Quoted:
Quoted:

Who was the victim of the fraud again?
The American people.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only reason for money is to buy things.  Sometimes it is better food, sometimes it is a car, sometimes it is your kids into college.

We live in a society that money is the best tool of all.  Why are we giving these people grief for using it?
View Quote
Because the odds are quite good that most, if not all, of the people jammed up by this are liberals who loudly advocate all sorts of policies that will screw over lots of people and screw up the entire country, but can’t be bothered to play by their own policies.  Burn em at the stake, as far as I’m concerned.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Exactly.  If I open a college and admit only redheads despite their academic resume it's nobody's problem but mine.  If my admissions staff starts taking bribes to allow blondes in too that's not a federal matter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IMO If it’s private schools, that use no tax money, they can have any admissions criteria they desire.
Exactly.  If I open a college and admit only redheads despite their academic resume it's nobody's problem but mine.  If my admissions staff starts taking bribes to allow blondes in too that's not a federal matter.
A soulless college?  Damn, bro, that's a whole nother level of evil.  Ok, maybe evil is not the right word, but I'm not going to dig out the thesaurus and look for a better word.  Mainly, because it's on the top shelf and I can't reach that high.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A soulless college?  Damn, bro, that's a whole nother level of evil.  Ok, maybe evil is not the right word, but I'm not going to dig out the thesaurus and look for a better word.  Mainly, because it's on the top shelf and I can't reach that high.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IMO If it’s private schools, that use no tax money, they can have any admissions criteria they desire.
Obviously it won't be somewhere with too much sun.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I wonder how many of the DGAF people posting here are OK with members of Congress having a different set of rules than us regular citizens?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#6]
The only thing that surprises me is how many people believe these rich kids get into "Ivy League" schools purely through honest means. It's like that scene in Back to School where Rodney Dangerfield donates a building. Of course their parents pay!
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Because the odds are quite good that most, if not all, of the people jammed up by this are liberals who loudly advocate all sorts of policies that will screw over lots of people and screw up the entire country, but can’t be bothered to play by their own policies.  Burn em at the stake, as far as I’m concerned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only reason for money is to buy things.  Sometimes it is better food, sometimes it is a car, sometimes it is your kids into college.

We live in a society that money is the best tool of all.  Why are we giving these people grief for using it?
Sure, burn them at the stake, but can't we take their money first?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wonder how many of the DGAF people posting here are OK with members of Congress having a different set of rules than us regular citizens?
View Quote
There is a difference between being ok with something and recognizing the reality of the world.  Wouldn't you say?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Rich people pay for and get special favors, benefits and accommodations?

Ya don't say...
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There is a difference between being ok with something and recognizing the reality fo the world.  Wouldn't you say?
View Quote
Quoted:
Rich people pay for and get special favorors, benefits and accommodations?

Ya don't say...
View Quote
But that's not fair

You can tell the posters here who have never left the basement or are too dumb to realize money can and does and will continue to pay for almost anything and it's been that way since forever.

Yes, the wealthy get a ton of opportunities and hands up in life that normal people don't, been that way forever.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not really.  I think this is an internal college issue and really don't think my tax dollars should be wasted prosecuting this shit.
Yup.  This is at worst a state issue for public schools.
the wire and mail fraud, and the money laundering brought in the DOJ.
The school's reputation? Other students at the university? applicants denied acceptance because of slots available?

