BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know how to fix this franchise.

No more sequels or prequels.  Remake the originals!!!!
View Quote
Noooooooo!!!!!!!!! They will suck so badly!!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The Movies failed because they suck and shit on 40+ years of expanded universe content.
View Quote
Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 11:35:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Big, big spoilers condensed from various sites, mostly makingstarwars and theforce.net...

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Big, big spoilers condensed from various sites, mostly makingstarwars and theforce.net...

Click To View Spoiler
It might be worse:
Click To View Spoiler.

Quoted:

I watched this one while I was driving to the post office today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0jeECpo3Po
Same God damned retarded rights split is contributing to the destruction of Star Trek.  That plus overwhelming SJW politics at CBS, and terrible writers who hate everything that Star Trek stands for at both CBS and Paramount/Bad Robot.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They should give Porkins his own movie. Couldn't be any worse than the recent ones.

Fuckin' SJW's have managed to kill Star Wars, Star Trek, and Doctor Who all within the same year.
View Quote
I would watch that!! But just to practice my MST3K routine
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 2:27:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Writing non heroic scripts that shits on boys and men and appeals to feminists and fags isn't a winning strategy
View Quote
And even those groups deep down like a true alpha man hero

It's hardwired into the human condition ,since Beowulf and before
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 5:23:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Let it die
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 5:32:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wrong.  They've been steadily increasing in price for years. They really took off after TFA.  People like me who were kids of the 70's and 80's now have disposable income and we dont like the new movies.  Those toys will never be worthless.  I'll buy them all!??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 70’s Kenner toys will go the way of Beenie Babies in a few years - worthless.
Wrong.  They've been steadily increasing in price for years. They really took off after TFA.  People like me who were kids of the 70's and 80's now have disposable income and we dont like the new movies.  Those toys will never be worthless.  I'll buy them all!??
Pathetic Man-Child Destroys 2,387 Vintage Star Wars Figures
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I guess not a lot of people checked out the Star Wars Creators film at Disney? 10 minute presentation thanking the fans for years of loyalty, HALF of which is dedicated to saying how great females are, how the female fans carried the films, and the female support makes Star Wars happen.

Because it was my sister, not myself and my brother buying hundreds of dollars in SW merch yearly, that kept SW alive.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe they think if they keep pretending that girls give a shit about Star Wars, it will magically come true?

You know, the way they want girls to get into STEM, or pro sports.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Number of random females I see every day wearing a SW shirt: maybe one.

Number of guys I see every day wearing SW shirts: over a dozen minimally.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Kids and I absolutely love Eps 3-6 and R1, and we think Solo was decent.

TFA and TLJ suck and we refuse to see Episode 9.

We do not speak of Episode 1.
View Quote
Just make sure you're kids see the five good minutes of footage from Episode I.

STAR WARS DARTH MAUL LIGHTSABER DUEL EXTENDED
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Movies failed because they suck and shit on 40+ years of expanded universe content.
View Quote
This right here.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Disney Star Wars' Failure is Complete? George Lucas Rumor Update
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#15]
His theory is plausible.

If it’s true, while Disney is trying to reduce Lucas’ residuals, they're simultaneously killing the franchise and reducing their total revenue.

Kind of ironic.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#16]
When I had to download the despecialized original trilogy to replace my original trilogy VHS tapes I knew the honeymoon was over. Haven't paid much attention since. When I want a Star Wars fix I plug a USB SSD into the side of my Roku and watch the despecialized editions.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Resistance cancelled after Hasbro halts toy line due to disinterest
Star Wars Resistance gets new trailer and canceled on the same day
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 6:45:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uvad9uSc9k
View Quote
As bad as parts of the prequels were, this is probably the best 5 minutes of any of the films made, IMO. Well, maybe Leia in the metal bikini...
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 7:14:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Star Wars was cool at first because there was nothing like it.
Now there are lots of things like it and it doesn't do anything to stand out from the rest of them.
View Quote
This, and the fact that they Star Wars'ed the fuck out of everything in marketing blitzes.  I mean, fuck, even Nissan got in on it.

Kids, and everyone else, are numb to it now, it isn't special, just another mass marketed commercial cash-in on their parents nostalgia.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 7:21:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There's a good documentary on HULU called "The People vs. George Lucas" that dates from 2010 and goes into the problems with the franchise as far as the fans and Lucas is/was concerned.
View Quote
What's funny is how most of fandom would probably want Lucas back now that we've seen what Disney did to the franchise.

