Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I figure I'd have my stuff packed already, hit the button, then make straight for Idaho.
View Quote

We’re full.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm having a hard time deciding which part of your post is more incorrect.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chinese invasion in 3....2....1....

Anybody who chose yes has no understanding of what power vacuums ALWAYS bring.

In case you were wondering the answer is anarchy and death.

The individual states have no ability to organize for the national defense - and that is the very reason there was ever a federal union in the first place.
I'm having a hard time deciding which part of your post is more incorrect.

Please enlighten me.

I would like to know the reasoning behind The Continental Congress, and later The Articles of Confederation.

Maybe we can discuss The War of 1812 and the reason the British thought they could win.

ETA - Fuck I'm tired. Edited for clarity.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Oddly enough, defense agreements led to WW1 and the punishment(lets call it what it was, reprisal) under the authority of a mutual agreement by mulitple states, led in large part to Germany kicking off WW2.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem with pushing the button is that the people/countries who would really LOVE for you to do it are:  China, Russia and the EU.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to do something that those people would REALLY want you to do.  
What if my button did an equivalent break up to them?  Toss in Canada, India, Brazil, and Mexico for good measure.

ETA:  I'm sure an alliance of like minded states would have some free trade and mutual defence treaties in place quite quickly.

"free trade and mutual defence treaties in place quite quickly"

again

Yeah because no other countries have free trade or defense agreements lol

Oddly enough, defense agreements led to WW1 and the punishment(lets call it what it was, reprisal) under the authority of a mutual agreement by mulitple states, led in large part to Germany kicking off WW2.

Yes, there are some high profile cases of it not working. Are there cases of it working though? (remember, when it works it either means a country was successfully defended, or it didn't need to be because of the deterrent).
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#4]
View All Quotes

While I agree that the idea of Texas Separating from the USA and reverting back to a Republic sounds appealing, especially with all of these d@mn liberal states ruining the USA. If all of the 50 states separated and became individual countries and the US military vanishes (together with all of it's personnel, equipment, and weapons) the North American continent would become easy pickings for Russia, China, Iran, North Korea, and any other full sized country to invade and occupy the entire North American continent in short order. And they would deserve to be invaded, conquered, subjugated, and turned into communist satellites for such abject stupidity in the first place. With Iran's hate of the US, they could invade and conquer one state/country at a time and execute every swinging dumb@$$ that thought it was a good idea to become a weak, tiny country state.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just looking at peoples' replies: Button pushers are red staters, and non-pushers are from blue or blue-leaning states.

Fuck off, blue states. You drag the rest of us down with you, and we're about tired of your shit.
View Quote

(internet fist bump)
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Ohio.  Dewine.  DO NOT PUSH.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We’re full.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figure I'd have my stuff packed already, hit the button, then make straight for Idaho.

We’re full.

You really want to turn away a red voter with an arsenal? Really?

Too bad, I'm coming anyway to help keep Idaho red, even if rude asses keep trying to keep me out. I'm pretty there there's some people there with some brain cells that will welcome me.

See you in a few years.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#8]
If there is a chance I can be dictator of mine I am all in and would pound that button like I would pound Emily Ratajkowski liberal ass if she would just give it up.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#9]
What color is the button?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I mean this is all hypothetical anyway. Why wouldn't they though?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perhaps I’d remember that this country has powerful and malignant external enemies and I wouldn’t push the button.

Yeah, but it sure seems like our biggest threat comes from within and this would strip their power immediately. Let the liberal states wallow in their filth. If China attempts to invade I'm sure the states can create some kind of mutual defense treaty.

"I'm sure the states can create some kind of mutual defense treaty."

If they're too stupid to remain united as the World's greatest superpower, and degenerate into 50 individual, weakened, pathetic, tiny country/states, then why would they create and agree on any treaty? That makes no sense. Plus, as long as it would take to get all of the concurrences in the event that one state/country was attacked by a real country, that pathetic tiny country would be wiped off the face of the map. Deservedly so.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If they're too stupid to remain united as the World's greatest superpower, and degenerate into 50 individual, weakened, pathetic, tiny country/states, then why would they create and agree on any treaty? That makes no sense. Plus, as long as it would take to get all of the concurrences in the event that one state/country was attacked by a real country, that pathetic tiny country would be wiped off the face of the map. Deservedly so.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perhaps I’d remember that this country has powerful and malignant external enemies and I wouldn’t push the button.

Yeah, but it sure seems like our biggest threat comes from within and this would strip their power immediately. Let the liberal states wallow in their filth. If China attempts to invade I'm sure the states can create some kind of mutual defense treaty.

