Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What Pythonista says:  I say the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The people going through withdrawal are hurting just as bad.  Sure, it's self inflicted, but that pain is jsut as real.

Are we a compassionate society, or do we punish people in pain becasue someone might be able to escape their miserable lives for a few moments a day?
What Pythonista says:  I say the same.
It appears though I have never used any opiates, I am a drug seeker because I believe a person should have control over their bodies and what they put in it.  You too will find that though you have no history of drug abuse, you are put in the same box.  I think, the people who are afraid that other people might get relief of some sort do not want other people to get relief.  I can't understand why though.  What is it to them? Other than the vicarious thrill every dictator gets from saying 'no' to starving children.

The power to judge someone and then the power to deny someone must be quite compelling.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Because I am talking about people who go to the ER saying they are having chest pain, kidney stones, gall bladder pain, migraines, cancer,  etc. when they do not in an attempt to obtain narcotics.

There is a whole subculture of recreational narcotic users that have become addicts making up shit they don’t have in order to be given narcotics in emergency departments.
To the point they catch people injuring their urethra in the bathroom to make their urine show a bunch of blood in it, then finding out they have been to seven ERs with negative CT scans in the past month.  Or the patient saying they are having a sickle cell crisis don’t have sickle cell anemia.  Or the guy with cancer with Mets to the bone ends up having totally normal labs and no cancer.
If I am talking about people lying about shit they don’t have to score narcotics.
View Quote
Wouldn't it be a more pleasant world if they were handed the drugs they wanted, without having to go through the histrionics, or even not having to show up at the E.R.?   Why support a system that force them to inflict their addiction on everyone else, when a simple solution is at hand?

We know for an absolute fact:  We will not stop drug usage.  In fact, we know we will not even slow it down.  So do we double down on not stopping it or slowing it down, or do we solve the solution by simply providing the drugs for free in a controlled environment.

Or do you have a better solution that has not been tried yet?
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"bad review" is the key word.
Some hospitals don't get paid unless the patient is satisfied with the care they received.
View Quote
People don't think Press Ganey is a thing, but Press Ganey is *the* thing.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hell, it seems like the opposite these days.

While back I had my wisdom teeth pulled.
When I was checking out I asked if I got any sort of pain meds given that I had an abscess and had all 4 wisdoms yanked in one sitting.

Dentist looked at me like I was the biggest junkie POS on the face of the earth and gave me the most condescending "NO, that is what Tylenol is for" before huffing out of the room.

Umm, ok.
View Quote
My dentist prescribed me some type of pain killers without me even asking about anything which surprised the hell out of me.
Fucking things made me throwup. Learned I had to take a half pill and wait a while then take the other half.
Still got probably 3/4s of the bottle in my cabinet.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They get their script 9 times out of 10....who's fooling who?
View Quote
Because it's far cheaper to give them a quick dose of something inexpensive and send them on their way, versus the alternative which is they languish in an ED bed for hours and hours which costs thousands of dollars and means that bed isn't open for someone who really needs it. Not saying I agree with this, but I understand it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wouldn't it be a more pleasant world if they were handed the drugs they wanted, without having to go through the histrionics, or even not having to show up at the E.R.?   Why support a system that force them to inflict their addiction on everyone else, when a simple solution is at hand?

We know for an absolute fact:  We will not stop drug usage.  In fact, we know we will not even slow it down.  So do we double down on not stopping it or slowing it down, or do we solve the solution by simply providing the drugs for free in a controlled environment.

Or do you have a better solution that has not been tried yet?
View Quote
Their solution is "because... fuck you and your adult consequences, I'm gonna protect you from yourself". If you exhibit libertarian beliefs, that somehow makes you a "doper" and you should be killed (as stated by a couple of wing nuts in this thread).