Who is the victim of any fraud then? Just pay a fee and log into an account to show you occasionally studied the material. All the world of higher learning could be University of Pheonix degreed. People don't think diploma mills be like they is, but they do.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm ecstatic that the scammers were finally outed, arrested, and charged. This kind of BS has been going on for a long time, too long. It's disgusting how ridiculously overpriced that colleges/universities have become. The big ones, so called Ivy League crap, charge the most outrageous tuitions and have the most difficult standards to meet to gain admission, yet they employ icehole communist professors who deliberately indoctrinate/brainwash students into their communist agenda while falsely claiming to be enlightened and sophisticated moral authorities. On top of all of this BS they commit fraud, which is a federal crime, as evidenced by the recent arrests. I hope that they determine that school officials above the coaches (Deans and professors) were involved and they identify, arrest, and charge them as well. These communist universities and their disgusting communist indoctrination machine need to be eradicated. They're part of the re-education process to destroy our Constitutional Republic and replace the US Constitution with a communist manifesto.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If the people in question were minorities,  nobody would give a shit.
View Quote
Yep, if they ticked a few more protected group tickboxes we wouldn't have heard anything about it - not black or gay, so looses some valuable points there. Jussie is like 'ha amateurs !'
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought it was common knowledge that rich people pay their way into good schools.
View Quote
Just like it's common knowledge that the politicians in congress and the senate tend to be corrupt, bought and paid for stooges for special interest groups and lobbyists like the Chinese government, the Iranian government, and the Russian government. I don't know about your complacency, but, I'm ecstatic that they have been exposed and will be facing prison sentences. I'm also ecstatic that President Trump's election has exposed the corruption in not only the congress, but, the intelligence agencies, the FBI, and the DOJ. Everybody, except for brain dead "moderates" already suspected that the corruption was there. It's just that now that it has been exposed, everybody not only suspects it, they actually "know" that the corruption is real.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#15]
A whole lotta class envy in here.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#16]
It’s a colossal waste of taxpayer dollars and police resources to pursue this garbage.

Bribery?  I only care if it’s a public government official.  Coaches aren’t.

Lying on a college application isn’t a federal offense.

Money laundering and tax evasion?  Fine, but it’s the one receiving it that has that trouble.  The parents and the students aren’t part of that mess.  Using RICO to go after them as well is fucking disgraceful.

The one thing they could get people on is fraud, and that’s really a civil action in these cases.  The universities have to show quantifiable damages.

Honestly, the whole thing just pisses me off.  Ruining peoples’ lives over nothing.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Absolutely!!!!!!!

For every entitled rich kid buying a seat.... there is some kid that busted ass getting grades getting left out.

It is simply WRONG
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a problem with what they were doing.  They were bargain shopping for admission and found it through a student-athlete "loophole".  What happened to the old time honored tradition of making a huge donation to a school, the kind that gets your name on a building, and then pressuring the admin to admit your child?  Student athletes should have to show a level of proficiency before getting admitted.  That wasn't happening.  And that ruins some sports.  If you're a bright and relatively affluent kid who has spent years getting to a level where you can hang with the best it would suck to get bumped by a kid who had never even tried.  I know some fairly wealthy families that have kids who can afford the time and energy for learning some of the more obscure Olympic Sports and yes they wind up in a college for it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I really don't. Rich people doing rich people things.. paying to get their kids into college which has been going on forever.. but NOW it's a "moral" issue.. probably because some illegal or "minority" wasn't able to get in.

Why aren't the schools being held accountable for this? everything I read is singling out the parents because they're white and rich.. therefore evil and deserving of having the kitchen sink thrown at them.
View Quote
I think both sides should be held accountable. The people who bribed their kids into school and the schools that accepted the bribes.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I don’t care
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The American people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The American people.
Not to mention the smart kid with a nobody set of parents that might have gone on to cure cancer, but won't because he didn't get into the school he should have or gotten a scholarship.

Then there is the tax evasion, so all of us.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Basically, they were involved in a conspiracy to (I guess):

Commit fraud.
Wire fraud, maybe.  Universities are just as protected as individuals from someone transmitting made up documents to get a service out of them.
Forging/falsification on a government document (applications, transcripts, FAFSA forms, etc).
Title IX violations (screwing around with female athletics money...bad juju).
Money laundering.

It wasn't just cash-for-enrollment.  These cats were paying folks to falsify transcripts, applications, impersonate test takers, falsify enrollment records (such as saying the student is an Athletic Recruit, but they never actually do anything athletic).

Had they just rolled up to the Chancellor and offered $250k for a place for their kid....nobody would really bat an eye.  It was the criminal shit they did to avoid the appearance of that (or to circumvent university regs against that sort of thing) that they are getting roasted for.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am sickened with the schools more than the parents.  For what they charge in tuition and offer for that amount and to have people take money on top is disgusting.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#24]
To those saying they do not have a problem with the wealthy buying access do you not have a problem with the two tier justice system?

I have an issue with it as it violates the very core of our entire way of life, equal opportunity. I also have a problem with the wealthy donating money for a building and that gains their kid a spot. We all know that the wealthy and connected rub elbows and that gets people access. You help my kid get into Harvard and I will help your kid get a job with a fat pay check. I personally know a judge who sat on the board of a law school that got another judges kid into that law school despite the fact that the kids grades sucked.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think both sides should be held accountable. The people who bribed their kids into school and the schools that accepted the bribes.
View Quote
Yup.  I agree.

