Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
My company (tire shop) hires guys from the transition center/halfway house across the street on a regular basis. As a whole they are great employees and we can count on them sticking around for at least six months. They are always on time,never call in and work harder than most of the guys we get from other sources. They either show up and do their job or they go back to prison
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, this is correct...I worked 20 years in a prison and most murderers are not your worst inmates. Petty thieves, dopers, child sex offenders are by far usually worse. I often referred to it as many murderers having a REALLY bad day that garnered him a life sentence, when a thief has many thousands of bad days.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Pre cons for sure.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have personally hired felons in certain rolls based on their previous crimes and circumstances.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#5]
No, absolutely not.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a handful of ex-infantry guys...

they're just as bad.  And yes, they are a liability to the company

Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
A few junkies... a lot of drunks... one in particular has wet brain...  at least one who is straight up psychotic,  but on meds....another suicidal and a cutter... one with traumatic brain injury...

Eta: a couple with active warrants and and one who has a history of assaulting police...  only misdemeanor convictions though...
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#8]
My best work friend in years was a felon at my last job. I was security, he was an electrician. We had lots of long, good conversations about everything from politics to religion.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Holy shit! 569 in my area. Why do i need an account to view who they are though? Thats fishy
View Quote
So they don't end up with a Megan's list killer.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I share a fence with a city office, they were allowing people who had committed petty crimes to work in the park picking up trash and brush and sweeping and what not. They were getting broke into all the time with people stealing power equipment.

Think about it, what a gig, go in for a couple of days, stand around and half- ass some work, take a look around and see where stuff is stored. Disable a sensor on a door alarm. Come back later that night.

I think I'd rather hire a guy who murdered one guy 30 years ago or involuntary manslaughter or something like that than some guy who is a drug addict and a thief.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
That seems like a positive..
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes.

People do need a second chance.

Mistakes people made when they were young.

Interview the person and find out for yourself.
View Quote
Is there a concern for liability if you hire a felon who later commits a crime involving your business?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit! 569 in my area. Why do i need an account to view who they are though? Thats fishy
I dont see the problem.  Just wondering if some were neighbors or what not.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuck, most of the night staff was on P/P. Massive problems when 'the house' went on lockdown or somebody 'failed' a drug screen; last minute call-ins/no shows.

EDIT: drug convictions, theft, personal property damage/assaults, recidivist-career criminals trying to make an honest buck for pay rent, gas, car repairs, utilities, keep the kids clothed & fed & in school when it was their week to baby-sit. Not mean criminals, just impulsive poor decision makers.

When the were there, they worked well and got shit done.

They responded well to positive reinforcement; seeing their individual task performance stats after every shift and making sure they had plenty of food to eat overnight and making sure their replacements were there on time so they could go home or where ever they had to go.

Most of them had drug problems; either in the past or in the present. Drug dealing at work is a thing.

I personally disliked managing convicts. Too many legal entanglements, too many drug problems. Not a stable work force, too much personal drama.

I no longer work there nor will I ever go into that situation ever again.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Can we get a law cite for that?  Is it in a industry that has mandated testing or something?  I haven't worked at a place that drug tested in 20 years.   I would note that in an at will state, there's pretty much no need to in most industries.  You can get better employees, at a cheaper hourly rate without testing, and presumably also by telling them about drug tests ahead of time.
View Quote
Out of the mouth of the facility manager that it is against the law. He is under so much pressure to staff his facility he either feels forced to turn a blind eye or has no problem with it. At any rate, his attitude about it is pretty willful.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Usually 5-10 depending on how backed up the parole office is.

Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes and yes. Ones on work release tend to show up on time every day.
The others are generally unreliable (call-ins, late, low production), huge whiners, and full of drama. Some are OK.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Probably. Our company stopped doing background checks a few months ago in an effort to fill assembly positions.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I work in a 4 man crew daily. The same 4 guys. Me and 3 felons. One got nabbed for selling crack, the other two, 2nd conviction DUIs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, in fact the running joke was that our "C" Shift stood for "Convict".
Us doing work for USGPO/SocSec has significantly reduced the numbers, since most employees (anyone that would have access) must pass the background screening.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes in our customer service, non violent offenders and the company gets some sorts of tax breaks etc.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#22]
As if.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not a chance. Background checks, secure facility with card readers, security.
View Quote
We have all that... plus ex-cons as long as their last felony is more than seven years old.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Nope, prohibited by federal regulations (19CFR) from hiring anyone with a felony. We're a customs broker.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#25]
At least you can count on the work release guys showing up every day, till they drink a beer in the van on the way back to jail.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Now?  Nope, required background and drug checks, my company and the client both have DOD contracts, there's even DOD equipment in the data center.  When I worked construction over the summers in high school and college?  Definitely.  Got to be friends with one guy who described it as being young, stupid, and impulsive, he was trying to straighten his life out and was a good worker.  Of course, he did have to catch a ride to work from my grandfather and I (lived on the same main road, so we drove past his place on the way in) after he got in an argument with his girlfriend and went out and ripped all the spark plug wires out of the car, so obviously impulsiveness was still a work in progress :-)  But he tried to warn me about the games common among cons and things to watch out for.  He's NOT the one the FBI showed up looking for based on a murder warrant :-) (that guy was long gone after getting caught doped up on muscle relaxers and beer that he took on his lunch break and calling in sick, he was at the corner 7/11 where the boss stopped to pick up a Big Gulp on the way back from a parts run).
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#27]
A better question would be: "Do you have anyone at work with MS13 gang tattoos on their face?"

