Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Haven’t worn a suit in 12 years.

My grandfather died and I was one of the pallbearers. I wore my suit, ended up not wearing the jacket because none of my cousins had jackets.

Bought a couple of sports jackets 10 years ago. It’s rare to pull them out.

My grandmother died 2 months ago. Again, I was asked to be a pallbearer. My mother called me, told me not to worry about packing a jacket or tie.

I wore some khaki pants with a nice shirt. My cousin’s husband who was also a pallbearer wore some dark slacks. All my other cousins wore jeans.

I’m not a fashion icon or anything. I wear jeans and dickies work shirts everyday, but I just don’t see it anymore. Heck even when I went to court for divorce, my lawyer wore a sports jacket and slacks, but no tie.

When I die, just bury me in jeans and a dickies shirt. Just no reason to rot in eternity in uncomfortable clothes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:45:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m a partner in a public affairs firm. Pre-covid it was dress clothes everyday. For the past year and a half, I’ve put a suit on less than ten times. I keep a couple in the office in addition to shirts, ties and three pairs of dress shoes just in case… but they mostly gather dust.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:05:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I wear scrubs as work clothes, but the reality is that global clothing production has been hammered by Covid-19 and the global transportation issues.

Places like Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, and China have had all sorts of shutdowns, labor restrictions, etc… not to mention actual transportation.

Getting a freaking shipping container is problematic.
Getting that container a spot on a ship is problematic.
Getting that container loaded on the ship is problematic.
Getting that ship unloaded in the US is problematic.
Getting through customs and onto land transport is problematic.

The whole thing is a giant shitshow right now. And it’s not going to change anytime soon.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:09:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If I wanted to look like a pederast college professor or a second rate liberal opinion writer I would own and wear a bow tie.
View Quote

Mic drop.

That was beautiful.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:10:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:11:16 AM EDT
[#6]
The Walmart crowd is taking over the world.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:19:06 AM EDT
[#7]
The instances where I would wear dress cloths have become vanishingly rare.

At this point. If I wore that outside. I would be scheduled to be culturally enriched.

The communists in this day and age view such clothes as bourgeoise and will act appropriately.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:45:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Walmart crowd is taking over the world.
View Quote

This

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:56:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I usually think I’ve been around here long enough to anticipate arfcom’s aversion to sartorial matters but GD still finds ways to surprise me.

What, exactly, is it about a wool scarf that is worthy of derision? They come in awfully handy at cold football games.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry to disappoint boys but not a fat neck beard or a skinny simp.

We're not a bunch of bums in my house.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346339/0701BC34-8A10-401B-90D8-C89DDE138690_jpe-2079689.JPG

A scarf.

Sorry bro but

I usually think I’ve been around here long enough to anticipate arfcom’s aversion to sartorial matters but GD still finds ways to surprise me.

What, exactly, is it about a wool scarf that is worthy of derision? They come in awfully handy at cold football games.

Outside with a coat? Absolutely. I think he was laughing at the half a fags that wear them indoors as a fashion statement.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:57:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nobody wants that shit anymore.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:57:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I’m a holdout like you, OP…wear suits to work despite the office going more casual with each passing year.

There is NOTHING casual about business!

Resist the race to the bottom.
View Quote

Anywhere I've ever worked you'd be "That Guy" and people would make fun of you. You have a nickname at work with the young people. Do you know what it is? Also very few people would take you seriously. Trying WAY too hard.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:00:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How many of you own or know how to tie a bow tie?
View Quote

The only thing worse than indoor scarf guy or suit when nobody else is wearing a suit guy is fucking bow tie guy.

Stop it. Just stop it.

Or actually keep doing it. It's funny.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:02:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bunch a lonely edge lords in here
View Quote

Married. Plenty of women before that. I will wear a suit to a wedding, funeral, or interview. When in Rome. If I go somewhere that requires a certain dress, I dress that way. Rest of the time I don't pretend I'm an accountant from 1932.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:03:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Only for boomers.

I won't wear a shirt with a collar.  Shorts, t-shirt and sandals, everyday.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:04:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If I wanted to look like a pederast college professor or a second rate liberal opinion writer I would own and wear a bow tie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many of you own or know how to tie a bow tie?

My law school had a bow tie professor. Nice guy but definitely super creepy. Everyone thought he was gay until his wife showed up (which I guess is no guarantee). We had a bow tie guy student too. I got along with him but he always looks like he's trying too hard. He married a really pretty girl. Maybe he just ACTS gay. Who knows?
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:05:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Or naval aviators and men with light grey suits.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boomer clothes.  I'm in construction and have no use for that shit.

