BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 2:54:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are so many societal issues that play a part in driving these things, I don't even know where we would start.

My kids never knew a world without smart phones, youtube, social media and the associated overwhelming amount of information being thrown at us. We have no idea how this is affecting us, let alone the kids we're trying to parent.

Not to mention the fact that we have created a culture of "freedom" while removing most of the inherent responsibilities and consequences of our actions. The dissolution of the 2 parent household is just one example of this.

But really, the fact is that the peace and health and security which we currently enjoy, are a very recent phenomenon. War, slavery, tyranny, famine, rape and all manner of atrocities have been the norm for all of our history. This past couple hundred years is a blip on the radar.

Unfortunately, the fact is that there will always be shitty people that do shitty things. Sometimes it's the leader of a nation and sometimes its some trailer trash scumbag.

The real question is; why do we give mass shootings, and "gun violence" so much more attention than any of the other tragic things that happen every single day? I believe that the reason for the increase in these events (if there really is an increase) has more to do with the answer to that question than anything else. The "mass shooting" has become the ultimate "fuck you" to society for scumbags who decide to snap for whatever reason. If cars running through crowds of people got that much attention, it would probably have the same result.

What we need as a society is a fundamental change in our way of thinking. People need to realize that we choose to live in a country with a certain freedoms. The trade off is we have violence portrayed in movies, music and video games, the ability to treat each other like crap, and a shit ton of guns that aren't going anywhere. And most importantly, that there will always be a motherfucker looking to get it on. No one is responsible for our safety except ourselves. If our government and media elites really wanted to decrease these things, they would be encouraging, guiding and teaching us to take personal responsibility in all areas including personal defense.

All of the neverending arguing about guns vs medications vs video games is just pissing into the wind.

"But we have to do SOMETHING!"

OK. Start reporting mass shootings with the same attention as a typical Chicago weekend, and remove the fear of guns by teaching the general population how to safely handle and carry them. That's "something".

"Whoa! That's not what we meant!"

Then fuck off.
View Quote
If only politicians were this sane.  But then we’d have to let them out of the asylum.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 3:10:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The reason the fuckers are on the shit to begin with is because they are fucked up.  Nobody ever says “I’m surprised Bob did this!  He was such a well adjusted individual!”

I’m not even sure what a good solution is to the problem is.  Parents can see the warning signs that their kids are crazy shits but often ignore it like the Newtown shooters mom did.
View Quote
My nephew developed schizophrenia when he was 24.  Long out of his parents house.  With his meds he lives a normal life.  Without them, not so much.

No one saw it coming.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 5:18:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell no. I was born with a disease that causes chemical seizures that present like panic attacks. They are not triggered by anything. My biological father and grandfather had them. I am adopted, and never met them, never knew they had them until I was 32 years old. I started having my health problems when I was 12.

Guess what I am treated with. The same meds that they treat mental disorders with.

I am on Ativan and Trazadone. I've been on the Ativan since the early-mid 1980s.

Many meds are used to treat a multitude of issues, some not even closely related to what you think their primary use is.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I do. I don't expect my question to be a solution. I'm only asking a question and it's only one facet of the problem.

Honestly, I don't think that the mental health problem is the issue to fix. I just have to wonder if the meds side of the equation contributes to these dickheads shooting people.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you should know that crazies gonna crazy...
Starting (or stopping) meds can affect things like mood and impulse control.

My wife has been on Prozac since our baby came, post-pardum depression sucks.
I would have been more worried before she got on Prozac.
I do. I don't expect my question to be a solution. I'm only asking a question and it's only one facet of the problem.

Honestly, I don't think that the mental health problem is the issue to fix. I just have to wonder if the meds side of the equation contributes to these dickheads shooting people.
No, it's because good guys with guns are hamstrung at every turn, away from shooting them in the face.

Violent people (crazy or not) can be shot. Maybe the accountability of real life (getting shot when you shoot at people) will fix them... either their loved ones will figure it out and care for them, or not.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#5]
What in the actual fuck does ADD or ADDHD have to do with anything?

Do you actually know what it is? What the symptoms are?

Lack of concentration or focus does not equal wanting to shoot people.

For fucks fucking sake.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 7:15:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Forcing folks to avoid treatment only exacerbates any problem but that's what the leftists are trying to do.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 7:20:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well...

If you need antidepressants, antipsychotics, etc, I'm sorry, but you're mentally compromised.

Should mentally ill people have access to firearms? It's funny how the needle moves when it effects yourself.
View Quote
Nor should they be allowed to drive a car according to that line of reasoning.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 7:42:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If a drug can alter the mind of someone to the point that they devalue their own life and are willing to take it (so much so that the Pharma companies have to list suicide as a side effect), why wouldn't that same medicine cause someone to devalue the lives of others and be willing to take those too?  
View Quote
Alcohol causes normal inhibitions to go out the window. Should anyone who drinks alcohol be barred from owning firearms?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top