Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

For what it's worth, last time we had it appraised for insurance, it was worth more than when we bought it.

That's a good one. Hey - no problem if both of you agree, but like I said: I will NEVER buy a diamond again after reading that article I linked to. In reference to your diamond being worth more than what you bought it for, you might want to skip to read just these pages:

Retail jewelers, especially the prestigious Fifth Avenue stores, prefer not to buy back diamonds from customers, because the offer they would make would most likely be considered ridiculously low. The "keystone," or markup, on a diamond and its setting may range from 100 to 200 percent, depending on the policy of the store; if it bought diamonds back from customers, it would have to buy them back at wholesale prices. Most jewelers would prefer not to make a customer an offer that might be deemed insulting and also might undercut the widely held notion that diamonds go up in value. Moreover, since retailers generally receive their diamonds from wholesalers on consignment, and need not pay for them until they are sold, they would not readily risk their own cash to buy diamonds from customers. Rather than offer customers a fraction of what they paid for diamonds, retail jewelers almost invariably recommend to their clients firms that specialize in buying diamonds "retail."

The firm perhaps most frequently recommended by New York jewelry shops is Empire Diamonds Corporation, which is situated on the sixty-sixth floor of theEmpire State Building, in midtown Manhattan. Empire's reception room, whichresembles a doctor's office, is usually crowded with elderly women who sitnervously in plastic chairs waiting for their names to be called. One by one,they are ushered into a small examining room, where an appraiser scrutinizestheir diamonds and makes them a cash offer. "We usually can't pay more than amaximum of 90 percent of the current wholesale price," says Jack Brod,president of Empire Diamonds. "In most cases we have to pay less, since thesetting has to be discarded, and we have to leave a margin for error in ourevaluation—especially if the diamond is mounted in a setting." Empire removes the diamonds from their settings, which are sold as scrap, and resells them to wholesalers. Because of the steep markup on diamonds, individuals who buy retail and in effect sell wholesale often suffer enormous losses. For example, Brod estimates that a half-carat diamond ring, which might cost $2,000 at a retail jewelry store, could be sold for only $600 at Empire.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1982/02/have-you-ever-tried-to-sell-a-diamond/4575/4/

Biggest scam ever. If people ever get the notions that "diamonds are forever" is a bunch of nonsense, the diamond market will crater like a house of cards. It's precisely the idea that once you buy a diamond you never sell it is what keeps this scam going - all through clever marketing...

I suppose, but  we are both happy with our choice so I think that is all that really matters.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy a diamond ring you can afford, don't be stupid:

They ALL want a diamond ring, WHATEVER they say.

If you buy CZ you will be buying a diamond in a few years.

That is what my sister thought, but she got a divorce instead.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My girlfriend and I have been talking alot about getting married. I think I will give her a ring soon. I am debating between a diamond and a CZ. Either way, I will be sure to have the stone put in a nice setting. I have read so much that says the diamond market is nothing but a huge scam, and diamonds are a terrible investment. I have also read that there are good quality cz's that no one would ever be able to tell apart from a real diamond. I can spend $1000 on a nice CZ engagement ring and use the rest of the money for more important things, or I can spend $5-10k on a diamond. Thoughts??

My girlfriend is fine with a CZ btw.

You have much to learn, my friend . . .

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#5]
1. Buy a lightly used engagement ring

2. Save money

3. Get pie for having bought an actual diamond
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Just remember that the only thing separating $5000 or so from drains, rivers, fields, or other people is a little friction.  

Would you roll up a $5000 check and tape it to your finger?
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You and her read this story: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1982/02/have-you-ever-tried-to-sell-a-diamond/4575/

If she still wants a diamond ring, then find a new GF/fiance.

[ETA] Seems like the size/cost of the diamond/wedding ring is only an issue with young women or newlyweds. It's a crapload of money down the tubes that can be spent on something much more useful than a glittering piece of carbon.

Ain't that the truth!!!!

