BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Freedom of the press pretty well covers it.
View Quote

Really?

What is he being prohibited from publishing or expressing?
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Really?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Freedom of the press pretty well covers it.

Really?

He's clearly being prohibited from recording and posting it to YT.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Really?

View Quote

Freedom of the press also protects the right to gather information from public people, places, for things to publish.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Gotta love the GD bootlicking statists
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It really is amazing. All it would take to not end up on YouTube looking like an idiot and/or losing the city’s money to a lawsuit, is to simply ignore the YouTubers if they aren’t doing anything illegal. That’s literally all they have to do; nothing. Yet there’s an endless amount of videos like the one in the OP. Mind blowing. The need for others to respect their authority must cloud their little brains. There’s no other explanation.
View Quote

That sounds complicated. It's easier to simply attack people I don't like.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Shitty cops can get fired.

Creepy fucking asshats who insist on trying to act like terrorists while recording folks trying to live their fucking lives can't.

In truth the cops should have never even been called here, because it should be perfectly legal for the people working in that building to come out and pummel the fucking jackass within an inch of his for refusing to leave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well hell,  let's hear your debate.

Shitty cops can get fired.

Creepy fucking asshats who insist on trying to act like terrorists while recording folks trying to live their fucking lives can't.

In truth the cops should have never even been called here, because it should be perfectly legal for the people working in that building to come out and pummel the fucking jackass within an inch of his for refusing to leave.

Why?  Look these "1st amendment auditors" are fucking stupid i get it but just ignore them and they will leave.  Standing on the side of the road recording shit is dumb as fuck but its not a crime.

Sitting a a stop light saw some guy standing out front of a weed store last week recording. The cop showed up, spoke 2 words to the dude and then left. Smart cop.  

10-8 GOA
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Freedom of the press also protects the right to gather information from public people, places, and things to publish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Freedom of the press also protects the right to gather information from public people, places, and things to publish.

With some caveats.

I read somewhere that it only counts if you actually intend to publish and share the work. If you're recording just for your own amusement, or for your private collection or something, that is no longer a protected activity.

Taking video to post on YouTube, even if it's not monetized, is enough to count as press/journalism though, iirc.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Lol, I’m not a cop, tried it about 15 ago, didn’t care for it.  In fact I’m bashing shitty cops in two other threads in GD right now.

I haven’t defended the cop in this thread.  Not once.  I just expressed my opinion that these “first amendment auditors” are scum, and that has a lot of folks here but hurt.

Again, for whole class since everyone wants to dance around the question but not actually answer it…. which right was the “auditor” here exercising?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if you realize how badly your comments damage your line of work.  It's like you are either unwilling to understand how poorly your comments make you look, or you're simply unable to realize that violating people's rights as a LEO undermines western civilization.

Lol, I’m not a cop, tried it about 15 ago, didn’t care for it.  In fact I’m bashing shitty cops in two other threads in GD right now.

I haven’t defended the cop in this thread.  Not once.  I just expressed my opinion that these “first amendment auditors” are scum, and that has a lot of folks here but hurt.

Again, for whole class since everyone wants to dance around the question but not actually answer it…. which right was the “auditor” here exercising?

You're not defending the cop.  Classic "not defending" by putting all of the blame and story on the guy that was illegally assaulted and arrested and ignoring the side of the story that is clearly in the wrong.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
To save everybody some trouble, it's a video by one of those "audits" douchebags.
View Quote

lol...
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I haven’t watched the video, I won’t reward the morons who make it with the click revenue.

These same guys showed up in front of my workplace nearby a year or so ago. They were total jerks, asked leading questions and made veiled accusations trying to get a negative reaction for them to post online. Please don’t reward their behavior by helping them get paid for these videos.

