BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a problem with it, because my son was one of the ones who got screwed.

1580 SAT, 3.99 GPA, mom and aunt are Harvard alum (and Harvard does give preference to legacies).  Son applied to Harvard, Brown and Cornell, did not get accepted to any of them.   White Christian male.

So some rich white snot whose parents bribed someone took my son's potential spot. Because we all know minorities will still get in, but middle-class white kids are SOL.
View Quote
I bet none of those schools refunded the $80 application fee, either.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You don't get the point, right now there is a kid in some state college that should have gone to a tier 1 school, then would become a doctor and then cure cancer.

Or would have become a conservative lawyer, then SCJ

Or would have become a conservative President of the United states,

But because some pop culture icon bought their kid a spot, the rightful kid ends up going to Podunk school and you never hear of him.

Its not just that they cheated, the slots in these school are very limited and they also stole someone else's possibilities.   That makes all of us victims.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No school is going to be the breeding ground for a cure to cancer.   Not today, not in Americas schools.
You don't get the point, right now there is a kid in some state college that should have gone to a tier 1 school, then would become a doctor and then cure cancer.

Or would have become a conservative lawyer, then SCJ

Or would have become a conservative President of the United states,

But because some pop culture icon bought their kid a spot, the rightful kid ends up going to Podunk school and you never hear of him.

Its not just that they cheated, the slots in these school are very limited and they also stole someone else's possibilities.   That makes all of us victims.
My experince in life is that the real talent rises, and it doesn't matter what school they went to.  People are attached to talent, people are willing to invest in talent.   Your experience may be different.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
This is no different than E Warren claiming to be a native to get into Harvard.  BS of the highest order.  Someone got fucked by the snobs getting their dumb brats in.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If Colleges accept our tax dollars then they have to abide by the rules set forth by our elected representatives. In fact that is how our system of government is supposed to work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The entire idea of a limited federal government is out the window then.  
If Colleges accept our tax dollars then they have to abide by the rules set forth by our elected representatives. In fact that is how our system of government is supposed to work.
Rules like affirmative action?

As a parent, I prefer to make my own affirmative action.  And will use whatever tools at my disposal to do so.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a problem with it.
It is just one step away from the outright selling of a degree.
Poor here's your degree and you are now an Engineer, or worse yet an MD.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The hiring people to take tests or to doctor test answers is also appalling. Way beyond "simple" bribery.

@AeroEngineer - would you look away if Aunt Becky was walking through your yard naked?????  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I care because bribery, fraud, tax evasion, conspiracy and getting over on others is bullshit.

Plus these are all Libs so I’m happy to see them get jammed up.

My only regret is not seeing aunt Becky get naked or stories of her fucking dudes to get her retard  babies into USC.
I totally agree with the bolded part.  I'm apparently not as much of an Aunty Becky fan as @burkeva, so I'm not sharing the same regret

Also, for everyone going off on the schools, you realize these payments involved under the table bribes to a coach, and weren't being paid as donations to the school?
The hiring people to take tests or to doctor test answers is also appalling. Way beyond "simple" bribery.

@AeroEngineer - would you look away if Aunt Becky was walking through your yard naked?????  
No, no I wouldn't
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't give much of a shit, but it has exposed more of our aristocrat class, and their shenanigans.

What can you do? None of them will serve time, but they'll probably have felonies on their records for this. They'll get probation and community service. I'm fine with that.

Their kids should be expelled however.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The entire idea of a limited federal government is out the window then.  
I don't believe our founding fathers would agree that the federal government can have power beyond its enumerated ones through bribery.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Which shouldn't exist.  Stop demanding more government intervention in our lives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not a loophole. It's parents forging a fictitious past for their kids to exploit Title IX set-asides.
Which shouldn't exist.  Stop demanding more government intervention in our lives.
I'm not demanding more government in our lives. I'm demanding that the laws should be enforced equally.

I hate Title IX. I would burn it all down if I could. But the fact is its just a loophole to be exploited by privileged well-off white girls. That is what we see with this.

This is non-intersectionalism at it's bestest.

burn it all down. one step at a time.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#12]
So when rich people get shit they didn't earn or deserve, they should be prosecuted.

When "minorities" get shit they didn't earn or deserve, it's supported by the government and called Afirmitive Action.

Think I understand it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@SmilingBandit

I wonder if you would feel the same way about military pilots, their selection, and their kids.

What if Parents buy their kids test scores and billets into flight school and selection of whatever they wish to fly.

You, SB, don’t get to fly based on your hard earned academics, and flight prep/skills.