I love my wife dearly. However, she recieved about a 200 dollar engagement ring with a matching 200 dollar diamond for a ruby/diamond set. She was very happy with it.

If she was marying me for the ring, I would have looked elsewhere. If you're gonna get a girl who is upset they didn't get a fancy ring, how selfish are they gonna be when they have to devote loads of time to a household and kids? I've seen that type of woman. It's not condusive to a good marraige.

I should mention that I could have easily afforded, in cash, a 10k dollar ring at the time.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what you all are saying is:  Bend over and buy something that has NO purpose, NO value, and does NOTHING besides assuage the womenfolk?  

Sorry, but I'd rather not and invest that money so it can do something productive instead of devaluing itself.

Buy fake gemstones for fake marriages.

Do you consider a lab-produced diamond "fake"?

I don't.

It is EXACTLY the same, almost impossible to detect as different unless there's a serial number on it or they do some pretty complicated testing. The chemical composition, everything is the same. It's just where it was made. It's like getting water by combining pure hydrogen and pure oxygen together in a lab rather than scooping it out of the river... it IS water.

Now, CZ, etc, those are what I would consider "fake" diamonds. Because they aren't diamonds.

They have a handheld tool that tests heat conductivity. They can tell pretty easily... Get the diamond dude. Dont be an idiot... 99.99% of girls want a diamond. Get the best one YOU CAN AFFORD (no need to go into massive debt) and if she loves you she will love it...

Preytell, how does the thermal conductivity of a diamond from the ground differ from a diamond from a lab?
It doesn't. Lab diamonds are exactly identical to earth diamonds but for one exception; lab diamonds have no imperfections.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Emerald or some other colored stone.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what you all are saying is: Bend over and buy something that has NO purpose, NO value, and does NOTHING besides assuage the womenfolk?

Sorry, but I'd rather not and invest that money so it can do something productive instead of devaluing itself.

My wife would have been happy with a sliver ring, or a brass ring for that matter.

If your relationship is based on the value of material goods you can give her...

That's just sad. I feel terrible that so many people think this way. Makes me appreciate my wife even more.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Don't be a fool. It's a test.

Sell your left nut if you have too, but get the diamond.

The test goes both ways.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what you all are saying is:  Bend over and buy something that has NO purpose, NO value, and does NOTHING besides assuage the womenfolk?  

I don't.

It is EXACTLY the same, almost impossible to detect as different unless there's a serial number on it or they do some pretty complicated testing. The chemical composition, everything is the same. It's just where it was made. It's like getting water by combining pure hydrogen and pure oxygen together in a lab rather than scooping it out of the river... it IS water.

Now, CZ, etc, those are what I would consider "fake" diamonds. Because they aren't diamonds.

They have a handheld tool that tests heat conductivity. They can tell pretty easily... Get the diamond dude. Dont be an idiot... 99.99% of girls want a diamond. Get the best one YOU CAN AFFORD (no need to go into massive debt) and if she loves you she will love it...

Preytell, how does the thermal conductivity of a diamond from the ground differ from a diamond from a lab?
It doesn't. Lab diamonds are exactly identical to earth diamonds but for one exception; lab diamonds have no imperfections.

+1 A diamond is a diamond no matter who made it.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder how many anti-diamond posters have very nice vehicles or safe queen guns & accessories worth many thousands of dollars. For all their bluster of "it's a tool, you get what you pay for, etc." How much did the car depreciate last year?
I bought a modest but nice stone from a jeweler that's a family friend. Wife didn't demand a diamond; suggested a plain band. I gave it because I wanted to - it's a nice thing to think of someone besides yourself and give them presents.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
So what you all are saying is: Bend over and buy something that has NO purpose, NO value, and does NOTHING besides assuage the womenfolk?

My wife would have been happy with a sliver ring, or a brass ring for that matter.

If your relationship is based on the value of material goods you can give her...

That's just sad. I feel terrible that so many people think this way. Makes me appreciate my wife even more.

