Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:04:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:05:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All I can say is at least you meant well, OP.

View Quote

By creating an abomination that Detroit, Chicago, and New York would all shun and not even call their own?

I think not!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:05:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Jet's [/thread]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:14:11 AM EDT
[#4]
If it was venison pepperoni or a spicy sausage we'd be talking a great pizza. Still, it looks edible.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:31:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

By creating an abomination that Detroit, Chicago, and New York would all shun and not even call their own?

I think not!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All I can say is at least you meant well, OP.

I think not!!!

Those living in carryout houses should not throw stones!
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:42:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I read the title and pondered how I never heard of Detroit style pizza before.

Now that I opened the thread I understand why no one ever talks about it.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:14:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Isn't that Chicago style?
View Quote

Had Chicago (in Chicago) and it looks similar. I'm sure someone from Chicago and Detroit will be around to beat me down on this.

They both look good. Good as in one slice of this and I won't eat again until tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:17:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Had Chicago (in Chicago) and it looks similar. I'm sure someone from Chicago and Detroit will be around to beat me down on this.

They both look good. Good as in one slice of this and I won't eat again until tomorrow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:19:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Not Detroit, and looks like shit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:21:15 AM EDT
[#10]
OP, I just rolled in at zero two.......I'll eat that 'pizza'.......I got PT in three hours.  Need some soakage.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:21:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds good but looks bad. Like pecan pie gone wrong.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#12]

LOL
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#14]
this is why Kentucky is not known for their "pizza".

please stick to distilling.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:40:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Jesus that thing is so big you would have to hire a UAW crew just to lift it up to your face.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Detroit-style pizza uses Wisconsin Muenster Brick cheese.  Neither mozzarella, provolone, nor any other kind of cheese touches a Detroit pizza.

Edited:  Thanks, @diesel1
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Isn’t that where Papa John’s came from? Their pizza needs dipping sauces in order to be somewhat edible.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks like a Chicago deep-dish to me.

And anyone saying Detroit style is good, or even a thing, is wrong.

View Quote
Your mom's wrong!
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#19]
WTF
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Detroit-style pizza uses Wisconsin Muenster cheese.  Neither mozzarella, provolone, nor any other kind of cheese touches a Detroit pizza.
View Quote

Wiki says Wisconsin Brick Cheese. Just bought some from the "Mars Cheese Castle" off I94 near Kenosha.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit-style_pizza

Going to clean up some Allison transmission oil pans and re-purpose them for authentic retro Detroit Pizza.

And a plug for the Cheese Castle: https://www.marscheese.com/#  Bit of a tourist trap and somewhat pricey but a cool place anyways.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:57:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wiki says Wisconsin Brick Cheese. Just bought some from the "Mars Cheese Castle" off I94 near Kenosha.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit-style_pizza

Going to clean up some Allison transmission oil pans and re-purpose them for authentic retro Detroit Pizza.
View Quote

You're right.  I don't know why I said "Muenster."  It felt wrong and I rolled with it.

Ceiling Cat needs more coffee.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:58:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Barstool Pizza Review - Michigan & Trumbull (Detroit, MI)
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Isn’t that where Papa John’s came from? Their pizza needs dipping sauces in order to be somewhat edible.
View Quote

i don't know.

all i know is the pizza is the ONLY redeeming thing my shit-hole state has going for it LOL.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Also the NY style is the best style. Hands down my favorite is a local place, and while it doesn't look like much the sauce is what makes it. Its incredible.

Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#25]
That’s not Detroit style pizza by any stretch of the imagination.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looks like pottery.  
View Quote

I think pottery would be less dense than that loaf of a “crust”.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:16:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And a plug for the Cheese Castle: https://www.marscheese.com/#  Bit of a tourist trap and somewhat pricey but a cool place anyways.
View Quote

Mars Cheese Castle is absolutely destination worthy. Cool little military museum near there too. Plus Uncle Mike's - it was one of my favorite Kenosha bars - just looked and they're not open for Sunday breakfast any more. Sad. And Woodman's! The best grocery chain - that liquor store was my Graceland. Man every trip through that town was $$.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

What? Kentucky Pizza cake is not appetizing?
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What? Kentucky Pizza cake is not appetizing?
View Quote

about as appetizing as NJ "BBQ".
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

i don't know.

all i know is the pizza is the ONLY redeeming thing my shit-hole state has going for it LOL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i don't know.