I get rich people can afford shit I can't.  Better tutors,  nicer cars, nicer homes, big ass boats, consultants and advisors, etc.  They still need to play by the damn rules. They don't get to bribe, lie, cheat, to get more goodies.

There are laws on the books that were broken.  Charge them and send them to trial.  Fine the crap out of them.  Fire anyone in the school system that played along.  Charge them and try them as well.

I don't think they are a physical danger to society, so I'm ok with little or no time behind bars - but the financial penalties should be harsh.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Only the libs, I do like watching hypocrites burn.
View Quote
This right here.

Normally, I wouldn't give two shits about rich people doing rich people shit.

However, many of the people facing heat appear to be liberal asses that love to pretend they are morally superior to the rest of us.  This being the case, I cannot help but take some satisfaction in their current predicament.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There is a difference between being ok with something and recognizing the reality of the world.  Wouldn't you say?
View Quote
So the "reality" that Congress is exempt from healthcare bullshit, insider trading laws, etc is ok because it is, in fact, reality?

FFS.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Absolutely!!!!!!!

For every entitled rich kid buying a seat.... there is some kid that busted ass getting grades getting left out.

It is simply WRONG
View Quote
So from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs then?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not to mention the smart kid with a nobody set of parents that might have gone on to cure cancer, but won't because he didn't get into the school he should have or gotten a scholarship.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The American people.
No school is going to be the breeding ground for a cure to cancer.   Not today, not in Americas schools.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm about 50/50.  I just think that if rich people want to pay to get their kids in college, it should be made public.  But having said that, kids that worked hard to get in got rejected because of it.  That really doesn't seem right to me.  Plus, some of the parents ran the payments through non profits which is probably tax evasion and/or money laundering.  I do have problems with that.   Gonna be interesting to see if these elite Hollywood types really are above the law.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm glad to know who the scumbags are, but I'm not experiencing the outrage that some are.

I learned very young that life isn't fair and that we aren't all equal in all the ways, so I try to focus more on the morality of what I do.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So the "reality" that Congress is exempt from healthcare bullshit, insider trading laws, etc is ok because it is, in fact, reality?

FFS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FFS.
Why yes.  And you give your tacit approval to it every time you vote and every time you pay your taxes.  Don't be a hypocrite.

Or, go ahead and rail against it and be a hypocrite about it, but don't whine to us about it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Don’t care.

Won’t care.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe that kid would never be able to afford college at all.  If we only gave free college to everyone then cancer will be cured.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Basically, they were involved in a conspiracy to (I guess):

Commit fraud.
Wire fraud, maybe.  Universities are just as protected as individuals from someone transmitting made up documents to get a service out of them.
Forging/falsification on a government document (applications, transcripts, FAFSA forms, etc).
Title IX violations (screwing around with female athletics money...bad juju).
Money laundering.

It wasn't just cash-for-enrollment.  These cats were paying folks to falsify transcripts, applications, impersonate test takers, falsify enrollment records (such as saying the student is an Athletic Recruit, but they never actually do anything athletic).

Had they just rolled up to the Chancellor and offered $250k for a place for their kid....nobody would really bat an eye.  It was the criminal shit they did to avoid the appearance of that (or to circumvent university regs against that sort of thing) that they are getting roasted for.
View Quote
I'm seeing a lot of government intervention into the people's  lives, with the insistence that the government get more into the people's lives.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have a problem with what they were doing.  They were bargain shopping for admission and found it through a student-athlete "loophole".  What happened to the old time honored tradition of making a huge donation to a school, the kind that gets your name on a building, and then pressuring the admin to admit your child?  Student athletes should have to show a level of proficiency before getting admitted.  That wasn't happening.  And that ruins some sports.  If you're a bright and relatively affluent kid who has spent years getting to a level where you can hang with the best it would suck to get bumped by a kid who had never even tried.  I know some fairly wealthy families that have kids who can afford the time and energy for learning some of the more obscure Olympic Sports and yes they wind up in a college for it.
View Quote
It's not a loophole. It's parents forging a fictitious past for their kids to exploit Title IX set-asides.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I care because bribery, fraud, tax evasion, conspiracy and getting over on others is bullshit.

