User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 3:12:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Page 2 is suing you too.

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 3:16:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sorry this is a bit lengthy. I am not trying to avoid a debt,  I am much happy to pay it to the original debitor which is HSBC Best Buy. I have been working on my debts that I messed up while in college, working on one at a time. Can't do all at once. But this one is now threating to sue me. So I need some suggestions to what is the best next step to resolve this situation.

So I have been getting private number calling me with no caller ID twice,  those time they called I was unable to answer. my voice-mail was full,  They ended up calling my father,  left message with him that it was urgent to call them otherwise they will file lawsuit against me. They left a number 626-346-2851 and case number. No name or company name or anything.

I called them, at first I asked who they were before I gave them my name. His name is Jordan Cohen,  he was very polite and nice, said that  They are Michael Phillips and associates. He said they are law firm based in California. He asked for case number, I gave it to him.  He said that someone was suing someone and needed my statement. I thought to myself if I recalled anyone asking me for permission to get a statement and no one did. He then proceeded and asked if my name was correct which it was. He had me on hold to get paperwork for the statement.

Jordan came back, told me my birthdate, which was correct, then told me if my last 4 social security number was correct. I was like how do you have all this information if it's just a statement you need for someone suing someone. He said that he couldn't say anything until I verified the number they gave me was correct. I said it was correct. His attitude changed right there, from there and on he was very demanding and said that they are suing me for a $1,000 debt with HSBC Best Buy credit card.  I asked if they are debt collector, he said well yeah sorta but more of a law firm. Then he proceeded to tell me that the judge has awarded them and that they won and I must pay the amount of $1,445.00 today and asked me for my payment information. I began to get more suspicious.

I asked him why I didn't get a letter about this first? He said they already did,  I said I never got anything. He checked the paper and said it was 2 months ago. I told him I never did receive a letter stating that I must pay or a lawsuit will be made on me.  He said let me check with my supervisor. Not more than 30 second he says they will settle with $1,000 if paid today with one full payment. Otherwise if I wanted monthly payments it will be a balance of $1,445.00 instead of $1,000.00.

I told him I can't pay that today because I don't have any document in my hands as I'm on the road,  I'm a truck driver. He said it's all legal and that the account was handed to them by HSBC and that I should pay today to avoid lawsuit. I started to get confused there as he said he won the suit, now saying there will be a lawsuit if I don't pay today.

Finally I told him that I will not pay a penny until I get a proof that I owe that debt to you via mail. He started to get agitated and pushy trying to get me to pay today and more threats on lawsuit as we went back and forth about the importance of needing a document before paying anything. He was also like let's save us both the trouble by making payment in full today.

I told him give me the account information and I'll contact HSBC to verify this.  He was like if you let us make out a agreement that you'll make payment in full on Monday 12/14/15 then we'll allow you to discuss with HSBC but we guarantee you they will tell you that it's Michael phillips and associates that is working with them to collect this debt.

So I told him fine and gave him my email to send the copy to me.  Now I have until Monday the 14th to figure this out.  

I did alot of research on the "firm",  can't find much with searching Michael phillips and associates, it only comes up to a medical doctor, so I tried phillips and Cohen associates, found some information on that,  doesn't look good.  Also when he emailed me,  there was another email address for reply to: which is [email protected],  found information on that too.

http://statesboro.biz/News/562/UPDATED-Junk-Debt-Collector-Phillips-Cohen-866-504-9784-You-re-About-To-Be-Sued.aspx

http://complaintwire.org/complaint/uF7916VxXws/beringer-taylor-associates

I refuse to pay a penny until I get documentation that I owe to them, but he is not wanting to do that and keeps throwing the lawsuit on me. So how can I get proof without them proceeding with the suit?
View Quote

Annualcreditreport.com dude.

pull your credit and see what you owe.
If this debt os more than 7 years old it doesn't count anyway.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 3:27:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Tell them you're going to get your payment information, and ask if they'll hold on for a minute?

Put the phone next to the TV playing an episode of THE KARDASHIANS

Walk away from phone, and go to another room, preferably to clean guns or post on ARF

Come back several hours later to hang up phone.

Problem solved.

Seriously?  High pressure demands from debt collector?  They're just trying to intimidate you and you're letting them.  Be strong, and let them fuck off.  If it's legit you'll have plenty of time to deal with it later on your own terms.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 3:28:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think any suit can proceed until you've been served bro.
View Quote

And that too
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 3:35:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know I had best buy card in the past,  I just can't remember how old it is, I will be home late morning to noon on Monday and will rush in my office to pull the file I have on all the debts I have paid and that are current from the information I pulled from my credit report.

