Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/11/2023 11:33:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#1]
It’s a world.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#2]
In February, Superior Court Judge Craig Karsnitz ruled that Schrock had met the 20-year occupation requirement and Burton had not, so Burton was forced to hand the property title to Schrock.

View Quote

I don't understand the logic of this law. How does living on the land for 20 years entitle you to it legally?
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#3]
In many states if a squatter can prove the owner of the land knew they were "possessing" the land (aka putting a structure on it and/or living there) for more than 7 years, then they can claim the property as legally theirs. I learned that way back in real-estate school in the 70s.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Adverse possession is a thing everywhere
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#5]
And people wonder why someone will weld up a killdozer. Or retaliate in another fashion.
"I don't understand why they went berserk like that"
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#6]
COC prevents me from saying what I'd do.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I wonder if the squatter has been paying property taxes on it?
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Lol, that would not happen to me without multiple people meeting dire misfortune.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Straight up theft of property
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And people wonder why someone will weld up a killdozer. Or retaliate in another fashion.
"I don't understand why they went berserk like that"
View Quote

Yep.  Someone would very likely disappear.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't understand the logic of this law. How does living on the land for 20 years entitle you to it legally?
View Quote
Land rights need certainty to a degree.  At what point do rights stick when a landowner abandons their property?  Generally these don't apply to actual intentional trespassers, but to people who believe they have a right to land, though states vary.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lol, that would not happen to me without multiple people meeting dire misfortune.
View Quote

It truly is a good way for horrible shit to happen to you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Adverse possession
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Especially when you haven't paid property tax?
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just don't google "Hire A Hitman". You'll get an FFBI "Best Man".
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Did he lose the entire property or just the goat pen part?
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wonder if the squatter has been paying property taxes on it?
View Quote

Doubt it. And it's not a requirement for adverse possession in Delaware.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah..... I'm dealing with a squatter in a rural area right now that is next door.

Welcome to the new world.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#19]
This isn't a new thing.
In 1992 my landlord kept up a small island (1 acre, maybe) that was in a river next to his property and had been doing so for a long time.  He mentioned that he only needed to do it for another 5 years in order to be able to claim it as his.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Adverse possession
View Quote

Yep and it is a real law in Delaware.  We have a lot on the water at the beach, I routinely put PVC posts in the ground and rope the property off just for that reason, been doing it for decades.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Fuck squatters, if taxes are paid by the owner, then it’s not abandoned.

SSS is the correct answer here.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Calm down people. Spain will be along shortly to make things right as rain!  
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd be BBQing cabrito on that land.

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In many states if a squatter can prove the owner of the land knew they were "possessing" the land (aka putting a structure on it and/or living there) for more than 7 years, then they can claim the property as legally theirs. I learned that way back in real-estate school in the 70s.
View Quote

Which is why when arfcom posts neighbor disputes over property lines my advice is to go full retard and throw that shit out / revoke permission / absolutely don’t give permission to use your property for little things like gardens, driveways, yard barns, etc because of exactly this.

Fuck this grifter bitch.

I won’t be surprised to hear the original losing owner drove up from Atlanta and shoots her in the twat with a shotgun someday soon.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Wonder what would have happened had the guy took out a massive loan against the property. Congrats Melissa, you win possession of the land and all of its legal attachments, so, now you owe the bank $100,000 no free land for you.

Or donated it to antifa / blm as a commune property, good luck evicting your new arson loving neighbors.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Adverse possession is a thing. See it all the time in the panhandle of FL.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll never ever understand "squatters rights".
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I straight up do not understand how people get away with squatting.

Like if I went on vacation, and came home, and you were IN MY HOUSE, you'd either be leaving willingly or in a hearse. If you changed the lock I'd kick the door in and you'd be leaving in a hearse.

If for some reason the police got involved and told me you were "within your rights to stay in my house" then you'd disappear. If I couldn't make that happen I'd make life inside my house so incredibly difficult that you'd move out and never consider coming back.

A little bit of common sense and half of a pair of balls would go a long way towards ending this stupidity.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Did he lose the entire property or just the goat pen part?
View Quote
Sounds like the whole property.  Article stated goat pen took up 3/4 of an acre.  Unless Acreage in Delaware is going for 125k an acre.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I straight up do not understand how people get away with squatting.

Like if I went on vacation, and came home, and you were IN MY HOUSE, you'd either be leaving willingly or in a hearse. If you changed the lock I'd kick the door in and you'd be leaving in a hearse.

If for some reason the police got involved and told me you were "within your rights to stay in my house" then you'd disappear. If I couldn't make that happen I'd make life inside my house so incredibly difficult that you'd move out and never consider coming back.

A little bit of common sense and half of a pair of balls would go a long way towards ending this stupidity.
View Quote

Seems if you call the cops and they show a fake rental agreement, it becomes civil and you gotta go to court to evict.

