Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2018 12:18:15 AM EDT
I finally got around to putting together a video from footage I got last June.  I had the drone maybe 1 or 2 weeks at that point, went on vacation, and wanted to see if it was possible use the quadcopter to carry may bait out past the breakers. It was. I only had an hour on the last morning of the trip to attempt this.  I wish I had more time ask I would have captured footage from the drone as well.  I did overlay the video flight log though.

There were so many variables that I was very nervous, they included strong gusts of wind, new to flying the quadcopter, unknown response to the added weight, not sure if the blue tape would hold or let go, fishing line flipping in the air...so I skipped trying to maneuver the gimbal and record shots from the quad.  In 45 minutes of fishing, 20 of that was probably prepping the lines and prepping for launch, I managed to catch 2 small sharks which I released. It was a fun experiment.  If I lived closer to water like that I would get a cheaper drone and a different release mechanism setup.  I was just using blue painters tape, with enough force to hold the bait.  When I got out to where I wanted to drop the bait I just closed the bail while flying away.  The tension was enough to pull the line from the painters tape.

Drone Fishing - Using a Phantom 4 Pro to Drop Bait Past the Breakers W/Flight Map
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#1]
When I first read the title, I thought it was about some Viet Nam-era operation to mine the harbors using F-4s.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:24:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I first read the title, I thought it was about some Viet Nam-era operation to mine the harbors using F-4s.  
View Quote
That would be more fun than fishing.

I could click bait my title with "You will never believe what this guy did with his brand new Phantom 4 Pro".
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:30:30 AM EDT
[#3]
get to haul nets out for you and circle them around the fish
put transponders on them to look for fish for you too
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:32:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I could click bait my title with "You will never believe what this guy did with his brand new Phantom 4 Pro".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I loved to fish off the local bridge with concussion grenades and all the residents loved it to...we used to bring up some nice sized carp for them plus
bunches of other fish really got to feed the ville that way......once in a while we'd turn over a boat or two but no grenades landed in anyones
boats so that was a good thing...kids just loved the water show.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Use a small Scotty's downrigger release instead of tape
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for showing this. I really enjoy surf and pier fishing. This technique will probably be in my future. However, my second thought is some jurisdictions will probably make it illegal.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:54:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Use a small Scotty's downrigger release instead of tape
View Quote
Yeah, some type of release will be used in the future.  This was a last minute proof of concept.  I figured the 4 pro would handle the weight but I wasn't sure how it would fly or behave when tugging on it.

The way I had it setup all of the weight was on one front corner.  That will quickly burn that motor out.  I would want some type of harness that ties into all 4 corners and then the release attaches to that about 2 feet below.  That would keep the fishing line clear from the props and distribute the weight evenly.

I've seen the refurb Phantom 3 standards sell for $399 at times.  That would be the type of quad to use for this.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:57:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for showing this. I really enjoy surf and pier fishing. This technique will probably be in my future. However, my second thought is some jurisdictions will probably make it illegal.
View Quote
Other than being in a area near an airport, flying over a bunch of swimmers, or a city ordinance that bans them everywhere, I don't see it being illegal.  It just helps you "cast" further and doesn't give you any edge over the fish.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:01:11 AM EDT
[#9]
That’s cool man. On a less newsworthy day ide say you won the internet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:52:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I used to shark fish but got out of it because the surf was always too damn rough for me to kayak out my bait. Now with the advent of affordably priced drones I’m starting to think about doing it again.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:02:17 AM EDT
[#11]
87% chance yo line will get stuck or cut.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I used to shark fish but got out of it because the surf was always too damn rough for me to kayak out my bait. Now with the advent of affordably priced drones I'm starting to think about doing it again.
View Quote
What do you do with sharks?  I caught one on an off shore fishing trip.  It wasn't the best for eating.  I honestly had no idea what/how to fish the surf.  I just knew if I through out bait I would probably catch something and it turned out to be sharks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What do you do with sharks?  I caught one on an off shore fishing trip.  It wasn't the best for eating.  I honestly had no idea what/how to fish the surf.  I just knew if I through out bait I would probably catch something and it turned out to be sharks.
View Quote
Just catch and release for fun. I would run a couple shark rigs out then come back and fish for reds. It was a fun way to hang out on the beach all night.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I manage a (the world's best) tarpon lodge so I see all sorts of anglers.

