Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 298
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#1]
At 1:34 they are using some sort of slurry on the RCC. Haven't seen that one yet.
Oroville Spillway Update August 22, 2017
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Another good dam video from Juan. It's from the 18th but don't remember seeing it back then.
Oroville Update! 18 August "Plunge Pool Details"
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At 1:34 they are using some sort of slurry on the RCC. Haven't seen that one yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MROgrbHjOvg
View Quote
Interesting. Some sore of precoating to make the RCC adhere to the rock?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Another good dam video from Juan. It's from the 18th but don't remember seeing it back then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK-A0eTuu3s
View Quote
I missed that one also.

I hadn't noticed before that they had built a road over the emergency spillway.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I missed that one also.

I hadn't noticed before that they had built a road over the emergency spillway.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35314/Emergency_spillway_edited-1-288360.JPG
View Quote
Wonder what would happen if they had to use the emergency spillway with that road still there?

Road quickly washed away then no big deal?

Funnel water towards spillway destroying it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like they still have a boatload of work to do. I expected them to be a lot further along by now.

Going to be interesting to see how well the RCC in the middle section holds up it they have to do the kind of flows they did earlier this year.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks like they still have a boatload of work to do. I expected them to be a lot further along by now.

Going to be interesting to see how well the RCC in the middle section holds up it they have to do they kind of flows they did earlier this year.
View Quote
Before this last overflow, how long had it been since the overflow had seen any water?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Before this last overflow, how long had it been since the overflow had seen any water?
View Quote
I need to catch up on this thread
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
It had been several years since they used the spillway, but they were in one of their drought cycles. California gets a lot of water in non-drought years. They will probably have to open the spillway gate before this coming winter is over. How much and for how long is the only question if they do.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Going to be interesting to see how well the RCC in the middle section holds up it they have to do the kind of flows they did earlier this year.
View Quote
Can they get this finished before Winter?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Can they get this finished before Winter?
View Quote
That is the plan. So far, every report has said they are on schedule. Although not sure what work is expected to be complete. They still need to come back and remove a layer of the RCC to install reinforced concrete in those sections next year. Filling up Croyle Canyon will be a major undertaking and not sure if they had planned on doing that this year anyway. There is also the issue of armoring the E-spillway downstream area and completing the secant wall.

Not sure how the roads across the canyon will fare once the rain starts. Seems to me that their stability would be in question as the areas upstream of the roads fill with water and begin to undercut them.

Perhaps others will bring up those questions at the meeting tomorrow. That is after the more "enlightened" reporters ask about environmental impact!

But it's still an incredibly complex logistics project that they seem to be tackling quite well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm rather more worried about the greening area on the damn's face than anything going on with the spillway construction. I mean - sure - right now it's not a hazard with the water levels being what they currently are, but when the water level gets back to the spillway height?.... All it takes is one little leak in the right place & this whole thing can still go down...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wonder what would happen if they had to use the emergency spillway with that road still there?

Road quickly washed away then no big deal?

Funnel water towards spillway destroying it?
View Quote
After what happened the last time they used the E-spillway I very much doubt they will use it again in the manner that they did.  They will use the broken main spillway regardless of what damage it does to the RCC in the canyon.  The only way I could see them using the E-spillway is if the retaining wall on the main spillway failed and water was horse shoeing its way back up to the gates.

In Juan's video they have outflow of 6k with only an inflow of 1k.  So they are still drawing the reservoir down.  

Question I have is what is their level goal for the reservoir going into the winter.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't believe I have been following this situation for over 6 months and I don't even live in California or nearby.  I think I have read nearly every page and watched most videos, especially from those from Juan Browne.  Hope their efforts are successful.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Juans last video was pretty informative.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is this spillway and different from the last one? I think they should have built a gigantic glory hole instead so the water is always equalized to the bottom river below.
View Quote
I'm just some guy on the internet, but I'd say this spillway will be a significantly stronger design and in much better condition (at least for a few years, anyway) than the one it is replacing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:32:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

IIRC, that photo is of the "Unauthorized / Miscommunication / Woops!" blast.   They blew up a structurally sound section of upper spillway due to somebody getting confused.   I'd have thought somebody might have noticed and said something before the explosives were detonated, but all that drilling didn't seem to alert anybody.