I know the officer personally, I’ve done gun work for him. He’s a solid dude, a good man and this isn’t the first time he’s had to deal with these scumbags.
View Quote

Naw. Your buddy is a pos. Hope he loses everything.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#11]
my neck of the woods.

damn literally, this is one block from my work.  I take that road all the time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He's clearly being prohibited from recording and posting it to YT.
View Quote

If the cop did indeed illegally arrest the guy, he violated his 4th and 5th Amendment rights.  

If the cop did indeed delete the footage deliberately, I would say he also violated his 1st Amendment rights as well.

But that isn’t really what I asked (admittedly I kinda sidetracked myself).

Freedom of the press has “grown” almost as much as “the freedom to keep and bear arms” has shrunk.  Assholes with cameras (both professional and amateur) have become some sort of fucking supercitizen (as long as they have the right political bent anyway).  

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

With some caveats.

I read somewhere that it only counts if you actually intend to publish and share the work. If you're recording just for your own amusement, or for your private collection or something, that is no longer a protected activity.

Taking video to post on YouTube, even if it's not monetized, is enough to count as press/journalism though, iirc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

With some caveats.

I would love to see a citation for the idea that the first only applies to those intending to publish.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You're not defending the cop.  Classic "not defending" by putting all of the blame and story on the guy that was illegally assaulted and arrested and ignoring the side of the story that is clearly in the wrong.
View Quote

Are you saying it's wrong to vilify the victim in an attempt to make those at fault look more reasonable?

*GASP!*
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In before the TBL and bootlickers make excuses for the bumbass cop?
View Quote
Dude you are way too late for that!
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh, there are plenty of people here bashing the cop.  I saw a good infilled niche for pointing out that first amendment “auditors” are scum.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To save everybody some trouble, it's a video by one of those "audits" douchebags.
View Quote

The audit dudes are fucking annoying, but they sure do show us which cops are complete criminals.

So, more power to the auditors.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would love to see a citation for the idea that the first only applies to those intending to publish.
View Quote

I wish I could remember where I read that. It was pretty recent, and I most likely stumbled on it while Wiki-walking during a related thread here. I think there was a court case cited, but I didn't expect it to be on today's quiz so I just skimmed over it.

I'll try to track it down, but no promises.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Meh, there are plenty of people here bashing the cop.  I saw a good infilled niche for pointing out that first amendment “auditors” are scum.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It only took you four pages to concede that the cop may have violated the auditor's rights.  That's impressive.  But not as impressive as going back to complaining that the first amendment is providing more protections than ever, which is an odd complaint by the way.

PS: Most auditors are irritating.  I wish the cops would put them all out of business.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Doesn't really matter. One of them came asking for trouble, one came looking for trouble.
They both got what they wanted, and probably went home happy.
View Quote

I hope to god you're not a cop.

That was a criminal attack on a guy being at worst a dick. So, it is ok to violate the rights of a citizen because they are a dick.

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Debatable.
View Quote

My ignore list is getting full of a bunch of JBTs.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven’t watched the video, I won’t reward the morons who make it with the click revenue.

These same guys showed up in front of my workplace nearby a year or so ago. They were total jerks, asked leading questions and made veiled accusations trying to get a negative reaction for them to post online. Please don’t reward their behavior by helping them get paid for these videos.

I know the officer personally, I’ve done gun work for him. He’s a solid dude, a good man and this isn’t the first time he’s had to deal with these scumbags.

Seems to be the case. My kid works at Dove.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

"First Amendment auditors" exist because Youtube has a very lucrative monetization policy for anyone who undermines traditional Western civilization such as law enforcement.
View Quote

as long as it shines a light on bad cops, i will gladly pay it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah.  Unfortunately, the cop will likely get away with it.
View Quote

but the tax payers will pay higher taxes to pay for the lawsuit. Good, it should hurt to be that stupid.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This. These guys go looking for trouble.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. These guys go looking for trouble.  
Yup, and it amazes me how many cops are ignorant of the laws they are supposed to be upholding, never mind their lack of self control and willingness to violate people rights. Maybe it's just this economy but it seems police departments are really scraping the bottom of the barrel when it come to hiring.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Didn’t say it's okay, BUT...