My wife would have been happy with a brass ring if that is all I could afford. That's not the point.  
We could all walk around dirty and unshaven dressed in sack cloth too, to save money, but we don't.

Not most of us anyway.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I have also read that there are good quality cz's that no one would ever be able to tell apart from a real diamond

Except by the jeweler she brings it to when she wants to find out how much it really cost. I recently heard my friend's gf having this conversation with her friends. They were all talking about which place they should bring their ring to so they can find out how much the guy really spent.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wonder how many anti-diamond posters have very nice vehicles or safe queen guns & accessories worth many thousands of dollars. For all their bluster of "it's a tool, you get what you pay for, etc." How much did the car depreciate last year?
I bought a modest but nice stone from a jeweler that's a family friend. Wife didn't demand a diamond; suggested a plain band. I gave it because I wanted to - it's a nice thing to think of someone besides yourself and give them presents.

Vehicles, guns and accessories serve a purpose beyond sitting on a finger and making friends go "Oooooh, he DOES love you." I used my vehicle AND my gun today.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I have read so much that says the diamond market is nothing but a huge scam, and diamonds are a terrible investment.

If you are planning on making money on it, eject now.

You do not know what you are doing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I highly recommend http://www.diamondnexuslabs.com/

They make and sell man made diamonds.  I bought a beautiful 3/4 carrot diamond and white gold ring from them for $450

My fiancee loves it  and the 300+ people she has shown it to tell her how beautiful it is.

Don't waste your money buying a "real" diamond.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I can make money on over half my guns. At least break even on the other half. We both drive used cars. All of which have uses. A ring is about as useful as a picture on the wall.

Like I said, if that's what she would have wanted, I wouldn't have wanted her. I picked the person who already was the way I wanted her to be. If they're selfish and would want you to spend till it's uncomfortable just so they can show off to their friends....They will continue to be selfish and demanding in other aspects of the marraige.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#21]
My vote...Emerald. Amethyst is nice to. Get something actually valuable as a gem as opposed to something thats has been assigned value as a status symbol. Not only that but I think a nice emerald looks just stunning, as opposed to the same clear piece of carbon I see on every ladies finger.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I have also read that there are good quality cz's that no one would ever be able to tell apart from a real diamond

Except by the jeweler she brings it to when she wants to find out how much it really cost. I recently heard my friend's gf having this conversation with her friends. They were all talking about which place they should bring their ring to so they can find out how much the guy really spent.
It's also went south due to no fault of the husband. There have been jewlers who have switched rocks in rings they have performed "mantenence or cleaning" on. Then years later the wife has it at some other place to find out it's a CZ. Awkward for the hubby. The one case I'm remembering, the husband actually had the documents of purchase to show it was originally real. I believe somebody went to the clink for that one.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#23]
If you do get a diamond, don't get a fugly one either.  Women do compare rings.  You don't want to be the guy that bought a cloudy, dirty, yellow diamond.

If you're going to be near NYC any time soon, visit the diamond district.  I lived in NYC at the time and the stone I got was about $2,000 cheaper there compared to independent jewelry shops I went to.  I also "knew a guy that knew a guy".  

And for all that is good and holy, don't buy it from Zales, Kay, Jared's, or some other shopping mall chain.  Definitely not the anti-gun scumbags at Jared's.

ETA - And all of the diamond naysayers are right.  A diamond is an incredibly illogical purchase.  Before someone makes the witty remark that illogical diamonds are appropriate for the illogical gender of the species, take careful stock of what's in your garage and/or gun safe and whatever else you spend your money on.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:42:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's also went south due to no fault of the husband. There have been jewlers who have switched rocks in rings they have performed "mantenence or cleaning" on. Then years later the wife has it at some other place to find out it's a CZ. Awkward for the hubby. The one case I'm remembering, the husband actually had the documents of purchase to show it was originally real. I believe somebody went to the clink for that one.

