Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this nations wealth static or fluid? is it a zero sum game, or can new wealth be created?

If new wealth can be created, then nothing has been squandered.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"It's a sight", isn't it?

I grew up in poor conditions, and I did something about it.

The first action struggling people can take is to cut the apron strings.  Move to opportunity.

Then do whatever sacrifice is required to put yourself on a solid footing of reliable income that requires a degree of training and skill.  Become the best.  If you are good enough, the work will come to you by word of mouth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want everybody to take a step back and consider the bitterness, anger and envy displayed in this thread.    It’s only going to get worse, as inflation eats away at our hopes and dreams.

Inflation caused by overspending of Every generation.  Millennials might have a case, if they were voting en mass for fiscal austerity.  
But they aren’t.  If anything, they’re even lazier and more Libtarded than previous generations, when considered as a whole.

No, the problem isn’t generational.  It’s between Conservatives and Liberals.   And fiscal conservatives have been outvoted since FDR.

I’ve seen a lot of class envy displayed lately.   It’s going to get much worse, even within our ranks.    Plan accordingly.

The first action struggling people can take is to cut the apron strings.  Move to opportunity.

Then do whatever sacrifice is required to put yourself on a solid footing of reliable income that requires a degree of training and skill.  Become the best.  If you are good enough, the work will come to you by word of mouth.
We could be brothers.
You get it, I get it, and a lot of other successful people here get it.

But there are lots of losers here, just looking for excuses.  
Funny thing is, the anger and envy displayed here, is just a drop in the bucket compared to the hordes of Morlocks on the street.
Here on Arfcom, we are generally educated and conservative.  The average American isn’t.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I want everybody to take a step back and consider the bitterness, anger and envy displayed in this thread.    It's only going to get worse, as inflation eats away at our hopes and dreams.

Inflation caused by overspending of Every generation.  Millennials might have a case, if they were voting en mass for fiscal austerity.  
But they aren't.  If anything, they're even lazier and more Libtarded than previous generations, when considered as a whole.

No, the problem isn't generational.  It's between Conservatives and Liberals.   And fiscal conservatives have been outvoted since FDR.

I've seen a lot of class envy displayed lately.   It's going to get much worse, even within our ranks.    Plan accordingly.
View Quote
Yeah you are pretty much on point. But it's still funny to note that hilariously, the Boomers love to bitch about Millenials who oh by the way were raised by Boomers.  Participation trophies? Yeah a bunch of 5 year olds didn't invent the concept, that'd be Boomer parents. And so on and so on.

You're right that Millenials vote left, indoctrinated by their own Boomer parents. My glimmer of hope is that Gen Z continues to trend more individalistic and right-leaning. I'm the extreme tail of Gen X myself and our kids are turning out a little better, somehow. I think.  Maybe the pendulum is swinging back.

Anyway, if nothing else this thread lets me laugh in Gen X master race
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm neither Boomer or Millennial, and I think the notion is ridiculous.
If you can't get what you want out of this country it's your fault, no one else's.

Only in GD can someone expect personal responsibility from others but blame all their failings/hardships on someone else.
Well, maybe DU, as well.
View Quote

Exactly so.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't buy it.  Any of it.

It's an easy way out - to blame others.  It's this generation's fault, no no, it's THIS generations fault.  Blah blah.

The secret of success is in your head.  It's all on you.

If you're not making your life a success you need to ask yourself what you could be doing to make it happen.

It isn't an accident, it's rarely due to luck, and you can be sure that the only possible way that you're going to achieve it is by gritting it out and hanging on until you do succeed.

Don't sit there and waste your time blaming others.  Get out there any get bloody.  The blame game is for losers.

Just my asshole opinion.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#6]
My parents predate the boomer generation.  Dad was born in 37 Mom was born in 39.  They were the most frugal people, and I imagine growing up as a small child in post Depression America and then during WWII rations gives you a perspective on things.

Dad passed last year and he did not spend down one penny of his retirement, neither will my Mom.  They live off of revenue from rents and dividends.  Mom's house hasn't been remodeled in 35 years, she buys clothes at a thrift store yet she has millions in assets.

My Brother was born in 1960, he has no retirements savings at all, is delinquent with he IRS and has creditors after him.  My Sister works for a university in fine arts and is complaining that she can't buy a house.

So the problem is not generational, or dependent on how you were raised... I think it is a matter of perspective.

Some people see the reality of life, some do not.

I am 20 years younger than my brother and live very differently.  I am 37 and I think to myself... I have 30 years left to work and then I am pretty much dead soon after that.  So I don't want to work until I am 67.  I wan to be done with a "job" in my early 50's.  Then go do something else, trade junk on E-bay, or restore motorcycles, or help build water treatment plants in the 3rd world... what ever I want to do.