You realize the pathetic tiny states in many cases are much larger than European countries...who...are all in trading, border, and defense treaties right?

You seem really angry about this hypothetical thought experiment that is never going to happen.

There's absolutely no reason a significant amount of states couldn't enter into a defense treaty- honestly this would be the replacement of the weak fed whose only real purpose is defense anyway right?

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]
"You find a magic button.  The button does one thing: instantly gets rid of the federal government...."

I got that far and pushed it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The question isn't about the mil.  I had to add that because I knew if I didn't that's the only thing the thread would be about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As soon as the US military stands down your life will change in significant ways that you clearly never saw coming.

The question isn't about the mil.  I had to add that because I knew if I didn't that's the only thing the thread would be about.

The US military is part of the federal government. If you push your dumb@$$ button and the entire federal government vanished, then so would All of the US military and all of their personnel, equipment, and weaponry. All that would be left would be National Guard and their small armories. No US military bases, no US ICBM's or regular missile batteries or ships or submarines. Heck, even the US Coast Guard is part of ,the federal government, the DHS. So no Navy and no Coast Guard, which means no ships other than civilian owned, unarmed cruise liners for your state/country's new Navy. My, how gay. Your Navy could shoot party streamers at an enemy battleship.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#14]
This is not the "button" I look for to push, well smash.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The US military is part of the federal government. If you push your dumb@$$ button and the entire federal government vanished, then so would All of the US military and all of their personnel, equipment, and weaponry. All that would be left would be National Guard and their small armories. No US military bases, no US ICBM's or regular missile batteries or ships or submarines. Heck, even the US Coast Guard is part of ,the federal government, the DHS. So no Navy and no Coast Guard, which means no ships other than civilian owned, unarmed cruise liners for your state/country's new Navy. My, how gay. Your Navy could shoot party streamers at an enemy battleship.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As soon as the US military stands down your life will change in significant ways that you clearly never saw coming.

Read the scenario in the OP dude. This is all make believe- hell even in the real world that equipment doesn't just disappear.

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You realize the pathetic tiny states in many cases are much larger than European countries...who...are all in trading, border, and defense treaties right?

You seem really angry about this hypothetical thought experiment that is never going to happen.

https://external-preview.redd.it/BRxZAKyajO5-ZbfDIZgXQ3HrxQ0mSiak7j7f2C8NPxA.jpg?auto=webp&s=7e55d2290b10eecd8aa034c5ac919564aaecd0e9

There's absolutely no reason a significant amount of states couldn't enter into a defense treaty- honestly this would be the replacement of the weak fed whose only real purpose is defense anyway right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://external-preview.redd.it/BRxZAKyajO5-ZbfDIZgXQ3HrxQ0mSiak7j7f2C8NPxA.jpg?auto=webp&s=7e55d2290b10eecd8aa034c5ac919564aaecd0e9

Where's the comparison with Russia, China,  Iran, North Korea, Turkey, Somalia, Sudan, Yemen, and other countries that would gleefully attack the individual, tiny country/states left over if the USA was to dissolve?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Absolutely.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If there is a chance I can be dictator of mine I am all in and would pound that button like I would pound Emily Ratajkowski liberal ass if she would just give it up.
View Quote

No problem. You can have D.C., as it would obviously become it's own country if the USA dissolved. Maybe you can say #Eleanor Holmes Norton (that's a pound sign) as your main squeeze?  
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can I move to a different state first?
View Quote

I still might push it if I have to stay in NJ but I'd defect to a free country/state ASAP.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Where's the comparison with Russia, China,  Iran, North Korea, Turkey, Somalia, Sudan, Yemen, and other countries that would gleefully attack the individual, tiny country/states left over if the USA was to dissolve?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're missing the point, and in fact, the very fact that Russia has only fucked with Georgia and Ukraine in recent history kind of suggests I might in fact be right.

Lol at that list of countries. China might try something. Russia can barely project power to Syria. NK, Turkey, Somolia, Sudan and Yemen? L O FUCKING L.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Can't we just snap out fingers and get rid of half of the federal government first, just to see how things work out?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Get rid of the federal government, and THEN the states have to figure out their own replacement?  Yeah, no.  Also, 50 different state militaries is not workable.  

