Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 1:26:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out my wife and I hotdog biz.  Started as a cart, now have small restaurant.   Still do cart for events.  
Julieshotdogs.com. or on FB
View Quote

Real talk, how much are y’all pulling in selling hot dogs for 3 hours a day??
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 2:08:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Accepted (9/10) Movie CLIP - Ask Me About My Wiener (2006) HD
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Suddenly…

I am craving hot dogs…
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Check out my wife and I hotdog biz.  Started as a cart, now have small restaurant.   Still do cart for events.  
View Quote

That’s a good looking wiener that your wife has there.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those look awesome. Just the kind of thing I had in mind albeit not with quite as many options.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#6]
@cfishman

Your wife’s restaurant looks incredible. We have been looking at her menu several times today. I don’t actually believe Nebraska exists or we might have to drive up there.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This great thread just got better. I love that people take risk and work hard to make something. I would work there for free for a few weeks, just to learn about the business and the do's and don'ts. How long did it take to get off the ground?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Alright OP, I've had a few drinks, getting an early start on the Holiday weekend, so what I type next could be either the ramblings of a drunkard or the thoughts of a genius.  Even I can't be sure at the moment.

Here's my idea... are you familiar with Seinfeld?  ...

3$ gyros.  Kramer.  Wrapped and ready.  That is the key. The path. The golden ticket.  No, I don't mean you sell gyros. Awe, look at me. I'm rambling again.  Just like Sam Elliott in the Big Lebowski.

Lemme collect my thoughts and maybe have pour another drink while you watch this

So yah, I don't go to hotdog stands because I don't want to be in a line at lunchtime behind a bunch of other people and the first person in line basically controls the tempo.

For example, Hot Dog Guy ("HDG") "what'll it be?"
Slow Indecisive Customer ("SIC") "hmmmmm.... I will have.... hmmmm are your dogs 100% beef?"
HDG "oh yes, we use only all beef franks, would you like to try our special today?"
SIC "hmmmmm.... I think.... ummm.... uhh ... hmmmm .... what's on the spicy dog...?"

blah blah blah, I'm not gonna type all this out, do you want mustard, do you want onions, yakitty yak

slow, shuffling guy moseys over, pull a bun out of the warmer, get the tongs, grab a dog, shake off the water, put it in the bun, put the tongs back, get a yes or no answer for every condiment, then move onto a big negotiation on a bag of chips and what brand of soda.  

Everyone else is standing in line, starving, thinking "why did I stop here?"

Here is what makes your hotdog stand different.

EXPRESS LINE: (  ) BUCKS. CASH. PREWRAPPED DOG w/WORKS, NO CHOICES, BAG OF CHIPS, SODA, GO!!

I would love a stand like that.  

Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any updates?
View Quote

It’s on the way. Bought and paid for. Probably another two weeks since literally everything on the planet is back ordered.

No lumber, no bottles, no hot dog carts.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#11]
UPDATE: Hot dog stand will be ready for pickup this Friday.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Alright OP, I've had a few drinks, getting an early start on the Holiday weekend, so what I type next could be either the ramblings of a drunkard or the thoughts of a genius.  Even I can't be sure at the moment.

Here's my idea... are you familiar with Seinfeld?  ...

3$ gyros.  Kramer.  Wrapped and ready.  That is the key. The path. The golden ticket.  No, I don't mean you sell gyros. Awe, look at me. I'm rambling again.  Just like Sam Elliott in the Big Lebowski.
 https://i.imgur.com/A79Yra0.jpg

Lemme collect my thoughts and maybe have pour another drink while you watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFE9C7BBkTY

So yah, I don't go to hotdog stands because I don't want to be in a line at lunchtime behind a bunch of other people and the first person in line basically controls the tempo.