Plus these are all Libs so I’m happy to see them get jammed up.

My only regret is not seeing aunt Becky get naked or stories of her fucking dudes to get her retard  babies into USC.
View Quote
I totally agree with the bolded part.  I'm apparently not as much of an Aunty Becky fan as @burkeva, so I'm not sharing the same regret

Also, for everyone going off on the schools, you realize these payments involved under the table bribes to a coach, and weren't being paid as donations to the school?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's not a loophole. It's parents forging a fictitious past for their kids to exploit Title IX set-asides.
View Quote
Which shouldn't exist.  Stop demanding more government intervention in our lives.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Also, for everyone going off on the schools, you realize these payments involved under the table bribes to a coach, and weren't being paid as donations to the school?
View Quote
And that's the problem.  Which is a problem.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If a super rich parent "donates" 50 mil to a school their kid gets in and its legal.
View Quote
But how often does that happen?  Does anyone have a list?  There are about 540 billionaires in the US.  $50 million is a lot even to a billionaire, and I bet there are fewer than a dozen new donations of that sort each year in the US.

I suspect many with $50 million to donate would have donated to a university anyway.  They are more likely to donate to the school that will let their kid in, so universities are competing for those gigantic donations.

The biggest issue in this scandal is the cheating, which is apparently being institutionalized in the US as it already is in China and India.  Applying to a US graduate school and seeking a fellowship?  Lots of Chinese will be in front of you in line with higher but fake GRE and TOEFL scores.  And that isn't the last of their cheating--they'll be cheating on exams in grad school and on their research, too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No school is going to be the breeding ground for a cure to cancer.   Not today, not in Americas schools.
View Quote
You don't get the point, right now there is a kid in some state college that should have gone to a tier 1 school, then would become a doctor and then cure cancer.

Or would have become a conservative lawyer, then SCJ

Or would have become a conservative President of the United states,

But because some pop culture icon bought their kid a spot, the rightful kid ends up going to Podunk school and you never hear of him.

Its not just that they cheated, the slots in these school are very limited and they also stole someone else's possibilities.   That makes all of us victims.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#42]
This is about the least of my concerns about the University system.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Nearly all colleges accept govt funding to some degree.  There are strings attached.  With that funding comes rules.  They broke the rules.

"Break a deal, get the wheel."

If a college refuses to accept all govt funding (such as Hillsdale College, in Michigan) they are free to accept whoever they wish.

So yeah, I have a problem with what those parents did.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Maybe that kid would never be able to afford college at all.  If we only gave free college to everyone then cancer will be cured.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO  academic scholarships are off test scores.  When you buy high test scores you rob some kid of his spot.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
NO  academic scholarships are off test scores.  When you buy high test scores you rob some kid of his spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yawn.  Wake me up when college admissions are actually based on academic ability.

Nobody was robbed of anything.  If they were that great they wouldn't be sitting on the bubble.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#46]
I like that they are getting the just rewards.  They impose their fake morals on regular people while buying their way through like.  Just like the lefty politicians and their gun permits.

Other than that, some people call the payments donations, there’s call them endowments, others scholarships.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Nearly all colleges accept govt funding to some degree.  There are strings attached.  With that funding comes rules.  They broke the rules.

"Break a deal, get the wheel."

If a college refuses to accept all govt funding (such as Hillsdale College, in Michigan) they are free to accept whoever they wish.

So yeah, I have a problem with what those parents did.
View Quote
The entire idea of a limited federal government is out the window then.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Zero fucks given
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I totally agree with the bolded part.  I'm apparently not as much of an Aunty Becky fan as @burkeva, so I'm not sharing the same regret

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I care because bribery, fraud, tax evasion, conspiracy and getting over on others is bullshit.

Plus these are all Libs so I’m happy to see them get jammed up.

My only regret is not seeing aunt Becky get naked or stories of her fucking dudes to get her retard  babies into USC.

The hiring people to take tests or to doctor test answers is also appalling. Way beyond "simple" bribery.

@AeroEngineer - would you look away if Aunt Becky was walking through your yard naked?????  
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The entire idea of a limited federal government is out the window then.  
View Quote
If Colleges accept our tax dollars then they have to abide by the rules set forth by our elected representatives. In fact that is how our system of government is supposed to work.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top