I'd also think they'd have several stout wooden ramps by now so the equipment could sit on the spillway slope and be level, as well as the break tents.   I'd be all messed up on balance after spending a long day on a 15° slope being 'new level'.
View Quote
Not to mention it's bound to get hot in all of that. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:40:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Oroville Update 23 August "Fill the Upper Plunge Pool"

Latest from Juan
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The CAT stickers will just say XXXX CAT on them and some will say CAT RENTAL but not all, even in my area we have delt with huge national companies and for some its cheaper and easier to rent the equipment local then it is to haul it across the country to a jobsite.

there are a few things at the damn that have my fingerprints on them

the contractor is getting equipment from far away as NC.

CAT got with them and set up a nice program with them and the dealers nationwide are all helping on it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are they working 24/7? If they are, then yes. Cat or the contractor would have a certified tech on hand 24/7. Chances are a few actually. I've seen their fuel and lube truck wandering around.   Plus the contractor probably has I would guess at least 10-12 mechanics on staff and CAT probably has one guy each shift on hand for electronic diagnostics, parts ordering and more refined things. Where the contractors Mechanics would handle everything else.

Also respectfully to komatsu and other equipment manufacturers. CAT rental is the only company in the US that could come up with that amount of iron that fast. If you think the contractor owns all that, there's no way. Not dollar figure wise. But being able to mobilize it that fast.

Tampers on excavators have been around forever. Neat attachments. Used a lot in pipeline work.
That CAT Rental branch has been asking for spares that can be leased to them from other dealers nationwide, lots of heavy equipment is being moved into that area from all over.
the backup equipment has backups
I haven't been looking closely but the pictures, but I haven't seen any Cat or other rental companies names on them.  The companies doing the majority of the work are huge, like Kiewit, which I know has a large fleet of equipment.  Same with the companies that did a lot of the early excavation.  But I'm sure they are RPOing a lot of the equipment from CAT and the sate of Cali is paying for their new equipment.
The CAT stickers will just say XXXX CAT on them and some will say CAT RENTAL but not all, even in my area we have delt with huge national companies and for some its cheaper and easier to rent the equipment local then it is to haul it across the country to a jobsite.

there are a few things at the damn that have my fingerprints on them

the contractor is getting equipment from far away as NC.

CAT got with them and set up a nice program with them and the dealers nationwide are all helping on it
I see a cat rental sticker in the pic below right above the numbers.   That is what I was talking about.  I know we can't remove those stickers or put our logo on until we have purchased the equipment.  That is what I meant.  Not calling you out either.

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I see a cat rental sticker in the pic below right above the numbers.   That is what I was talking about.  I know we can't remove those stickers or put our logo on until we have purchased the equipment.  That is what I meant.  Not calling you out either.

http://i.imgur.com/9R9nM2Q.jpg
View Quote
For us the rental store has those style stickers on them, from the rental at the main branches (psd,Equipment) they just have the dealer sticker on them.
it is in a diffrent style from the normal one we stick on a sold outright one but isnt like the regular cat rental ones

It gets confusing as fuck sometimes when stuff comes in and it looks like its a sold machine but its a rental
most are long term rental units that have that sticker im talking about on them
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Dang, they actually listened to Juan and changed the camera angles!
Lower Spillway Cam

All hail Juan Brown.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:51:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Oroville Spillway Update August 24, 2017
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Lower Spillway Cam

All hail Juan Brown.
View Quote
Cameras are not working now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lower Spillway Cam

All hail Juan Brown.
working for me
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Not in my IE, I'll try chrome and see.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Worked in Chrome, weird.
Like the new view!
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks like they're starting to pour the first wall on the upper spillway.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not in my IE, I'll try chrome and see.  
View Quote
Worked for me in IE.   But it did take almost a minute to start playing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Oroville Spillway Construction Tour 24 Aug. Part I
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice update.  Was waiting for it.