I'm talking about girls who just got engaged. No sooner did they get the ring and they were out having it checked out by a jeweler.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't think people are against the idea of diamonds so much as  they are amused at the notion that it's somehow necessary to spend a large amount of money on a chunk of carbon, which is an extremely common and pedestrian element, and that the outcome of your marriage somehow depends on the origin of said carbon.

If advertisers (and make no mistake, this is the origin of the diamond engagement ring...)  told you that a lump of bituminous coal was a necessary part of courtship and that you needed to spend a two months salary on a lump of coal or you don't really love your future wife you would laugh out loud.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#26]
For fucks sake DO NOT tell her if you buy her a fake rock! Actually just DO NOT buy her a fake one.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife would have been happy with a brass ring if that is all I could afford. That's not the point.  
We could all walk around dirty and unshaven dressed in sack cloth too, to save money, but we don't.

Not most of us anyway.

You could also bathe in $8/pint imported spring water, but I'm guessing you probably use the local for that.  

<shrugs>
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Get simple gold or platinum band or real diamonds.  Do NOT get CZ.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Get what she wants. It's the last vagina you'll be getting into unless you and your girl are into some freaky stuff.

You should be able to find appealing stones in pawn shops or antique stores.

Example: My girl got herself a 5 carat t.w. diamond tennis bracelet in an antique store for $1,800 a few years ago.

If you're gonna buy new, I'd recommend Kay's. They've got lifetime replacement on their jewelry... if she chips a stone,  it's replaced, no questions asked; if a stone is lost, it's replaced, no questions asked. All you have to do is have it inspected every 6 months.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the fuck do gemstones have to do with marriage?
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't.

I would not buy anything but a true diamond of the best quality I could afford for a union that is supposed to last last a lifetime. That's what I did. In 1995 that happened to be about $2800 for me.

It's not about face value, or durability, or political correctness. It's about putting a piece of you heart and soul on her finger. The whole thing may go south in a few years, but at least you will have started right.

Just my opinion.

I could do that with something I machined by hand.  Why should I drop ridiculous amounts of cash on something utterly useless?
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Diamonds are pedestrian and boring anyway.  There are all sorts of much more interesting stones.  We wound up with a custom-cut synthetic alexandrite in a palladium setting. It changes from red to purplish to green depending on the ambient lighting, and it is absolutely unique.  The whole thing cost about $600.  

welcome to 1975...........you bought her mood ring.

I told my now wife then girlfriend, before getting her ring that no woman was worth a $5K ring. kidding of coarse. I bought the stone loose in the cut she wanted and she picked her setting. The total came to $5027. Till this day she still busts my balls about it.
And to tell the truth, she is worth every dime, even if she never wears the fuckin thing!
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#34]

If you get here a zirconia, she will hold it against you forever.    If you want a divorce, get a zirconia.  If  you want stress and heartache, get a zirconia.

But if you get her a diamond, she will not hold it against you.  At least not for long.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#35]

If you have the money spend it if you want, but don't do it because you think that expensive ring equals a better marriage like some guys on here are saying

If she says she's fine with cheaper, then go with cheaper.  If she's lying to you, then you shouldn't be getting married, you need to be able to trust each other.

It doesn't matter what it costs unless your future wife is a money grubbing whore.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm talking about girls who just got engaged. No sooner did they get the ring and they were out having it checked out by a jeweler.

Can you imagine marrying some broad who would have the fucking audacity to go have the ring you bought her appraised? I'd be livid and hurt (well, not actually. I'm a picky bastard who wouldn't have picked a bitch like that in the first place).

I reckon I'd just ask for it back and tell her to have better luck digging that gold somewhere else. Pisses me off just thinking about it.

That'd be like having them put their mouth on a vacuum guage before proposing.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
If you get here a zirconia, she will hold it against you forever.    If you want a divorce, get a zirconia.  If  you want stress and heartache, get a zirconia.

But if you get her a diamond, she will not hold it against you.  At least not for long.

Why the blue fuck would anybody want to marry a person that holds something against you that she said she was ok with?
What the fuck is wrong with some of you people, do you like being miserable?