I'm 32
Brown shoes are for old people. I'm 49

Or naval aviators and men with light grey suits.

Kharn

I did a stretch in the Brown Shoe Navy. Never got high enough to wear the brown shoes. Highly preferable to the Black Shoe Navy. Those people were all kinds of fucked up. Just some odd, odd ways.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:07:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Swear to God I've never heard so many men complain about dressing well. You'd think that it was a punishment. A well fitting suit or for that matter a blazer and slacks are just clothing. Like jeans and a tee shirt. No harder to wear really. And frankly, some of you incels might get laid a little more often if you put ON a suit once in awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wRHBLwpASw
View Quote

ZZ Top was hot 40 years ago and the song was silly (but fun) then.
I've never met one woman who throws pussy at a guy because he wears a suit. And I know some real pussy throwers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:08:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've thought for a few years that it would be a funny joke to get a traditional shooting jacket to wear to the duck blind one morning.

Even funnier if I show up with tie and english cap on the dog.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fa/06/d3/fa06d37020d00af3c00adc59db6f1262.jpg
View Quote

That whole "gun library" cosplay is just super, super creepy. Like furries and Bronies would beat you up if they weren't such massive sissies.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:12:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Part of me growing up was to know how to change a flat. Address people as Sir and Ma'am. Carry a knife. Have a nice wallet with $100 tucked inside. Know how to tie your own lure. Take care of your tools. Have a nice watch. Know which utensil to use. To eat your steak medium-rare at most. How to enjoy bourbon. How to enjoy wine. Know which direction is north. Hold the door open for anyone, especially women. Rotate your ties. Own a sport coat. Own a suit.

I'll be 40 next year and I still think all that matters. GD is such a spaghetti of not knowing what they truly want. Its either a race to be the less caring and cheapest or to be the most opulent. If someone doesn't agree with the way one feels then that makes that person some sorta troglodyte in their narrow world.

I like nice clothes. I love well fitted jacket, shirt, jeans, nice shoes, all that stuff. I love the confidence it gives me and how people look at me, especially the women-folk. That's it. That's all there is to it for me. If you think that makes me a Yes Man, Boomer, or whatever stupid fucking term that GD wants to latch onto this quarter then that's on you -- GD loves its wide, broad brushes.
View Quote

That sounds like you respect your Dad or your Grandpa and they taught you that way. Fully understandable. But time moves on.

I  can do all of the skills on your list. But when do I have to? And the odd time it comes up I often have someone else do it because I don't feel like it.

For example, I know how to fix a flat, and much more than that. But when I get a flat I push the button on the rear view mirror and they send me a tow truck. Is the sweaty, dirty guy changing my tire looking down on me for making him do it? What the fuck do I care? I'm not better than that guy. I'd hang out with that guy. But what I AM is smart enough to get someone else to change my tire.

Kind of a metaphor how life, styles, skillsets, and pretty much everything moves on, and how if you stay behind you end up past it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:12:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I’ve managed to make it through life in jeans and a T-shirt.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:14:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Well, you're exactly the same age as my daughter. Obviously YOU were raised properly by parents with manners and standards. Instead of slackers proud of their ignorance who passed it along to their children...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Part of me growing up was to know how to change a flat. Address people as Sir and Ma'am. Carry a knife. Have a nice wallet with $100 tucked inside. Know how to tie your own lure. Take care of your tools. Have a nice watch. Know which utensil to use. To eat your steak medium-rare at most. How to enjoy bourbon. How to enjoy wine. Know which direction is north. Hold the door open for anyone, especially women. Rotate your ties. Own a sport coat. Own a suit.

I'll be 40 next year and I still think all that matters. GD is such a spaghetti of not knowing what they truly want. Its either a race to be the less caring and cheapest or to be the most opulent. If someone doesn't agree with the way one feels then that makes that person some sorta troglodyte in their narrow world.

I like nice clothes. I love well fitted jacket, shirt, jeans, nice shoes, all that stuff. I love the confidence it gives me and how people look at me, especially the women-folk. That's it. That's all there is to it for me. If you think that makes me a Yes Man, Boomer, or whatever stupid fucking term that GD wants to latch onto this quarter then that's on you -- GD loves its wide, broad brushes.

Well, you're exactly the same age as my daughter. Obviously YOU were raised properly by parents with manners and standards. Instead of slackers proud of their ignorance who passed it along to their children...

