Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 298
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel like there needs to be a new expression something like "watching a dam fill" to replace like watching paint dry or grass grow.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 1:19:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't matter now, it's up to the spillway gates at 816 ft, 14 or 19 more feet and they'll open the spillway.

Oroville Water Level new link, my bookmark didn't work.
View Quote
link you posted is for data from June of 2017
current data
https://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/selectQuery?station_id=ORO&sensor_num=6&dur_code=D&start_date=04/01/2018+00:00&end_date=04/06/2018+00:00&geom=
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is the link that includes outflow and inflow as with basin levels too.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/dynamicapp/QueryF?s=ORO

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#6]
It is raining pretty good in that watershed now and with the storm being warm (snow above 10K feet minimum) they will get a ton of runoff / snowmelt. The lake level will be heading up a lot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Hopefully it freezes hard up in the mountains overnight maybe slow that snow melt down a wee bit.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Forecast says it'll be raining all through tonight and tapering off tomorrow afternoon.

Temps in the 60's in Oroville but it's hard to say what it'll be up in the surrounding mountains.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Inflow has more than doubled in the past 2 hours

This is nothing like the inflow numbers we saw last year but to jump like this can't be a good sign for the next few days. ETA: if it continues to increase.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Oroville Storm Update 7 April 2018

Juan Update
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope they're working 24/7... They can still bust out alot of repairs in a few days.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Overnight update. Inflow is up quite a bit but there's still space to play with.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#15]
They'll foul it up again.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:04:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sadly, my opinion as well.  They could have easily kept the spillway dry for a year now before working on it.  No, gotta save that water, maybe the snow won't melt this year!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sadly, my opinion as well.  They could have easily kept the spillway dry for a year now before working on it.  No, gotta save that water, maybe the snow won't melt this year!
We are having a below snowfall year, up until a few weeks ago we were in drought territory.  Even with recent snowfall I think we are in the 50% range of normal. I just drove over Donner Pass last Saturday and there is not very much snow left at high elevations due rain at high elevations instead of snow.

Looks like some small snow events in the next week but every week that passes it becomes less likely of a big snow event for the Sierra.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Oroville Spillways Phase 2 Update Early April 2018
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There are several other dams not currently under construction they can fill and play dangerous with.   Trying to save a couple weeks worth of summer water isn't worth the money spent while waiting for the ground to dry again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We are having a below snowfall year, up until a few weeks ago we were in drought territory.  Even with recent snowfall I think we are in the 50% range of normal. I just drove over Donner Pass last Saturday and there is not very much snow left at high elevations due rain at high elevations instead of snow.

Looks like some small snow events in the next week but every week that passes it becomes less likely of a big snow event for the Sierra.
There are several other dams not currently under construction they can fill and play dangerous with.   Trying to save a couple weeks worth of summer water isn't worth the money spent while waiting for the ground to dry again.
No I'm not saying what they are doing is right as the other major reservoirs  in the state are in good shape regarding the pools.  I don't think there is enough snow in the high country to be worried is the direction I was going. I am a poor communicator vie written words.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Reduced outflow to 5,000 and inflows are 10-12,000.  They're tying to get to 811 to test out the spillway. Tards
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#23]
We're at about 33-45% of average snowpack but over 100% of average water levels in major reservoirs.  Probably no room for snow melt unless you could get it to Central Valley groundwater aquifers.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Just spoke with someone today about the concrete cracking on the spillway.  He says there are four inch wide cracks in some spots that can't be repaired by grouting, and that they are talking about replacing significant portions of the reinforced concrete.  If that's the case, they probably don't want any significant amount of water coming down from the spillway gates.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 2:13:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Still keeping up to date.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Currently at 810.06, Outflow @ 1,885 and Inflow @ 10,189
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was looking at that yesterday.

Looks like they have decided to stockpile some more water.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are pretty much at the end of our water year. From this point forward the chances of a big storm coming through the area decreases daily. Not saying it can't happen but it's very unlikely. Once we hit Mid May you can pretty much forget about any large storms coming through.  The next 7 days are dry and into the mid 80's here, beyond that it doesn't look very wet
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#29]
This is my favorite thread by far and I don't live in California.  I like to watch the emergency spillway being built, the progress is amazing:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/live/lakeorovillesra_emergency_spillway
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just spoke with someone today about the concrete cracking on the spillway.  He says there are four inch wide cracks in some spots that can't be repaired by grouting, and that they are talking about replacing significant portions of the reinforced concrete.  If that's the case, they probably don't want any significant amount of water coming down from the spillway gates.  
View Quote
You mean these cracks in the temporary RCC section that's going to be replaced?
Explaining the dark lines on the Oroville Spillway
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Oroville Spillways Phase 2 Update Mid-April 2018
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izBz9nQqjLY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izBz9nQqjLY
I asked specifically if it was RCC or reinforced concrete he was talking about, and he said it was the reinforced concrete.  Can't say it's accurate, just passing along what someone heard, or thought he heard, from a person working at the site.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wow. There is no excuse for that. With the amount of mind power, money, and resources going into this, there is simply no excuse.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Up to 812

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Oroville Spillways Phase 2 Update Late April 2018
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Part 5

working on the spillway again.

ETA: due to repeated confusion... adding some captions.

Here they seem to be grinding away at the RCC on the spillway.  This is part of the plan to replace the top layer of RCC with structural concrete.

At the base of spillway where the "dragons teeth" or dentites are and the original wall remains they look to be cutting into that wall.

Link Posted: 4/26/2018 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
Looks like the roller compacted concrete section was really more temporary than some of us thought.  That side wall with the outer layer popped off is not very comforting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Looks like the roller compacted concrete section was really more temporary than some of us thought.  That side wall with the outer layer popped off is not very comforting.
View Quote
Isn't that side wall a picture of one of the teeth at the bottom of the spillway?
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Isn't that side wall a picture of one of the teeth at the bottom of the spillway?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is.  That's the old pre disaster wall being worked on.

The first pic is way up the spillway from there and it looks like they're grinding down into the RCC... which was the plan.  The plan being to replace the top layer of RCC with structural concrete.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/26/2018 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Not all all looks like it was full of air. was that roller compacted or sprayed?
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not all all looks like it was full of air. was that roller compacted or sprayed?
View Quote
did they spray concrete back in 1968?  That's the original wall not the RCC.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They're touching up the lower half so it can withstand the flows for another 50 years, but leaving the upper scars as a reminder, right?

Or did that plan change?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/c5mCzcm.jpg
They're touching up the lower half so it can withstand the flows for another 50 years, but leaving the upper scars as a reminder, right?

Or did that plan change?
supposed to be resurfacing the entire blocks
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did not realize it was the tooth. But still it looks to be full of air pockets behind the rebar.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I did not realize it was the tooth. But still it looks to be full of air pockets behind the rebar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks more like someone went to work on it with a jack hammer or hydraulic breaker.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That looks more like someone went to work on it with a jack hammer or hydraulic breaker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it was hydro-blasted
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

it was hydro-blasted
View Quote
That makes sense. The smoothness of the innards confused me.
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top