Link Posted: 4/28/2019 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thought you might find this interesting:
Article on University of Tulsa
View Quote
of we are dead in the middle of it.
many of their liberal arts programs were busted up.

that is an excellent article.
all of my laboratory assistants for the past 12 years have been TU undergrad students from the science programs. all have been extremely gifted students and ever one went on to PhD and med school. all have mentioned how things have changed.

we have watched TU and its problems for years. my son went to the school for the gifted on campus for elementary school.

one of my best friends has a son who is a sophomore there that has changed his major 3 times. 2 of my best friends played football there on free rides. ( neither have worked a day in their degree field)
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
GOING TO RAGE QUIT THIS WEBSITE BECAUSE YOU ALL THINK I SHOULD BE $250K IN DEBT BECAUSE MY LESBIAN POTTERY/MINORITY STUDIES DEGREE CANNOT GET ME A JOB.  I AM A HERO!
View Quote
Save some pussy for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Of course, they pay for what has value to them. I think that makes sense.

One of my ideas for getting all of this under control has been for more of these corporations to partner with these universities and lay out exactly what they need in a graduate, and then have a way for them to essentially sponsor students on their way through, with part of the contract being a job at the end if the student does well enough.
View Quote
the hospital paid for all of my graduate courses. I took advantage of every perk they offered and used my time on campus to troll hot college chica's
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

the pretty blonde walking us thru their scholarship system told us numerous times that the "real" scholarship monies came after the freshman year.
View Quote
bad news, she is flat out lying to you again.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]
If they're too young to make good choices about their own life, they're WAY TOO YOUNG to make choices for other people's lives by voting.

Which is it?
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#6]
College loans never seemed like a good idea to me and it seems my 18 year old self got something right.

Our neighbors have 50K each in student debt, he has a decent job but she's a stay at home Mom with 4 kids. They have a mortgage, 2 new car payments and 100K in student loans with 1 income. On the bright side for them is they bought their home at the bottom of the market and have 200K in equity in it. they are selling their home and paying off all their bills and then renting for a while.

My brother has a degree in digital media that he's used for nothing as he works for the State of California. No idea how much he owes on his loans but I know he does.

My ex girlfriend's roommate had 75K in college loans with a bachelors in fashion from UC Davis and last I heard she was a Customer Service rep in a call center.

IMO the Govt shouldn't be involved with handing out these loans for worthless degrees. They need to make the people pay them back and then discontinue the loan programs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#7]
If the FedGov didn’t/wouldn’t pay off mortgages during the mortgage crisis of ‘06ish rather than bail out the banks, what makes anyone think they’re going to bail out kids’ school debt ...?

I could make a convincing case that paying off mortgages in ‘06 would have had a vastly better return on investment in helping the economy than student debt.

And I have student debt!
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder how many of the knee jerk "fuck this" crowd also refuse to admit that social security is just a tax and their retirement depends on others being taxed to pay for their retirement.

Not saying that I'm for it, just saying that there are lots of things that need to be changed and lots of them are going to hurt.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If they're too young to make good choices about their own life, they're WAY TOO YOUNG to make choices for other people's lives by voting.

Which is it?
View Quote
At this point I would not be against moving the age of most everything (voting, drinking, etc) up to 21. 18 is proto-adult, and 21 is adult. If you join the military you get everything early as a perk/reward.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Part of the problem is the Colleges and Universities have switched to a customer based model because the kids asked/demanded it.  Couple that with the students increased demands for a larger administrative body (think the colleges would really pay a diversity czar?).  Little Aiden and Zoe really fucked themselves and future college attendees and now they want someone else to pay for it.

Fuck them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

$60,000 salary is really $35 or 40,000 taken home, and then take another $7200 for a fucking loan. How many jobs out there are 60 grand starting?
View Quote
I don't think that 60K to start is too uncommon.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
New EEs/MEs make that pretty easily even in Kansas.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[boomer]That’s ridiculous! Kids these days are soft! I made $300 a month at my first job and considered myself lucky. [/boomer]
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
so maybe they shouldn't have maintained a cost increase 4 times that of inflation.

You know why state appropriations have shrunk?  because the taxpayers are sick and fucking tired of paying for shitty indoctrination.
View Quote
No, that's not it. We're getting to a whole 'nother social problem here. State appropriations for things like higher ed have been in long term decline for years as the public employee cost problem has gotten worse and worse. State and municipal governments have been masking the problem by cutting services, like higher ed and road repair spending. Higher ed has the same public employee pension & benefits problem as any other area.

