Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/30/2019 1:52:03 PM EDT
Do you have ex-convicts where you work? Are they more likely to cause trouble? Liability to the company?

Nearby company is having such a hard time finding workers for the 3rd shift that they are overlooking applicant's criminal backgrounds, to include homicide/manslaughter. They are also (illegally) telling applicants to "study" for the drug screen that will happen in two weeks...
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Lol, yes. Fortune 500 company, Golden Corral.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately there’s a lot of pedofiles just look up your works zip code on the Meghan’s law website and you’ll be shocked like i was.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Well current and ex I suppose ( state correctional facility)
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly you may be very pleasantly surprised with the work ethics of cons who pulled a 15-20 bid for murder. They are some of the easiest to work with.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#6]
We have a few, I'm sure, but my company will not hire felons.

And a few years ago, one of our employees killed his wife. He is in jail now.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#7]
During turnarounds we have contractors that use ex cons.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL, we have had current convicts that are let out on work release for their shift.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:They are also (illegally) telling applicants to "study" for the drug screen that will happen in two weeks...
View Quote
Is it illegal to inform an employee of the drug testing policy?  Or illegal to wait 2 weeks after applying to test them?  I don't get it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#10]
No ex-convicts, just current ones.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#11]
They will steal your thermometers, dog's meds and drink all the coffee.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#12]
We stopped hiring ex-cons after one tried to rape one of our high school summer help.

The summer help kid was good help that had worked for two years, but he never came back.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it illegal to inform an employee of the drug testing policy?  Or illegal to wait 2 weeks after applying to test them?  I don't get it.
View Quote
Illegal to tell them they will be drug tested in two weeks, and saying they need to "Study", implying they have two weeks to get clean or figure out a way to pass the piss test (cheat). Meaning, the manager does not care how they pass the drug screen as long as they do.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#14]
One but for his ‘crime’ I’d buy him a beer.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Not a chance. Background checks, secure facility with card readers, security.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Nope, but I have hired a few in the past at my previous job.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Some of my drivers and crew are felons.

Great workers too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#18]
No, but I deal with ex-cons every day.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#19]
no felons.

Some misdemeanors ok, but not felons.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#20]
With security clearances?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#21]
None where I work.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm sure those that knowingly hire illegals will never   admit hiring felons...
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Working for the same company as I do - No.  They won't hire you if you have a misdemeanor.

The contractors on the oil/gas projects I provide environmental oversight for - hell yes.  Especially the laborers.  Hell we had on laborer and his bother that had just gotten hired kill another laborer after work one day by beating him to death with baseball bats.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lol, yes. Fortune 500 company, Golden Corral.
View Quote
Lolz=, and avatar checks out
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Working for the same company as I do - No.  They won't hire you if you have a misdemeanor.

The contractors on the oil/gas projects I provide environmental oversight for - hell yes.  Especially the laborers.  Hell we had on laborer and his bother that had just gotten hired kill another laborer after work one day by beating him to death with baseball bats.
View Quote
Did they get a formal reprimand placed in their file for that?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I worked steel fabrication all of my adult life and yes there were always criminals wherever I worked. The last place I worked, one of my friends spent 4.5 years in prison for felonious assault but the offence took place when he was 18 years old. He got his shit together and got his gun rights back last year. He petitioned the state and won his rights back. The first thing he did was to buy a lower and parts kit locally and bought an upper from PSA. I helped him put his AR together. I trust him. What he did in the past, he paid for and came out of it a better person. Not everyone who has spent time in prison is a hardened criminal. Most everyone deserves a second chance except rapists, molesters and murderers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes.

People do need a second chance.

Mistakes people made when they were young.

Interview the person and find out for yourself.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#28]
We have inmates currently serving time who work here on work release. I wouldn't trust them with a dead cat.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#29]
We’ve about hired every one in the state at some point.  We used to say “if you HAVE a drivers license and DO NOT have a record you can’t work here”.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes.  One was even arrested for shooting at the police.  My biggest question was, "How the fuck are you alive?"  Police in Albuquerque take no shit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes.  We have a special intern program for men with problems getting a job due to being ex-cons, or terrible employment records, or being homeless.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Probably.

One of my office managers used to print the arrest notices of patients coming to the office—I asked her to stop because I couldn’t look some pedophile in the eye without knowing I despise him.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are doing time in the state pen for that issue.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I didn't know we had a felon working with us for years until he told me on day during lunch.  Assault, iirc.  Blew me away, because he is our most tenacious worker, as well as a pretty stand-up dude.

I'm sure this is the exception to the rule, but from my sample size of one I learned people can learn from their mistakes and become a good person for it.

In the end, we're all just one bad day away from achieving felon status.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I was surprised to find out one of my coworkers was some 20 year old felonies. Not sure what they were for, but I don't have a problem with him. He works hard but not too bright.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Illegal to tell them they will be drug tested in two weeks, and saying they need to "Study", implying they have two weeks to get clean or figure out a way to pass the piss test (cheat). Meaning, the manager does not care how they pass the drug screen as long as they do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can we get a law cite for that?  Is it in a industry that has mandated testing or something?  I haven't worked at a place that drug tested in 20 years.   I would note that in an at will state, there's pretty much no need to in most industries.  You can get better employees, at a cheaper hourly rate without testing, and presumably also by telling them about drug tests ahead of time.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd rather work with one than having one climbing through my window.

I wish more employers would take the risk of hiring felons. The thought of going back to doing dumb shit is lessened when you have a decent job and can get a place to live.

My brother got hooked on drugs and started breaking into homes to support his crack habit. Judge hooked him up with a 25 year sentence for burglary of a habitation. That was after he got high, stole a horse, and ran from the police riding bareback. He ended up doing 13 years and has been out and doing fine for over 20 years since his release.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#38]
No. But I know the guy who does the hiring
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#39]
No.  It is frowned upon.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Unfortunately there’s a lot of pedofiles just look up your works zip code on the Meghan’s law website and you’ll be shocked like i was.
View Quote
Holy shit! 569 in my area. Why do i need an account to view who they are though? Thats fishy
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#41]
100% for sure no.  We go through an extensive background investigation every year.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes.  Some of the best workers we have.

Really has been no issues.  For the most part the convicts know this is a privilege and try not to fuck it up.  Since these guys are on the tail end of their sentences having a stable job and some money in the bank is a big help to getting these guys on the path to being productive members of society.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Nope -------------------- my last helper died in March at age 12 ------------------------ I got the newest one four days later and he's a 2yr old GSD with no known record...
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Two of my 4 are felons.  They're hard headed and ornery but we get along ok.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#45]
(deleted)
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't know, but considering the number of tattoos I see, the likelihood is very high.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I suspect so. One of the departments next to the one I work in is kind of a revolving door, and that work is pretty mind-numbing and menial.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where’s the law?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#49]
1) Yes, 2) Yes, proven. 3) Yes, proven.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Not currently - here we would not.

In my state, car salesmen are not licensed. In the past, I have hired felons to sell cars, and worked in dealerships where the majority of salesmen had convictions. It wasn't even worth commenting on. We were only concerned with fraud and theft as a disqualifier.

Nothing like having US Marshals taking away your leading salesman in handcuffs....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top