While I do understand the can of worms that living in a fully-free society really is... I know that the nanny state society sure as hell hasn't cleaned-up any messes. It's all a mess. People are a mess. Personal responsibility is history. We're all just living in the matrix. I don't have the answers. But I know enough not to trust anyone who claims to have all the answers. Last year, I was given a prescription to Narcan when I was prescribed a low grade Percocet dose. I was like "WTF?". The pharmacy said we have to give those out now. WHY??? If someone takes a freakin bottle of medicine, when the legally-prescribed dose is one or two pills... WHY are we bringing them back... just to play the game all over again? It's bizarre. And what you get when you live in a nanny state. When I was a kid, if we were playing dumb kid games at a friend's house and got hurt, our parents didn't sue the neighbor. It was like "win stupid prizes". Now when your kid gets hurt at a friend's house, you sue the homeowner's insurance company and go on vacation. It's messed-up. I don't see a good end to society. I know that it ends badly. I just don't know how long it takes to bleed-out. I truly fear for my kids and what they will experience. I may not be around to see the worst of it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What the hell is suboxone? And what's the point of using one narcotic drug instead of another?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The drug seekers are flocking to the latest boom industry around these parts.  "Drug Rehab" clinics.  From what I get from most addicts it's mostly suboxone treatment with no real plan for ever getting them off the stuff.  They just medicate them as long as someone is willing to pay.  So when suboxone gets the hammer like oxycontin did from the "pain clinics" what are all those addicts going to do?  The World really doesn't want to see them in recovery, they just want to take as much of that money from them as they can get while it lasts.
What the hell is suboxone? And what's the point of using one narcotic drug instead of another?
It's a maintenance drug that prevents users from getting dopesick. If you use it while still using dope it immediately puts you into withdrawal.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The medical industry is built on treating symptoms, not curing causes.
View Quote
Sigh, some things aren't curable, and palliative care is all you can do.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm on a pain management schedule of four Tramadol per day. I take two before work, one at lunch and one at bedtime. It works better for me than harder pain medications like Oxycontin, Vicodin, or Percocet. Narcotics make me itchy and put me in a foul mood. Every time I go in for a checkup my physician asks me if I would like a script for Oxy CR to keep on hand in case my pain is unmanageable with just the Tramadol. There are some days that are worse than others but I manage. I keep telling him that I'm satisfied with the current plan.

When I go in for my yearly check up at the VA, the physicians there are always trying to push Oxycontin for my pain and other meds for PTSD symptoms. I'm currently doing fine but they see that rating for PTSD and just assume I'm a mess.

Luckily I have supervisors that understand I move a little slower than most and have to sit down more often, but I get my work done and always get my patients needs met as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm on a pain management schedule of four Tramadol per day. I take two before work, one at lunch and one at bedtime. It works better for me than harder pain medications like Oxycontin, Vicodin, or Percocet. Narcotics make me itchy and put me in a foul mood. Every time I go in for a checkup my physician asks me if I would like a script for Oxy CR to keep on hand in case my pain is unmanageable with just the Tramadol. There are some days that are worse than others but I manage. I keep telling him that I'm satisfied with the current plan.

When I go in for my yearly check up at the VA, the physicians there are always trying to push Oxycontin for my pain and other meds for PTSD symptoms. I'm currently doing fine but they see that rating for PTSD and just assume I'm a mess.

Luckily I have supervisors that understand I move a little slower than most and have to sit down more often, but I get my work done and always get my patients needs met as quickly and efficiently as possible.
View Quote
I was on tramadol for a year or two. Wasn't helpful for me in any way, and really upset my stomach. I had better luck with 800mg ibuprofen than tramadol. But after a while of being prescribed the latter, I was like "I'll just take four 200mg OTC ibuprofen instead" and did that for a little while until I knocked it back to just a couple of occasional ones. I've tried to rotate through the NSAIDS so I'm giving my liver and kidneys a break here and there.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#11]
When we were kids, if we got sick my parents would go to the local pharmacy, sign a book and come home with OTC codeine syrup in a tiny bottle.  Man I wish that was still a thing, nothing else really works for a cough.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You do know that people tolerate and experience pain, hunger, etc very differently, no? There is a lady that is being studied right now who feels no pain. She could have broken bones, lay her hand on hot coals, etc and have no reaction. I believe that the experts have found that she's got a fraction of the pain/nerve receptors of an average person. Human beings are different. Who knew?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is your opinion on why they are not going to spend decades of their life on narcotics everyday and still work, have demanding jobs, etc.?
You do know that people tolerate and experience pain, hunger, etc very differently, no? There is a lady that is being studied right now who feels no pain. She could have broken bones, lay her hand on hot coals, etc and have no reaction. I believe that the experts have found that she's got a fraction of the pain/nerve receptors of an average person. Human beings are different. Who knew?
Also, even with exact same conditions, no two situations are exactly alike. Every individual case has something different somewhere. No two persons are the exact same, especially in medicine.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#13]
While passing an 8mm kidney stone, the pain was so bad my wife took me to the ER. The nurse was reluctant to give me any pain meds despite the obvious pain I was in. After they sent me for the CAT scan and confirmed the big stone, he was more sympathetic and gave me something.  It struck me later that he thought I was an addict trying to score.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When we were kids, if we got sick my parents would go to the local pharmacy, sign a book and come home with OTC codeine syrup in a tiny bottle.  Man I wish that was still a thing, nothing else really works for a cough.
View Quote
But muh wahr on drugs!
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Scratched the shit out of my cornea. It was throbbing, spasming, watering, and I could barely open it. I just wanted numbing drops so that I could sleep. They wouldn't give me numbing drops, because reasons.