I don't think most taxpayers even know the level of that pervades many an academic department/class.

But then, that goes to something posted previously. Turn off the tap, and watch the economically unviable academic programs burn. Engineering wouldn't even notice a change , but gender studies and the like would get killed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No, that's not it. We're getting to a whole 'nother social problem here. State appropriations for things like higher ed have been in long term decline for years as the public employee cost problem has gotten worse and worse. State and municipal governments have been masking the problem by cutting services, like higher ed and road repair spending. Higher ed has the same public employee pension & benefits problem as any other area.

I don't think most taxpayers even know the level of that pervades many an academic department/class.

But then, that goes to something posted previously. Turn off the tap, and watch the economically unviable academic programs burn. Engineering wouldn't even notice a change , but gender studies and the like would get killed.
View Quote
and how are state funded university employees NOT "public employees"?
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Part of the problem is the Colleges and Universities have switched to a customer based model because the kids asked/demanded it.  Couple that with the students increased demands for a larger administrative body (think the colleges would really pay a diversity czar?).  Little Aiden and Zoe really fucked themselves and future college attendees and now they want someone else to pay for it.

Fuck them.
View Quote
Oh, that, too. I think it would be great to see exactly how much 'diversity' costs, and have that cost published. That's another thing that has changed the landscape of higher ed, these programs that don't actually add value to course delivery (except the SJWs will claim diversity programs do add value).
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
colleges created this mess and profited from it.

let those fuck heads pay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Student loans are economic vampirism and one of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on young people. I say this as a person who has $0 in student loans.

Burn it all down.

Oh they should, and handsomely. The problem is too big now. Destroying the grip on colleges the left has held for half a century should be in our top 3 priorities
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
my son totally agreed with me when I told him that as we walked down the steps of her office.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
in Oklahoma its highly uncommon even for extremely good professions to make 60K right out of the gate. our low cost of living transfers over to pay scale. $45-50K is very much the norm. one of the problems with being one of the lowest costs of living in the nation. I know Lawyers, Veterinarians, CPA's.. all who really have to crank it out for 3-5 years to break the 60-70K range.

the biggest issue is the fact that their credit is raped over their loans and credit cards and no bank will front them the money to start up or venture into their own. so they remain under the thumbs of another Partner or business owner making them scrape by.

the veterinarian field has tanked due to the debt load. very few men are going into that field. they are concentrating on solid $$ science fields. same as the MD/DO crowd.  ditching medicine for hard science fields.

my friends that are Drs both MD and DO have asked my son why he has no plans for medicine.  he point blank tells them the future isnt in it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#20]
The whole idea of forgiving student loans really pisses me off.
I used my veterans benefits and worked several part time jobs to graduate debt free.
I was a 25 year old veteran working for Little Caesars for one year while attending
Texas A&M. My car broke down and I rode a bike for 18 months to work and school.
I graduated with no debt and got a good job.  Twenty-eight years later I have paid all
the expenses not covered by scholarships for my two oldest kids to attend University.
My youngest starts in one year and I plan to cover all her college expenses as well.

Paying for a college education should be something for the student and their parents
to work out.  Irresponsible parents are just as much to blame as their kids for racking
up large student loan debts.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#21]
The government should not guarantee student loans.

The government should not guarantee mortgage loans.

The government should let the market work, even if POC with 900 SAT scores can't get college loans.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
College admissions is a disgusting business.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
in Oklahoma its highly uncommon even for extremely good professions to make 60K right out of the gate. our low cost of living transfers over to pay scale. $45-50K is very much the norm. one of the problems with being one of the lowest costs of living in the nation. I know Lawyers, Veterinarians, CPA's.. all who really have to crank it out for 3-5 years to break the 60-70K range.

the biggest issue is the fact that their credit is raped over their loans and credit cards and no bank will front them the money to start up or venture into their own. so they remain under the thumbs of another Partner or business owner making them scrape by.

the veterinarian field has tanked due to the debt load. very few men are going into that field. they are concentrating on solid $$ science fields. same as the MD/DO crowd.  ditching medicine for hard science fields.

my friends that are Drs both MD and DO have asked my son why he has no plans for medicine.  he point blank tells them the future isnt in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www1.salary.com/OK/Tulsa/Machinist-I-salary.html
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The whole idea of forgiving student loans really pisses me off.
I used my veterans benefits and worked several part time jobs to graduate debt free.
I was a 25 year old veteran working for Little Caesars for one year while attending
Texas A&M. My car broke down and I rode a bike for 18 months to work and school.
I graduated with no debt and got a good job.  Twenty-eight years later I have paid all
the expenses not covered by scholarships for my two oldest kids to attend University.
My youngest starts in one year and I plan to cover all her college expenses as well.