Sounds like he has a ton of footage from the tour.  I hope he can get it out soon
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#34]
These should be good.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#35]
CAL DWR web site also has the Kiewit time lapse videos Juan mentioned. I hadn't really looked for how to get to that particular playlist format until Juan mentioned it in the video.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm guessing that this is going to be the most photographically documented project of all time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 12:07:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Album updated.

I'm not going to be able to update it for a little while.  I will update it once I am able to again.

In the mean time this is where I get the pictures.

https://pixel-ca-dwr.photoshelter.com/galleries/C0000OxvlgXg3yfg/G00003YCcmDTx48Y/Oroville-Spillway-Damage
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 12:40:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#39]
The new webcam views are nice but like Juan said, it would be nice to see what's going on down in the main plunge pool area.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I suspect the best we're going to get is the stills and video updates. Cameras 3 and 4 cover the area but they are time lapse and only updated every 3 or so days.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

IIRC, that photo is of the "Unauthorized / Miscommunication / Woops!" blast.   They blew up a structurally sound section of upper spillway due to somebody getting confused.   I'd have thought somebody might have noticed and said something before the explosives were detonated, but all that drilling didn't seem to alert anybody.

I'd also think they'd have several stout wooden ramps by now so the equipment could sit on the spillway slope and be level, as well as the break tents.   I'd be all messed up on balance after spending a long day on a 15° slope being 'new level'.
View Quote
Holy crap. So all that had to be rebuilt.  It's the full length of new build. How do people miscommunication get confused about blasting that close to new and weakened structures? Ya think someone would have to permit that with signatures up the chain? Ya I can't imagine working sloped all day tying rebar. Clearly safety isn't s concern. 
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Holy crap. So all that had to be rebuilt.  It's the full length of new build. How do people miscommunication get confused about blasting that close to new and weakened structures? Ya think someone would have to permit that with signatures up the chain? Ya I can't imagine working sloped all day tying rebar. Clearly safety isn't s concern. 
View Quote
According to Juan they are accident free so far.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would imagine they can be clear that safety is not getting hurt, not blindly following a bunch of rules. I would further imagine that, with the money they have available, they can replace anyone at anytime.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ya gotta admit that the Cat support infrastructure is pretty amazing. I'm a backup driver for a neighbor that does nightly parts delivery between stores in New England, every night.
If you need a widget anywhere in NE, and the part is on-the-shelf, anywhere in NE or the warehouse in PA, you can have it at 7 am tomorrow.

I've even seen a store strip parts off a new machine, for 'instant' service.

It's truely amazing what Caterpillar can do for support. All it takes is $$. Lots of $$$.

"If you can hold it in one hand, it costs $100. Hold it in 2 hands, cost is $1000, cannot carry it, it's just expensive. And you can have it NOW."
View Quote
We own a CAT 262 and it is a fantastic machine. Easily the best of its class. It has the Perkins diesel and from what I've heard, they were better with the Perkins than with the CAT engine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Juan with a video on Houston.

Hurricane Harvey in Houston Addicks and Barker Reservoirs Update
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I was going to say: "If y'all look up in Houston, and see the Mighty Luscombe overhead, you're FUCKED! Proper Fucked!"
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I was going to say: "If y'all look up in Houston, and see the Mighty Luscombe overhead, you're FUCKED! Proper Fucked!"
View Quote
Ha
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Forest fire upstream of the dam. You can see the smoke rising up in the lower spillway cam.

Feather Falls Fire

ETA: Construction Far Right and Overview camera angles.

Addition to ETA: They have the upper spillway camera moved around to point toward the fire:
Here
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Juan site tour Part 2
Part II Oroville Spillway Construction Tour 2017
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Juan site tour Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU4AGuQ5gMo
View Quote
Another really good video.
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top