Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Army ordnance has a rich history of fucking the American soldier. This is no different. A jack of all trades master of none round. Not a big enough increase of anything on paper to warrant service wide adoption.

There will always be a contingent of people that cling to it like it’s the best thing ever, but it’s not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So? Similar statements could be made about MK318 and the Navy. (Mk318 is excellent, but it's a different animal)
Army ordnance has a rich history of fucking the American soldier. This is no different. A jack of all trades master of none round. Not a big enough increase of anything on paper to warrant service wide adoption.

There will always be a contingent of people that cling to it like it’s the best thing ever, but it’s not.
It is in every way better than all the general issue rounds that have come before.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Definitely not. @BigMan74 qualified with it recently and he's not SF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
.Gov doesn’t even allow it to be sold to other NATO countries, let alone the civilian market.  Anything that fails lot testing gets scrapped.  Both EPR rounds (M80A1 and M855A1) are that way.

For what it’s worth, the Army is still ordering WAY more M855 than A1.
is A1 only issued the SF community?
Definitely not. @BigMan74 qualified with it recently and he's not SF.
that i did
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Maybe, but it'll likely cost as much as, or more than, the SMK/TMK/BSP ammo we already have that's better in every way terminally.
View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why would you want something that needs a specially designed magazine to function in your rifle while it chews your feedramps out?

I mean, if you want it then buy it, but I don't see the big deal of having any.
View Quote
Pmag Gen 3 work perfectly with 855A1.

Eventually, once production meets Mil contract, we'll see surplus ammo for sale and civilian production runs. Further down the line, everyone and his mother will be producing 855A1, probably foreign manufacturers as well.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#5]
It’s AP based on performance not composition so it’s pretty unlikely that it will change status.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It’s AP based on performance not composition so it’s pretty unlikely that it will change status.
View Quote
Does anyone have proof that it's currently classed as AP? Based on performance sounds like a poor determining clause, otherwise several calibers should be classified as AP, they're not. So it must be based on construction of the projectile, right?
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's AP based on performance not composition so it's pretty unlikely that it will change status.
View Quote
Federal law doesn't class ammunition as AP or not based on performance.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
LoL, that's not proof. Ammunition has to meet specific specs to be considered AP. And penetration isn't one of them, otherwise a lot of FMJ bullets of high velocity calibers would be AP, they're not, because of their construction,  it doesn't meet the criteria.

Though I have no doubt there's people that don't want civilians to have it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No shit?

A hardened steel penetrator is better against barriers than a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw?

I would still pick a Mk318 as a general purpose load over M855 A1.

As to your last request about proof that it's an AP round, Enhanced Penetrating is in the name of the round, and you and everyone else won't be getting it in bulk. I can't even get Barnes 224 copper solids for reloading anymore, which were awesome for lack of pelt damage.
LoL, that's not proof. Ammunition has to meet specific specs to be considered AP. And penetration isn't one of them, otherwise a lot of FMJ bullets of high velocity calibers would be AP, they're not, because of their construction,  it doesn't meet the criteria.

Though I have no doubt there's people that don't want civilians to have it.
It's the fact that the ATF are clownshoes-wearing cockfags that have misinterpreted the law. It states that the bullet must be made completely from the listed metals, and the cartridge designed/intended to be used in a handgun, in order to be banned by the AP law. They tried to ban 855, but got their tiny peepee slapped for it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nope

.gov doesn't want peasants to have their special ammo
View Quote
Too late.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 10:40:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Does anyone have proof that it's currently classed as AP? Based on performance sounds like a poor determining clause, otherwise several calibers should be classified as AP, they're not. So it must be based on construction of the projectile, right?
View Quote
The construction of the round is truly a marvel when you realize what it does on soft target impact. The whole “green” lead free designation was to ensure that the round was approved.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Federal law doesn't class ammunition as AP or not based on performance.
View Quote
You’ve been around long enough to know that the ATF does what they want until challenged. These are the same guys that said shoestrings are machine guns.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Sure hope so. I could stand about 10,000 rounds on the shelf.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I saw M855A1 in the CG.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:59:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It is in every way better than all the general issue rounds that have come before.
View Quote
How?  I’m ignorant on the subject.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 2:05:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How?  I’m ignorant on the subject.
View Quote
Outstanding hard target penetration and very impressive terminal ballistics.  Theres a few good gel tests out there..
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 5:25:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I picked up over 900rds a few months ago, still haven't tried any out.....yet.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#17]
The Army holds patents on both the EPR and EPM, and anyone who gets a contract to manufacture either has to agree to only sell to .gov customers.