Some people are focused on the sport - man against fish - which with our big tarpon is a true struggle.

Some people want the thrill of the first two jumps and it throws the hook and some want to fight that 180 lb tarpon to the boat.

Then I have some that want easy catching (not fishing).  If we had a scuba diver that would put a worn out tarpon that some one else had fought on their hook that would be awesome for them.

This is a slippery slope.  Surf casting is what it is because of the conditions (breakers, etc.).  To me this is like using an electric reel.

I get that you want to get past the breakers.  I understand this technology does that.  And even Stephen Hawking could land a 200 lb yellow belly tarpon on an electric reel - but he wouldn't get much out of it.

I just bought our lodge a Mavic Pro.  I'll use it to film guests fishing (on absolutely calm days!) but we'll surf cast for snook the old-fashioned way.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#15]
How long does it take to fly the drone back to shore and land it?  I assume your hands wouldn't be free to grab the rod if something hit it immediately.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How long does it take to fly the drone back to shore and land it?  I assume your hands wouldn't be free to grab the rod if something hit it immediately.
View Quote
Next up: Using a drone to find your rod after a fish takes it!
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#17]
From where you were standing and where the bait was dropped couldn't you just cast that far with a good 10-12 ft surf rod?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#18]
We use our drones to fish here in Australia all the time.  Half a dozen people on the pier will have me fly their lines way out past the breakers and we catch some big barramundi.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I would rather use a can cannon if given the choice

Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I can get behind this idea!
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll just leave this here:
BEACH FISHING CANNON BAIT CASTER 300 YARD CASTING OFFSHORE 6 FOOT SHARKS BUNKER UP FISHING
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Other than being in a area near an airport, flying over a bunch of swimmers, or a city ordinance that bans them everywhere, I don't see it being illegal.  It just helps you "cast" further and doesn't give you any edge over the fish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Other than the whole "helps you to cast further" part.

Wisconsin already bans drones for hunting and fishing can't be that far behind.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Some people are focused on the sport - man against fish - which with our big tarpon is a true struggle.

Some people want the thrill of the first two jumps and it throws the hook and some want to fight that 180 lb tarpon to the boat.

Then I have some that want easy catching (not fishing).  If we had a scuba diver that would put a worn out tarpon that some one else had fought on their hook that would be awesome for them.

This is a slippery slope.  Surf casting is what it is because of the conditions (breakers, etc.).  To me this is like using an electric reel.

I get that you want to get past the breakers.  I understand this technology does that.  And even Stephen Hawking could land a 200 lb yellow belly tarpon on an electric reel - but he wouldn't get much out of it.

I just bought our lodge a Mavic Pro.  I'll use it to film guests fishing (on absolutely calm days!) but we'll surf cast for snook the old-fashioned way.
View Quote
How is a drone like an electric reel?

He is not bringing the fish in with it, he is dropping his bait farther out.  Does an electric reel allow you to cast farther?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#24]
A shameless tag...
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Could you PM the link to your lodge please?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#26]
The drone can also watch the world die while it is out there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#27]
"the one secret fish beyond the breakers dont want you to know about!"

i do the same thing for heavier shark fishing rigs using kayak or heavy-duty kite fishing rig
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
It does have a return to home feature, where it will automatically land where it takes off.  Also if the battery is full it can hover place for 20 minutes if need be, then if the battery gets low it will automatically return to home.  In the video you can see the flight map, I was only going about 400 feet out.  That took about 1 minute 30 seconds to fly out and back, so 30 to 45 seconds for the return which is faster since you don't have to worry about tangling the line.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
How far out can you cast with a proper surf rod?

I love technology so mixing technology and fishing, as a relaxing hobby, is what I find fun.  The effort to cast to the perfect spot, which you can't even see from the shore, isn't what I find as the most enjoyable aspect.  Now you could use the drone to spot a good location and then tell people to try to cast to it.  That still makes it 100% physical process using the technology just as a guide on where to cast.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
From where you were standing and where the bait was dropped couldn't you just cast that far with a good 10-12 ft surf rod?
View Quote
Will they cast 400 to 600 feet?  I don't know.  I don't live by the ocean and don't have surf equipment.  All my fishing gear and drone fit into the trunk of a Nissan Altima along with the suitcases.  Can't do that with surf fishing gear.