So my family lives in a cheap house and the wife and I drive used cars so we can save and invest.

But if you listen to my sister,I live better than her because I am a privileged white male and I helped rig the system against everyone else.  Has nothing to do with being an engineer in the energy industry... nope nothing at all...
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want everybody to take a step back and consider the bitterness, anger and envy displayed in this thread.    It's only going to get worse, as inflation eats away at our hopes and dreams.

But they aren't.  If anything, they're even lazier and more Libtarded than previous generations, when considered as a whole.

No, the problem isn't generational.  It's between Conservatives and Liberals.   And fiscal conservatives have been outvoted since FDR.

I've seen a lot of class envy displayed lately.   It's going to get much worse, even within our ranks.    Plan accordingly.

Yup. I well remember living on rice and beans when I was first married. McDonalds was a treat lol. Wife and I still joke about that.

We pulled up stakes and left our families, have lived all over the country now and life is good. In fact it's better than I ever thought I'd have it.  I've had some good luck, but we did have to take that leap too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

"Social Security has problems, but running out of cash isn't one of them

The big question a lot of folks (especially millennials) are probably asking about Social Security, given its many problems, is this: When, exactly, will the program run out of cash?

Believe it or not, the honest answer, assuming no changes to the way Social Security is funded, is never."
https://www.fool.com/retirement/2018/11/09/heres-when-social-security-will-run-out-of-cash.aspx
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't  know... we'll just have to see if the majority of Boomers stop working and paying into the system first.
It's coming. SS will pay out more than it takes in within a year or two, the first time it's had this happen in nearly 40 years. This is also not likely to be corrected and by current estimates the trust fund's reserves will be entirely depeleted by 2035.

The big question a lot of folks (especially millennials) are probably asking about Social Security, given its many problems, is this: When, exactly, will the program run out of cash?

Believe it or not, the honest answer, assuming no changes to the way Social Security is funded, is never."
https://www.fool.com/retirement/2018/11/09/heres-when-social-security-will-run-out-of-cash.aspx
You and the fool would be wrong.

https://blog.ssa.gov/social-security-2019-trustees-report/

The combined funds reserves are projected to become depleted in 2035, one year later than projected last year, with 80 percent of scheduled benefits payable at that time
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#10]
It’s life guys, it is what we make of it.  Even the bums know some moves.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Eh, the Millenials aren't going to get it, old man.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No, The Greatest Generation did.

Roosevelt, Truman, Kennedy, Johnson, all elected by The Greatest Generation.
View Quote
I agree with this but the boomers did play their part
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't  know... we'll just have to see if the majority of Boomers stop working and paying into the system first.
It's coming. SS will pay out more than it takes in within a year or two, the first time it's had this happen in nearly 40 years. This is also not likely to be corrected and by current estimates the trust fund's reserves will be entirely depeleted by 2035.

The combined funds reserves are projected to become depleted in 2035, one year later than projected last year, with 80 percent of scheduled benefits payable at that time
LOL from the exact page you linked -
"2052, extended 20 years from last year's estimate of 2032, with 91 percent of benefits still payable."

So just by going by your article in 2052 they will be able to pay out 91% and that is if no changes are even made. BTW in 2090 it will still be able to pay out 79% of each dollar and that is if no changes are made. You going to be alive in 2090?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#15]
ROFL Now this BS is sure to start a lot of stupid talk. Let the troll suckers have at it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Easy there fella, don’t be confusing the issue with your facts and all.

What are you trying to do...  make me lose my outrage boner?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LBJ, and the rest of Congress that voted in the Great Society, Not Boomers, FDR, and Congress that voted in Social Security, Not Boomers. President Nixon and the Congress that took us off the Gold Standard and let the dollar free float......not Boomers.
Easy there fella, don’t be confusing the issue with your facts and all.

What are you trying to do...  make me lose my outrage boner?
so who was it that shut down Bush's attempt at SS reform in the mid 2000s?
who was Medicare part D supposed to target?
boomers are the most influential voting bloc and have been for decades, I mean we can hardly lower the mortgage interest deduction without boomers flipping the fuck out
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is this nations wealth static or fluid? is it a zero sum game, or can new wealth be created?

View Quote
That is some shitty logic.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"2052, extended 20 years from last year's estimate of 2032, with 91 percent of benefits still payable."

So just by going by your article in 2052 they will be able to pay out 91% and that is if no changes are even made. BTW in 2090 it will still be able to pay out 79% of each dollar and that is if no changes are made. You going to be alive in 2090?
View Quote
And yet if you had put that money in traditional diversified investments over the long haul you could pay yourself 1000% more than you saved.  8% return over 30 years.  Why do we let .gov have our money again?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No, The Greatest Generation did.

