Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#1]
How exactly are people cooking eggs where they need to think about smoke points and burning butter?

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How exactly are people cooking eggs where they need to think about smoke points and burning butter?

View Quote

jUsT lIkE mOm MaDe

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ghee.
View Quote

Ok you red neck hippy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used olive oil an avocado oil, both are great.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#5]
My grandmother used bacon grease or lard out of a can on everything.
Killed her at 102 years-old. Still had a good mind!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I don’t know, let me go and ask the wife.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Cook bacon

Drain excess grease (or not)

Cook eggs

This is how Americans cook breakfast.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Exactly what makes it healthier than butter?
View Quote

Cuz’ it comes from olives and olives contain fairy dust and unicorn farts, duh.

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Butter or bacon fat for the win.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We also used to die a lot earlier without those men in white coats, lol.

That said, heart disease is still the number one killer in the US with nearly 600,000 deaths per year.
View Quote

Yeah rhinoceros, mountain lions, and exposure killed a whole bunch of us. Not heart attacks.

Heart disease  is up since rape seed oil, not down. Look it up

ETA: one of the biggest areas average life span has increased is infant mortality. ( well if you don’t include abortions) babies are saved by the tens of thousands by the icu and emergency c section etc that might other wise have perished adding another zero to the average.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#12]
WTF?

I cook them in a pan.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Bacon grease is the way.

Butter if I don't have that.

Olive oil has a flavor to it that I don't associate with or want with eggs, but if it makes you happy OP, then go ahead.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
yeah i'm sticking with butter or bacon grease.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I prefer a mix of butter and Avocado oil.      
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I cook ours in olive oil already.  It’s all I use.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Rancid olive oil from untrustworthy sources who knows what's in it where it came from or what else it was blended with.
I know where my butter comes from...pretty much...
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Butter and Bacon grease are good for you.  

Dead doctors do not lie ....anymore.  Most die young because they believed their own bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Have to go with this.  Fried is easier, though.  Especially if you're doing bacon and taters, as well!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poached is far superior to fried

Have to go with this.  Fried is easier, though.  Especially if you're doing bacon and taters, as well!
Not sure if ya'll are serious or not, but I do like Poached Eggs..  My wife hates them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Butter flavor is about the best part.  Some folks make cookies with olvie oil too - blech.  I also hate olive oil mashed potatoes.  Use grape seed oil and throw a pat of butter in near the end for a much better experience.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#21]
For high temp frying, I use Avocado oil. For medium to low cooking, I use olive oil, with certain exceptions. Eggs especially, I use a small amount of butter. Once the bottom starts to turn white I add a tablespoon of water and cover for about 3 minutes. Eggs come out tender perfect with a touch of butter flavor. None of that crunchy crap.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ghee.
View Quote

This. Healthy and a higher smoke point than butter.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Much healthier than butter and taste great.
View Quote

Bullshit. There is nothing remotely unhealthy about butter.  That said I do love olive oil as well
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Lard is best.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I cook my eggs in bacon grease, like an American.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Bacon grease FTW.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Irish butter salted and bacon grease - only way.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I cook my eggs in bacon grease, after I cook my bacon. LIKE A FUCKING MAN.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Bacon grease for the win...
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Over easy with nothing but a good teflon skillet.

Butter?grease? Oil? GTFOH
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Every time I've tried bacon grease, and I mean EVERY time, my eggs stick as bad as olive oil.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Any alleged American who does not scramble eggs in bacon grease is a filthy communist traitor.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#34]
I stay away from most saturated fats.  Yea, that’s right, I haven’t drank the keto koolaid. Olive oil is great for low temp cooking, it has no cholesterol. You don’t need cholesterol, your liver makes it.

It’s amazing the amount of health issues related threads posted here, along with braggadocious threads with steaks/fats/knives/gun pics. Most doctors will tell you that keto/high saturated fat diets can shed pounds and drop sugar, but your robbing Peter to pay Paul with your health. You can do all that without keto. Vegan diet is probably not the answer either. Somewhere in the middle is always the solution. Here’s another bomb, your body is better at using carbs than fat…..
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I stay away from most saturated fats.  Yea, that’s right, I haven’t drank the keto koolaid. Olive oil is great for low temp cooking, it has no cholesterol. You don’t need cholesterol, your liver makes it.

It’s amazing the amount of health issues related threads posted here, along with braggadocious threads with steaks/fats/knives/gun pics. Most doctors will tell you that keto/high saturated fat diets can shed pounds and drop sugar, but your robbing Peter to pay Paul with your health. You can do all that without keto. Vegan diet is probably not the answer either. Somewhere in the middle is always the solution. Here’s another bomb, your body is better at using carbs than fat…..
View Quote

I personal results differ. Carbs have to be processed far more than fat. Fat is converted straight into ketones. Carbs are converted into sugars and then into fat and then into ketones. The process of insulin vehicles carrying sugar to receptors is what causes damage to the coronary system in some people.
The doctors that say fat is bad are bad doctors.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’ve been using olive oil for years.  I will only use bacon grease if I’m FRYING my eggs.  I prefer scrambled with kale and onion and poached though.  I never got on the butter or bacon grease kick for that reason.  To each their own…
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I personal results differ. Carbs have to be processed far more than fat. Fat is converted straight into ketones. Carbs are converted into sugars and then into fat and then into ketones. The process of insulin vehicles carrying sugar to receptors is what causes damage to the coronary system in some people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You make insulin for a reason.
Complex carbs like oats, grains, and fruits. I absolutely stay away from refined/added sugar. That’s one we can all agree on, as well as white enriched flour. Baaad stuff.