Paying for a college education should be something for the student and their parents
to work out.  Irresponsible parents are just as much to blame as their kids for racking
up large student loan debts.
View Quote
I hear ya.
I paid for my own education right off the bat at 18.
worked my ass off at Wal-Mart and as a Ranch Hand.

the problem now is that the cost of Tuition and the dreaded fee's have gone nuclear and that type of situation is no longer attainable.

but..
at what point do you feel you are no longer responsible for your children?
18-21-25?
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I hear ya.

the problem now is that the cost of Tuition and the dreaded fee's have gone nuclear and that type of situation is no longer attainable.

but..
18-21-25?
View Quote
I don't see why in state tuition at your flagship school wouldn't be affordable for you?  I don't mean to be a dick (its just a talent I have)

When my kid was going through this a few years ago, a 34 was full ride at Alabama for out of state students.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#26]
absolutely, I know. I'm good friends with several machine shop owners

College's have flooded the degree fields, while Blue Collar jobs have advanced in need. the Ying and the Yang. strictly a numbers ratio.
the Tech Schools are trying to recruit in all the high schools to cover.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Student loans are economic vampirism and one of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on young people. I say this as a person who has $0 in student loans.

Burn it all down.

College is a business that sales a service/product, if you can't afford the service/business then don't but it. Blaming college for student debt is the equivalent of blaming sugar manufactures for diabetes.

Dang GD sure does turn liberal on some topics.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
And plenty of them got told "get a degree" by people who knew better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stupid people think college will make them smart, but end up as fodder for debt scams, picking a degree as stupid as them, and still working a shit ass job
And plenty of them got told "get a degree" by people who knew better.
I guess they learned a lesson, at least one would hope.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, its like degrees with a high demand pay well. People dont want to put in the work to get the degress though because it isnt as easy or fun as business or arts or "insert below 60k starting salary degree here*
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Grossly overpriced BA degrees.

Let them struggle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#31]
My daughter just graduated with a BS in Finance. Her starting salary with bonus was mid 70's.

Quoted:
Medical field is about the only one I know of. But you peak early.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$60,000 salary is really $35 or 40,000 taken home, and then take another $7200 for a fucking loan. How many jobs out there are 60 grand starting?
Medical field is about the only one I know of. But you peak early.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I don't see why in state tuition at your flagship school wouldn't be affordable for you?  I don't mean to be a dick (its just a talent I have)

When my kid was going through this a few years ago, a 34 was full ride at Alabama for out of state students.
View Quote
No dickness taken..

thats the rub. a couple of years ago a 34 was a full ride here too at OU, OSU and almost a free ride at TU. merit is gone. economic need is the only thing they are looking at.
its just the fact we are still pissed off over being lied too and mislead for 5-6 years.

the Class Warfare issue came out of nowhere for us.our State Schools have fucked us and every other middle class family with a kid who has been a proven quality student.
we have a solid amount in his 529 ( of course the Obama stock market didn't help out either). but we never planned to have to bank roll it all. we are lucky.. we are use to paying private school tuition and will just roll that money into the 529 every month and add even more to it.

i guess one of the bigger issues at hand is the .gov rolling all these responsibilities of 18-25 year olds unto the parents. if I had asked my dad for a copy of his tax return when i was in college he would have laughed hysterically then said.. "No"....

my son is talking to a OK ARNG  recruiter next week to look at options. we've told him there are pretty much all positives and no real negatives in going that route and utilizing all the benefits.

I've told him I don't care what he does.
but he needs to find a degree or trade where he doesn't have to work in a large city and can be his own boss.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Forgive all debt.
View Quote
This.   If we are forgiving debts in the name of prosperity, just forgive them all, why be selective?
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#34]
That is a hard question to answer. My Mom started charging me rent at 18 right after High School graduation. I moved out a week later and have been self supporting ever since.  I have probably gone too far in the opposite direction to provide every thing I can for my kids. I will consider myself to have succeeded as a parent once they are all independent. But I will make sure they all have the opportunity to get a college degree without taking on any debt. That's the least I can do for my kids.