Roosevelt, Truman, Kennedy, Johnson, all elected by The Greatest Generation.
View Quote
Yup.

Though when handed the balance, the Boomers fucking RAN with it!
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Boomers really?

A single B-52 training flight, SR71 mission, an hour of Carrier Op's and a single day of the 15 years  of war on Terrorism have spent more than I've ever probably made in my lifetime....let alone submitted in taxes.

Hell, just to pay the salary of one United States senator for a year.....

Or even a corrupt FBI official.

This Fucking .gov and it's out of control spending on shit has squandered this nations wealth.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That is the part that pisses me off about my generation......we advanced all that commie bullshit as if we were on fucking steroids.

I don't see Generation X as being much if any better...………..I assume they are the ones mainly teaching our kids nowadays?
View Quote
What "commie bullshit" did I advance?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do those Estimates account for inflation / Cost Of Living adjustments?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Trust fund".

You funny guy.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#25]
The generation that voted for FDR and his "new deal"  THAT is the generation that fucked us.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#26]
No it was setup to fail in the early 20th when SS and income taxes were passed
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#27]
And I'm still at it - you whipper snappers!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yup.

View Quote
Lol. I’m not a Boomer but I remember 17-22% interest that millennials don’t have to pay...and current politicians are suppressing interest rates for who’s benefit?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#29]
I used to say things like "frakking millenials" but not so much anymore.  As they have aged and entered the workforce they are figuring out how hard you really have to work, very few of us have had things handed to us.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
If my family debt rises to a point where the payments exceed our income, can I call up my creditors and say "I will be lowering my payment by 21%."?    We still have income, why would they not agree to that?  
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Boomers really?

A single B-52 training flight, SR71 mission, an hour of Carrier Op's and a single day of the 15 years  of war on Terrorism have spent more than I've ever probably made in my lifetime....let alone submitted in taxes.

This Fucking .gov and it's out of control spending on shit has squandered this nations wealth.
View Quote
The government is "us".
Ask yourself, "When did we stop paying attention, and let this happen?"
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#32]
It appears that Soros has really gotten his money's worth.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
LBJ, and the rest of Congress that voted in the Great Society, Not Boomers, FDR, and Congress that voted in Social Security, Not Boomers. President Nixon and the Congress that took us off the Gold Standard and let the dollar free float......not Boomers.
View Quote
[/thread]

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Boomers really?

View Quote
How true.  Deficit spending skyrocketed with LBJ (Greatest Generation) and his guns 'n butter program.   It caused the departure of gold from our reserves to accelerate.   Deficit spending hasn't stopped.  Every president seems to double the deficit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Boomers have raped and pillaged this country
View Quote
Having been born in 1962, considered in some circles to be the last year of the baby boom (1960 is sometimes a cutoff too), I got the privilege of watching the older Baby Boomers buy up all the houses and turn into Yuppies. Those of us born after 1960 are the first to have to wait to age 67 for full SS though we have to start paying Medicare insurance premiums out of pocket at 65
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the part that pisses me off about my generation......we advanced all that commie bullshit as if we were on fucking steroids.

I don't see Generation X as being much if any better...………..I assume they are the ones mainly teaching our kids nowadays?
Now you know I ain't talking about all Boomers...…..there were a lot of them that were/are asshole commies though.

You have a much better opinion of our generation than I do...….I am not proud of my generation in the main.

They bitched too much and were FAR TOO interested in left wing dumbass agendas IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#37]
The #1 lesser of two evils/death by 1000 cuts voting block. I’d say so.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#38]
If obama was a Baby Boomer, then that would be a positive. Obama doubled the national debt and caused the highest national debt than  all of other other presidents in the history of the US combined!!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#39]
RINO_Hunter: Lots of blame to go around but two groups deserve the most.
Whoever let women vote.  
Whoever let Nixon decouple the dollar from gold.
View All Quotes
RINO_Hunter: Lots of blame to go around but two groups deserve the most.
Whoever let women vote.  
Whoever let Nixon decouple the dollar from gold.
I don't think Nixon could have kept the dollar on the gold standard without outlawing fractional reserve banking and immediately cancelling all federal entitlements, including many veterans benefits.  A case he probably should have taken to American people in his own "fireside chat".  Can you imagine him doing a thirty minute televised presentation telling people where the country was headed?

frozenny: short answer:  the Boomers, lived in an age of plenty.  They grew up, often with new schools.  They went to college in a time when tuition was cheap and you actually could pay your way with a part time and/or summer job.  The started work in an era when the corporate pension existed: Work 20, 25 years, retire at 55 with 60% pension.  Had inexpensive health insurance.  They voted themselves great government handouts and ran up a zillion in national debt.  They started the "But I Want it Now" lifestyle.  They spend 110% of what they earned, have nothing set aside for retirement, and are relying on someone else to care for them.  They had it all:  Cheap college, cheap housing, great benefits.  They stand to benefit from the greatest transfer of wealth in history, as their parent die and leave them the nest egg.