Let that sink in for a moment, keeping in mind that we're being denied the use of technology we paid to have developed in the first place.

Quoted:

Eventually, once production meets Mil contract, we'll see surplus ammo for sale and civilian production runs. Further down the line, everyone and his mother will be producing 855A1, probably foreign manufacturers as well.
View Quote
Not until 2027. That's when the patents run out. God willing, it'll still be legal by that time.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 7:22:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I saw M855A1 in the CG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw M855A1 in the CG.
That's awesome.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No. Federal should concentrate on making Mk318 their bulk 5.56 ball round
View Quote
Yes please.

I think I’ll load my rifle with Mk318 today in solidarity.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No. Federal should concentrate on making Mk318 their bulk 5.56 ball round
View Quote
This!
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
What production problem do you think exists with A1?  There isn’t one...runs on the same lines as regular old 855.  There’s no real issue in meeting delivery schedule on the round, and they don’t buy nearly the quantities of A1...currently.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Army holds patents on both the EPR and EPM, and anyone who gets a contract to manufacture either has to agree to only sell to .gov customers.

Let that sink in for a moment, keeping in mind that we're being denied the use of technology we paid to have developed in the first place.

Not until 2027. That's when the patents run out. God willing, it'll still be legal by that time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. We paid for SIPRnet and shit too and they won’t let us use that either.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What production problem do you think exists with A1?  There isn’t one...runs on the same lines as regular old 855.  There’s no real issue in meeting delivery schedule on the round, and they don’t buy nearly the quantities of A1...currently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figured the Army was buying up a fuckload of A1 to stockpile and issue to combat arms units. Odd that they're still buying 855... Cheaper for training purposes, I supposed.

Reality is, until lake city starts phasing out 855 to exclusively produce A1 for Mil contracts, we won't see much of it on the civilian market. That is, unless someone else is licensed to produce and sell it to civilians, probably at ass-rape prices.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the EPR was basically an existing round that the army copied... I remember some dude suing the army for it, winning, and then on appeal, the army won and didn't have to pay the man one cent.

ETA: Yeah, Liberty Ammunition.

The Army lost the patent suit to the tune of 15 million dollars and 1.4 cents per round

And then the higher court says "Fuck you, it belongs to the state, now."
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I thought the EPR was basically an existing round that the army copied... I remember some dude suing the army for it, winning, and then on appeal, the army won and didn't have to pay the man one cent.

ETA: Yeah, Liberty Ammunition.

The Army lost the patent suit to the tune of 15 million dollars and 1.4 cents per round
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I figured the Army was buying up a fuckload of A1 to stockpile and issue to combat arms units. Odd that they're still buying 855... Cheaper for training purposes, I supposed.

Reality is, until lake city starts phasing out 855 to exclusively produce A1 for Mil contracts, we won't see much of it on the civilian market. That is, unless someone else is licensed to produce and sell it to civilians, probably at ass-rape prices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We exclusively use A1, even for training. In Afghanistan we were using up the stockpiles of 855 training with it but only carried A1.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Um, yea, that's a real good analogy there...except M855A1 is the opposite of classified.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#28]
A1 is a dramatically better round than Green Tip (855).  As a general purpose round, it far outpaces the old and should absolutely be adopted widespread in lieu of Green Tip.  Accuracy potential alone is enough to make it a worthwhile solution.

That said, I much prefer Mk262 in the Afghan environment.

Army should stock M193, 855A1, and 262.

M193 for steel, range, training
M855A1 for general purpose
Mk262 for special purposes
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that they reduced the pressure of the round back to approximately what the original 855 was?