Link Posted: 8/16/2019 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Star Wars started to suck as soon as Darth Vader turned out to be Luke's father.
View Quote
There is some truth to this statement.

What were the chances that some hick farmer kid on a remote desert planet was the son of the baddest bad guy in the galaxy? Sure, there was shock value to it...but once the shock wore off five minutes later, most of us responded with:

Wut?
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Aside from the general SJW bs that ruined Star Wars, they really went overboard with all the kiddie stuff....... bring back the dark story lines. One of the greatest travesties is that Kylo Ren’s character was not allowed to become malevolent and a badass......
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What's funny is how most of fandom would probably want Lucas back now that we've seen what Disney did to the franchise.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's a good documentary on HULU called "The People vs. George Lucas" that dates from 2010 and goes into the problems with the franchise as far as the fans and Lucas is/was concerned.

Lucas could build worlds and concepts, but sucks at telling stories.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Another good rant about the current state of SW.

Oh No! Disney Star Wars is in Trouble
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uvad9uSc9k
View Quote
The odd thing about that fight is that Maul is constantly on the defensive, retreating the entire time.  Even his killing combination against Qui-Gon began with a block, then Obi Wan came close to simply pounding him to death.  It's a surprisingly passive way to script the villain in the finale battle.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#29]
There is no hope for Star Wars with dumb & dumber from GOT doing the writing, along with Kennedys and Abrams involvement. It's a shame, Disney has double-downed and ruined probably the best franchise in movie history. However, the movie will get great reviews because no critic want's to piss-off the mouse and those that make any criticism will be called racist. The only thing that will alter Disney's decision making is for there to be extreme financial pain, by then it will be too late.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There is no hope for Star Wars with dumb & dumber from GOT doing the writing, along with Kennedys and Abrams involvement. It's a shame, Disney has double-downed and ruined probably the best franchise in movie history. However, the movie will get great reviews because no critic want's to piss-off the mouse and those that make any criticism will be called racist. The only thing that will alter Disney's decision making is for there to be extreme financial pain, by then it will be too late.
View Quote
When they bomb at the box office it wont matter what critics have to say.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

When they bomb at the box office it wont matter what critics have to say.
View Quote
And make no mistake, it WILL bomb at the box office.  I doubt even Shakespeare could save it at this point.  In a three act play you have to set up all the drama and conflict in Acts I and II so that the audience is invested in the outcome of Act III.  So what are we looking forward too?

Rey.  Kinda curious to see who her parents are really, if Kylo was wrong.  Otherwise, we can safely assume that Mary Sue will overcome whatever obstacles she is faced with easily, as she did in the first two.
Kylo.  His relationship with Rey is based on what?  He turned dark because why?  His potential redemption will be how?  
Resistance v. First Order.  We literally have no idea what the political background conflict is.  We have no idea how the First Order got so powerful.  We have no idea where the New Republic is other than one shot of a planet being nuked.  Who am I supposed to be rooting for again?
Finn, Rose, Poe & the rest.  Literally who cares.  Does anyone care how Finn and Rose's relationship turns out?
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The odd thing about that fight is that Maul is constantly on the defensive, retreating the entire time.  Even his killing combination against Qui-Gon began with a block, then Obi Wan came close to simply pounding him to death.  It's a surprisingly passive way to script the villain in the finale battle.
View Quote
I never really thought of it before, but you're right.  I think the issue was they went for realism v. drama.  Maul was the martial arts guy who designed everything.  From a practical fight standpoint, 2 on 1 the 1 is always going to have to be defensive.  But it doesn't have the same kind of dramatic effect as Vader's aggression against Luke in Episode V.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What were the chances that some hick farmer kid on a remote desert planet was the son of the baddest bad guy in the galaxy? Sure, there was shock value to it...but once the shock wore off five minutes later, most of us responded with:

Wut?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Star Wars started to suck as soon as Darth Vader turned out to be Luke's father.

Wut?
*** Nerd on ***

Really? In contrast to the completely random crap we get in the new trilogy, this is easily answered by the actual plot of the movies.

Leia was on her way to see Obi Wan Kenobi who she knew to be on Tatooine, Obi Wan was there to keep an eye on Luke and his family since Luke was the son of Darth Vader and so Luke being nearby to the action when something started up is a pretty likely. It was a sparsely populated desert planet so it's not like there were billions of people there or anything either.

Now Leia being Luke's sister? That's where it gets a lot less plausible but they even explained that pretty well in Episode 3.

