BCM
User Panel

Page / 298
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#1]
14001 OWNAGE!
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#2]
So what date in the Spring, will they start back on phase II of the spillway rebuild?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:18:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Oroville Spillways Phase 2 Update Mid-February 2018
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Oroville Spillways Phase 2 Update February 20, 2018
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Oroville 22 Feb 2018 Update
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Cal DWR has redesigned their web site. Anyone have a link on the new web page for updates and videos?
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#8]
they're starting the RCC at the secant cutoff wall

http://www.parks.ca.gov/live/lakeorovillesra_emergency_spillway
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks.
Looks like the OP, ProfRyan is gone for good.
He left an Awesome Thread.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
they're starting the RCC at the secant cutoff wall

http://www.parks.ca.gov/live/lakeorovillesra_emergency_spillway
View Quote
They have has some rain since yesterday.

Looks like the forecast is calling for more rain over the weekend and into next week.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Oroville Spillways Phase 2 Update Late February 2018
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Not having a sub sucks. I missed this thread. I missed Juan. I missed this damn dam.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm amazed that they've already used all the rock piles that was washed out/dredged and need to haul more in.

I'm troubled by the fact they used 'incompetent rock' to make their concrete as well, but as long as it was already fractured and not smooth, shouldn't be an issue.
View Quote
If they ran it through a crusher and screened it for aggregate, the majority of incompetent rock will be screened out as dust.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Kind of hard to follow this video; its too disjointed. There is little to no overall perspective of general progress. What are they trying to accomplish below the dentils on the main spillway?

Juan gives a much better explanation of the current sequence of events.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#17]
They have moved an insane amount of dirt and rock.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They are getting to 'competent rock' below the dragon's teeth and building a smooth ramp there, as the rock below the teeth was eroding and nearly undercutting on left side (viewed from river).   They are leaving the beat up/scarred Dragon's Teeth for a reminder of how bad things can go, the last I heard.  Saving that memento is pretty cool, at least.

They are reinforcing the base of the spillway, and adding a solid outflow ramp out into the river and maybe a flow diversion system to reduce riverbed cutting/burying when spillway is in use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kind of hard to follow this video; its too disjointed. There is little to no overall perspective of general progress. What are they trying to accomplish below the dentils on the main spillway?

Juan gives a much better explanation of the current sequence of events.
They are getting to 'competent rock' below the dragon's teeth and building a smooth ramp there, as the rock below the teeth was eroding and nearly undercutting on left side (viewed from river).   They are leaving the beat up/scarred Dragon's Teeth for a reminder of how bad things can go, the last I heard.  Saving that memento is pretty cool, at least.

They are reinforcing the base of the spillway, and adding a solid outflow ramp out into the river and maybe a flow diversion system to reduce riverbed cutting/burying when spillway is in use.
... Great video synopsis, thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Ran out of space in part 4.  part 5 will be here.

Part 5
Part 4
Part 3
Part 2
Part 1
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Oroville Spillways Phase 2 Update Early March 2018
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like they have had more rain.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Oroville Update! 12-16 March 2018 + Crosswind Landing
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like a good bit of water standing on the RCC with a nice convective build up in the background

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Is it just me or does anyone else think it would be a blast to go 4-wheeling around that site?
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's probably illegal to disturb the dirt in CA.  Only approved roads, otherwise you may run over some nearly extinct salamander or something.
View Quote
This was the thread where I found out the State of California itself contains materials known to the State of California to cause cancer.  It's made of serpentine.

California is illegal to possess in California.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Oroville Spillways Phase 2 Update Mid-March 2018
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This was the thread where I found out the State of California itself contains materials known to the State of California to cause cancer.  It's made of serpentine.

California is illegal to possess in California.
View Quote
It's the state that gives itself cancer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks like they got rained out today

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Lake is up to 786 feet, up 50 feet in the past 2 weeks.

How's the winter/snowmelt looking there on the gorund?
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I thought this was a neat video. I never thought about all the trees that got removed.

Wolfpack Wood Recycling: From Crisis to Clean-up at the Oroville Dam (Morbark Owner)
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't know when these were put up on Google Earth, but I'm interested to see an updated sat. shot with all the work they've completed.

