Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 298
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 12:19:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 12:25:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Oroville Spillway Flyover November 1, 2017, 5:30 p.m.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 12:27:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Oroville Spillway Flyover Compilation: May – October
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 12:53:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 12:55:38 AM EDT
[#5]
350000 yards of of rcc.. never mind the rest... That's a cubic acre of concrete
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I dearly hope that once they are finished-finshed next year, that their emergency funds allotted for a GPR unit that is going to be towed over every square inch of concrete each spring when things dry off.   I also hope the logs for the new sub-spillway drainage system are networked for remote monitoring.  I can sadly see them falling back to old lazy and cheap habits in 3 years, once the microscope is no longer on them, either the governor won't fund them fully, or the director isn't using all the money for emergencies instead of preventative maintenance.
View Quote
Nah, go back to chain dragging every 5 years.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think it would be jaw dropping.  From what ProfRyan and blancolirio have stated when looking at it, even after they had been there before and knew what to expect, they used some shocking adjectives and adverbs to describe awe, amazing, and huge.

On that bottom photo in my last post, those little black dots on the lower spillway are work men.  The bottom to top is 1000 yd, and north to south, or wall to wall, is 180ft / 60 yards wide, wider than a 6 lane in each direction interstate, or the max effective/accurate range of a bespoke handgun in a great shooter's hand.

I dearly hope that once they are finished-finshed next year, that their emergency funds allotted for a GPR unit that is going to be towed over every square inch of concrete each spring when things dry off.   I also hope the logs for the new sub-spillway drainage system are networked for remote monitoring.  I can sadly see them falling back to old lazy and cheap habits in 3 years, once the microscope is no longer on them, either the governor won't fund them fully, or the director isn't using all the money for emergencies instead of preventative maintenance.
View Quote
That one whitish section, near the bottom, looks to be about the size of a Walmart super center parking lot. Maybe a little bigger.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Juan is back
Oroville Update Phase 1 DONE!!
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 2:32:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 3:00:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Good to see this part done but still pist that nobody will ever be held accountable for the piss poor maintenance that was part of what caused all of this.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Guess focus will now shift to the secant cutoff wall still under construction.

Link Posted: 11/4/2017 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#12]

It's huge. From the bottom, you can't see any of the top half.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Northern Sierras 24-hour precipitation
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/precip_maps/ns_1212precip.html

Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, haven't been here in a month or so. That's f'ing Awesome progress!!! Did they get all the hydro turbines and tunnels working? How about other bypass tunnel at the base?
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 3:56:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#17]
From looking at the lower spillway live cam, it appears that the lower access bridge across the canyon is already starting to collapse. That would be the one that is mid way up the reinforced concrete section on the right. I suspected that the temp roads over the canyon may get damaged or washed out by the rain, but didn't expect it to happen so fast. Looks like they finished up on the spillway just in time.

Rather curious about the plans as the roads collapse and material washes into the river. Perhaps dredge as necessary during the winter months so they can keep river water levels low enough to use the power plant and bypass line for level control?
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I can't see any of their livestreams with the plugins I have.  Do you have a screencap or photo, or even a photo showing where you are talking about?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From looking at the lower spillway live cam, it appears that the lower access bridge across the canyon is already starting to collapse. That would be the one that is mid way up the reinforced concrete section on the right. I suspected that the temp roads over the canyon may get damaged or washed out by the rain, but didn't expect it to happen so fast. Looks like they finished up on the spillway just in time.

Rather curious about the plans as the roads collapse and material washes into the river. Perhaps dredge as necessary during the winter months so they can keep river water levels low enough to use the power plant and bypass line for level control?
I can't see any of their livestreams with the plugins I have.  Do you have a screencap or photo, or even a photo showing where you are talking about?
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#22]
5 days without an update!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!

Say it isn't so!
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:46:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
5 days without an update!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!

Say it isn't so!
View Quote
well... I am continuing to add pics to the albums...