For example, Hot Dog Guy ("HDG") "what'll it be?"
Slow Indecisive Customer ("SIC") "hmmmmm.... I will have.... hmmmm are your dogs 100% beef?"
HDG "oh yes, we use only all beef franks, would you like to try our special today?"
SIC "hmmmmm.... I think.... ummm.... uhh ... hmmmm .... what's on the spicy dog...?"

blah blah blah, I'm not gonna type all this out, do you want mustard, do you want onions, yakitty yak

slow, shuffling guy moseys over, pull a bun out of the warmer, get the tongs, grab a dog, shake off the water, put it in the bun, put the tongs back, get a yes or no answer for every condiment, then move onto a big negotiation on a bag of chips and what brand of soda.  

Everyone else is standing in line, starving, thinking "why did I stop here?"

Here is what makes your hotdog stand different.

EXPRESS LINE: (  ) BUCKS. CASH. PREWRAPPED DOG w/WORKS, NO CHOICES, BAG OF CHIPS, SODA, GO!!

I would love a stand like that.  

View Quote

This guy IS a genius.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
UPDATE: Hot dog stand will be ready for pickup this Friday.
View Quote

Excited to watch your progress
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#15]
It’s on the way here!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to be on the board of our local "festival" and we made the vendors use tickets and not cash and we sold the tickets in booths and then redeemed the tickets the vendors turned in and paid them cash/check.

Corn dogs are by far the most profitable type of concession stand year after year.

They would bring the tickets in 5 gallon buckets to redeem them and the corn dog guy always did 4 or 5 times as much as the next closest vendor. We sold the beer so we made 100% of that money, but corn dogs were second to beer sales.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Wow, that is awesome. Congrats.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn, I wish you were anywhere near me, I would give you some cash for food, even if you don't have authentic Chicago dogs
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Damn, I wish you were anywhere near me, I would give you some cash for food, even if you don't have authentic Chicago dogs
View Quote

Look man, I am barely able to acknowledge anything north of the Mason Dixon line as even existing. Just putting the word Chicago on our cart is a big step for me
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Look man, I am barely able to acknowledge anything north of the Mason Dixon line as even existing. Just putting the word Chicago on our cart is a big step for me
View Quote

Better have some of that Vienna Beef in there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Any updates?
View Quote

Just need to be inspected and then we are off! Hopefully the next day or so.

Testing…

Attachment Attached File

ETA: not the final product. We need to get our cheese sauce a little more flowy. We are going to contact the local Mennonite store about producing sour kraut for us.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Haven't read the entire thread, but have you decided what brand dog(s) you will be using?
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#24]
not gonna lie, every time I got out of a bar in my 20s and there was a cart, I thought to myself....self, do this.  drunk people need food.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#25]
$3.00 each or two for $5.00 for regular Nathan’s dogs. 1/4 dogs are $6.00ea or two for $10.00 Polish sausages are $8.00ea or two for $14.00. No mix and matching.This incentives buying two hot dogs per customer. Offer regular, onion, poppy seed and pretzel buns. This adds a little something extra. Grilled onions and peppers as well as just grilled onions hold very well. Tossing them on the flat top to heat them up if a customer wants that option is quick. Condiments are a must. It will be cheaper to buy in bulk and have a dispenser similar to what Costco has for yellow and spicy mustard, regular and Thai ketchup, vidalia and red onions, dill and sweet relish. You can also offer chili and cheese sauce as well but to keep cost down that is something I’d keep in the cart can put on for the customer for a small upcharge .50 cents. Otherwise you will get some moron putting it on his chips and eating up your profit margin refilling the chili and cheese dispensers.

I’d also consider offering a vegan or beyond meat hotdog or sausage. Lots and lots of vegans/vegetarians now days. You’d be stupid to exclude them. Only caveat being you will need to keep a special section or flat top area for their dogs. They have a thing with stuff being cooked on the same surface as the actual meat. Since their product is more expensive you will have to have a different pricing option for them though I’d still try to do a two for, price set up for them as well to again try to get them to buy more than one. You’d also need to consider that vegan buns as well.