" />

Link Posted: 3/30/2018 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't know when these were put up on Google Earth, but I'm interested to see an updated sat. shot with all the work they've completed.

https://i.imgur.com/2QOgsYz.png" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/2QOgsYz.png

https://i.imgur.com/QnZaiqr.png

https://i.imgur.com/ee2PJSz.png

https://i.imgur.com/WDZG4m1.png
View Quote
cool!
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Oroville Spillways Phase 2 Update Late March 2018
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#37]
KFBK Radio in Sacto reported this afternoon that the incoming Pineapple Express may get the water up onto the spillway
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
KFBK Radio in Sacto reported this afternoon that the incoming Pineapple Express may get the water up onto the spillway
View Quote
https://orovillenewsonly.blog/2018/04/03/update-on-lake-oroville-operations-potential-use-of-the-main-spillway-next-week-due-to-storms/
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Gonna be the thread to watch again this weekend

Hopefully no water flows under that new RCC
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Isn't the max level 900 feet or so?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#42]
New video from Juan.

Oroville Update 4 April 18 "The Calm Before the Storm"
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Gotcha.
I should have remembered that, followed this since page 1, day 1.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
813 is where it will touch the normal spillway gates.  900.5 is the top of the emergency/never use spillway, NOT the "auxillary spillway".  You screwed up horribly if water goes over the emergency spillway on an earthen dam.

They should be running the power house and river valve outlets all out, the water shouldn't have risen close to 800 to keep the run-up to the spillway gates dry.  That would allow them to pave it and work on the spillway gates immediately so they could drain it faster without worries of scouring/cavitating the dirt lead in cut.   Did fine all winter, but now it's going to get wet, making them dry it out for a month before they can work on it.

Sadly, they ALWAYS save the water, It's a flood control dam, not a storage dam, but it's being treated like a storage dam, which is how this whole thing started, they don't learn.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't the max level 900 feet or so?
813 is where it will touch the normal spillway gates.  900.5 is the top of the emergency/never use spillway, NOT the "auxillary spillway".  You screwed up horribly if water goes over the emergency spillway on an earthen dam.

They should be running the power house and river valve outlets all out, the water shouldn't have risen close to 800 to keep the run-up to the spillway gates dry.  That would allow them to pave it and work on the spillway gates immediately so they could drain it faster without worries of scouring/cavitating the dirt lead in cut.   Did fine all winter, but now it's going to get wet, making them dry it out for a month before they can work on it.

Sadly, they ALWAYS save the water, It's a flood control dam, not a storage dam, but it's being treated like a storage dam, which is how this whole thing started, they don't learn.
Thats what Juan said adding that one of the turbines is out the others running at full capacity right now.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Just watched the video.  They didn't put the power plant to full and open the RVOS until Apr 3.   They should have been keeping it around 750 that whole time since it's not fully functional.    The good news from that vid is they did get a new water management plan to treat 830 ft as "completely full" instead of 875 ft.  That alone should negate the need for the spillway entirely now that the RVOS is operational, and when all turbines are running.

The other thing I find odd is they don't need rely/on the power, even in a very high population density state, where are they getting power from?   They only run the oroville and other dam turbines if the water is too high, what's supplying the power when the water isn't?
View Quote
PG&E ?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Just watched the video.  They didn't put the power plant to full and open the RVOS until Apr 3.   They should have been keeping it around 750 that whole time since it's not fully functional.    The good news from that vid is they did get a new water management plan to treat 830 ft as "completely full" instead of 875 ft.  That alone should negate the need for the spillway entirely now that the RVOS is operational, and when all turbines are running.

The other thing I find odd is they don't need rely/on the power, even in a very high population density state, where are they getting power from?   They only run the oroville and other dam turbines if the water is too high, what's supplying the power when the water isn't?
View Quote
The amount of power supplied by the dam is a small percentage of what they need/use. There are a lot of other dams that also supply small amounts that add up.  They also wheel power in from other states.  The topography allows hydro and wind power to be significant contributors.  Solar can also make significant contributions, but still needs subsidies to keep it operating.  The story isn't complete yet on wind power since aging and upkeep of the turbines hasn't really hit peak yet.  SoCal still has Diablo Canyon supplying cheap nuclear power and California owns a big chunk of the three reactor, Palo Verde nuclear site in Arizona.  Natural gas is still relatively cheap  so Cali isn't hurting financially from burning those dino bones.  Not sure how how much coal they use in Cali but I suspect it's quite a bit since the source is relatively close.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I didn't think that water would come up through the new stuff.
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top