Your chance to fly 15’s/16’s/18’s just went out the proverbial window because a slot YOU should have gotten was given to an actors spoiled COD driven son for $250,000.
View Quote
In both cases, affirmative action is a greater issue with a larger impact.  If we're not going to deal with that, who cares about a little bribery?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I really don't. Rich people doing rich people things.. paying to get their kids into college which has been going on forever.. but NOW it's a "moral" issue.. probably because some illegal or "minority" wasn't able to get in.

Why aren't the schools being held accountable for this? everything I read is singling out the parents because they're white and rich.. therefore evil and deserving of having the kitchen sink thrown at them.
View Quote
People are being fired/resigning in shame at the schools.

If you want to pay to get your kid into school, do it the old fashioned [legal] way with an above-board donation to a private school.

In this "scandal" there were all kinds of violations of both university policy and law (mostly tax evasion from fraudulent 'charitable' donations).

I'm not all hot & bothered about it, but fuck those people, their kids, and the university shitheads that enabled them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's not a loophole. It's parents forging a fictitious past for their kids to exploit Title IX set-asides.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a problem with what they were doing.  They were bargain shopping for admission and found it through a student-athlete "loophole".  What happened to the old time honored tradition of making a huge donation to a school, the kind that gets your name on a building, and then pressuring the admin to admit your child?  Student athletes should have to show a level of proficiency before getting admitted.  That wasn't happening.  And that ruins some sports.  If you're a bright and relatively affluent kid who has spent years getting to a level where you can hang with the best it would suck to get bumped by a kid who had never even tried.  I know some fairly wealthy families that have kids who can afford the time and energy for learning some of the more obscure Olympic Sports and yes they wind up in a college for it.
Point well taken.  There was an obvious lack of oversight in the process.  And I can see why.  One simply wouldn't expect a college coach to accept an athlete who couldn't cut it.  Unless, of course, the coach was bribed handsomely and nobody cared if the athlete performed at all.  Bribes are how it's done in the Third World.  And there are certain social groups that would love to lower us to that status.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So when rich people get shit they didn't earn or deserve, they should be prosecuted.

When "minorities" get shit they didn't earn or deserve, it's supported by the government and called Afirmitive Action.

Think I understand it.
View Quote
The difference is that Affirmative Action is the law of the land.  It's on the books as both federal law and in most states, state law.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The difference is that Affirmative Action is the law of the land.  It's on the books as both federal law and in most states, state law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think I understand it.
Yes, so?  Slavery also was law of the land, it doesn't make it any more moral or just simply becasue it was legal.

Parents doing what they feel they need to do to get their kids into school when they are operating under unfair restrictions are ok by me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I think it is a waste of time and resources.

Time and resources that could be used to prosecute people who commit hate criminal.  Like Jussie Smollett.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

1580 SAT, 3.99 GPA, mom and aunt are Harvard alum (and Harvard does give preference to legacies).  Son applied to Harvard, Brown and Cornell, did not get accepted to any of them.   White Christian male.

So some rich white snot whose parents bribed someone took my son's potential spot. Because we all know minorities will still get in, but middle-class white kids are SOL.
View Quote
At some point, you have to ask yourself what good a degree from an institution like that is.

If they LITERALLY do not want qualified students & only wish to admit minorities and ultra-rich kids...  At some point, prospective employers will have to view those degrees as what they are.  A worthless piece of paper.  
When the university stops living off of the corpse of what it was, what is it?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes, so?  Slavery also was law of the land, it doesn't make it any more moral or just simply becasue it was legal.

Parents doing what they feel they need to do to get their kids into school when they are operating under unfair restrictions are ok by me.
View Quote
Right.
Wrong.
The Law.

Three entirely different things.

None of these kids were looking at missing out due to unfair restrictions. NONE.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Am I wrong in thinking that Harvard could fill their entire freshman class with 4.0's and better?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Right.
Wrong.
The Law.

None of these kids were looking at missing out due to unfair restrictions. NONE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right.
Wrong.
The Law.

I don't know what they would be missing out on.  I don't think you do either.

They feel they would have been missing out on something, doesn't that count?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#24]
It's a shiney bauble dangled before the ignorant masses by the media to draw their attention away from the Mueller witchhunt that blew up in their faces.

Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Everything I've read indicates they felt entitled to admission to schools where they would otherwise have had no chance at admission. They didn't have the grades to earn admission in any legal/normal manner and they weren't so close as to have any semblance of a legit AA gripe or whatever.

They were too good for the state schools they could have been admitted to so they bought their way in to better schools.