So at this time I don't have much more information and I'm in the dark too.  I'm afraid to tell them to stop contacting me and then I'll be in the dark on what they do behind my back if they do actually proceed with a lawsuit and I'm not in the court room. If I'm not in the court based on my research, the judge will automatically award them the win.

Speaking from personal experience the people who serve court documents are just as fucking shady as the debt collector motherfuckers. In 2001 I paid my $100 ER deductible, but it was misapplied by the hospital (paid to the doc instead of the hospital) and I was contacted 2 years later by a debt collections agency trying to collect $300 for a $100 debt. I provided them proof from the hospital that I'd paid them and never heard from them again until I received a summary judgement against me for $300.

When I received the judgement against me I contacted the summons server, who claimed he served me and identified me as a 60+ year old man- I was 25 at the time and was at work at the time he claimed he came by my house 75 miles away from where the legal documents delivery agency was located.  The collections agency that sued me told me that  the summons server told them they served my then-wife on a night when she would have been at bible study, said I needed to go to Bible study also as much as I cussed that bitch out on the phone  The summons server probably threw the summons in the trash and collected his fee.

In the end I contacted the judge that issued the judgement after I "failed to appear" with proof of payment and explained how the hosipital fucked everything up and I had never been served a summons and asked for penalties to be assessed against the debt collector. I got the judgement dismissed but no sanctions against the debt collector or the summons server that I'm aware of. As far as I'm concerned they're all fucking scumbags.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 3:36:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Leave the debt alone. Once you acknowledge it by paying the minimum or talking to someone you are screwed. Let it go and argue about it later if it comes up in a credit check.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 3:43:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And that too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that too

Yep. My old credit union tried to get fishy with me when I got behind on my car payment awhile back.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 3:53:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm assuming it's a scam. I've been through the same thing and same threat. Don't fall for it.

This shit is more common then you know.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 4:19:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought the idea of having a "law firm" type collection agency was to intimidate people into paying debts without having to explicitly threat a lawsuit.  I'm sure the one lawyer actually involved is about a step below chasing ambulances on the ethics scale.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes, I got a letter from someone claiming I originally owed Sears some money, and now they want me to pay them.  I haven't had a Sears card in 15 years, and the SOL in Texas is 4 years.  Even if I did default on a Sears card, that debt has been sold and resold so many times without proof, and multiple companies think they own it.  It's common for debt collectors to not actually own the debt that want you to pay them for.

Yes, they are pissing in the wind.  Sometimes people are scared and pay them, so it's is profitable to send debt collection letters for time-barred debts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How old is the debt? There is a statute of limitations on credit card debt. Plus he cannot tell anyone but you anything. If he told your father he was going to sue you, it's illegal.

We got a letter the other day about an old credit card debt. On the letter it said that because of the age of the debt they could not sue or reported to the credit score people.  Sounds like in our case they are pissing in the wind.

Yes, I got a letter from someone claiming I originally owed Sears some money, and now they want me to pay them.  I haven't had a Sears card in 15 years, and the SOL in Texas is 4 years.  Even if I did default on a Sears card, that debt has been sold and resold so many times without proof, and multiple companies think they own it.  It's common for debt collectors to not actually own the debt that want you to pay them for.

Yes, they are pissing in the wind.  Sometimes people are scared and pay them, so it's is profitable to send debt collection letters for time-barred debts.

I got a call about a supposed debt (to a company I never did business with) and they told me they were trying to serve me with legal papers.  I told them to go ahead.  They wanted to know what time I would be home.    I told them that this was not how this works.  I'm not telling a random stranger on the phone the times I may or may not be home.  Then they asked if they could serve me at work.  Sure.  If I'm here.  They then wanted me to give them my work address and the specific times I was at work.  I said again, I'm not telling a stranger on the phone when I might or might not be at home.  The girl was really flustered.  I was having a good time.  She was going on and on about how the court date was 'in a few days'.  I asked what was the date and time?  Where is the court?  What's the case number?  "I don't have that information in front of me." was all she would say.  I just laughed and hung up.