In my opinion, 855A1 is as close as it gets to the ideal round for general use with today’s technology. But unfortunately I done believe it’ll be available for widespread commercial sale any time soon
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

We exclusively use A1, even for training. In Afghanistan we were using up the stockpiles of 855 training with it but only carried A1.
View Quote
I had A1 in theater during my 2012 deployment.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that they reduced the pressure of the round back to approximately what the original 855 was?

In my opinion, 855A1 is as close as it gets to the ideal round for general use with today’s technology. But unfortunately I done believe it’ll be available for widespread commercial sale any time soon
View Quote
I've heard it both ways. I've heard it's 68,000 psi, then I've heard it's no hotter than any other 5.56 spec ammo. My guess is they just switched to a different powder to achieve higher velocities from a short barrel, but that's pure speculation on my part.

I know Crane came out and told the Army that in their opinion there was no significant increased wear and tear on guns. The Army had used a really harsh firing schedule, and Crane said that the results would have been the same using M855.

I would say that either they lowered the pressure, or that it was never that high to begin with, because the rumors of it breaking guns seem to be pure myth.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would tend to agree. Not match ammo by any stretch, but in my experience it groups better and has less flyers.

ETA:  I'd take MK262 Mod 1 over either.

https://i.imgur.com/5MEzGDa.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The round is more accurate than M855.
I would tend to agree. Not match ammo by any stretch, but in my experience it groups better and has less flyers.

ETA:  I'd take MK262 Mod 1 over either.

https://i.imgur.com/5MEzGDa.jpg
In general yes.  But their are M855 offerings out there that are equal in accuracy.  PMC Xtac being one.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
They did originally manufacture it with a hotter than usual load, and it was causing some premature wear to the barrel and bolt faces.

They've since (and not very publicly) tamed the load closer to 855 to reduce that issue.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I believe they noted a different wear pattern. Not bad just different.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Make yer own. Make 'em better.
View Quote
This.

I don't get why people have such a boner over this round.  It's nothing special.

24"-26" barrel, Lapua brass, Varget powder and even plain jane 55gr. FMJ is pretty wicked from a terminal performance standpoint.

Something like a 53 gr. Barnes TSX @ 3,400 FPS  or 40gr. VMAX @ 3,600 FPS = really nasty.

Instead of chasing the latest loaded ammo fad, invest some time and money in learning to reload.  It will be the best and worst firearms "investment" you ever make.

Failing that, if you want something wicked you need speed, just go buy a 22-250 for $500.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This.

I don't get why people have such a boner over this round.  It's nothing special.

24"-26" barrel, Lapua brass, Varget powder and even plain jane 55gr. FMJ is pretty wicked from a terminal performance standpoint.

Something like a 53 gr. Barnes TSX @ 3,400 FPS  or 40gr. VMAX @ 3,600 FPS = really nasty.

Instead of chasing the latest loaded ammo fad, invest some time and money in learning to reload.  It will be the best and worst firearms "investment" you ever make.

Failing that, if you want something wicked you need speed, just go buy a 22-250 for $500.
View Quote
It's not a fad. Amazingly, it's way undersold, despite being probably in the top ten, or even top five, things that the military has gotten right in its entire history. Match grade accuracy, amazing 100% consistent terminal performance from any barrel at any range, crazy penetration in hard barriers-and all this at a cost of 35 cents per round.

There is nothing like it on the commercial market. Not even close. There are options that can match its performance in one or two areas, but not all of them, and I would wager none of them give that level of consistency in terminal performance. And of course there's nothing on the commercial market that even comes close in terms of value.

Anyone who's done the research and still says they don't want it is lying to themselves. It is the shit in every way possible, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I am seriously pissed over not being able to get it as a civilian.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Make yer own. Make 'em better.
This.

Lol.

V-Max is a shit terminal performer at rifle velocities. Also a poor barrier penetrator.

TSX would be ok but it still won't penetrate barriers as effectively as M855A1. I also prefer fragmentation over expansion as the primary wounding mechanism in small caliber projectiles, just makes more sense on a human target.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#38]
What's the big issue with the round and feed ramps?
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's not a fad. Amazingly, it's way undersold, despite being probably in the top ten, or even top five, things that the military has gotten right in its entire history. Match grade accuracy, amazing 100% consistent terminal performance from any barrel at any range, crazy penetration in hard barriers-and all this at a cost of 35 cents per round.