Big tip. Eat for the day. Want to lay around on the couch? Eat for it. Want to hand dig a groundwork in a slab. Eat for it. Eat for the day.

But don’t drink the keto koolaid just because your a do little fat body person that want to be thin.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Complex carbs like oats, grains, and fruits.

Big tip. Eat for the day. Want to lay around on the couch? Eat for it. Want to hand dig a groundwork in a slab. Eat for it. Eat for the day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Complex carbs like oats, grains, and fruits.

I have far more energy eating low carb high fat. Carbs make me sleepy and feeling beat down. Carbs drive up my cholesterol and triglycerides. My doctor still can't understand why my blood work looks so much better. I tell her why but the brainwashing that the sugar industry did decades ago is ingrained in their minds.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#39]
heating olive oil up to frying temps chemically changes the oil and it becomes a cause of inflammation

butter fat is much healthier.

so is avocado oil especially for frying
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
heating olive oil up to frying temps chemically changes the oil and it becomes a cause of inflammation

butter fat is much healthier.

so is avocado oil especially for frying
View Quote

Frying in general is bad. I don’t eat fried food except the occasional chic filet.

And avocado trumps olives in every way. Olives are a little high in omega 6 but way healthier for sautéing than butter or lard imo. I eat an avocado and an egg almost every morning as well as a bowl of steel cut.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Basically. The other way to look at it is that they're both basically 100% fat. One is solid at room temp, the other is liquid. I'd rather have the liquid inside me, but butter tastes better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saturated vs unsaturated fats. Butter, on average, contains three time the saturated fat of olive oil.

Basically. The other way to look at it is that they're both basically 100% fat. One is solid at room temp, the other is liquid. I'd rather have the liquid inside me, but butter tastes better.
Generally it doesn't turn solid inside you.  Ever hold a pat of butter in your hand?  Your insides are warm, and your digestive system manufactures lots of nasty stuff that breaks down fats of all kinds anyway.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I stay away from most saturated fats.  Yea, that's right, I haven't drank the keto koolaid. Olive oil is great for low temp cooking, it has no cholesterol. You don't need cholesterol, your liver makes it.

It's amazing the amount of health issues related threads posted here, along with braggadocious threads with steaks/fats/knives/gun pics. Most doctors will tell you that keto/high saturated fat diets can shed pounds and drop sugar, but your robbing Peter to pay Paul with your health. You can do all that without keto. Vegan diet is probably not the answer either. Somewhere in the middle is always the solution. Here's another bomb, your body is better at using carbs than fat..
View Quote

The 1970's called.  They want their food pyramid back.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do a hard fry on one side for about a minute. Kill the heat, flip and let it sit for about 30 seconds. Place on burger.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah rhinoceros, mountain lions, and exposure killed a whole bunch of us. Not heart attacks.

Heart disease  is up since rape seed oil, not down. Look it up

ETA: one of the biggest areas average life span has increased is infant mortality. ( well if you don’t include abortions) babies are saved by the tens of thousands by the icu and emergency c section etc that might other wise have perished adding another zero to the average.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I stay away from most saturated fats.  Yea, that's right, I haven't drank the keto koolaid. Olive oil is great for low temp cooking, it has no cholesterol. You don't need cholesterol, your liver makes it.

It's amazing the amount of health issues related threads posted here, along with braggadocious threads with steaks/fats/knives/gun pics. Most doctors will tell you that keto/high saturated fat diets can shed pounds and drop sugar, but your robbing Peter to pay Paul with your health. You can do all that without keto. Vegan diet is probably not the answer either. Somewhere in the middle is always the solution. Here's another bomb, your body is better at using carbs than fat..

Nobody new what a food pyramid was back then. We just lived off of fast food and hungry man.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#46]
I use the grease from the sausage I just cooked, same pan and too
I used sausage this time, bacon is also good.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Nobody new what a food pyramid was back then. We just lived off of fast food and hungry man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, we didn't.  Food pyramid has been around since the 70's and has been taught in schools in the US since the 80's at least.  Enter the low fat and fat free craze where people were eating all kinds of nasty crap because it "doesn't contain saturated fat".

I don't know how you grew up, but fast food was a special treat when I was a kid.  We pretty much ate normal whole foods, including eggs, which were also considered "bad" at the time.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#48]
I use olive oil as a release agent when cooking eggs, then toss in a bit O' butta for flavor.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Bacon grease or coconut oil.

Mostly use the coconut oil for my dad.
Do it to help his brain.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Hahaha that’s the funniest thing I’ve read today so far. OP your health info is based in the 1950’s. I will say it has a good taste, but not better than butter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Much healthier than butter and taste great.

Hahaha that’s the funniest thing I’ve read today so far. OP your health info is based in the 1950’s. I will say it has a good taste, but not better than butter.
Indeed.    The anti-butter recommendations were based on extremely sloppy assumptions.     Even going back to the 1950's data, if analyzed properly, there is no indication that butter is unhealthy.

Instead, check how healthy things like hydrogenated palm oil and canola oil are considered these days, yet they were being recommended for years as a healthy alternative to butter and bacon fat.

Sometimes, some careless doctor or scientist makes a reckless assumption, and then the whole industry just parrots the statement without ever checking the data.   It can go on for years.    The world of science isn't always perfect.

Still, I think olive oil is considered one of the healthier vegetable oils.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top