone post a link to the WSJ articles?  There was a front page picture, I think an accompanying article a few pages in, and a write up from the editorial board in the back of the front section.  I think maybe Wednesday's paper.  I can dig out links if it hasn't been posted yet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:32:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Leme shake the grapes and see what shakes out.1. Every organization is planning on this thing failing before summer.

2.b, no megastorm. ( more than ~7 days of 1 inch a day plus 5 inches on any random day)

( pre fuck is a propriatary term I created in refrence to a previous Boss of mine who would hand me projects, pre fucked)
View Quote

That sure shows a heap of optimism!

Do they have a poll on when it fails?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:34:03 AM EDT
[#10]
inflow back up to 45k
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:34:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
inflow back up to 45k
View Quote
Is that bad?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Trackhoe on a barge, floating beneath the tallest dam in America, digging the broken remains of a very large spillway.
Lake is full, it's raining and the whole facility is governed and ran by what appears to be idiots.

View Quote

I wouldn't do it for less than $10K an hour.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:35:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

A Lot.

I'd have my pfd on.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:37:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That sure shows a heap of optimism!

Do they have a poll on when it fails?
View Quote

Earlier I predicted that page 333 will hold that event.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:37:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A Lot.

I'd have my pfd on.
View Quote

WTF?
Why don't they go back to calling them Life Jackets.

Maybe I need to bring that up with the Donald....
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:40:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably some sort of quadruple hazard pay I would imagine. Union? Right? They finally realized how fucked they are and are desperate to get the turbines flowing so they can drain the whole dam. I wonder how long they will continue to listen to whoever is in there told you so-ing the shit out of them right now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:40:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is that bad?
View Quote

If it gets to where it was last weekend it could be a significant problem, but so far it looks to be under control.

IMHO it's up to the weather and snowpack melt now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:41:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

WTF?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Lot.

I'd have my pfd on.

WTF?

Because they're more like a vest and then there are some that go in front and around your neck and not really a vest and soon it was like the assless chaps thing and they said fuck it...it's a device.  A fucking personal flotation device.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:48:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is that bad?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
inflow back up to 45k
Is that bad?

No.  Up to 100kcfs they can match with the damaged spillway.

Over 100kcfs and the dam will begin to fill ( ie act as a flood control dam)

They have some 44 ft of rise to get to where they were last week.

Last week they were seeing flows of 190kcfs for a short duration.

Round numbers: 1/3 ft per hour rise for every 60kfs over the outflow rate. ( lot of variables there, but close enough for talking purposes, IMHO)

I think the show is over unless something else goes south on them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:49:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

A Lot.

I'd have my pfd on.
View Quote

Pre-fucked device. Good luck, Pro.
ETA: lake level only dropped .1 ft. in the last hour. Smallest drop I've seen since it started going down.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:49:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is that bad?
View Quote
Well it isn't good... But I wouldn't call it bad yet.

Level of the lake is getting lower and lower which means it can absorb more water.

Water is flowing out currently at 70k cubic feet per second. (cfs)

Water is flowing in at 45k cfs.  Which is higher than it has been but not that bad.  Just means the level of the lake won't drop quite as fast...  The inflow has to get higher than the outflow for the lake level to start raising again.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:58:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't know where the idea that they are making a cofferdam came from.  Think someone suggested it and other people just assumed it was right.  Did we have a real source on that?

Because I don't think they are doing that...  they may have prepped an access point in case they have to do that... but so far as I have seen the only plan they have announced for the area is clearing a channel through the debris.  And why would you be doing that while dumping what amounts to a bunch of debris behind you... making your work futile? 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:02:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't know where the idea that they are making a cofferdam came from.  Think someone suggested it and other people just assumed it was right.  Did we have a real source on that?

Because I don't think they are doing that...  they may have prepped an access point in case they have to do that... but so far as I have seen the only plan they have announced for the area is clearing a channel through the debris.  And why would you be doing that while dumping what amounts to a bunch of debris behind you... making your work futile? 
View Quote

The cofferdam remarks are a joke. They are making fun of Oroville Bob, the disinformation guy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:03:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Earlier I predicted that page 333 will hold that event.
View Quote

Great Avatar OP!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:10:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well it isn't good... But I wouldn't call it bad yet.

Level of the lake is getting lower and lower which means it can absorb more water.

Water is flowing out currently at 70k cubic feet per second. (cfs)

Water is flowing in at 45k cfs.  Which is higher than it has been but not that bad.  Just means the level of the lake won't drop quite as fast...  The inflow has to get higher than the outflow for the lake level to start raising again.
View Quote

Uh oh, the voltage is down to 13.4  
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:26:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Socal rain is gobbling up fire engines.

Sink hole on freeway
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:36:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'll jump in on page 211... as an engineer for the company with all that yellow equipment...