There is nothing like it on the commercial market. Not even close. There are options that can match its performance in one or two areas, but not all of them, and I would wager none of them give that level of consistency in terminal performance. And of course there's nothing on the commercial market that even comes close in terms of value.

Anyone who's done the research and still says they don't want it is lying to themselves. It is the shit in every way possible, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I am seriously butthurt over not being able to get it as a civilian.
View Quote
The projectile itself is a solution to a military problem, barrier blindness, armor penetration, terminal performance and to a lesser extent accuracy.

I get it this is free country and civis should be able to own what they want, etc.

However, armor penetration and barrier blindness aren't ever something that really ever enter the civilian need category.

For the average Joe that uses an AR to hunt with the primary concerns are accuracy, terminal performance and then to a lesser extent for some, how long it hangs to velocity and bucks the wind.

The percentage of civilian self defense scenarios where armor penetration and barrier blindness were needed and legally justified have to be in the 0-1% range.

What I was trying to say that I probably should have been more explicit about was that more velocity is a "cure-all" for many problems.

Terminal performance issues I have seen and experienced with a .223 / 5.56 were far less common than when I was using a 22-250.

An AR with a 12" barrel vs. one with a 24" barrel and hot handloads might as well be a different caliber in terms of terminal performance.

Speed can take a projectile with "meh" terminal performance into the "wow" category.

In my own personal experience have seen deer and hogs shot and still run with everything from .223 to 30-06.  I have also seen plenty DRT from plain jane M193.

I have never seen a deer or a hog do anything but drop like a bag of shit after being hit with a 22-250 / .220 Swift / Very fast.

TL / DR instead of drooling over M855A1, buy a 22-250 and learn to reload.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Lol.

V-Max is a shit terminal performer at rifle velocities. Also a poor barrier penetrator.

TSX would be ok but it still won't penetrate barriers as effectively as M855A1. I also prefer fragmentation over expansion as the primary wounding mechanism in small caliber projectiles, just makes more sense on a human target.
View Quote
VMAX is very impressive on anything thin skinned.  Ok it doesn't penetrate 12" but you don't always have to.

TSX at the velocity I listed if WAY better than "ok", it's actually quite impressive.  High velocity TSX through barriers has excellent performance.

How can you state VMAX suck in the first part of your statement then say you prefer frag over penetration in the next?  Serious question.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#41]

However, armor penetration and barrier blindness aren't ever something that really ever enter the civilian need category.
View Quote
Maybe for your needs, but don't speak in generalities...
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 10:49:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

He didn’t say that. He said he preferred frag over expansion.
View Quote
There is nothing that frags like a high velocity VMAX.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The projectile itself is a solution to a military problem, barrier blindness, armor penetration, terminal performance and to a lesser extent accuracy.

I get it this is free country and civis should be able to own what they want, etc.

For the average Joe that uses an AR to hunt with the primary concerns are accuracy, terminal performance and then to a lesser extent for some, how long it hangs to velocity and bucks the wind.

The percentage of civilian self defense scenarios where armor penetration and barrier blindness were needed and legally justified have to be in the 0-1% range.

What I was trying to say that I probably should have been more explicit about was that more velocity is a "cure-all" for many problems.

Terminal performance issues I have seen and experienced with a .223 / 5.56 were far less common than when I was using a 22-250.

An AR with a 12" barrel vs. one with a 24" barrel and hot handloads might as well be a different caliber in terms of terminal performance.  

Speed can take a projectile with "meh" terminal performance into the "wow" category.

In my own personal experience have seen deer and hogs shot and still run with everything from .223 to 30-06.  I have also seen plenty DRT from plain jane M193.

I have never seen a deer or a hog do anything but drop like a bag of shit after being hit with a 22-250 / .220 Swift / Very fast.

TL / DR instead of drooling over M855A1, buy a 22-250 and learn to reload.
View Quote
...and the 855A1 makes both a 12" barrel and 24" barrel rifle perform far better, in terms of consistent terminal ballistics. I don't see the downside. I'd happily retire my 24" Long Tom monstrosity and enjoy shorter barrels with similar performance... if I could.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
VMAX is very impressive on anything thin skinned.  Ok it doesn't penetrate 12" but you don't always have to.