We locked into a hotdog cart for ourselves. We have a lot of little breweries around here that are always hosting some sort of parking lot thing. Hot dogs just go with beer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I met a multi-millionaire on Texoma one time who made all his money selling Corn Dogs at State Fairs. he works 3 months a year.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Testing

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/1A8E7DD7-E8F2-4259-856A-0651BD96D631_jpe-2064770.JPG

ETA: not the final product. We need to get our cheese sauce a little more flowy. We are going to contact the local Mennonite store about producing sour kraut for us.
View Quote

Mix in a little chicken stock.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My suggestion would be to add a little extra appeal to them, especially if you are charging 'venue' prices.

Wrap them in a slice of bacon and deep fry them. A small cart with a two basket deep fryer should do it. Just need room for something to steam the buns a little.

The added bonus is they cook really fast and you can do a bunch in one basket. Roller hot dog 'grills' take a while to actually cook them and make it hard to replenish stock quickly if the seller gets cleaned out.
View Quote

Good looking chick in a bikini.
That's how they used to roll in Orlando.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Testing…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/1A8E7DD7-E8F2-4259-856A-0651BD96D631_jpe-2064770.JPG

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any updates?

Testing…

Nice! Looks great. Also solid move getting the Mennonite sauerkraut. On a sausage it is killer! Makes me miss central PA.

Around here the Boars head sauerkraut isn’t a bad option. It’s an okay substitute to getting something more traditional like you get in the German areas.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nice! Looks great. Also solid move getting the Mennonite sauerkraut. On a sausage it is killer! Makes me miss central PA.

Around here the Boars head sauerkraut isn’t a bad option. It’s an okay substitute to getting something more traditional like you get in the German areas.
View Quote

We will make the chili and the cheese sauce as well as fresh toppings. But we don't have time to screw around making Kraut. This way we can play on it being local.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#31]
You can park it in my front yard, i love hotdogs.

I'd put a rooftop tent on it and run hookers too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Got inspected today and the cart goes into action this coming Saturday.

Anyone want to guess what the first days sales will be? I am going to say we sell around 150 hotdogs and pull in $600-$700 gross.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Being from Chicago I’m super picky when it comes to hot dogs. The two biggest things I look for are a Vienna Beef sign, and if the hot dogs are natural cased or not. Being by a sports venue or busy place I don’t mind paying more.

One thing you could do, which my favorite hot dog place does in Chicago (Gene and Judes), is fry up hand cut french fries and serve them on top of the hot dogs. Picture below for reference….
This picture is a “PR” photo. When you buy from them it’s all wrapped up in paper.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yep, this. Also a friendly reminder you should have a variety of condiments. Don't just roll ketchup & mustard, rock some sauerkraut, chili, pickles, hot peppers, coleslaw, etc. See what sells.

Cheese is another easy profitable add on you can offer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My suggestion would be to add a little extra appeal to them, especially if you are charging 'venue' prices.

Wrap them in a slice of bacon and deep fry them. A small cart with a two basket deep fryer should do it. Just need room for something to steam the buns a little.

Yep, this. Also a friendly reminder you should have a variety of condiments. Don't just roll ketchup & mustard, rock some sauerkraut, chili, pickles, hot peppers, coleslaw, etc. See what sells.

Cheese is another easy profitable add on you can offer.

Decent mustard !  Not just the yellow shit. Spicy brown!
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There's money in the banana stand.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Got inspected today and the cart goes into action this coming Saturday.

Anyone want to guess what the first days sales will be? I am going to say we sell around 150 hotdogs and pull in $600-$700 gross.
View Quote

@Canoeguy

I’m sure you said it previously, but what’s the name of your spot and where is it located? Might try to swing by this weekend with the fam if it’s not too far.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@Canoeguy

I’m sure you said it previously, but what’s the name of your spot and where is it located? Might try to swing by this weekend with the fam if it’s not too far.
View Quote

Its near Pennington Gap, VA. The extreme SW tip of Virginia.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Being from Chicago I’m super picky when it comes to hot dogs. The two biggest things I look for are a Vienna Beef sign, and if the hot dogs are natural cased or not. Being by a sports venue or busy place I don’t mind paying more.