We did.  I have not seen him around since a couple of construction projects ago.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Former co-worker did some time for an attempted murder, he was one of the best workers there.

Apparently after so many years it doesn't show up on a background check.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Ha... no...
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Nope
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Did they get a formal reprimand placed in their file for that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Working for the same company as I do - No.  They won't hire you if you have a misdemeanor.

The contractors on the oil/gas projects I provide environmental oversight for - hell yes.  Especially the laborers.  Hell we had on laborer and his bother that had just gotten hired kill another laborer after work one day by beating him to death with baseball bats.
Did they get a formal reprimand placed in their file for that?
When I first hired on with my current employer in 2008, the employee handbook specifically forbid committing murder or the possession of machine guns on company property.

I never got to hear the backstory, I'm sure there's one there, but the company is headquartered in CA and been in business since 1975 so who knows, but both of those were punishable by immediate dismissal. It was removed from the handbook sometime between '08 and 2016 when I tried to find it again.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Not that I'm aware of.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I have hired two guys  that were on parole, had to fire both.
Neither worked out longer than a couple of months, they had trouble with authority.
Both came back after a few months wanting their job back.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Place I used to work is one of the few places around that will hire felons.
Quite a few there.
The felons tended to be better people than the managers.
The plant manager was a nutter.

One day the sheriff car pulled up and 4 guys in another department hit the fence.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Can’t.

We require a hazmat CDL for most jobs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Not a chance. Background checks, secure facility with card readers, security.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I work in construction, had a guy fall of 2017 try to use his prison ID as his only form of ID with his I-9
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Lol, no.

Wouldn't hire a felon.

Or anyone with a previous dui/dwi
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I used to be a carpenter foreman.  The first thing I asked new guys was if they were on parole, my reason was that if they were they would need to take time off for PO visits.  A lot of them were.  I worked with a lot of felons, a few were convicted of attempted manslaughter.  As long as you worked hard all day I didn't care.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#40]
None as coworkers, PLENTY of them as patients.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes, difficult finding workers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Is there a concern for liability if you hire a felon who later commits a crime involving your business?
View Quote
Thats is a concern with every employee.

I would like to think that ex-cons know better and wont commit a crime.

I tell my guys, what happened yesterday doesnt matter as much as what you do today and tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Do you have ex-convicts where you work? Are they more likely to cause trouble? Liability to the company?

Nearby company is having such a hard time finding workers for the 3rd shift that they are overlooking applicant's criminal backgrounds, to include homicide/manslaughter. They are also (illegally) telling applicants to "study" for the drug screen that will happen in two weeks...
View Quote
Yes they’re in and out everyday. But my situation is special.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I hired one, unknowingly. Wouldn't have hired him if I knew. Drug charges in Puerto Rico, did a few years.

Been with us for almost 3 years now.

Good guy, consider him a friend at this point. He appreciates the chance I gave him too.

Worked out really well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#45]
The company in general performs drug and background checks, but with the size and the age of the company, I am sure a few reformed folks have made their way in.  In my division, it would be incredibly unlikely, as we get recurring background checks, credit checks, and random drug tests.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#46]
The Company I worked for hired felons.   I never knew of any trouble caused by the felons.  One of my best friends at work was a felon.   He was murdered one night for pissing off the wrong guy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Ex cons can't get CPA and law license.  So no.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thats is a concern with every employee.

I would like to think that ex-cons know better and wont commit a crime.

I tell my guys, what happened yesterday doesnt matter as much as what you do today and tomorrow.
View Quote
I think that, if you knowingly hire someone with a criminal history, and they cause a problem, there is potential liability that does not exist otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I worked steel fabrication all of my adult life and yes there were always criminals wherever I worked. The last place I worked, one of my friends spent 4.5 years in prison for felonious assault but the offence took place when he was 18 years old. He got his shit together and got his gun rights back last year. He petitioned the state and won his rights back. The first thing he did was to buy a lower and parts kit locally and bought an upper from PSA. I helped him put his AR together. I trust him. What he did in the past, he paid for and came out of it a better person. Not everyone who has spent time in prison is a hardened criminal. Most everyone deserves a second chance except rapists, molesters and murderers.

I worked in Steel Fabrication for a stint in NW Texas. The fab shop had several ex cons, one for drugs, one for assault and one for armed robbery. I learned a valuable lesson in life. Those guys worked really hard and were treated like shit and considered disposable garbage. They had my back when I needed it the most were respectful and decent and I was honored to work with them. They deserved better and where ever they are I hope they found an abundance in grace.
On the other hand:
The middle management was filled with back stabbing scum who considered themselves superior because of their education and would fuck you in the ass to make themselves look better to the owners when ever possible. One of the owners was a Narcissistic sociopath Immigrant bully and the other was a cokehead drunk that was running the company in the ground. Both were soulless assholes that were very culpable in almost destroying my life as well as others in a bad economy. They just did not give to shits and a fuck about their decisions regarding other people.
The lesson? In my opinion the Ex Con's despite their past were better people than those that sought so highly of themselves. To this day I still despise those assholes with every bit of my being. In my opinion, even though middle management and the owners never to my knowledge committed  a crime I consider them one step up from scum of the earth.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#50]
No. They would not pass the background checks.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top