There are a lot of NJ and PA places that make good pizza.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Wood eat.  

Who cares how it's arranged.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#34]

That video actually made Detroit look good for a few seconds. I loved how they showed Cecil’s famous home run. The chick who tried to shill for Dearborn Meat Market was hot. The pizza looked fucking awesome. I need to try that place next time I visit home. Normally I am leery of newer Detroit-style imitations that aren’t part of the original Buddy’s family tree.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#36]
That's Chicago style.

Edit Chicago style doesn't have the second layer of crust. And would be much better.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That video actually made Detroit look good for a few seconds. I loved how they showed Cecil’s famous home run. The chick who tried to shill for Dearborn Meat Market was hot. The pizza looked fucking awesome. I need to try that place next time I visit home. Normally I am leery of newer Detroit-style imitations that aren’t part of the original Buddy’s family tree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If you're ever in Tampa try this place on SOHO.

https://www.sallyonealspizza.com/

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Here you go OP. An ex-Detroiter here.

1. Order one of these: https://detroitstylepizza.com/collections/featured-products/products/8-x-10-authentic-steel-detroit-style-pizza-pan I highly recommend the preseasoned pan, +$10 but it will save you lots of time and you can make a pizza the same day it arrives.  

2. Make this one next time: https://www.seriouseats.com/detroit-style-pizza-recipe

This is what it should look like.....slightly burnt cheese on the edge is required.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I didn’t have a square pan to do true Detroit style. Buttons are deceiving, there’s  very little bread. Lots of cheese, topped with sauce. Usually I don’t add meat but I wanted to use up the venison.
View Quote

I believe that's considered "Welfare Style".
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

OP was trying to emulate Pizzapapalis.  It's what Detroit style pizza should be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's not Detroit style, having consulted for both Buddy's Pizza and Little Caesars. However it's not bad.

OP was trying to emulate Pizzapapalis.  It's what Detroit style pizza should be.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no

Pizzapapalis is - as the name would indicate - Greek type pizza. It has that biscuity crust and is thick. Often has unnecessary greenery on it. Take that elsewhere, it’s not Detroit style.

Detroit style is finally getting it’s day in the sun. It’s so Detroit, too: The pans they originally used to make it in were part trays from some assembly line. Possibly stolen, but it’s so tasty I’ll allow it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You coulda just ordered Jets
View Quote

I had a buddy that lived in Cary. Ate jets all the time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I read the title and pondered how I never heard of Detroit style pizza before.

Now that I opened the thread I understand why no one ever talks about it.  
View Quote

Fix your life. It’s that good.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#44]

Dang that’s got to be surreal anymore to be a restaurateur. I have no idea who that guy is but I’ve heard of Barstool sports. If I had a place and he rolled up I’d have no clue who he was, yet two people (the girl that worked there and the cutie that rolled up twice) recognized the guy.

Cool little place though. I have good memories of Tiger Stadium but no way am I driving all that way for a $10 pie… there are at least 4 Buddy’s closer, and I made Detroit style pizza every bit as good as Buddy’s from the Cooks Country recipe.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'd eat it.......  at gunpoint.
View Quote

Nope, just shoot me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Detroit, Kansas
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#47]
It look tasty, but it is not Detroit style. I'm not even sure what style it is, or if it fits a style. That said, I'd eat it, looks like it tastes good.

Adding some homemade pizza pics to save this thread:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Looks like it to me with all that sauce on top.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#49]
ATOP the cheese. ATOP!
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You coulda just ordered Jets
View Quote

Bingo!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top