If you go around asking for trouble, it'll find you.
Frankly, this looks like a case of 2 dumbasses colliding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then it's okay?

Didn’t say it's okay, BUT...

If you go around asking for trouble, it'll find you.
Frankly, this looks like a case of 2 dumbasses colliding.

Except one is a Cop….
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Oh look, someone looking for confrontation and trouble found some
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My ignore list is getting full of a bunch of JBTs.
View Quote

I call out shitty cop behavior all the fucking time on this site.  Hell, back on page 1 or 2 of this fucking thread I said if the cop should be fired or prosecuted, depending on what happened on the rest of the deleted footage.

This particular case just happened to involve a class of “people” that I dislike just as much.

Lots of camera-gobblers on this site, apparently.  Shitty media has done a hell of a lot more damage to our republic in my lifetime than shitty cops.

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're talking about the deputy, right?

He's the one that showed up looking for a fight.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

He's a professional, but the other guy shouldn't have put him in a position to violate his rights.
View Quote

Stop making me hurt you!
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I haven't watched the video, I won't reward the morons who make it with the click revenue.

These same guys showed up in front of my workplace nearby a year or so ago. They were total jerks, asked leading questions and made veiled accusations trying to get a negative reaction for them to post online. Please don't reward their behavior by helping them get paid for these videos.

I know the officer personally, I've done gun work for him. He's a solid dude, a good man and this isn't the first time he's had to deal with these scumbags.
View Quote
Your definition of solid and good must be different than mine. Video shows he is a hot head and "If it's true" that he deleted video from the dumbasses camera and charged him with assault he is also a fucking crooked cop and a liar.

edit to add: You say he has dealt these people before yet he isn't smart enough not to fall for their BS I would say not only is a hot headed crooked lying cop he is also pretty fucking stupid
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Before the deputy arrived the 1stAA was assaulted by the dove data employee. The deputy in his haste to white knight for the guy took no time to investigate the 1stAA’s claim. I don’t understand LEO’s problem with someone standing beside the road doing whatever retarded thing they feel like doing. I would politely suggest they move along as I have done countless times. The deputy erasing the video paints a bad picture of his stupidity and integrity all on its own.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Your definition of solid and good must be different than mine. Video shows he is a hot head and "If it's true" that he deleted video from the dumbasses camera and charged him with assault he is also a fucking crooked cop and a liar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven't watched the video, I won't reward the morons who make it with the click revenue.

These same guys showed up in front of my workplace nearby a year or so ago. They were total jerks, asked leading questions and made veiled accusations trying to get a negative reaction for them to post online. Please don't reward their behavior by helping them get paid for these videos.

I know the officer personally, I've done gun work for him. He's a solid dude, a good man and this isn't the first time he's had to deal with these scumbags.

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if you realize how badly your comments damage your line of work.  It's like you are either unwilling to understand how poorly your comments make you look, or you're simply unable to realize that violating people's rights as a LEO undermines western civilization.

So, if you walk up on some guy out filming in public, and he happens to film you while doing so, you think it's a-ok to kick his ass.

Got it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

He's a professional, but the other guy shouldn't have put him in a position to violate his rights.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Debatable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those guys are annoying douchebags, true, but they aren’t a threat to an orderly society like lying sack of shit cops.

Debatable.

If anything, they're doing a public service by baiting out POS cops to protect honest Americans. That's a rough job, and until the oft-hypothesized "good apples" start, someone without their badges will have to do it. How does the saying go - it's the man in the arena who counts? Whiny assholes standing on the walls with cameras because polite men won't?
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Gotta love the GD bootlicking statists
View Quote

Agents of the state.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously not a wife beater
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So, if you walk up on some guy out filming in public, and he happens to film you while doing so, you think it's a-ok to kick his ass.

Got it.
View Quote

Legally?   No.  Not even close.