Thank you all for all the awesome photos and information. I've shared numerous photos/quotes from this thread at work.

View Quote

That is a nice looking Komatsu excavator on that barge.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:36:42 AM EDT
[#28]
You don't see that every day.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:39:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:51:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Leme shake the grapes and see what shakes out.1. Every organization is planning on this thing failing before summer.

View Quote

Wait...

WHAT is going to fail???
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:51:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Don't believe there were any voids beneath the spillway, when it was built.
After years of neglect ymmv.
Corners of concrete chip fairly easily. When the slab fell into the washed out area beneath it, it probably didn't fall straight down.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:57:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:04:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Charter cable has been down all day and finally got caught up on this thread, big thanks to m1-Ed, moo and three dog for the member ship
And others saying good choice, you guys rock

I have some weather tidbits to update in a bit off our local weather guy, I'm glad to see the situation calming down, snow levels have remained low and even when raining up here precip has been very light
Rivers flowing through town have been tame and road flooding has stayed allmost non existent last few days
The weather forecaster for our area had a interesting tidbit for rain/snow levels for I think Tuesday

I'll update in a bit when I get back on the pc
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:10:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Wait...

WHAT is going to fail???
View Quote

My guess as to what that means is that at some point the primary spill will become totally unusable without risking total failure and the emergency spillway will again be used and with the data they have from using it last week, they don't think it will stand up to the use of that much inflow and will fail resulting in a massive release.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:18:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm pretty sure the guy that does all of my excavation work would do it for $130 an hour using someone else's equipment. He charges me $110 an hour on his own, I don't trust anyone else on my jobs but him. He can nearly undress you with a backhoe, he can't run a skid steer worth a shit though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:20:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I just noticed something and don't wanna draw, just wondering if others see it too.

In this photo, where you see the concrete fell in the corner near the wall, do you see the rectangular section missing from the bottom side of the concrete, about a foot wide?    Water wouldn't have made the edges that square.
http://i.imgur.com/Ya8uaKg.jpg

If you assume that is a rectangular channel perpendicular to the ramp,  the guy in the red is standing over where it would be on the other side, which is a bit after where the erosion started, IMO, creating the space for the spillway to fall into.

http://i.imgur.com/NrnPTMK.jpg

Let me know if I accidentally ingested drugs when envisioning this.
View Quote
  What I'm not seeing is  construction joints like this,

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:29:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
  What I'm not seeing is  construction joints like this,

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/pavement/images/t504030/p504030b.gif
View Quote

Not sure lacing large sections of concrete like in your image was a factor many years ago. I could be wrong?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:53:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
 At one time my friends and I referred to divorced women ad pre-fucked.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:56:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not sure lacing large sections of concrete like in your image was a factor many years ago. I could be wrong?
View Quote
There is not any expansion dowels in the joints that I can see. The panels remind me of precast concrete only connected by a ledge/lip on the top. This is why it breaks straight at the joints.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:01:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Wait...

WHAT is going to fail???
View Quote

The price of tea, in china.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:14:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Thread is like ice road truckers. People saying "someone might die!" every two seconds but nothing actually happens. Not saying I'm hoping for the dam to burst or anything, it's just kinda fun how engrossed the site seems to be with what'll prolly be a total non event.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:34:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few thoughts. One, much like the military, you never underestimate your competition.  Two, it could fit in the bucket of the products I work on.  Three, the math associated with that excavator on the barge is delicious.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:55:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The price of tea, in china.
View Quote

You planning to head up there and livestream this weekend? Just wondering.
Thanks for what you've done so far!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:03:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Thread is like ice road truckers. People saying "someone might die!" every two seconds but nothing actually happens. Not saying I'm hoping for the dam to burst or anything, it's just kinda fun how engrossed the site seems to be with what'll prolly be a total non event.
View Quote

You clearly haven't read the thread then if you are calling it a "total non event."
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:17:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Charter cable has been down all day and finally got caught up on this thread, big thanks to m1-Ed, moo and three dog for the member ship
And others saying good choice, you guys rock

I have some weather tidbits to update in a bit off our local weather guy, I'm glad to see the situation calming down, snow levels have remained low and even when raining up here precip has been very light
Rivers flowing through town have been tame and road flooding has stayed allmost non existent last few days
The weather forecaster for our area had a interesting tidbit for rain/snow levels for I think Tuesday

I'll update in a bit when I get back on the pc
View Quote

Sorry about the cable bro. Just stay safe.
And thank you.

Ed
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I was born in Centralia and raised in Winlock until 7th grade (1990). Not related to your conversation at all, just thought I'd share since I saw you were from there!
View Quote

We have a nearby town named Centralia here in PA. It is, or was I should say, a mining town too. We used to take our 4x4's there all the time and explore.

