Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/13/2019 6:46:16 PM EDT
SLS program continues to be a complete dumpster fire, gets delayed further, NASA looking at commercial options for Orion spacecraft.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/03/nasa-to-consider-use-of-private-rockets-for-first-orion-lunar-mission/

On Wednesday morning, NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine appeared before the US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation to discuss how to ensure US leadership in space. He used the appearance to make what is, for the aerospace community at least, a shocking announcement about the oft-delayed first launch of NASA's Space Launch System (SLS) rocket and its Orion crew capsule.

"SLS is struggling to meet its schedule," he said. "We are now understanding better how difficult this project is, and it’s going to take some additional time. I want to be really clear. I think we as an agency need to stick to our commitment. If we tell you, and others, that we’re going to launch in June of 2020 around the Moon, I think we should launch around the Moon in June of 2020. And I think it can be done. We should consider, as an agency, all options to accomplish that objective."

And with that comment, Bridenstine opened the door to launching the Exploration Mission-1—which will not carry crew but will test Orion in a deep-space environment over three weeks—on commercial rockets.
View Quote
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/03/nasas-new-budget-raises-questions-about-the-future-of-its-sls-rocket/

With a Republican White House and a Democratic House of Representatives, it almost goes without saying that the President's fiscal year 2020 budget request won't get far within Congress. Yet with NASA's budget, there are intriguing hints about the increasingly commercial nature of lunar exploration.

Two sources familiar with the thinking of Vice President Mike Pence—who leads US space policy—have said he is frustrated with the slow pace of the nation's efforts to send humans to the Moon. In particular, he is growing tired of delays with NASA's Space Launch System rocket, which was originally due to launch in 2017 and is now likely delayed until 2021 at the earliest.
View Quote
The rhetoric against SLS is increasing rapidly.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Why is SLS even needed now?
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why is SLS even needed now?
View Quote
To funnel money to Boeing/LM/NG/etc and Alabama for Richard Shelby....
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm confused by his statement.. are we or are we not going to shot it around the moon in 2020?
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Congress critters will funnel money to it whether NASA wants it or not.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm confused by his statement.. are we or are we not going to shot it around the moon in 2020?
View Quote
They delayed the second stage development $$?
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Latest schedule I saw says we are.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#7]
just fucking use SpaceX

jesus christ this shit isn't rocket surgery
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
EM-1 is using a ULA 2nd stage. It is sitting at KSC waiting.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
The first iteration of SLS uses basically a Delta IV upper stage.

The SLS, Orion, and Ares so far have taken $50+billion... And the SLS uses no new engines and mostly shuttle hand-me-downs.

SLS is a dumpster fire of biblical proportions.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Didn't we build essentially the same thing 50 years ago using slide rules?
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
It uses Shuttle engines, Stretched Shuttle SRBS, RL-10 engines on the upper stage (a COTS rocket engine) and somehow it's still a half decade late and ~$20 billion over budget.

It will cost over a billion per launch not including the development costs. With those it's more like $3 billion (The cost of 20-30 Falcon Heavies) per launch if we launch more than 10 of them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw Orion, and thought it was going to be a nuclear propulsion ship.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The first iteration of SLS uses basically a Delta IV upper stage.

The SLS, Orion, and Ares so far have taken $50+billion... And the SLS uses no new engines and mostly shuttle hand-me-downs.

SLS is a dumpster fire of biblical proportions.
View Quote
I admit I don’t know much about the SLS project, other than the dumpster fire aspect.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It uses Shuttle engines, Stretched Shuttle SRBS, RL-10 engines on the upper stage (a COTS rocket engine) and somehow it's still a half decade late and ~$20 billion over budget.

It will cost over a billion per launch not including the development costs. With those it's more like $3 billion (The cost of 20-30 Falcon Heavies) per launch if we launch more than 10 of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With all the left over hardware, all they had to do was make sure they work together and not tear each other apart. That whole program is a train wreck.

One big problem NASA has is that they have no urgency, even with China pushing ahead they should be the new Russian competition.
Unfortunately, we live in a different era now, weaker minded Congress and NASA administrators begat weak programs. Many points of failure with too many unproductive mouths to feed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Color me shocked.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I admit I don’t know much about the SLS project, other than the dumpster fire aspect.
View Quote
It's basically a politically-mandated kludge of Shuttle parts adapted into an Apollo-style architecture.

It's primary mission is the launch and delivery of precious monetary cargo into Alabama for Richard Shelby and his MIC corporate sponsors.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank God for SpaceX. Holy shit we're so fucked when political corruption, billions of dollars and space exploration are combined together.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

With all the left over hardware, all they had to do was make sure they work together and not tear each other apart. That whole program is a train wreck.

One big problem NASA has is that they have no urgency, even with China pushing ahead they should be the new Russian competition.
Unfortunately, we live in a different era now, weaker minded Congress and NASA administrators begat weak programs. Many points of failure with too many unproductive mouths to feed.
View Quote
The thing is the US launch industry has made a complete 180 in the last few years, it's now the most competitive in the world. Just give out private contracts to SpaceX, Blue Origin, etc, to compete for and we'd have a moon base in under a decade for less than we're throwing away on SLS.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thank God for SpaceX. Holy shit we're so fucked when political corruption, billions of dollars and space exploration are combined together.
View Quote
Yep.

Space-X's plan to have a number of Falcon-9s prepared for short-notice launches makes ULA very very worried that they will just not be considered for any time critical launches.
Shit, ULA launched a month late from Vandenburg. They think that was just fine.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
just fucking use SpaceX

jesus christ this shit isn't rocket surgery
View Quote
When SpaceX beats SLS back to the moon, I think alot of people will finally draw that conclusion.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#22]
SpaceX hasn't killed anyone yet.  They will, eventually.