One thing you could do, which my favorite hot dog place does in Chicago (Gene and Judes), is fry up hand cut french fries and serve them on top of the hot dogs. Picture below for reference….
This picture is a “PR” photo. When you buy from them it’s all wrapped up in paper.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/378839/BCE19399-CF15-48BE-8F9F-ABA6AAF71B3E_jpe-2066006.JPG
View Quote

adding a fryer to a hot dog cart is not easy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Canoeguy

7+ hours might be a bit much for a hotdog, haha. Good luck on the inaugural run.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Here’s a follow up question…those of you who frequent stands what do you expect to pay. Hot dog stands are rare around here.
View Quote

Never been to one, but if I did I’d say about $6.00 plus the drink.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Never been to one, but if I did I’d say about $6.00 plus the drink.
View Quote

There’s a hotdog truck in the “trendy” part of Bend. 3 hot dogs and 1 fry was like $48 with a tip. Each dog was $12+

ETA: Bend, Oregon. If the guy making your hot dogs is wear Fjallraven I guess you can expect to pay a premium.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

There’s a hotdog truck in the “trendy” part of Bend. 3 hot dogs and 1 fry was like $48 with a tip. Each dog was $12+

View Quote

Holy shit. We aren't doing that. Ours are generally $3-$3.50.

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So you have an interest in wieners huh?
View Quote

He wants to sell them. Man whore.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Holy shit. We aren't doing that. Ours are generally $3-$3.50.

View Quote

I wouldn’t question $6 for a good hotdog. Especially with a solid assortment of condiments. Beaver honey mustard preferably
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Awesome, I’m excited to see how things go OP. Good luck!

Another forging-his-own-path thread by Canoeguy. Well done dude!  
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I wouldn’t question $6 for a good hotdog. Especially with a solid assortment of condiments. Beaver honey mustard preferably
View Quote

OP, don't leave money on the table out of the gate. It might be better to lower prices if there is pushback. Raising your price will turn folks away. A couple of quarters on each dog will add up long term.

Inflation and all that..

I won't pay $6 for a hotdog at a stand, but it sounds like maslin02 will. Two for $7, maybe $8 I could swing.

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#47]
OP keep it simple.  Limit your exposure on perishables.  You can offer variety without getting complicated.  Chili, kraut, onions, ketchup, mustard, relish, cheese - something like that.  You don't want to end the day with a lot of shit you have to throw out.   And don't forget add-ons.  Beverages, bags of chips, candy, stuff that will keep between working days.  You can buy a case of 36 water bottles at walmart for like 3 bucks and sell the bottles for a buck a piece.  Offer deals too - $3 for a plain dog, $5 for a "meal" with a beverage and chips, $2 for an extra dog, stuff like that.  Have fun with it!

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
OP keep it simple.  Limit your exposure on perishables.  You can offer variety without getting complicated.  Chili, kraut, onions, ketchup, mustard, relish, cheese - something like that.  You don't want to end the day with a lot of shit you have to throw out.   And don't forget add-ons.  Beverages, bags of chips, candy, stuff that will keep between working days.  You can buy a case of 36 water bottles at walmart for like 3 bucks and sell the bottles for a buck a piece.  Offer deals too - $3 for a plain dog, $5 for a "meal" with a beverage and chips, $2 for an extra dog, stuff like that.  Have fun with it!

Best of luck.
View Quote

This is exactly what we are doing. Fanciest is the Chicago dog. It is also the one folks around here will be scared to try. But we will push it because it is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Good Luck OP! I hope you become a hot dog baron.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Not a huge day. But all sales were down. It was about 187 degrees out so that didn’t help a lot. But lots of posts being shared around with great reviews. We may run it again this coming Friday at a bluegrass event we have every week.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top