It's an extremely interesting place. You should look it up

Long story short, the town dump was on a coal seam. Trash fire lit the seam and it's been burning underground for years. Town was eventually evacuated and closed off.

Highway that ran through the town was re-routed around it but you can still get out on it. Looks like a scene from one of those earthquake movies
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:28:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Since the two are related I'm putting both in the same post.

WWace - My thinking on the ski-jump is based on what Piratepaste40 is mentioning above...they will probably have a very short amount of time this year to actually do repairs to the main spillway this year, if at all.   If they only have a few months where the water level can be managed < 850' by the hydroelectric portion of the dam, perhaps they can build the ski jump to allow it to still be functional with less damage down stream until a new spillway can be built in a new location, assuming the current spillway is beyond repair.  My guess is that it could take the better part of a year or more to design and build a new spill way.  Likely they'd need to build a coffer dam in the current lake at low levels to provide them a dry work site to do the major excavations needed.  If the new spillway were to go in near the parking lot, remember that the bed rock (or whatever we're calling the rock) is right near the surface, meaning some SIGNIFICANT excavation would be required to get to down to the level needed for flood control above 850'.

To me the ski jump would be something to buy time if it is determined that the main spill way would be too fragile to continue to use long term in its current state.   I guess it could be a viable long term plan if they removed the remainder of the original spillway and allowed the water to splash down on the newly exposed rock that was opened up after the failure we've seen.  Based on the latest flows it seems like it has somewhat stabilized, but we won't know until they shut down flow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
why build ski jump in main spillway? you think it would be better to build a gizmo rather than working to repair the structure?

Aux spillway lets you do whatever you want as you please without depending solely on the Espill or working in the spillway with the gates under a full head. Fuck that

FBHO because it needs to be said

Quoted:
When they get to the point of rebuilding the spillway, is it reasonable to think they can effect repairs that will make the spillway usable in one season? Not sure how much time they have to prep and stage materials, through July or August perhaps when inflow is low enough for the power plant outlets to maintain level for the rest of the season?

Is a water bridge a viable alternative? Would it be viable for an interim solution until a solid bed is constructed? Is it even reasonable for the engineering plan and approvals to be completed by mid summer?

Since the two are related I'm putting both in the same post.

WWace - My thinking on the ski-jump is based on what Piratepaste40 is mentioning above...they will probably have a very short amount of time this year to actually do repairs to the main spillway this year, if at all.   If they only have a few months where the water level can be managed < 850' by the hydroelectric portion of the dam, perhaps they can build the ski jump to allow it to still be functional with less damage down stream until a new spillway can be built in a new location, assuming the current spillway is beyond repair.  My guess is that it could take the better part of a year or more to design and build a new spill way.  Likely they'd need to build a coffer dam in the current lake at low levels to provide them a dry work site to do the major excavations needed.  If the new spillway were to go in near the parking lot, remember that the bed rock (or whatever we're calling the rock) is right near the surface, meaning some SIGNIFICANT excavation would be required to get to down to the level needed for flood control above 850'.

To me the ski jump would be something to buy time if it is determined that the main spill way would be too fragile to continue to use long term in its current state.   I guess it could be a viable long term plan if they removed the remainder of the original spillway and allowed the water to splash down on the newly exposed rock that was opened up after the failure we've seen.  Based on the latest flows it seems like it has somewhat stabilized, but we won't know until they shut down flow.
My Aux Spillway plan is extremely feasible. It does require a lot of blasting but they are remarkably fast with modern rock drills. North of here they straightened a hwy by blasting right thru a hill about that size in one summer. 

They wouldn't even need to fully line it with concrete. Just excavate and clear an adequate channel of overburden so it doesnt end up in The watershed. They could cofferdam below the main spillway exit and fully dredge it out in safety. Lots of work but it would leave the project with an asset and another safety device. As the weir would remain functionality their is no need to spend more money on it to direct or armor that hill.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:58:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Someone needs to go back to chainsaw certification training.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16682048_1252014738218965_5424670373177812340_n.jpg?oh=45049e12c85c10f03672524bb4f9a165&oe=59480C29
Greenwood corpsmembers clear brush near the main Oroville Dam spillway.
They'll then construct a sandbag staircase on the hillside to allow easier access by engineers.
Other corpsmembers continuing to assist at Chico's Silver Dollar fairgrounds, at the Chico airport and other locations.

Someone needs to go back to chainsaw certification training.

I'm betting they winched that tree back in the opposite direction of the spillway. Probably cut it that way then used brute force to rip it down. I'm sure they weren't taking any chances of it falling the wrong direction
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:59:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's been stated in previous pages hat as the level drops, they're simply not capable of sustaining the same outflow rate. I'm just a dumb office geek, but I bet you can't make water flow out of a gate at the same rate if there's less pressure behind the water.
View Quote

Eta: wrong quote
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top