They examined it, confirmed that it was scratched to shit, and offered to set an appointment with eye doc for three days later. Bitch please, the epithelial cells will fill back in an harden in 48 hours. I just need it to be numb for the night.

Eye drops. They wouldn't give me eye drops.

So, instead of topical anesthetic drops I had to drink myself into a stupor. Thanks, cunts.
View Quote
The drops you are referring to are toxic to your cornea.
Had they given them to you, you might well be blind in that eye, and on the corneal transplant list.
You're welcome
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Think of it as the new methadone. The patients can taper it, sort of, better than the opiates to which they were originally addicted. There's either no high at all, or a lot less. And I could be wrong but I think it's harder to overdose.

It's swapping one destructive addiction for slightly-less-destructive addiction. As Executive Vice President of the Bad Analogy Club, I'd say it's like using Juul to quit real cigarettes.

ETA: see also Swampgrass' post. Buprenorphine (the opioid in Suboxone) is often combined with Narcan, for exactly the effect he described. I forgot about that part.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Weird, I've had the exact opposite issues.  I cannot take strong pain meds.  Not sure which ones, but they make me feel like crap, so I never take them.

Broke my arm one winter.  ER guy kept asking me if I wanted pain meds.  Kept telling him no.  He looked at me like I grew a second head.

Sliced open my leg bad enough that I almost died from blood loss.  They stitched me up.  offered me pain meds and I declined.  They looked at me like I was a junkie and was trying a Jedi Mind trick on them
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The drug seekers are flocking to the latest boom industry around these parts.  "Drug Rehab" clinics.  From what I get from most addicts it's mostly suboxone treatment with no real plan for ever getting them off the stuff.  They just medicate them as long as someone is willing to pay.  So when suboxone gets the hammer like oxycontin did from the "pain clinics" what are all those addicts going to do?  The World really doesn't want to see them in recovery, they just want to take as much of that money from them as they can get while it lasts.
The point really is all about being able to bill various insurance providers for drugs instead of forcing the patient to steal copper.  That's considered "rehab" in some parts.

https://www.suboxone.com/treatment/suboxone-film

I'm not saying it can't work, because in the right setting I believe it can.  But what I'm seeing is clinics just dispensing it with seemingly no exit strategy for the patient.  It also gets smuggled into jails fairly frequently.  Go to any hobo camp and you'll see empty foil packs for it on the ground.  Addicts tell me the withdrawal from it is harder than heroin.  Any Arfcommers on here have direct experience with it?  Most of my information is anecdotal from addicts with an agenda.  I also know a few prosecuting attorney types who revile the clinics that dispense it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Weird, I've had the exact opposite issues.  I cannot take strong pain meds.  Not sure which ones, but they make me feel like crap, so I never take them.

Broke my arm one winter.  ER guy kept asking me if I wanted pain meds.  Kept telling him no.  He looked at me like I grew a second head.

Sliced open my leg bad enough that I almost died from blood loss.  They stitched me up.  offered me pain meds and I declined.  They looked at me like I was a junkie and was trying a Jedi Mind trick on them
View Quote
EVERYONE is a junkie to the ER flunkies who don't seem to have the power of discernment. I'm not impugning all ER folks, just the shitty ones who can't follow a simple flow chart. Their flow chart seems to be Patient = Junkie.