It's still kinda creepy though. Just old, old ways. Smart people have adapted and have the best part of those standards and ten times more. Being behind isn't a badge of honor. Well, anywhere but here anyway.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:15:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Dressed up in my town is church jeans, your good boots, tucked in collared shirt and maybe a sport coat...maybe. I own one suit and it collects dust
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:32:26 AM EDT
[#23]
GD acts as though their tiny self inflicted microcosm represents the entirety of the world.

I work in Japan and the standard is a suit and tie. Everyone from kindergartners to businessmen.

It's great not seeing fucking pajamas out on the train or some nasty person with old ripped up stained clothes. People care about how they looks and how that creates a better society around them. We've definitely lost that in the US.

I'd much rather work in a world were suits and dresses were the norm and not the exception.

Wife and I wear nice clothes (her dress, me suit) to dinner as often as we can, even back in the states.

I own a couple suits and a couple tuxedos and always on the lookout for more.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:43:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I’m 32
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boomer clothes.  I’m in construction and have no use for that shit.

I’m 32

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:49:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Under armour
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:02:13 AM EDT
[#26]
The difference made between using nice clothing vs cargo shorts, tie-dyes and combat boots is called fuck you money.

I don't care that I have nice clothes. I care that a lot of you don't seem to understand they're a tool. I don't need that tool anymore but it's still in my toolbox made of fuck you money.

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:05:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We’re all just walking around in 5.11s and Salomons now.

Classless fuckers.
View Quote

If I'm not working somewhere that requires FR and steel toes then I'm at home.  Either indoors or working outside on my own shit in 1 million degrees farenheit.

I have precisely 1 sport coat for weddings and funerals.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm retired and don't need to wear dress clothes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#29]
so?
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:51:11 AM EDT
[#30]
grow up
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:52:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I had some time on my hands this afternoon so I took a ride to some stores to look at a new pair of brown leather shoes and maybe a new sport jacket.

My in-laws are coming in this week for my wedding and I figured a new jacket my be nice for dinner.

All the department stores are disgusting and a mess with fake leather garbage. Ok. I go to Jos a banks and they said the only have 1 style in stock.

All the other men’s shops had zero stock. Ugly plain sport coats. Like wtf happened, they decided to make garbage in China and now can’t get any stock......

View Quote

I think it really depends where you live.

Major 'postcard' cities have high end retailers out the ass (NYC, SF, LA, Miami, Boston, Vegas, etc.) Any one of those will turn up a Zegna or equivalent Italian/French/US sport coat or suit within the hour.

https://www.zegna.com/us-en/ready-to-wear/blazers/product.zegna-xxx-centoventimila-wool-jacket.10372123/

By comparison, Boise, the capital of Idaho, rates a single Nordstrom Rack, and one of Idaho's 2 remaining Macys...

It's easy to imagine the difficulty when we then drop down to even more obscure states and cities.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 6:40:53 AM EDT
[#32]
I wear a suit 6 days a week so I have a tailor. Jos A Banks is shit.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Outside of a wedding, I have only dressed up in a full on suit and tie once, and that was for a super posh New Years party at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. If you don't work in business, it's just not a big deal. I'll be the first to admit, a nice fitting suit makes me feel like James Bond, but they are too situational and expensive to be worth the price of admission.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 7:03:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Wranglers and Tshirts that's it
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#35]
I’ve worn a suit more times than I care to the last couple years because of funerals.

I’ll wear them to Church sometimes. I wear them to Masonic events, degrees, etc.

I like wearing a suit but I also have never had to for work. My dad did quite a lot when I was growing up though and he never seemed to mind.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 7:10:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Major 'postcard' cities have high end retailers out the ass (NYC, SF, LA, Miami, Boston, Vegas, etc.) Any one of those will turn up a Zegna or equivalent Italian/French/US sport coat or suit within the hour.

https://www.zegna.com/us-en/ready-to-wear/blazers/product.zegna-xxx-centoventimila-wool-jacket.10372123/

By comparison, Boise, the capital of Idaho, rates a single Nordstrom Rack, and one of Idaho's 2 remaining Macys...

It's easy to imagine the difficulty when we then drop down to even more obscure states and cities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had some time on my hands this afternoon so I took a ride to some stores to look at a new pair of brown leather shoes and maybe a new sport jacket.

My in-laws are coming in this week for my wedding and I figured a new jacket my be nice for dinner.

All the department stores are disgusting and a mess with fake leather garbage. Ok. I go to Jos a banks and they said the only have 1 style in stock.

All the other men’s shops had zero stock. Ugly plain sport coats. Like wtf happened, they decided to make garbage in China and now can’t get any stock......

