Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#1]
meh the comments are the scary part.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One day this will bite them in the ass along with all the other companies.
We can then sit back and laugh.
I'm all for making a fair profit on something, but some of this shit is just no right.
View Quote

50% markups make up for a lot of pissed off customers as oppossed to truding along at 5% mark ups.

If your normal net margins are 5% and you are able to jack prices by 50% when the market conditions allow it and increase your net margins to ~55%, you can bring forward an entire decade's worth of profit into one year.  

I know it sounds terrible but who cares if your customers are pissed off at that point?  Never mind the fact that a good portion of customers will forget and a good portion of your customers will have never experienced it in the first place because of normal turnover.

I completely understand where these auto dealers or in past times Cheaper Than Dirt are coming from no matter how bad of a taste it leaves in my mouth.

It's always good to think about the long game but don't forget to get while the getting is good either.  It's often the case that people more often care about what you can do for them today than what you did for them a year ago.  Not in everything, but certainly in some areas.

I have commercial customers where I've held the line for years as a matter of helping a long time customer but when the shoe is on the other foot and I need some help on pricing it's "So sorry about your bad luck, can't do anything for you".

Loyalty is good in business but it's not indefinite either.

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#3]
People keep saying price gouging is a myth…. All I know is that vehicles that have ADMs were acquired by the dealer for invoice

If it’s anything bleeding heart liberals do… I wish they abolish dealers Franchise laws and get rid of them

I want to buy my shit from the factory
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A fragment?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup...i agree.

Just a fragment of some peoples imagination.

A fragment?

People use portions of their imagination for other things than contemplating price gouging so it checks out.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am looking for a muscle car to put away..Hellcat redeye, GT500, etc..found a nice Mach 1 and stopped buy to grab it. MSRP was $ 62k, they told me any deal that did not start with an 8, don't bother, I left quickly.
View Quote
If you want to put away a muscle car, find a 2018 + Shelby GT350 with low miles and they can be had for high 50's low 60's. It's a unique car with the flat plane crank and a low volume car. I'm on the hunt for one now. They are amazing cars and will hold their value.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Pigment of their imagination.
View Quote

For all intensive purposes
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When I bought my Gladiator the sales guy said “people are going to remember how they were treated during this time”. He’s right, and I wish him well, he was a good dude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One day this will bite them in the ass along with all the other companies.
We can then sit back and laugh.
I'm all for making a fair profit on something, but some of this shit is just no right.

When I bought my Gladiator the sales guy said “people are going to remember how they were treated during this time”. He’s right, and I wish him well, he was a good dude.

People remember right up until the dealers that treated customers like shit put on a sale and then it will miraculously be all about the price.

Some people remember but most people are whores for the lowest price.

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There's a local dealer who I will never visit again.  Have bought several cars from them over the years.  They changed ownership 3 years ago and are now asking insane prices for used beaters and ludicrous prices for new cars.

We're talking $27k for a 2014 honda civic with 200k miles sort of pricing.  $80k base model bronco pricing.  The other dealers in the area are doing 10-15% market adjustment.  Not 200%.

Do they really think people won't remember?

View Quote

If in 5 years from now they are 10% cheaper than everywhere else will people remember or will they shop that sweet low price?

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yup...i agree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Price gouging is a myth.

Yup...i agree.

It's not price gouging, it's "market Adjustment".

My local dealer says so. And also the window tint and fabric scotch guard costs $5000. ??

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was reading a story about the new home market locally.  Builders are asking for 100k more than they signed contracts for and are cancelling the contracts if they don't agree.
View Quote

Those stories probably have more to do with raw materials and trade wages inflation than anything else since it happened so quickly.

Nobody is going to lose money to build you a house.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If in 5 years from now they are 10% cheaper than everywhere else will people remember or will they shop that sweet low price?

View Quote

I'll remember.  I don't really care what other people do.   I won't be buying cars or getting warranty service done at that dealership ever again.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

50% markups make up for a lot of pissed off customers as oppossed to truding along at 5% mark ups.

If your normal net margins are 5% and you are able to jack prices by 50% when the market conditions allow it and increase your net margins to ~55%, you can bring forward an entire decade's worth of profit into one year.  