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

I just am now scaling back on my posts here until something significant happens. Like... water being discharged over the spillway... or maybe if things over at the emergency spillway really get going...
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

well... I am continuing to add pics to the albums...

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

I just am now scaling back on my posts here until something significant happens. Like... water being discharged over the spillway... or maybe if things over at the emergency spillway really get going...
View Quote
Yeah not much going on now. 
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks like the Lower spillway cam is shut down.

I hasn't worked for a couple days.

I wonder it it would be possible to get a mod to change the settings on this thread so that it doesn't drop into the archives while nothing is happening?
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Done.  
View Quote
Thank You!
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Done.  
View Quote
Thank you
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Done.  
View Quote
Awesome!
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Done.  
View Quote
Thanks!
I've followed every post since the OP!
Was really intense when the mandatory evacuation occurred.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Looks like the Lower spillway cam is shut down.

I hasn't worked for a couple days.
View Quote
it's working again
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Done.  
View Quote
Awesome!
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Done.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, that can be done.

@thebeekeeper1 @Aimless

If they feel it is worthy, anyway.   I foresee this thread not getting much for replies until the snow comes and starts to melt, or on completion of cutoff wall, over a month away yet.
Done.  
You are such a pushover...but thanks..
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I noticed when they were finishing up on November 1st that there was a small section of the wall missing at the very bottom on the right side (facing the spillway)

I wonder why they left that piece incomplete?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I noticed when they were finishing up on November 1st that there was a small section of the wall missing at the very bottom on the right side (facing the spillway)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35314/training_wall_edited-1-362954.JPG
View Quote
Don't know why they would do that.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#40]
At some point they built a different form.

From Oct 26th I believe

Attachment Attached File

That part of the old diffuser (or what ever it is called) was pretty heavily damaged.

Maybe they decided that there was not a good way to tie into it and just left a gap.

Any water that overflowed through there would bypass the end of the spillway and to directly to the river.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:57:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35314/training_wall_edited-1-362954.JPG  
In one of the videos posted about the time work finished up they were working on that and had a form up pouring concrete to fill that gap.  I think I might have seen a photo of the work being done there in one of the photo sets as well.

It struck me as odd but looking at early photos of the work the gap has always been there and repairing that damaged wall panel instead of replacing it must have been the plan all along.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Oroville Spillways Phase 2 Update November 13, 2017
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#44]
This video has an interesting point about the weir being extended from the current E-spillway all the way across the parking lot to the hillside and show excavation for that starting to take place.  Supposedly the weir will be dug all the way down to bedrock.

I always thought the small wall they had in place was a problem and there was seepage underneath the original wall.

Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This video has an interesting point about the weir being extended from the current E-spillway all the way across the parking lot to the hillside and show excavation for that starting to take place.  Supposedly the weir will be dug all the way down to bedrock.

I always thought the small wall they had in place was a problem and there was seepage underneath the original wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64FkOyoxZ0M
View Quote
The person that made that video is a doom and gloomer.

Are any of her points valid?

I might have a different viewpoint if I lived downstream.

@ProFryan are you confident of the repairs? How do you feel about the situation?
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 1:41:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
"putting down water for dust!  wonder where they got the water!"

Great reporting!  
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 4:23:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Blasting over by the E spillway.

Link Posted: 11/16/2017 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Still the best dam thread I've ever seen, keep up the good work y'all
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Fantastic job by private contractors with the efficiency killing and restraining regulations somewhat bypassed!!!!

Thanks to all here who have done such a great job providing info and updates!

Link Posted: 11/16/2017 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Great reporting!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great reporting!  
She's also worried about using a ruler to take measurements instead of a laser.

I've seen the same thing happen at other work sites where remote monitoring is being used. There will always be someone being very vocal, commenting on every action, and deciding that everyone on the project is a doing something wrong. They're also the ones submitting their "coaching reports" and saying how much everyone appreciated their advice. It's one of the times when you just smile, nod your head, and move on.
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top