Surprising, years have passed and I never got served nor was there ever a case....  
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 4:53:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought that phone number looked familiar. My friend works there and it is a collection agency. Don't lose any sleep over the issue, they're not taking anyone to court or sending out the sheriff. Tell them that you've exceeded the statue of limitations. The name and number of the agency changes almost monthly so don't bother trying to report them or look them up. If anything, just keep leading them on about paying but never do it. Wasting their time really pisses them off. Mention the FDCPA and pretty much laugh at them. Jordan Cohen is a collector name. Call him back and then ask to speak with Shaun Price. When he answers, ask him if you've reached Tom Ace. Tell him that you'll borrow the money from your rich uncle Dillard Winston III, lol.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 5:06:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I thought that phone number looked familiar. My friend works there and it is a collection agency. Don't lose any sleep over the issue, they're not taking anyone to court or sending out the sheriff. Tell them that you've exceeded the statue of limitations. The name and number of the agency changes almost monthly so don't bother trying to report them or look them up. If anything, just keep leading them on about paying but never do it. Wasting their time really pisses them off. Mention the FDCPA and pretty much laugh at them. Jordan Cohen is a collector name. Call him back and then ask to speak with Shaun Price. When he answers, ask him if you've reached Tom Ace. Tell him that you'll borrow the money from your rich uncle Dillard Winston III, lol.
View Quote

Never admit that the debt is yours.  That can reset the clock on SOL.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Go to your county civil court's website and do a search for the case, either yourself as the defendant or the case number, better to do both.

If it's not on file with the court, they didn't sue you, and they would have to sue you in your local jurisdiction.

If they are suing you, you would get served notice by a process server, if the process server cannot reach you after a certain period of time (usually 30 days or something), the plaintiff can petition the court to have your service sent certified mail.

If are being sued and you ignore it, the court will likely issue a judgement in favor of the plaintiff, after which they can legally garnish your bank account or worse garnish your wages.

If you think you are being sued check with the clerk of the court (county) and find out.  If you are being sued you have a limited amount of time to file a response to the suit, (could be as short as 10 days), so don't ignore it if you think it's legit.

Also, and I'm not sure where you live, but it sounds like there are several FDCPA violations on the part of the debt collector, could be some as well if your state has something similar to the federal one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 5:22:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 5:29:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Debt collectors suck. I get it, some people just won't own up and pay their debt but to lie to people and treat them like garbage? Would rather dine with cockroaches.

I "owed" PrimeCo (who remembers them?) and they came after me for $75. Relentless. I was 19 and scared at the time so I eventually paid them (even though I'm sure I didn't owe them shit) just to get rid of the phone calls. Should have told them to pound sand. (I was told I did not owe any money at time of service cancellation.)

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 5:35:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Why don't you pay your bills?

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Dave Ramsey......GREAT Advice.....Really!!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 6:22:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Not served papers?  No lawsuit.

"We sued you and won! "

"We'll give you a onetime low low price discount if you pay today!  Congratulations! "

"We'll sue you if you don't pay right now, no questions asked! "

All a bunch of bullshit tactics.  And they're not taking you to court over $1,000.  They can FOAD until you're proven to owe a debt.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 6:25:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Tell them it's their lucky day. And that you will send them a check for $10,000. All they have to do is keep their share but wire the rest to your partner in Nigeria.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 6:27:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, next time they call, you tell Michael Phelps to get back to swimmin', smokin' weed, and bangin' trannies.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 6:37:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 6:39:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've seen lawsuits over $ 1000  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sue you over $1,000

Yeah right

I'm sure the lawyer who handles 3 digit lawsuits is a real Matlock.

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#25]
It's a scam.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 7:35:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You need to write a letter to both the collection agency and HSBC and request that they cease and decist under the FDCPA.  

Then you need to take $35 down to the courthouse and Sue HSBC in small claims and request they wipe the debt, remove negative information from your credit report and refund your small claims filing fee.  

Believe me they will call and settle out of court.

I am all for paying debt but when the agency starts making threats you have to push back.  They can make your life hell and if you don't call them on it they will get worse and worse.
View Quote

Here you go.  This is the path to follow. DO NOT GIVE THEM ACCESS TO OUR OUR BANK ACCOUNT OR ANY CURRENT CREDIT CARD INFO.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sue you over $1,000

Yeah right
View Quote

I know a guy who has been sued over a (most likely) defective pretty old 8GB HDD. He did build a guy a brand new maschine and tossed the old HDD after data transfer and formatting the old HDD in his dump.

Years later the other guy decided that he wants the drive back and sued for it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Go to your county civil court's website and do a search for the case, either yourself as the defendant or the case number, better to do both.

If it's not on file with the court, they didn't sue you, and they would have to sue you in your local jurisdiction.