That said, if you already threw them out by the time the cops come, it’s likely still a court issue and they can’t force you to let them back inside. Just another violence of action / maintaining the initiative solution where dallying results in fucking you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Let's say in the years going up to this - does anything prevent the actual property owner from building on their own property - riding their own dirtbikes, or putting a ton of farm animals on it?
It is THEIR property after all?
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#33]
This is exactly why "No Trespassing" must be vehemently enforced, and folks are crazy if they criticize land owners for doing so.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#34]
"The Rule in Shelley's Case"
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Looks over his fence line at 240 acres of abandoned farm.

The whole squatters' rights thing is just a bizarre branch of law that needs to be trimmed off.

What's the history behind them?
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#36]
People disappear all the time. It’s a real tragedy.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The whole squatters' rights thing is just a bizarre branch of law that needs to be trimmed off.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

As the United States was slowly settled by European colonialists, land ownership was chaotically established. The Homestead Acts legally recognized the concept of the homestead principle and distinguished it from squatting, since the law gave homesteaders a legal way to occupy "unclaimed" lands. The Homestead Act of 1862 was signed by Abraham Lincoln on May 20, 1862, and was enacted to foster the reallocation of "unsettled" land in the West. The law applied to US citizens and prospective citizens that had never borne arms against the US government. It required a five-year commitment, during which time the land owner had to build a twelve-by-fourteen foot dwelling, and develop or work the 160-acre (0.65 km2) plot of land allocated. After five years of positively contributing to the homestead, the applicant could file a request for the deed to the property, which entailed sending paperwork to the General Land Office in Washington, D.C. and, from there, "valid claims were granted patent free and clear".

Potter, Lee Ann; Schamel, Wynell (1997). "The Homestead Act of 1862". Social Education. 61 (6): 359–364. Archived from the original on July 14, 2011. Retrieved September 15, 2017.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Parliament passed England's first general statute limiting the right to recover possession of land in 1623.

At common law, if entitlement to possession of land was in dispute (originally only in what were known as real actions), the person claiming a right to possession was not allowed to allege that the land had come into their possession in the past (in older terminology that he had been 'put into seisin') at a time before the reign of Henry I. The law recognised a cutoff date going back into the past, before which date the law would not be interested. There was no requirement for a defendant to show any form of adverse possession. As time went on, the date was moved by statute—first to the reign of Henry II, and then to the reign of Richard I. No further changes were made of this kind. By the reign of Henry VIII the fact that there had been no changes to the cutoff date had become very inconvenient.

A new approach was taken whereby the person claiming possession had to show possession of the land for a continuous period, a certain number of years (60, 50 or 30 depending on the kind of claim made) before the date of the claim. Later statutes have shortened the limitation period in most common law jurisdictions.
View Quote

nullum tempus occurrit regi as the crown has different rules for them and for us.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
In February, Superior Court Judge Craig Karsnitz ruled that Schrock had met the 20-year occupation requirement and Burton had not, so Burton was forced to hand the property title to Schrock.

It is not your land. It is the King's land. And the King doesnt like land to go unutilized
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Rich guy buys acres upon acres and it sits there. Doing nothing. The powers that be for centuries didn't want that. "By vesting title in the industrious settler—rather than the absentee landowner—adverse possession promote[s] rapid development." - Understanding Property Law

Basically, abandoned property is not perpetually under the control of folks that don't give two shits about it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Property owner had two decades to take legal action and didn't. Just like with intellectual property, if you don't defend it. You lose it. That's why Jack Daniel's is suing the manufacturer of some dog toy.

Defend what you own.

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Which is why when arfcom posts neighbor disputes over property lines my advice is to go full retard and throw that shit out / revoke permission / absolutely don’t give permission to use your property for little things like gardens, driveways, yard barns, etc because of exactly this.

Fuck this grifter bitch.

I won’t be surprised to hear the original losing owner drove up from Atlanta and shoots her in the twat with a shotgun someday soon.
View Quote

It might actually be better to have the neighbor acknowledge that the use is with permission, because it would therefore be a permissive use and neither adverse possession nor easement by prescription can be founded upon permissive use.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Does she at least owe the actual owner 20 years of back taxes?
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Shoulda built a pig pen for very large pigs with umm trip hazards!
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Fuck this grifter bitch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck this grifter bitch.

Granting permission is one way to prevent adverse possession
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Does she at least owe the actual owner 20 years of back taxes?
View Quote

It sounds like there was also a dispute as to title. The article mentions that the disputed property was given to her mother by the father of the other party.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'll never ever understand "squatters rights".
View Quote

It's because you're not a filthy commie, so you wouldn't understand.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It is not your land. It is the King's land. And the King doesnt like land to go unutilized
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is precisely the root of it as well as eminent domain.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top