*** end Nerd ***
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I guess kids aren't into SJWer pandering Star Wars. The movies are failing and no ones visiting Star Wars land.
View Quote
Or maybe the entire Star Wars thing is just getting really old and tired...
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Neither of my girls, age 20 and 11, have ever had any interest at all in Star Wars or any SciFi type shows for that matter.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#39]
I think it's bad because Disney is only really looking to make money off of the Star Wars name, and they couldn't care less about the actual storyline, the plot, the characters, or anything else about the IP. They paid big bucks, they want to make big bucks.

And it kind of worked, right?
Force Awakens had $2billion of box office.
The Last Jedi had $1.3 billion... a steep drop-off
What if the next movie bombs? They'll be in trouble.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Cause it sucks and they don't have nostalgia for something that happened before they were born.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think it's bad because Disney is only really looking to make money off of the Star Wars name, and they couldn't care less about the actual storyline, the plot, the characters, or anything else about the IP. They paid big bucks, they want to make big bucks.

View Quote
No way it clears 500 mil.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope.

If you add up all of the BO takes for the four Disney films:

• TFA $2.0B $245M
  • R1 $1.0B $200M
  • TLJ $1.3B $375M
  • Solo $400M $275M
  • You get $4.7B - which is more than the $4.02B Disney paid for the franchise. Sounds good, right? Until you subtract the production budgets:

So, subtract $1.1B - and that doesn't account for advertising. Then again, it also doesn't account for product licensing...

At best, Disney is probably not far from breaking even. Breaking even on SW is a pretty epic failure, really.

m

ETA: Arfcom sucks at tables...
    Link Posted: 8/16/2019 5:02:15 PM EDT
    [#43]
    Quoted:
    Nope.

• TFA $2.0B $245M
  • R1 $1.0B $200M
  • TLJ $1.3B $375M
  • Solo $400M $275M
  • You get $4.7B - which is more than the $4.02B Disney paid for the franchise. Sounds good, right? Until you subtract the production budgets:

So, subtract $1.1B - and that doesn't account for advertising. Then again, it also doesn't account for product licensing...

At best, Disney is probably not far from breaking even. Breaking even on SW is a pretty epic failure, really.

m

View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Nope.

• TFA $2.0B $245M
  • R1 $1.0B $200M
  • TLJ $1.3B $375M
  • Solo $400M $275M

m

Not to mention the cost of the new SW sections at both Disneyland & Disney World that are empty.
    Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:14:21 PM EDT
    [#44]
    Quoted:
    Nope.

• TFA $2.0B $245M
  • R1 $1.0B $200M
  • TLJ $1.3B $375M
  • Solo $400M $275M

m

View Quote
    Advertising for them is into the 9 figure range. That Female Ghostbusters flip had something like a 200m budget for advertising.
    Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:27:32 PM EDT
    [#45]
    Just put this guy in charge of it.  He clearly loves star wars and is creative.

Giant LEGO Mon Calamari Cruiser with Full Interior! Custom Star Wars
    Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:35:45 PM EDT
    [#46]
    Star Destroyers

GIANT LEGO Star Destroyer with Full Interior! Custom Star Wars
    Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:48:54 PM EDT
    [#47]
    I'm just here to make it known that I didn't give a fuck about star wars before it was cool to not give a fuck about star wars.
    Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:48:56 PM EDT
    [#48]
    Quoted:
    Another good rant about the current state of SW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afN9RVKhogY
    View Quote
    The hardcore serious fans have zero positive things to say about Star Wars from what I’ve seen. I follow the anti SJW nerds / geeks on Youtube but click around when I have time to compare and contrast and I haven’t found 1 channel speaking well of Star Wars or really even sci fi generally other than the handful of usual suspects that are notorious for their uncritically shilling for the movie industry
    Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:51:50 PM EDT
    [#49]
    Quoted:

His theory is plausible.

If it’s true, while Disney is trying to reduce Lucas’ residuals, they're simultaneously killing the franchise and reducing their total revenue.

Kind of ironic.
    View Quote
    These days it feels like Disney treats these franchises like the Chinese mafia buying bad Chinese restaurants to use as fronts for money laundering
    Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:55:17 PM EDT
    [#50]
    Quoted:

It might be worse:
    Click To View Spoiler.

Same God damned retarded rights split is contributing to the destruction of Star Trek.  That plus overwhelming SJW politics at CBS, and terrible writers who hate everything that Star Trek stands for at both CBS and Paramount/Bad Robot.
    View Quote
    Yeah the big franchises; Star Trek, Star Wars, etc. Bad Robot is another one has pissed off fandom. Doctor Who too
    Page / 5
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top