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#39]
I have been married for 14 years and every ring i have ever bought my wife has been cz.  She told me point blank, do not waste the money on a diamond.  It is nothing but something for show that she will probably lose or tear up.  I love my wife.

But earings and pendants are always real.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you imagine marrying some broad who would have the fucking audacity to go have the ring you bought her appraised? I'd be livid and hurt (well, not actually. I'm a picky bastard who wouldn't have picked a bitch like that in the first place).

I reckon I'd just ask for it back and tell her to have better luck digging that gold somewhere else. Pisses me off just thinking about it.

Meh.

They need an apraisal to have it insured, that will give them an idea of what its value is from there. So who cares? Unless of course you lied to her about what it was or its value?
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#41]
double tap
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Diamonds are pedestrian and boring anyway.  There are all sorts of much more interesting stones.  We wound up with a custom-cut synthetic alexandrite in a palladium setting. It changes from red to purplish to green depending on the ambient lighting, and it is absolutely unique.  The whole thing cost about $600.  

welcome to 1975...........you bought her mood ring.

Chemistry/mineralogy/history fail.

A mood ring is a glass ampule containing organic liquid crystals, which change state and thus color  based on temperature.  An alexandrite is an inorganic crystal with specific impurities which change the apparent color of the gem based upon the spectrum of the ambient light.  Natural alexendrites are highly prized, going for tens of thousands of dollars per carat.  The stone I commissioned, had it been natural alexandrite, would be worth literally hundreds of thousands of dollars.  The primary difference between the natural and synthetic, besides cost obviously, is that the synthetic is of a much higher quality than ANY available natural stones of that size.

Enjoy your boring industrial abrasive.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh.

They need an apraisal to have it insured, that will give them an idea of what its value is from there. So who cares? Unless of course you lied to her about what it was or its value?

I think you know what was meant by both my and Extorris' statements. It wasn't about insurance.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought my wife a nice ring as a symbol of my love and affection for her.  She'll wear it every day, for the rest of her life, and someday it will be passed down in our family to our children.  I saw no problem paying a decent chunk of change for something that will have that kind of longevity and will become a family heirloom.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I highly recommend http://www.diamondnexuslabs.com/

They make and sell man made diamonds.  I bought a beautiful 3/4 carrot diamond and white gold ring from them for $450

My fiancee loves it  and the 300+ people she has shown it to tell her how beautiful it is.

Don't waste your money buying a "real" diamond.

Is it not a body-centered cubic arrangement of carbon atoms? If it is, then it's a diamond - it just wasn't dug up out of the ground...

It's not BCC.  It's diamond structure, which is a face-centered cubic  lattice.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh.

I think you know what was meant by both my and Extorris' statements. It wasn't about insurance.

Of course for them it wasn't about insurance. I'm simply stating they are going to know the ballpark figure anyways (unless you aren't insuring the ring, which that is going to tell them it isn't worth shit to begin with).

After giving her the ring I then handed my lady the appraisal and the gem lab report and said, "Go get it insured before you wear it out and about, no I didn't pay anywhere near what that number says."
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Are either of you Irish?

If so these are cool and not very pricey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claddagh_ring

IMO, that would be for a wedding ring, not engagement. Unless she is insistent on the CZ, I would go with a diamond that you can afford. If you do the CZ route, don't go too big or it will be obvious that it is fake.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#48]
5k to 10k for a diamond or 1k for a CZ?

Shiny glittery rock or an extremely good start of a child's college fund?  Or 3 or 4 acres of land?   Or emergency "what if we get sick" money.  

Not that I'm overly qualified to answer, but you did ask... I would go with CZ and save the money for something that matters.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I will never understand the ring thing here.

1K for a fake diamond?

I doubt I paid much more than that for my wife's real one.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I will never understand the ring thing here.

1K for a fake diamond?

I doubt I paid much more than that for my wife's real one.

It's difficult to lure a trophy wife into your basement lair without good bait.    

Besides, with the commodity prices the way they are carbon is expensive!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top