Btw... my wife can't/won't take pain meds. They make her sick and don't do anything for her. Everyone is different. Though she did say that during her trip to the ER after being hit by a truck as a pedestrian, they gave her a pill that had her feeling pretty good for a while (and no nausea). I assume it was oxy or something. But for someone who never takes the stuff, anything would likely be effective.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You know you're right. One of the other docs on this board mentioned a model that would work great. Patients can get what ever they want from the pharmacy, no restrictions. Docs just recommend what they think is appropriate, no scripts and thus no responsibility from the docs.

This actually makes a lot of sense from the doc's point of view. Just make a recommendation, you're free to go with it or decide you know better. If you think you know better, but upon your death it's clear you did not know better, well there's no responsibility in the form of a prescription from a doc.

Docs don't have to deal with state dea's, federal dea's etc. No more worry about having the prescription pad with all the safety checks, no more worry about people trying to steal prescription pads. No more worry about drug seekers, no more worry about expensive malpractice insurance, no more worry about losing your license for trying to treat your patients in a complete lose/lose situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People having to play "mother may I" with the medical industry to get pain relief is ridiculous.  Just legalize it already.
You know you're right. One of the other docs on this board mentioned a model that would work great. Patients can get what ever they want from the pharmacy, no restrictions. Docs just recommend what they think is appropriate, no scripts and thus no responsibility from the docs.

This actually makes a lot of sense from the doc's point of view. Just make a recommendation, you're free to go with it or decide you know better. If you think you know better, but upon your death it's clear you did not know better, well there's no responsibility in the form of a prescription from a doc.

Docs don't have to deal with state dea's, federal dea's etc. No more worry about having the prescription pad with all the safety checks, no more worry about people trying to steal prescription pads. No more worry about drug seekers, no more worry about expensive malpractice insurance, no more worry about losing your license for trying to treat your patients in a complete lose/lose situation.
As long as the pharmacist/pharmacy has the same corresponding immunity, I'm OK with this.  Along with immunity from civil/criminal prosecution if I canoe some motherfucker's head for trying to rob me because his broke ass can't afford to buy his next fix.  Otherwise, I'm quite happy to sell him the rope he'll eventually hang himself with.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

As long as the pharmacist/pharmacy has the same corresponding immunity, I'm OK with this.  Along with immunity from civil/criminal prosecution if I canoe some motherfucker's head for trying to rob me because his broke ass can't afford to buy his next fix.  Otherwise, I'm quite happy to sell him the rope he'll eventually hang himself with.
View Quote
Seems like a win-win to me either way. I know that in this day and age, I'd be packing if I were a pharmacist. But I suppose there are laws or at least corporate rules against packing around a narcotics dispensary.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buprenorphine.  Same theory as methadone treatment, without the hazard of overdosing/dying on a med that has a >4 day half life.  The theory is to get someone off street drugs by giving them a "safe" alternative, then tapering them off gradually.

Both are bullshit without a taper plan and a cooperative patient who really wants to be rid of their addiction.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
You still can in GA (I think), if you can find someone willing to sell it to you.  Ask for Robitussin AC.  You can get a 4 oz bottle every 48 hours.  I buy a couple bottles a year during cough/cold/flu season.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Seems like a win-win to me either way. I know that in this day and age, I'd be packing if I were a pharmacist. But I suppose there are laws or at least corporate rules against packing around a narcotics dispensary.
View Quote
You'd be surprised, despite basically all the chain pharmacies forbidding it.  If you ever see me wearing a lab coat/jacket in a pharmacy, it ain't because I'm cold.

If I had to go back into retail pharmacy today, I'd sink some money into a good vest as well.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#25]
With my last kidney stone I had to go to the ER and had just taken my blood pressure meds right before the stone started hurting. I get to the hospital and my blood pressure is normal except I'm in extreme pain. The doctor actually verbally accused me of being a drug seeker and told me that I needed a ct scan. I didn't have insurance at the time and tried to get him to order a regular xray with an IVP drip because it costs about $150 vs the $3700 that the ct scan costs. I've had at least 50 of the IVP xrays so I know what they are and what they show plus the dye tends to help push the stone out. I tried to explain that I couldn't afford the ct scan. He became indignant and told me that I had to do the ct scan if I wanted any pain relief. I told him to please access my records and he would see that I'm not lying about having a stone because I have visited the same ER at least 30 times in the past 20 years for confirmed kidney stones. He came back later  and told me that I had a 4mm stone with sarcastic tone to his voice. I told him that's what I tried to tell him but he wouldn't listen and all he had to do was to look at my records. I filed a complaint about him with the state of Virginia.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's a maintenance drug that prevents users from getting dopesick. If you use it while still using dope it immediately puts you into withdrawal.
View Quote
I have a patient on sub who saves them up and take several of them at a time so he can feel high.