I know it sounds terrible but who cares if your customers are pissed off at that point?  Never mind the fact that a good portion of customers will forget and a good portion of your customers will have never experienced it in the first place because of normal turnover.

I completely understand where these auto dealers or in past times Cheaper Than Dirt are coming from no matter how bad of a taste it leaves in my mouth.

It's always good to think about the long game but don't forget to get while the getting is good either.  It's often the case that people more often care about what you can do for them today than what you did for them a year ago.  Not in everything, but certainly in some areas.

I have commercial customers where I've held the line for years as a matter of helping a long time customer but when the shoe is on the other foot and I need some help on pricing it's "So sorry about your bad luck, can't do anything for you".

View Quote

They can’t pull a decades of profit into a year because they don’t have the volume to do so.
When the volume comes back,
A ton of people are going to go to dealerships that did not piss them off instead.

They are taking a short term view of-
Let’s ass rape whoever we can whenever we can now-

And in the same way I have never bought anything from CTD again,
I will never buy from them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's a local dealer who I will never visit again.  Have bought several cars from them over the years.  They changed ownership 3 years ago and are now asking insane prices for used beaters and ludicrous prices for new cars.

We're talking $27k for a 2014 honda civic with 200k miles sort of pricing.  $80k base model bronco pricing.  The other dealers in the area are doing 10-15% market adjustment.  Not 200%.

You have a very valid point.  Most will.  I won’t.

However-
I find it near impossible that the type of dealership doing this now is going to be the greatest price around and end up in that situation.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Is this any different than dealers and 715 Tactical selling their Springfield Hellion twice over MSRP?

Nope.

If you pay over MSRP because you can't control your own wants...you sir/lady is what is driving this country to a fiscal disaster...but who cares right...I cAn AfForD XXXX.XX pEr MOnth...

These people are the same that have 0 net-worth by the time they reach 60 and they blame the world for not providing...

Unless your car is working for you...drive the stupid thing until it is fiscally not responsible to do so...

Heck...I am driving in 15 year old car that has been very reliable *knock on wood* outside of normal tear and wear...could I have a new car...sure...but it doesn't make sense...I only need it for light duty needs and occasional camping trips...a new $60,000 SUV does the same thing as my 2006 X3...I'll pocket that money and make it work in terms of investments...

DON'T BE STUPID AND GET INTO BAD CAR DEBT!

If you make $50K a year...you shouldn't buy a car over $10K in value...just a suggestion from someone that has financial freedom.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is at a podunk dealer in Berwick PA. 25K over sticker. "Sale."

https://i.postimg.cc/qBxvJkYW/PXL-20220116-151653512.jpg
View Quote

That’s insane. And wrong.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#16]
The dealership model is stupid and obsolete.  I should be able to custom order on the mfg's website and have a truck drop off my new vehicle sometime in the next 90 days.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Gay youtube face = no click.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ve had a couple of dealers try constantly to purchase my 2016 Colorado from me when my wife and I looked at a car for her….only has 27k on it, and I don’t drive it that much since I have a work truck provided for me……. Dudes are relentless asking me to consider selling it to them
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Okay, since I'm not an idiot, then I won't be buying.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#21]
We saw a Bronco with a $25,000 market adjustment price. So $42K(msrp)+$25K.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Bought a truck once that had a negative market adjsutment lol. During fracking boom small town dealer had 1/2 ton 4wd on sale because they had no problem selling 1 ton dielsel and fully loaded trucks at all. Get rid of this one for more room.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I disagree that there is no such thing as price gouging, but this isn't an example.

Really, price gouging is pretty rare.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#24]
reminds me of when choppers were going high as giraffe ass.

then all of a sudden, the bottom fell out
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This is at a podunk dealer in Berwick PA. 25K over sticker. "Sale."

https://i.postimg.cc/qBxvJkYW/PXL-20220116-151653512.jpg
View Quote

And I thought the upfront “the Broncos are $10k over MSRP” at my local dealership was silly.

ETA:

Full size models
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

The second hand value of choppers always makes me laugh. Guys with 20, 30, 40, 50k into the damn things, rode them a couple hundred miles only (many ride like shit), and they are lucky to get 10k on the second hand market.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I guess if people stop driving cars that could happen. Choppers are a luxury item. Regular cars and trucks are appliances that wear out.