Morally?  If I tell him not to and he keeps on doing it… kinda.

Morally when he’s acting like most of these “auditors”… i.e. harassing, annoying, and deliberately trying to provoke a response?  You damn betcha.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you’re saying he hasn’t learned any lessons from his past encounters, in how to deal with them? Doesn’t sound very bright to me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/confused-britney-spears--83.gif

Sarcasm is a skill that most are familiar with, but few master.

You are in the presence of a master.

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Legally?   No.  Not even close.

Morally?  If I tell him not to and he keeps on doing it… kinda.

Morally when he’s acting like most of these “auditors”… i.e. harassing, annoying, and deliberately trying to provoke a response?  You damn betcha.
View Quote

Then you're a fool and I hope you never run into one. You going to jail and losing your rights would be a huge win for them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#43]
The boot lickers come out of the woodwork on this site. Fucking sad.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Based on the officer's demeanor, it seems pretty clear he wasn't there to just ask a few questions. He intended to intimidate, arrest, and/or assault the auditor from the start.
View Quote

That was my thought as well. The cop was crowding the cameraman with hands in his pockets to initiate a bump and claim he was assaulted. It was personal, otherwise one of the other officers would’ve accompanied him during the interaction. The cop was going to f someone up, his mind was probably made up before arriving at the scene. The others seem to be willing accomplices…

ETA: If those auditor types are willing to get their ass kicked to expose bad cops, I’m okay with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's your answer.

Auditors film in public places because they have a pretty good idea that people they film (which they have a right to do, as the courts have ruled there is no expectation of privacy in public-it's how shows like COPS, Live PD, and On Patrol: Live get away with having film crews following cops around) will eventually call the cops. The auditors don't necessarily give a shit about filming that business. They give a shit about filming the police (government) response to their legal behavior.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It only took you four pages to concede that the cop may have violated the auditor's rights.  That's impressive.  But not as impressive as going back to complaining that the first amendment is providing more protections than ever, which is an odd complaint by the way.

PS: Most auditors are irritating.  I wish the cops would put them all out of business.
View Quote

I do too! They would put them out of business by walking away. Too difficult to do that though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#47]
At least the good apples stepped in. Like moths to a flame in one easy step.

At least criminals are really stupid, as I have seen posted many times.

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope that you've never done anything that skirts any laws or ATF regs in the process of your "gun work" for him. Your friend seems to have a dim view of constitutional rights - he probably wouldn't hesitate to violently arrest you.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Then you're a fool and I hope you never run into one. You going to jail and losing your rights would be a huge win for them.
View Quote

Lol.

Your concern is noted.  Some people do have a modicum of self control, you know.  I am perfectly capable of recognizing asshats that deserve a beating without giving it to them.  It doesn’t help my blood pressure, but neither would prison.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Here's your answer.

Auditors film in public places because they have a pretty good idea that people they film (which they have a right to do, as the courts have ruled there is no expectation of privacy in public-it's how shows like COPS, Live PD, and On Patrol: Live get away with having film crews following cops around) will eventually call the cops. The auditors don't necessarily give a shit about filming that business. They give a shit about filming the police (government) response to their legal behavior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's your answer.

Sometimes the police get it right, too. Here's a video where the business tried to escalate things by making false accusations about the auditor having a gun, and the police read her the riot act for it. She should have been charged in my opinion, but it's still a win and I'm happy the police involved were able to see what was really going on there, and identify who the actual aggressors were.

Cops Defend Citizen From False 911 Caller

And for those that claim the auditors never post videos of the positive encounters:

Good Cop Stands Up For Man's Rights

The most amazing part about all if this is how many videos I had to sort through to find these two specific videos I was looking for. There are a LOT of videos out there documenting police interactions, both good and bad.

Seriously, don't just take my word for it. Do a search yourself and see how many hits pop up, both good and bad. It's a very long and deep rabbit hole to get lost in, but you can learn a lot of interesting legal trivia along the way.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top