I'm sure there are people who use sub correctly, and wean themselves off.  But I haven't met any of them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have a patient on sub who saves them up and take several of them at a time so he can feel high.

I'm sure there are people who use sub correctly, and wean themselves off.  But I haven't met any of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Junkies gonna junkie. It's still a better option then some chick selling her ass for H.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Buprenorphine.  Same theory as methadone treatment, without the hazard of overdosing/dying on a med that has a >4 day half life.  The theory is to get someone off street drugs by giving them a "safe" alternative, then tapering them off gradually.

Both are bullshit without a taper plan and a cooperative patient who really wants to be rid of their addiction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And therein is what perplexes me (not really, I'm just being rhetorical). How is it with these apparently highly addictive drugs (opioids) we keep hearing about so many people use them but then have no problem stopping. Drug addiction rates haven't dramatically changes over the years, as a percent of the population, only what people are addicted to. In fact, if you exclude marijuana from the data drug addiction rates have been fairly stable the past decade plus. It seems to me the focus should be on the root problem which is addiction, and what causes it (genetic predisposition to addiction perhaps?), not on the symptom which is what drugs are addicts using. But that would be tough work and might uncover some ugly societal truths that many people don't want sunlight shining on.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There is a ton of fear about the legality of that sort of stuff among older people these days.

When my mom was on home hospice care they left a veritable supermarket of pain meds for her. After she passed my dad was so freaked out about having any of her stuff around he called the hospice people who told him to just toss them. He was so worried about them "falling into the wrong hands" that he gathered them up and took them to the police station.
View Quote
I have been around the hospice thing twice.  The nurses were very diligent about getting all the Fentanyl patches before they left.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#31]
My doctor prescribed me morphine after my first back surgery.  I filled it but never took any.  Was on Hydrocodone for two days then off to the over the counter stuff.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Becareful @wildearp.  Once that prescription expires you are on the hook for illegal narcotics... even if the script was in your name.  No shit
View Quote
A cop is in my house several times a week.  No fucks are given.  Not much attention is given to prescription meds, unless they are wound tightly in a tiny bag, and those aren't my pants.....

I would be more concerned about a piss test at work, but my script is my script. A Flexoril saved me from a trip to the ER.  I was so dehydrated from a roofing job (camelback on all day and hydrating) that I was getting cramps everywhere.  Stupid places too, chin, jaw, calves, quads, arms, chest, and then I got up to piss and got a cramp somewhere in my crotch region.  I had to crawl into bed and that single pill worked.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Doctors were hamstrung by the .gov.

Pain is what the patient says it is after all...
View Quote
And you get lower repayment when those junkies leave bad reviews.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have been around the hospice thing twice.  The nurses were very diligent about getting all the Fentanyl patches before they left.
View Quote
I wonder how much they got for them on the black market?  
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I broke 2 toes and they wouldn't even give me ibuprofen
View Quote
I broke my neck and they wouldn’t give my Tylenol with codeine.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They flushed them down the toilet.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This happened to me when I had major medical issues.  I was in agony and they were treating me like I was an addict or something.  It worked out in the end, but fucking a...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had to take my wife to the hospital for acute abdominal pain a few years ago.  They were polite, but I swear they were treating her like a drug seeker.  Took forever to get her any relief, and she was in agony.  Turns out she had a bowel obstruction.
This happened to me when I had major medical issues.  I was in agony and they were treating me like I was an addict or something.  It worked out in the end, but fucking a...
This happened to me also. I almost passed out in the waiting area from an intestinal blockage.  When I complained to the lady at the desk about the wait she painted to a mom with a toddler and said they were here first and that I needed to “stop complaining.” The rugrat had a cold and mom was using the ER as primary care.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This happened to me also. I almost passed out in the waiting area from an intestinal blockage.  When I complained to the lady at the desk about the wait she painted to a mom with a toddler and said they were here first and that I needed to “stop complaining.” The rugrat had a cold and mom was using the ER as primary care.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had to take my wife to the hospital for acute abdominal pain a few years ago.  They were polite, but I swear they were treating her like a drug seeker.  Took forever to get her any relief, and she was in agony.  Turns out she had a bowel obstruction.
I have been told clutching your chest and talking about constricting pain works to get past that particular gatekeeper.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some hospitals don't get paid unless the patient is satisfied with the care they received.
Yes it is.
And OP-21 was retired by CMS following Q1 2018.