Quoted:

I hear ya.

but..
18-21-25?
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This.   If we are forgiving debts in the name of prosperity, just forgive them all, why be selective?
View Quote
I'm sure a lot of cities and states would love to walk away from their bonds. Underfunded pension obligations too.

Link Posted: 4/28/2019 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I wonder how many of the knee jerk "fuck this" crowd also refuse to admit that social security is just a tax and their retirement depends on others being taxed to pay for their retirement.

Not saying that I'm for it, just saying that there are lots of things that need to be changed and lots of them are going to hurt.
View Quote
I'm in the "fuck this" crowd (not knee jerk reaction though).

Fuckin A, cotton, please end social security too. I could do a lot better with my money than the government.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forgive all debt.
This makes sense if you believe in the major premise of the video, which is that the national debt doesn't matter.
Simply forgive all debt, print money to pay off the debt holders, and put it on the tab.

Life will be perfect going forward.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Fuck that - I have student loans but I signed on the line.  I own those damn things - it’s been my best investment.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Burn it all down.

This.  Are we to believe that college recruiters didn't play these kids?  ...and I'm not talking about Ivies.  I'm talking about directional state universities and below, which I think comprise the majority of the loans.

ETA:  ...and I work at said vampiric institution.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

College is a business that sales a service/product, if you can't afford the service/business then don't but it. Blaming college for student debt is the equivalent of blaming sugar manufactures for diabetes.

View Quote
College is a business?

Thats funny.  I thought it was a "non-profit" that got special dispensation from the government to ensure loans given to their customers couldn't discharge those loans in bankruptcy.

Is that what the "free market" looks like in your world?
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm fine with college being a business if the dept of ed stops handing out grants to kids who go to said business.   A portion of our "customers" are here because they get refunds from pell grants.  They're paid to be our customers.  We're paid to provide a service to them.  We get to keep the customers (and $) if they're happy (i.e., they get good grades, regardless of their performance).  Then everyone is surprised when these degrees seem worthless.  The incentive structure looks a lot like it did when PWC audited Colonial Bank, yet we're supposed to expect a different outcome?

I think it would be better than what we have now if the gov't just paid for a certain quantity of education, then students competed with each other to get it.  At least then colleges wouldn't be competing for students, and just maybe they'd compete on prestige alone.  Just maybe the gender studies programs would then mostly go away.  One could hope at least.

IOW, public funds flowing to schoold should not depend on enrollment.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
College is a business?

Thats funny.  I thought it was a "non-profit" that got special dispensation from the government to ensure loans given to their customers couldn't discharge those loans in bankruptcy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

College is a business?

And you think non profits aren't a business, non profits are a cash cow?
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Why not make the school responsible for it? They're the ones who produced the defective product.
View Quote
This isn't wrong. A college degree is essentially a six-figure gamble that it will pay off. For many, it doesn't.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was making close to 60K as an hourly plant guy at a mine. There are quite a few good-paying jobs out there that don't require a degree, but they can be physically demanding and require an actual work ethic.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#45]
sign the line... you Owe the man. it doesnt matter what the reason is. disney trip, over priced education etc.
not my problem. go bankrupt.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I was making close to 60K as an hourly plant guy at a mine. There are quite a few good-paying jobs out there that don't require a degree, but they can be physically demanding and require an actual work ethic.
View Quote
But you don’t want to leave that million extra dollars on the table!

Well, maybe. If it works out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And you think non profits aren't a business, non profits are a cash cow?
View Quote
by definition non-profits aren't a business.

A business that doesn't make profit isn't much of a business.

They need special protections and laws from government (as well as cash handouts from Department of Education) to make that happen.

but, like, totally, free market.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
sign the line... you Owe the man. it doesnt matter what the reason is. disney trip, over priced education etc.
not my problem. go bankrupt.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't entirely blame the students. The parents and high school "guidance" departments bear a huge portion of the blame. In some cases, it amounts to coercion of minors to apply to universities and subsequently take on debt. Paying your own way through a degree is no longer possible outside of community college (an oft-overlooked option) for a kid right out of high schools. Tuition has exploded with nothing to show for it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top