Just wait for the price increases that are coming. Suppliers are getting hammered with huge cost increases that have not been passed to the OEMs yet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'll remember.  I don't really care what other people do.   I won't be buying cars or getting warranty service done at that dealership ever again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't doubt you.  I'm just saying the majority of the market, and that's why dealers are getting while the getting is good because few people are going to do them any favors when the pendulum swings the other way.

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Are cars really selling at these inflated prices? Why wouldn't you just buy a used beater and wait the market out. If your willing to pay 60k over more, you could buy a pretty damn nice used truck.
View Quote

Have you tried to do that?
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#31]
They're charging higher prices because they can.  Inventory is non-existent and people still need cars.

I totalled my 4Runner and I'm stuck buying in this market.  I want another 4Runner.  Same year, color, trim package, mileage as my old one now costs $14k more than what I paid 2 year ago.  And yep, I'm buying used.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Dealers should just be disbanded no reason I can’t go to the manufacturer to buy directly what are they doing for me except marking the price up
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Doesn't know how the free market works.
I didn't watch the video but the first 30 sec.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They can’t pull a decades of profit into a year because they don’t have the volume to do so.
A ton of people are going to go to dealerships that did not piss them off instead.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know how much profit they can pull in to the current year.  I just used the example for illustrative purposes because I think it's lost on people the degree to which small increases in price can result in much larger increases in profit on a percentage basis.

Keeping it super simple once against for illustrative purposes:

If an item costs you $1.00 and you sell it for $1.05 then your profit is $0.05

If you suddenly get in a position of unusual market power and can raise the price to $1.25 then your price only went up 19% but your profit went up 400%.

I'm just trying to illustrate the phenomenon going on here.  These dealers don't care how mad you are.  It sounds like they are making a killing and it wouldn't shock me if it more than makes up for several years of negative goodwill with customers.

In this thread people are acting like these dealers don't know how bad they are screwing themselves in the future but I disagree.  I think they know it, have done the math, and said screw it, let's be pigs.

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#36]
We are in the same position as alot of people.

We need to replace 2 vehicles and with the prices of used vehicles right now and the MSRP plus price markups of the new vehicles. We are playing the waiting game right now.

We have the cash but its the principal right now.

Let the dealers starve.

Especially since shipping costs from MIA to the VI doubled since Brandon was anointed. It's cheapest  to buy locally  then from the mainland.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I've been thinking about getting a BMW X5 xDrive40i (G05). I may want to re-think that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

However-
I find it near impossible that the type of dealership doing this now is going to be the greatest price around and end up in that situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

However-

Price is the most powerful tool that they have to bring people back.  If they don't need to play that card, of course they won't, but that only further validates the wisdom of sticking it to people now.

And I believe you when you say that you won't forget.  A certain percentage of people won't.

Cheaper Than Dirt is still in business at the end of the day though.  Never forget it.

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did that this time around in 2017…bought a quality used car with impeccable service history for less than $10k…paid cash…still driving it…maintaining is less than $500 a year thus far. It’s possible. Not easy. But boy is it worth it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:05:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
They're charging higher prices because they can.  Inventory is non-existent and people still need cars.

I totalled my 4Runner and I'm stuck buying in this market.  I want another 4Runner.  Same year, color, trim package, mileage as my old one now costs $14k more than what I paid 2 year ago.  And yep, I'm buying used.
View Quote

Need or want? It’s more want than a need.

If you NEED a car…you don’t have to play new car dealer schemes…
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about getting a BMW X5 xDrive40i (G05). I may want to re-think that.
View Quote

If you are buying new you shouldn’t have to pay over sticker for that. But you may have to wait a few months. Most of the people pissed about this are trying to go buy a new corvette and drive it for the summer and sell it for more than they paid. The vast majority of new cars are not selling for over MSRP.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Price gouging is a myth.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

As someone who has had to hunt a generator after an area wide hurricane induced power outage: Yes, he's right. It doesn't exist.