If they are suing you, you would get served notice by a process server, if the process server cannot reach you after a certain period of time (usually 30 days or something), the plaintiff can petition the court to have your service sent certified mail.

If are being sued and you ignore it, the court will likely issue a judgement in favor of the plaintiff, after which they can legally garnish your bank account or worse garnish your wages.

If you think you are being sued check with the clerk of the court (county) and find out.  If you are being sued you have a limited amount of time to file a response to the suit, (could be as short as 10 days), so don't ignore it if you think it's legit.

Also, and I'm not sure where you live, but it sounds like there are several FDCPA violations on the part of the debt collector, could be some as well if your state has something similar to the federal one.
View Quote

This by far is one of the most accurate replies in this thread.

They can and will sue you for even as little as 300 bucks. Why? Because they can and if they get a judgement against you, you will pay those fees also.

creditboards.com can be your friend.

Disregard ALL comments that pertain to laws of other states, they don't apply to you, only YOUR state laws apply.

In every case I've read about, I've yet to read where a plaintiff was awarded judgement only in the amount of what they actually paid for the debt.

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 7:47:10 AM EDT
[#29]
You need to pay your debts. Nothing worse than someone who won't honor thier commitments . You also need to clear out your voice mails.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You need to pay your debts. Nothing worse than someone who won't honor thier comity nets. You also need to clear out your voice mails.
View Quote

Sometimes people have hard times and sometimes people aren't as perfect as others around here.

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I've been getting calls for the same person on my business number for 11 years. BTW, anybody know a Terry L. Vankirk ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How old is the debt? There is a statute of limitations on credit card debt. Plus he cannot tell anyone but you anything. If he told your father he was going to sue you, it's illegal.

I've been getting calls for the same person on my business number for 11 years. BTW, anybody know a Terry L. Vankirk ?

I've been getting those same calls for few years. I forget the guy's name but I keep seeing the same 47 second voice mail every few months. That's how I know it's them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
They could send the serving paperwork to the post office and the court would set a date even if he didn't know about it.  I deal with small claims all day long.  People purposely serve random addresses because the date is set and if nobody shows up, notified or not, boom... instant judgment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know I had best buy card in the past,  I just can't remember how old it is, I will be home late morning to noon on Monday and will rush in my office to pull the file I have on all the debts I have paid and that are current from the information I pulled from my credit report.

So at this time I don't have much more information and I'm in the dark too.  I'm afraid to tell them to stop contacting me and then I'll be in the dark on what they do behind my back if they do actually proceed with a lawsuit and I'm not in the court room. If I'm not in the court based on my research, the judge will automatically award them the win.

They could send the serving paperwork to the post office and the court would set a date even if he didn't know about it.  I deal with small claims all day long.  People purposely serve random addresses because the date is set and if nobody shows up, notified or not, boom... instant judgment.
So the postmaster is signing on behalf of the person being served?

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My wife used to work for a collections agancy (secretary, not collector). They can and will harass you until you pay up. The agents work on commission and the guy you talked to has your file.

A lot of their cases are deadbeats that disappear without a valid forwarding address. So when they get a live one they sink their teeth in and don't let go.

If you refuse to pay they can get a judgment against you, even for "only" $1k.
View Quote

What people forget is MY side of the law. You actually CAN file a criminal report for harassment when they cross the line.... and crossing the line can be saying mean things over the phone. Most states have limitations and restrictions on how and when collection agencies can contact you. Veer off that narrow road, and they are meat for the grinder. Further, the deception he used to obtain information in the OP is illegal in many states -they have to be up front with you about who they are and why they are calling. People get so caught up in the civil side, they forget about the CRIMINAL side. Nothing funnier than calling one of those shithole places and telling them I'm conducting a criminal investigation regarding their contact with so-and-so. Even better when I start telling them to make sure not to destroy their recordings (they almost always record the conversations). Evidence, ya know. Usually ends up they clear the account in order to avoid having to deal with the possibility of a warrant. Doesn't happen enough because people don't know what these pissants can and cannot do, and how the law can help them. Any phone calls establishes jurisdiction in the location it was RECEIVED, and it doesn't make a difference where it was placed. Oh, and that jurisdictional waiver section in the card agreement doesn't affect filing a criminal complaint.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Ignore
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 8:27:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure it can.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sometimes people have hard times and sometimes people aren't as perfect as others around here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You need to pay your debts. Nothing worse than someone who won't honor thier comity nets. You also need to clear out your voice mails.