TSX at the velocity I listed if WAY better than "ok", it's actually quite impressive.  High velocity TSX through barriers has excellent performance.

How can you state VMAX suck in the first part of your statement then say you prefer frag over penetration in the next?  Serious question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

V-Max is an extremely shallow penetrator due to its early and rapid fragmentation. It's the same sort of effect you get when hitting someone with birdshot at close range. Yes, it's ugly. It creates very visible wounds. But are they lethal? Not really. Gel performance out of rifle length barrels averages around 5 to 7 inches of penetration. Ironically it actually performs better (for use on human targets) out of 10" and under barrels due to the velocity loss which causes it to act more like a soft point than a fragging varmint bullet.

Frag is, in my opinion, a superior wounding mechanism for small caliber projectiles. Expansion with small, light, sub .30 cal projectiles just isn't very impressive. Pushing frag deep as you get with loads like M193, M855, and M855A1 opens up more potential for lethal wounding. Having multiple fragments spread several inches apart into various areas ups the possibility of a solid strike on a vital organ than maybe getting up to .40 inches of expansion assuming you don't lose the petals early which makes the expansion meaningless.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't say that. He said he preferred frag over expansion.
Yeah, and that frag doesn't penetrate more than maybe 8 inches if you're lucky. Frag from military ball projectiles penetrates 12+ inches even if the projectile passes through clothing or even barriers depending on material. They also generally frag at more ideal depths than V-Max which frags almost immediately.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

V-Max is an extremely shallow penetrator due to its early and rapid fragmentation. It's the same sort of effect you get when hitting someone with birdshot at close range. Yes, it's ugly. It creates very visible wounds. But are they lethal? Not really. Gel performance out of rifle length barrels averages around 5 to 7 inches of penetration. Ironically it actually performs better (for use on human targets) out of 10" and under barrels due to the velocity loss which causes it to act more like a soft point than a fragging varmint bullet.

Frag is, in my opinion, a superior wounding mechanism for small caliber projectiles. Expansion with small, light, sub .30 cal projectiles just isn't very impressive. Pushing frag deep as you get with loads like M193, M855, and M855A1 opens up more potential for lethal wounding. Having multiple fragments spread several inches apart into various areas ups the possibility of a solid strike on a vital organ than maybe getting up to .40 inches of expansion assuming you don't lose the petals early which makes the expansion meaningless.
View Quote
Obviously you have never shot anything light skinned with VMAX from a 22-250.  Instant lights out.

On the second highlighted statement, have ever shot anything with a bonded bullet in .243 / 6.5mm anything / 7mm anything? Terminal performance with a bonded bullet in a 7mm doesn't get any better.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correct. ATF and the US Code does not care what the round can do, only what it is made from.

Even by Army performance standards, M855A1 is not AP. If a SAPI plate stops it, it is not AP for the military.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 12:07:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

...and the 855A1 makes both a 12" barrel and 24" barrel rifle perform far better, in terms of consistent terminal ballistics. I don't see the downside. I'd happily retire my 24" Long Tom monstrosity and enjoy shorter barrels with similar performance... if I could.
View Quote
You can do that with a 6.5 Grendel without the need for hard to find ammo.

12” Grendels can do it with many common types of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 12:10:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Obviously you have never shot anything light skinned with VMAX from a 22-250.  Instant lights out.

On the second highlighted statement, have ever shot anything with a bonded bullet in .243 / 6.5mm anything / 7mm anything? Terminal performance with a bonded bullet in a 7mm doesn't get any better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a hunter and I have no clue what "light skinned" means. I'm not talking about shooting animals and that's not what anyone was talking about in this thread. V-Max is a shit terminal performer out of rifle length barrels on human targets.

I said small and light sub .30 cal projectiles. Even .243 leans to the heavier side. Once you step into 6.5mm typical weights are 100grns and up, with 87gr being on the low end. The expansion of 62gr projectiles and under is not exciting and it is in this realm that fragmentation shines.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top