That said, I'm a fan of them and Blue Origin and any other company that wants to take a shot.

I'm okay with NASA taking some more time to get it right.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That said, I'm a fan of them and Blue Origin and any other company that wants to take a shot.

View Quote
SpaceX has alot of killing to do to catch up with NASA.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Virgin is trying to catch up.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
If we want to do anything other than dick around in space, people will eventually die.

People die driving, flying, and boating. The only way to be sure people don't die in space is if we stop going.

And if you think we shouldn't go to space because people might die, that is loser incel logic.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Couple small things:

Falcon Heavy was delayed 5 years and currently does not meet NASA safety specs for human travel.  It also has half the planned lift capacity of SLS final product.

Bottom line: there would need to be a FH version 2 to meet the govt need.  SpaceX is working a product called the BFR which might be able to meet that need.

That being said - the FH2 might be a better plan than continuing SLS.  But what can we get out of SLS sunk costs?  This is a discussion that will take the govt a year to sort out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Couple small things:

Falcon Heavy was delayed 5 years and currently does not meet NASA safety specs for human travel.  It also has half the planned lift capacity of SLS final product.

Bottom line: there would need to be a FH version 2 to meet the govt need.

That being said - the FH2 might be a better plan than continuing SLS.  But what can we get out of SLS sunk costs?  This is a discussion that will take the govt a year to sort out.
View Quote
BFR

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Couple small things:

Bottom line: there would need to be a FH version 2 to meet the govt need.

View Quote
SpaceX was never even all that interested in doing Falcon Heavy.  Their original plan was to go from Falcon 9 to BFR and eventually phase out F9.  Enough customers/potential customers asked for it that they said "fuck it, lets give it a shot, how hard can it be to strap 3 first stages together?"

As it turns out, kinda hard.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Everything is risky.

But private industry does basically everything better than the government. Besides wasting money uselessly.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, I was in the edit mode.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

SpaceX was never even all that interested in doing Falcon Heavy.  Their original plan was to go from Falcon 9 to BFR and eventually phase out F9.  Enough customers/potential customers asked for it that they said "fuck it, lets give it a shot, how hard can it be to strap 3 first stages together?"

View Quote
Additionally, F9 lift capacity has grown so much it is now launching payloads that were originally intended for FH
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I hear that Boeing has some excess capacity.

Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
The biggest reason Falcon Heavy got delayed is because they kept upgrading Falcon 9 over that same time period. You can't really do a three core when your core design keeps changing.

The current regular block 5 Falcon 9 is almost as powerful as the original Falcon Heavy design was. The first circa 2011 intended to be about Delta IVH size (~28 tonnes to LEO), now Falcon 9 can do 23 tonnes by itself now and Falcon Heavy's payload increased to 63 tonnes
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Elon Musk, the Huckster, doesn't have shit. His whole program is a sham bait to get government money to feed his failed organizations. all he lives off of are government handouts, like the 7500 he gets for each Teshamla sold.

We should be giving money to real god fairing American companies that aren't propped up by uncle sam, like Boeing, Lockmart, and BAE. Not Weed smoking, North Korea supprting fraudsters.

Edit: to prove this, they are building a fake rocket out in the desert, called a Hopper, lol. This thing has dents and huge weld seems, and yet he thinks people can get into space like that? Go smoke some more devils lettuce.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Falcon 9's design evolution:

Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If we want to do anything other than dick around in space, people will eventually die.

People die driving, flying, and boating. The only way to be sure people don't die in space is if we stop going.

And if you think we shouldn't go to space because people might die, that is loser incel logic.
View Quote
Just to be clear, I've spent a couple of decades working on spacecraft of one type or another.  Have several boxes on ISS, and am working on some for CST-100 (Starliner), Orion, and SLS.  Just a small contractor who makes small systems, but I'm proud of what we do.  Lots of other contractors out there who do much bigger tasks than us but we are trying to do our part.

So yeah, people are going to die in space but thousands of us are trying really hard not to let that happen.  No loser incel here
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Needs canceled immediately and everyone on the project fired for gross negligence.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
NASA has launch something like 900 people into space. No one has yet to fly on a space x vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

NASA has launch something like 900 people into space. No one has yet to fly on a space x vehicle.
View Quote
People died on NASA spacecraft that never even went into space
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
The only way for NASA to get a man or cargo to the ISS without flying on Russian engines is SpaceX.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Needs canceled immediately and everyone on the project fired for gross negligence.
View Quote
SLS, you mean?

Agreed.

Shitcan it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

SLS, you mean?

Agreed.

Shitcan it.
View Quote
NO SPACEX , They are frauds taking billions and Elon Mush is going to kill someone
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The only way for NASA to get a man or cargo to the ISS without flying on Russian engines is SpaceX.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And Obama put the task of flying crew in his lap how many years ago?
I was at KSC working on space shuttles that day.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

And Obama put the task of flying crew in his lap how many years ago?
I was at KSC working on space shuttles that day.
View Quote
They beat Boeing to the ISS with 30% less money.

Much less money and time than Orion BTW.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

NO SPACEX , They are frauds taking billions and Elon Mush is going to kill someone
View Quote
K den.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The government doesn't build anything.  Knowing a little about one of the ULA partners, I know the main reasons and they cross every possible topic.

During the NASP project the budget was split three ways, with the government office getting one third to administer the program.  In the end the product was airline miles for lots of people jetting around the country to meetings.
View Quote
Doesn't help when you have fifty layers of subcontractors either like many oldspace companies do.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup, but they knew how to use them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Space X will be on the moon before SLS has a test rocket.

The BFR is already going together, and I am not talking about the mock up/test rig in the desert.

I expect people to die, thats the nature of it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top