So avoiding paying it back or claiming that you are being harassed is the better course of action? I'm sure he was balls deep when he was charging on the card. All actions have consequences.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sounds like buddy is just some douche in a debt collectors office man.
View Quote

This. They are trying to scare you. However, if you owe it you should pay it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So avoiding paying it back or claiming that you are being harassed is the better course of action? I'm sure he was balls deep when he was charging on the card. All actions have consequences.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never stated that.

I'm glad you know the o.p. better than I do to be able to assume what you are and what you have.

Good bye.

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#39]
He is a debt collector. He is lying to you. Know how I know? He was talking. Don't give them anything without written confirmation. They are scum. He is not a lawyer. They will not sue for $1000. I dealt with them before. Don't trust anything they say. They will say or do just about anything to get paid. One made my wife cry in the phone.
Try to record EVERYTHING. IIRC you can file a report with the SEC if they get abusive. You can set the time and methods of communication. Tell them they may not call family members any more. Make them write to you. They are scum. They lie. They play with your emotions. They may collect on you then sell the debt to another collections agency. Get EVERYTHING in writing. They are scum. The lowest of the low. They don't care about anything but collecting. Not to put too fine a point on it but they are scum.

You can amuse yourself with the calls if you have that type of personality. Get them to lying and going in circles and trip them up on things they say. Did I mention they are scum?
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Debt collectors job is to lie lie lie and do whatever it takes to collect. You will not get sued over $1000. They will threaten you.  I had a few back  in The day. I tell them to f.o. and paid each one .one at a time.  I remember one my mom had from something. They called me and told me my mom died and I needed to pay $$$ to cover expenses... They are bad people.  Who don't care about anything other than collecting.  Stuff happens with jobs and life we just can't prevent.  I made sure everything got paid eventually.  Except 1 who won't deal and wants $1000 to cover a $300 debt.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Next time they call, inform them that you are recording the call if you are legally required to in your state. If you aren't required to inform, then you'll likely have numerous violations recorded to hold over their heads.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back in 1997 I was cleaning up my credit report in order to buy a house. I did some stupid shit with my credit in the mid-80s and had some bad debts specifically in this case a 1985 car loan.  I don't recall all the details, but the seven-year time limit supposedly started from the last "activity" on the account, whatever that means.  So some dirtbag collection agency kept telling me the last "activity" on this account was 1995, so that's why it kept getting reposted to my credit report in 1997. I fought those bastards for a few months and ultimately just threw some money at them to go away and stop crapping on my credit report.  And guess what?  Didn't work!  It finally fell off in 2002 or so.

Never believe a word any collections agency employee tells you about anything.  Lie, cheat, steal, misrepresent, threaten - it's what they do.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 8:48:16 AM EDT
[#43]
You have to go to college to be a truck driver?
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#44]
I refuse to help people who don't pay their debt.  The government has made it nearly impossible to collect money from DEAD BEATS, it's fucking pathetic.

For $1000, they can and will file suit (as they allegedly did).  Most of the time for cases such as this where there is a clear unpaid debt by the debtor, a summary judgement is filed and there is no actual trial.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry this is a bit lengthy. I am not trying to avoid a debt,  I am much happy to pay it to the original debitor which is HSBC Best Buy. I have been working on my debts that I messed up while in college, working on one at a time. Can't do all at once. But this one is now threating to sue me. So I need some suggestions to what is the best next step to resolve this situation.

So I have been getting private number calling me with no caller ID twice,  those time they called I was unable to answer. my voice-mail was full,  They ended up calling my father,  left message with him that it was urgent to call them otherwise they will file lawsuit against me. They left a number 626-346-2851 and case number. No name or company name or anything.

I called them, at first I asked who they were before I gave them my name. His name is Jordan Cohen,  he was very polite and nice, said that  They are Michael Phillips and associates. He said they are law firm based in California. He asked for case number, I gave it to him.  He said that someone was suing someone and needed my statement. I thought to myself if I recalled anyone asking me for permission to get a statement and no one did. He then proceeded and asked if my name was correct which it was. He had me on hold to get paperwork for the statement.

Jordan came back, told me my birthdate, which was correct, then told me if my last 4 social security number was correct. I was like how do you have all this information if it's just a statement you need for someone suing someone. He said that he couldn't say anything until I verified the number they gave me was correct. I said it was correct. His attitude changed right there, from there and on he was very demanding and said that they are suing me for a $1,000 debt with HSBC Best Buy credit card.  I asked if they are debt collector, he said well yeah sorta but more of a law firm. Then he proceeded to tell me that the judge has awarded them and that they won and I must pay the amount of $1,445.00 today and asked me for my payment information. I began to get more suspicious.