GD: "$3995 is five PSA daily deal guns and money left over for some swag t-shirts."

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
All three of my cotton robes are at the cleaners, so I'm rocking my newest grass skirt. Some of the stalks are still sort
View Quote
I used to have to suit-up for my job but I retired and now have fully embraced the "bathrobe lifestyle".
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm retired and don't need to wear dress clothes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
GD acts as though their tiny self inflicted microcosm represents the entirety of the world.

I work in Japan and the standard is a suit and tie. Everyone from kindergartners to businessmen.

It's great not seeing fucking pajamas out on the train or some nasty person with old ripped up stained clothes. People care about how they looks and how that creates a better society around them. We've definitely lost that in the US.

I'd much rather work in a world were suits and dresses were the norm and not the exception.

Wife and I wear nice clothes (her dress, me suit) to dinner as often as we can, even back in the states.

I own a couple suits and a couple tuxedos and always on the lookout for more.  

View Quote

Even laborers in Europe and probably in Japan wear a type of uniform usually.

The US has only just started getting on board with proper clothing for labor, jeans and t-shirts often don't cut it for durability or function.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#40]
I work in Pharma in an open office environment, which means a lot of the Senior Execs share the same space.

I never have seen one in a suit.  

I've seen them wear nice business attire, but a full on suit?  Nope.

Even the people that come in for interviews pre-covid didn't wear suits.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Nobody wants that shit anymore.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Before I moved to FL, even going to nice restaurants up north required only high end jeans and, maybe a sport coat.

I’ve got two nice sports coats (one never worn) and a suit I wore to a couple high end events.

I’ll need the suit in a couple years for a job interview.

Formal in FL is nice dress shorts and a polo or dress shirt.

Guys just don’t have a need for a closet full of dress pants and sport coats.

TC
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#43]
if your that into it rock on..... if guys are not into it... rock on.
much of all that clothes shit was to impress women. do corny shit for them at weddings. etc  i never got into all that.
i never needed suits for my career. we are in HVAC. the parts and equipment dont care how ya dress and the customers are mostly contractors
coming from jobs. i dont wear flip flops.. thats for women. i wear combat boots alot. im always doing stuff in the woods or shooting guns.
the impress the spouse days are long over here. she just wants me to walk the dog and pick up turds in the morning lol.. im not a party, go
out in citys guy. never was hate that shit. so no suits needed here. no brown shoes unless they are Danner combat boots.
hardly a poor bum here.

i have to many other things i want to do then play dress up.

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You also have to realize all the fat bodies look like shit in a suit. You have to be in shape to look good in a suit. GD neckbeard basement dwellers
View Quote

It doesn't have to be a suit. Dark jeans, nice shoes, a button up and a sports jacket that all fit properly would be perfectly fine. Just some sense of style.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If we go for a nice steak dinner I’ll throw on a jacket. I typically won’t wear ties unless its formal.
View Quote

I may be weird, but I enjoy going to a nice place that requires gentlemen to wear a jacket. The food is generally amazing and the service is unlike anything you'll ever get during a date night at Applebees. I'm thinking Commander's Palace in New Orleans kind of dining. It's a special occasion and dressing up adds to that.

That said, Mrs. Bladeswitcher and I once tried to get a table at the Eiffel Tower restaurant in Las Vegas. They said they wouldn't seat me since I was wearing shorts. They offered loaner pants. I passed. I draw the line at somebody else's pants, and you shouldn't have to dress up to eat in Vegas.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 8:36:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Boomer clothes.  I’m in construction and have no use for that shit.
View Quote

always dress to work.

you go ahead and change a tire with a sport jacket and dockers on. i'll keep my carhartts and tshirts.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Suits should only be worn for special occasions such as weddings , wake / funeral , I don't think thats to much to ask .
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Five months out of the year, I wear a coat and tie four days a week.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#49]
I do.

I have multiple suits, sport coats, and probably 7 pair of expensive dress shoes/oxfords/loafers/sneakers.

I admire men’s clothing style and I like to dress well.  I’m in shape and enjoy seeing well fitting clothes on.  

If someone wants to wear sweat pants or torn jeans with a T shirt to work or out to a function, great for them.  Enjoy
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Every store has decided to go to the cheapest products, which means Chinese stuff. I don’t know how much a pair of American made leather dress shoes would cost. I did find a brand that is cost prohibitive, that is made in America. Their dress shoes cost $500, which is nuts.

American businessmen have stupidly sold their souls to China, and it shows, there is no quality left in much of anything.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top