I can’t speak for everyone but once an indicator is firmly off the radar by CMS, we find our times go back to being “not so good.”
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yes it is.

I can’t speak for everyone but once an indicator is firmly off the radar by CMS, we find our times go back to being “not so good.”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes it is.

Preach it!
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Preach it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes it is.

Preach it!
For anyone wondering who hasn't googled this, OP-21 is Pain Management for Long Bone Fracture.

"Description:  Median time from emergency department arrival to time of initial oral,
intranasal, or parenteral pain medication administration for emergency
department patients with a principal diagnosis of long bone fracture (LBF).

Numerator Time (in minutes) from emergency department arrival to time of initial oral,
intranasal or parenteral pain medication administration for emergency
department patients with a diagnosis of a (long bone) fracture.
Denominator N/A Measure is a continuous variable.
Denominator Exclusions N/A Measure is a continuous variable. See numerator details.
Rationale Pain management in patients with long bone fractures is undertreated in
emergency departments (Ritsema, Kelen, Pronovost, & Pham, 2007).
Emergency department pain management has room for improvement (Ritsema
2007). Patients with bone fractures continue to lack administration of pain
medication as part of treatment regimens (Brown, 2003). When standards are
implemented for pain management of these patients administration and
treatment rates for pain improve (Titler, 2009). Disparities continue to exist in
the administration of medication for minorities (Epps, 2008 and Todd, 1993)
and children as well (Brown, 2003 and Friedland, 1994).
Evidence Not Available"
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I am talking about people going to the ER lying about shit they don’t have to get narcotics.
Saying every pain medicine but the ones they want don’t work or that they are allergic to them.
They are not in pain.
They want a fix of narcotics.

I am not talking about the guy with 27 rods and screws in their leg, hip, and back,
Or the poor bastard with cancer that has spread to the bone.
Or the guy that just landed after a parachute jump and has a broken femur sticking out of his thigh.

I thought this thread was about drug seekers lying about shit trying to get narcotics.
There is a huge percentage of ER visits for that.

As for your messed up spine, there are likely people with the exact same findings on X-ray or MRI getting through life just fine without being on narcotics every day.  What is different about you versus them?
View Quote
Lol.  Tell you what fucko...how about we smash your L6 with a bat, paralyze you for a week post-op and give you permanent nerve damage that will never get better...

...and you will begin to get a sense of the difference.

Your smug arrogance will disappear.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Had they given them to you, you might well be blind in that eye, and on the corneal transplant list.
You're welcome
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scratched the shit out of my cornea. It was throbbing, spasming, watering, and I could barely open it. I just wanted numbing drops so that I could sleep. They wouldn't give me numbing drops, because reasons.

They examined it, confirmed that it was scratched to shit, and offered to set an appointment with eye doc for three days later. Bitch please, the epithelial cells will fill back in an harden in 48 hours. I just need it to be numb for the night.

Eye drops. They wouldn't give me eye drops.

So, instead of topical anesthetic drops I had to drink myself into a stupor. Thanks, cunts.
You're welcome
Appropriate avatar is appropriate.

Drug seekers are fairly easy to spot once you see a few.   It's fun to see the disappointment on their little faces when they figure out they aren't getting opioids.   The new opioid prescribing guidelines are the shizzle for telling them to fuck off.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have been told clutching your chest and talking about constricting pain works to get past that particular gatekeeper.
View Quote
A modern day ER is...