I asked him why I didn't get a letter about this first? He said they already did,  I said I never got anything. He checked the paper and said it was 2 months ago. I told him I never did receive a letter stating that I must pay or a lawsuit will be made on me.  He said let me check with my supervisor. Not more than 30 second he says they will settle with $1,000 if paid today with one full payment. Otherwise if I wanted monthly payments it will be a balance of $1,445.00 instead of $1,000.00.

I told him I can't pay that today because I don't have any document in my hands as I'm on the road,  I'm a truck driver. He said it's all legal and that the account was handed to them by HSBC and that I should pay today to avoid lawsuit. I started to get confused there as he said he won the suit, now saying there will be a lawsuit if I don't pay today.

Finally I told him that I will not pay a penny until I get a proof that I owe that debt to you via mail. He started to get agitated and pushy trying to get me to pay today and more threats on lawsuit as we went back and forth about the importance of needing a document before paying anything. He was also like let's save us both the trouble by making payment in full today.

I told him give me the account information and I'll contact HSBC to verify this.  He was like if you let us make out a agreement that you'll make payment in full on Monday 12/14/15 then we'll allow you to discuss with HSBC but we guarantee you they will tell you that it's Michael phillips and associates that is working with them to collect this debt.

So I told him fine and gave him my email to send the copy to me.  Now I have until Monday the 14th to figure this out.  

I did alot of research on the "firm",  can't find much with searching Michael phillips and associates, it only comes up to a medical doctor, so I tried phillips and Cohen associates, found some information on that,  doesn't look good.  Also when he emailed me,  there was another email address for reply to: which is [email protected],  found information on that too.

http://statesboro.biz/News/562/UPDATED-Junk-Debt-Collector-Phillips-Cohen-866-504-9784-You-re-About-To-Be-Sued.aspx

http://complaintwire.org/complaint/uF7916VxXws/beringer-taylor-associates

I refuse to pay a penny until I get documentation that I owe to them, but he is not wanting to do that and keeps throwing the lawsuit on me. So how can I get proof without them proceeding with the suit?

Depending on state, the 7 year rule has nothing to do with the actual debt collection, just the credit history.  The debt collection is based on the states statute of limitations, most states sit at 10 years, some, like Texas, are 4 years.

ETA: MN is 6 years from last account activity (not from debt origination date).
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sue you over $1,000

Yeah right

They don't have to be for most revolving debt collections.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
He is a debt collector. He is lying to you. Know how I know? He was talking. Don't give them anything without written confirmation. They are scum.
View Quote

Yea. The guy trying to collect legitimate admitted debt is scum, which makes the deadbeat debtor, what, exactly?  

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#48]
If people think a debt collector won't sue you for a grand or in this case $1446 bucks [or so] they are nuts.

The hard part is getting the address right to serve you [people move], they got that verified so OP may very well be getting a certified letter or served.

If they recorded him admitting the debt was valid........................

Most of these places LOVE if you ignore a court date, they pretty much win automatically and now can use the law to gain access to your bank accounts to garnish payment.

Yes they lie, cheat and steal. Of course people tend to forget they ALSO lied, cheated and stole when they failed to make payment on whatever shit they bought on credit. Of course in their case, they have a really good excuse.........................
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Couple of thoughts:

Creditboards.com is the ARF of credit, debt, etc. go there, register and read.  

If he said they have a judgement (without having one), he's violated the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.

He may have violated it more than once (by leaving a message about a lawsuit with your father).

You may want to contact a lawyer.    Even after you pay the debt, you may be entitled to collect on the violations of the FDCPA.

Have you pulled your credit report to see what's on there?

AFARR

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If they recorded him admitting the debt was valid........................

Most of these places LOVE if you ignore a court date, they pretty much win automatically and now can use the law to gain access to your bank accounts to garnish payment.

Yes they lie, cheat and steal. Of course people tend to forget they ALSO lied, cheated and stole when they failed to make payment on whatever shit they bought on credit. Of course in their case, they have a really good excuse.........................
View Quote

See my post above.    If they recorded him admitting it's valid...they also recorded themselves violating the FDCPA.     If they have a judgement (probably not, assuming what he said was mostly correct), they don't need to validate the debt.    

I agree he should pay the debt, but there's also penalties for the violations on their side also....
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top