I feel like I'm missing out on a new Corvette. That doesn't mean it's OK to steal one.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Everything I've read indicates they felt entitled to admission to schools where they would otherwise have had no chance at admission. They didn't have the grades to earn admission in any legal/normal manner and they weren't so close as to have any semblance of a legit AA gripe or whatever.

They were too good for the state schools they could have been admitted to so they bought their way in to better schools.

I feel like I'm missing out on a new Corvette. That doesn't mean it's OK to steal one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you.  Say, the government decided that everyone with Red hair gets a free corvette.  Would you give a passing thought to dying your hair red?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Waste of resources and time.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't know where you are going with that one.

There is no acceptable argument for "I'm not good enough but I'm rich enough so fuck you."

Not to mention the tax evasion aspect of it for most of these wealthy parents.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wonder how many football afleets can read and write reel gud.
View Quote
Exactly.

My problem with it is the lack of forthrightness about how their admissions really work. There's all sorts of special privileges and exceptions. It's not any sort of a level merit-based playing field.

Equality of outcome is no way to run a railroad.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't know where you are going with that one.

There is no acceptable argument for "I'm not good enough but I'm rich enough so fuck you."

Not to mention the tax evasion aspect of it for most of these wealthy parents.
View Quote
Give it some thought, applied to the current situation, I don't think I made it too opaque.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I've always thought universities should be more like community colleges. If you can afford it and fill out all the proper paperwork, welcome aboard.

At least for state schools.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
And slavery was wrong which was taken care of after the Brits got their asses kicked out of the country.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I don’t care so long as the schools in question are not receiving government money or subsidies or tax breaks of any kind. Then it’s just capitalism and whatever.

But if they are then fuck them, hard.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I definitely have a problem with it, but it’s nothing we don’t already know was happening.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Which is worse:

-Buying a place in a University for someone who is not qualified?

-Assigning a place at a University for someone who is not qualified on the basis of skin pigmentation?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#37]
No problem with it. Once they introduced racial quotas in college admissions all gloves should have come off.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Legally? Meh.
Ethically, hell yes especially if they accept a single penny of .gov money.
More than anything else it is awesome watching them squirm.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think it is a waste of time and resources.

Time and resources that could be used to prosecute people who commit hate criminal.  Like Jussie Smollett.
View Quote
That's not how it works. How any of it works.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
And slavery was wrong which was taken care of after the Brits got their asses kicked out of the country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They felt so bad about running the world's largest slave trade they outlawed it in 1833. Good move.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Which is worse:

-Buying a place in a University for someone who is not qualified?

-Assigning a place at a University for someone who is not qualified on the basis of skin pigmentation?
View Quote
It would be get both! Not pick one...
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#42]
They should just be able to buy the actual medical degree and of course forgo the intern and residency if the right $$$$ is paid.

Paging Dr. Nick
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
@SmilingBandit

I wonder if you would feel the same way about military pilots, their selection, and their kids.

What if Parents buy their kids test scores and billets into flight school and selection of whatever they wish to fly.

You, SB, don’t get to fly based on your hard earned academics, and flight prep/skills.

Your chance to fly 15’s/16’s/18’s just went out the proverbial window because a slot YOU should have gotten was given to an actors spoiled COD driven son for $250,000.
View Quote
You don’t think that a senatorial nomination has anything to do with connections already?  You know where the most pilots come from?  
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Universities create value, create credential bubbles, and take bribes constantly. These incidents scandalize by threatening the appearance of meritocracy. Elites need the merit laundry, and burghers want their fair moneys worth from credential sellers.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Am I wrong in thinking that Harvard could fill their entire freshman class with 4.0's and better?
View Quote
They could, but they'd all be Asian & white.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And under current law, that would be illegal.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Equality of outcome...
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#48]
They broke the law fuck'em,getting sick of our multi tiered justice system anyways.

I haven't seen the names of the other parents? any other celebs/politicians?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There is a tax evasion component to it.

Liberals committing tax evasion should be crucified head down at the city gates.

I think however, Lori is rehabilitatable if I’m alloed to counsel her personally.
View Quote
This.

$500,000 as a "donation" which is tax deductible.

These folks defrauded our government of millions of dollars.

Another issue is changing test answers to alter results.  A bunch of teachers and administrators in ATL did that and they went to prison.  The people that were complicit in this fraud should face the same consequences.

The IMG administrator is going down for 20 years.  Harvard grad.  IMG administrator.  Felon.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#50]
I don’t care that it goes on, it’s kind of along the lines of college athletes. But if f you get busted you get busted.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top