Link Posted: 5/30/2019 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
---
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lol.  Tell you what fucko...how about we smash your L6 with a bat, paralyze you for a week post-op and give you permanent nerve damage that will never get better...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am talking about people going to the ER lying about shit they don’t have to get narcotics.
Saying every pain medicine but the ones they want don’t work or that they are allergic to them.
They are not in pain.

I am not talking about the guy with 27 rods and screws in their leg, hip, and back,
Or the guy that just landed after a parachute jump and has a broken femur sticking out of his thigh.

I thought this thread was about drug seekers lying about shit trying to get narcotics.

As for your messed up spine, there are likely people with the exact same findings on X-ray or MRI getting through life just fine without being on narcotics every day.  What is different about you versus them?

People like him don't get it... until/unless some life karma comes along to bitch slap him into another perspective. It's human nature really. I used to be a 100% hardcore tee-totaler on drugs, alcohol, weed, etc. I got in a pretty heated argument with a coworker about medical MJ when it came to our town. He was for it. I was rabidly against it. Mostly because the tye-dyed t-shirt wearing idiots advocating for it were their own worst enemies. I eventually started to hear stories of cancer patients, etc who'd received some relief from it... which made me think "who the hell am I, to tell THEM how they should be able to treat their pain and misery???"

And then I herniated my first disk... and that completed the transformation. It should be nobody else's business how people deal with their medical injuries... outside the doctors and the patients. But you have government, insurance company, and pharmacy people all getting their own little power trips in between the only two parties who should be concerned with it. If the government is properly regulating medical providers and pharmacies, then the rest should take care of itself. But it's a cluster... which is what you get when government is ANYWHERE in the middle. There are certain people that it would make me grin to get to see them experience the frustration of the fucked-up system that they've created. That would be karma. The pendulum of regulation used to be on the side of big pharma, now it's on the side of big government. Doctors and patients get bent-over as a result.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
People like him don't get it... until/unless some life karma comes along to bitch slap him into another perspective. It's human nature really. I used to be a 100% hardcore tee-totaler on drugs, alcohol, weed, etc. I got in a pretty heated argument with a coworker about medical MJ when it came to our town. He was for it. I was rabidly against it. Mostly because the tye-dyed t-shirt wearing idiots advocating for it were their own worst enemies. I eventually started to hear stories of cancer patients, etc who'd received some relief from it... which made me think "who the hell am I, to tell THEM how they should be able to treat their pain and misery???"

And then I herniated my first disk... and that completed the transformation. It should be nobody else's business how people deal with their medical injuries... outside the doctors and the patients. But you have government, insurance company, and pharmacy people all getting their own little power trips in between the only two parties who should be concerned with it. If the government is properly regulating medical providers and pharmacies, then the rest should take care of itself. But it's a cluster... which is what you get when government is ANYWHERE in the middle. There are certain people that it would make me grin to get to see them experience the frustration of the fucked-up system that they've created. That would be karma. The pendulum of regulation used to be on the side of big pharma, now it's on the side of big government. Doctors and patients get bent-over as a result.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are not in pain.

Same happened to me, used to laugh at people who said they had migraines until I got one and thought about putting my head in a microwave and turning it on.  Stones in the common bile duct sealed the deal.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Same happened to me, used to laugh at people who said they had migraines until I got one and thought about putting my head in a microwave and turning it on.  Stones in the common bile duct sealed the deal.
View Quote
I don't think I've ever had a real migraine... but I've suffered severe tension headaches for the past seven years. We didn't find out that they were being caused by the crushed C6 disk until a little over a year ago. I had that disk replaced last November. I still have a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders, but I keep most of the headaches at bay by doing my PT routine. I used to be semi-incapacitated for up to a couple of weeks a month by those. Now at least I'm just back to my hardcore, nearly decade-long sciatica (two lumbar surgeries have failed to fix that issue... I'm probably screwed). I'll happily take whatever progress I can get!
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I've looked under chairs. I've looked under tables. I've tried to find the key to 50 million fables.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
My wife had a horrible inner ear infection several years ago which ruptured her ear drum. Her face was swollen up like a cabbage patch kid. She told them she didn't want pain meds just an antibiotic to make the swelling go down, and they still kept asking her and eluding to if she was just seeking drugs.

Do you see her fucking head?!?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top