Staggunner: Not a single thing in your second paragraph is correct about me.
My parents were at the tail end of the Boomers.  They don't resemble that paragraph.  They didn't have very much for most of their lives.  Some parts of their lives have been easier than mine, and some parts of their lives have been more difficult than mine.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#40]
There are far more 30 year old Millennials on public assistance today than there were 30 year old Baby Boomers on public assistance in 1976, and those enrolled in public assistance programs take much more per person than they did in 1976.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#41]
In this thread I can spot those who play the game well and those that don't. Age doesn't seem to be a factor.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Lol. I'm not a Boomer but I remember 17-22% interest that millennials don't have to pay...and current politicians are suppressing interest rates for who's benefit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Lol. I'm not a Boomer but I remember 17-22% interest that millennials don't have to pay...and current politicians are suppressing interest rates for who's benefit?
For thier own benefit, no other way around it. Most folks don't save so they don't give a shit about prime. Those that actually pay taxes will notice when their tax bill doubles just so Uncle Sam can cover the interest.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Now you know I ain't talking about all Boomers...…..there were a lot of them that were/are asshole commies though.

You have a much better opinion of our generation than I do...….I am not proud of my generation in the main.

They bitched too much and were FAR TOO interested in left wing dumbass agendas IMHO.
View Quote
The children you're agreeing with are talking about every single warm body born from 1946 to 1964. Aspie binary choices are part of their DNA.

And I keep asking for specifics, because every single complaint is either some vague crap or based on time travel or a tragically ignorant understanding of basic history (and occasionally basic math)

The problem is that 'tards actually believe memes, think life was peaches and cream, and they give up. Or they start talking about "living wages", or loan "forgiveness", or government price controls, which is real live actual "commie shit".
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#44]
We're still working on it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The children you're agreeing with are talking about every single warm body born from 1946 to 1964. Aspie binary choices are part of their DNA.

And I keep asking for specifics, because every single complaint is either some vague crap or based on time travel or a tragically ignorant understanding of basic history (and occasionally basic math)

The problem is that 'tards actually believe memes, think life was peaches and cream, and they give up. Or they start talking about "living wages", or loan "forgiveness", or government price controls, which is real live actual "commie shit".
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don't bother.

One segment of the political spectrum hates white privilege, one hates boomers

Either way, it's a designated "kulak" to rally ideological constituencies around
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#47]
The reason your life sucks, by and large, is probably you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I know a boomer that blames his generation for many of the issues we face today.
View Quote
RDak?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Not much you can really do about it.

- A millenial
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#50]
The single biggest employment sector in 1900 in the US was agriculture.  Today, it takes less than 2% of the labor force to enable everyone to be fat.  We moved to manufacturing, which reached it's peak during WWII, and for a period of a few decades Americans enjoyed stable employment.  Most people didn't really change jobs all that much, and what was considered "middle-class" was substantially poorer than what we consider middle-class today.  The average house was less than half the size of homes today, most families had 1 car, if they had a car.  A nice middle-class home had 1 main bathroom, and perhaps another small bathroom off the master.  You can still see these old middle-class homes, just ride through the poorer neighborhoods of larger towns.  But in even mid century there were still homes without indoor bathrooms in certain parts of the country.

People worked for one employer, and there were defined benefit plans (pensions).  So a person could work for 20 or 30 years and retire with a modest income guaranteed for life.   Which really wasn't that much longer after a typical retirement.

The Boomers came in on the tail end of all that.  Starting in the 80's employers moved away from the more expensive defined benefit plans, and replaced them with portable 401k's, which were defined contribution plans.  Salaries rose, and job stability diminished.  After WWII manufacturing jobs declined.  Technology and automation reduced the demand, and value of human labor.  That trends been going on for decades.  In the 80's and 90's we saw office automation reduce the need for many white collar jobs as well, and that trend continues.

Today most people are employed in the service sector.  None of this was the Boomers fault.

Social Security and medicare were flawed programs from the start.  No one is going to fix them until they have to.  Our political system is broken.  Lobbyist and Bureaucrats draft the laws, elected representative spend most of their time trying to raise campaign funding for reelection.  Our Republic is broken.  ...and no one is working to fix it.   Not the Boomers, not GenX, not the millennials, or GenZ who are starting to come of age.

No one is doing shit.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top