At the same time, are there tons of greedy jerks who put their prices up above what people can afford? Yes. They're the people who don't sell anything till they're forced to back down.

Can't legislate greed away and laws against this sort of greed can never work for the same reason communist central planning of economies can't work: it's humanly impossible to have all the necessary information required to make the right decisions.

Yes, dealerships are absolutely out of control. The best and quickest way to fix it: STOP BUYING. If they're really ticking you off, and you wanted to buy and would have at the msrp ... make it a point to go walk into the door and *tell them.*
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What about in Total Recall when they kept raising the price of air on Mars? I’d argue air is essential and when three titty bitches start suffocating it is very much an emergency situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

repeat after me:

PRICE GOUGING DOES NOT EXIST

What about in Total Recall when they kept raising the price of air on Mars? I’d argue air is essential and when three titty bitches start suffocating it is very much an emergency situation.

Killing people is not price gouging.

It's murder.

One of these things is not like the other ...

(what you're talking about is literally the same thing as the criminal sticking you up at gunpoint for your sneakers).
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If you are buying new you shouldn’t have to pay over sticker for that. But you may have to wait a few months. Most of the people pissed about this are trying to go buy a new corvette and drive it for the summer and sell it for more than they paid. The vast majority of new cars are not selling for over MSRP.
View Quote

Thank you. I'm unsure as to whether I will buy new or used. I don't want or need a different vehicle so bad that I can't wait for new inventory or take my time shopping used, and I'm not willing to pay a premium for it. It's just a car.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I know I wouldn't buy a new car right now, if mine got totaled and I absolutely had to, I'd just buy a used econobox like a Kia Soul or something. My ego and identity are not tied to the car I drive.

But, to each their own, and I'm sure there are plenty out there willing to pay these prices. Like others have said, no such thing as price gouging.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We are in the same position as alot of people.

We need to replace 2 vehicles and with the prices of used vehicles right now and the MSRP plus price markups of the new vehicles. We are playing the waiting game right now.

We have the cash but its the principal right now.

Let the dealers starve.

Especially since shipping costs from MIA to the VI doubled since Brandon was anointed. It's cheapest  to buy locally  then from the mainland.
View Quote

Suddenly, repairs that almost cost the same price as replacing the car at MSRP become ... nearly a reality.

It's good mechanics who are in the place of real strength. If they have their acts together and suppress the perverse incentives from the flat-rate book and FIX things proper, they can do unspeakably destructive things to the dealerships.  Sadly, it seems like the aftermarket and reman parts right now are lousy on QC.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Plenty of dealerships near me selling at msrp with no bullshit “packages/services” to hide a market adjustment.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are cars really selling at these inflated prices? Why wouldn't you just buy a used beater and wait the market out. If your willing to pay 60k over more, you could buy a pretty damn nice used truck.

I doubt he has.  The trade in value on my 6 year old, 90K mile SUV has gone up 6K this year.  
I have been offered 28K from a more than one source on a 9 year old FJ Cruiser with 65K.  A year or two ago it was about a 20K vechicle.
One family member paid 30K for a low mileage JKU a few years ago.  It is now being offered to be bought for more than that.
We could sell our 60K mile 3/4 ton 4x4 for more than we paid for it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I don't know how much profit they can pull in to the current year.  I just used the example for illustrative purposes because I think it's lost on people the degree to which small increases in price can result in much larger increases in profit on a percentage basis.

If you suddenly get in a position of unusual market power and can raise the price to $1.25 then your price only went up 19% but your profit went up 400%.

I'm just trying to illustrate the phenomenon going on here.  These dealers don't care how mad you are.  It sounds like they are making a killing and it wouldn't shock me if it more than makes up for several years of negative goodwill with customers.

In this thread people are acting like these dealers don't know how bad they are screwing themselves in the future but I disagree.  I think they know it, have done the math, and said screw it, let's be pigs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree that have said screw it, let’s be pigs.
I disagree that they have done the long term math vs just going for the short term.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Did that this time around in 2017…bought a quality used car with impeccable service history for less than $10k…paid cash…still driving it…maintaining is less than $500 a year thus far. It’s possible. Not easy. But boy is it worth it.
View Quote

2017 was a totally different story than right now.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top