I'm all for smaller fed, but no.  This would be a terrible idea.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Texas=Yes
View Quote

Yeah this wasn't even a question for me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I jump up and down on the button...
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I don’t think I’m ready for the US to be fully Balkanized if it were up to me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#27]
you had me at the first line.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes, there are some high profile cases of it not working. Are there cases of it working though? (remember, when it works it either means a country was successfully defended, or it didn't need to be because of the deterrent).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem with pushing the button is that the people/countries who would really LOVE for you to do it are:  China, Russia and the EU.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to do something that those people would REALLY want you to do.  
What if my button did an equivalent break up to them?  Toss in Canada, India, Brazil, and Mexico for good measure.

ETA:  I'm sure an alliance of like minded states would have some free trade and mutual defence treaties in place quite quickly.

"free trade and mutual defence treaties in place quite quickly"

again

Yeah because no other countries have free trade or defense agreements lol

Of course there are times when it has worked.  What also works, with generally better conditions for the citizens and for longer, is having the biggest club on the planet, with the word "Empire" embossed on it. Literally or figuratively.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You realize that Europe is enjoying it's longest stretch of peace in, likely the last 1500 years right?

ETA: If you think that was all the Founders wanted the fed for, I don't know man. We are gulfs apart in what we have read about their intentions.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don’t think I’m ready for the US to be fully Balkanized if it were up to me.
View Quote

Got news for you, it already is.  Ever noticed how free states aren't very welcoming of people from your state?

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#31]
So no states absorbing other states?

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So no states absorbing other states?

View Quote

I see no rules against going to war based on lines on a map.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You realize that Europe is enjoying it's longest stretch of peace in, likely the last 1500 years right?

ETA: If you think that was all the Founders wanted the fed for, I don't know man. We are gulfs apart in what we have read about their intentions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sure do realize that. Not sure how you think that proves your point though.

I'm not TRULY arguing that this is a good idea. I'm pointing out how a few of you are making strange arguments about state sizes and how you're apparently saying that a peaceful Europe works there with many countries, but couldn't work here.

My point about the fed isn't really about the founding father's intentions, but if you think what we have now fits that bill then I'm not sure where you're coming from on that. Don't you think they'd be disgusted with what the fed has become?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

That would come as a pretty big surprise to a shitload of Ukrainians...
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Of course I do. That is I push the button.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I don’t see a rule about remaining 50 separate countries so I pressed it.
Different regions that are closely aligned would probably work better than what we got, the Deep South states, the Mid-West, West, Far West and the North East.
As President of the Deep South my first executive order would be instant deportation of any carpet bagger that says “the way we did it up north is better”.
I changed my mind, that would be a capital offense with mandatory hanging on the first Tuesday of the month unless that day is a holiday, in which case sentence shall be carried out the following Tuesday (can’t be hanging dirtbags on Christmas Day).
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#37]
What happens to all the personnel on our overseas bases, all the subs/carriers/ships out at sea, etc?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What happens to all the personnel on our overseas bases, all the subs/carriers/ships out at sea, etc?
View Quote

They take over the host country and become states.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#40]
We've given "too much government" a shot; maybe let's try too little for a while, and then meet somewhere in between.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Better nate than lever!
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes only because I want to take part of a great Texan crusade to manifest destiny the western United States.

Also bc I don’t have enough friends to liberate California as is.

Also also I didn’t read the prompt, I just hit yes

You can’t place a button in front of me and not expect it to get pressed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Would smash
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You had me at "Do you push the button?"

I don't care what it does.  But I'm gonna find out.
View Quote

I would push it just because it's a button.

Buttons require pushing regardless of function.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The individual states have no ability to organize for the national defense - and that is the very reason there was ever a federal union in the first place.
View Quote

What a ridiculously retarded statement. Of course they have the ability; no one has removed the capacity for forming alliances.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What a ridiculously retarded statement. Of course they have the ability; no one has removed the capacity for forming alliances.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're probably right. The instantaneous collapse of the US Dollar. The near instant collapse of the defense industry. The fact that without the power of the Federal Purse, most states couldn't afford to buy any sophisticated weapons - let alone maintain or utilize them. Almost forgot, the logistics chains are scattered across the country too.

State issued monopoly money would probably be extremely valuable too. Even if it wasn't though, Hawaii could probably pay to maintain the Pacific Fleet with Kona coffee right?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I really wouldn't fuck with Wyoming, North Dakota, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico and Louisiana then...
View Quote
Whiteman AFB would make Missouri a world power.....
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Can I move to a different state first?
View Quote

This. Also, can I hold on to the button for a little bit?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

It wouldn't take long for Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Nebraska, Louisiana and the Dakotas (if they promise to march all the ELCA Lutherans to the Minnesota border at gun point) to form an alliance that China would not likely fuck with.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top