With the drone if you find a sand bar, point, or ledge that goes out even further then you could drop right on it.  I'm not sure how common those are.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'll just leave this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NXgqrXvnzU
View All Quotes
What would you rather drag to the beach, a drone or that monster cannon?  That monster cannon is very cool though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Could you PM the link to your lodge please?
View Quote
Same here.  No idea when I would get there but I will make a note of it and keep it on my list of places.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Just wait til a gull swoops by and snags that shit
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Cool vid OP. I've seen other vids with people actually pulling fish out of the water w/ drones. With my luck, that would be the day I'd snag a big mofo and it would pull my $1000 drone into the water
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
"the one secret fish beyond the breakers dont want you to know about!"

i do the same thing for heavier shark fishing rigs using kayak or heavy-duty kite fishing rig
View Quote
I never understand why fishermen on the bank try to cast as far out as they can, but put them in a boat and they try to get as close to the bank as possible.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I get to get that for launching balls out into the lake for the dogs to fetch
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What would you rather drag to the beach, a drone or that monster cannon?  That monster cannon is very cool though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Monster cannon?

It's the size of a 16" AR lol

That's honestly not much larger or heavier than a "drone".
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I never understand why fishermen on the bank try to cast as far out as they can, but put them in a boat and they try to get as close to the bank as possible.
View Quote
One is saltwater and the other is freshwater phenomenons.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The drone can also watch the world die while it is out there.
View Quote
Maybe... it didn't swim
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Cool, thanks for sharing.
I always thought that would work.

Curious, YU No keep the tasty tasty young shark?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Tag!
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I beg to differ. I live near a large lake. Bank fisherman cut limbs and trees back near all the fishing spots to cast as hard and as far as they can.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Cool, thanks for sharing.
I always thought that would work.

Curious, YU No keep the tasty tasty young shark?
View Quote
That was the last morning of the vacation.  We had no room in the car and a 14 hour drive.  I would have needed some type of cooler for the meat.  I've also had shark before and wasn't impressed, although I'm sure different species are shark are different but I'll take other fish over that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Monster cannon?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Monster cannon?

I was talking about the Sand Blaster Bait Canon, not the AR style.  The AR one is going to get law enforcement called most likely.

This would be fun to have on the beach but a pain to carry down.

Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#45]
OK...that is cool.

I want to do this, but drones are not allowed at Padre Island National Seashore (PINS).

A couple of questions.

How heavy was the bait and weight?  
How far did it take the bait out?  
Could you use a larger bait and weight?  
Do you think this would work with a conventional casting reel (I use Daiwa Sealine SHA 20's and 30's) and can already cast them really well...but I am limited to the 80-110 yard range depending on various factors.  I'd love to be able to get an 8-12" mullet 200-400 yards offshore using a drone.

I could see putting a bait at the 200, 300, and 400 yard marks to cover various water columns.

Well done...I've been wanting to try this.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I beg to differ. I live near a large lake. Bank fisherman cut limbs and trees back near all the fishing spots to cast as hard and as far as they can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Casting straight out is nearly pointless, unless you are trying to get into a channel.  The reason boat fisherman hit the bank and reel it out is, small fish are closer to the bank.  Bigger fish are further away from the bank and they wait looking for small fish to venture into deeper water.  Bank fishing you would want to mostly horizontal to bank, not straight out.  Catfishing a river, you would want to throw has hard as you can to get out into the river channel, which the fish use to travel from one area to another.  It is all about presentation to the fish given your location.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#47]
This is the correct answer.

Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
OK...that is cool.

I want to do this, but drones are not allowed at Padre Island National Seashore (PINS).

A couple of questions.

How heavy was the bait and weight?  
How far did it take the bait out?  
Could you use a larger bait and weight?  
Do you think this would work with a conventional casting reel (I use Daiwa Sealine SHA 20's and 30's) and can already cast them really well...but I am limited to the 80-110 yard range depending on various factors.  I'd love to be able to get an 8-12" mullet 200-400 yards offshore using a drone.

Well done...I've been wanting to try this.
View Quote
I think the weight was either 3 or 5 ounces and the bait maybe 2 ounces.  The drone didn't even react to the weight so I know it can handle much heavier.  I was taking it 400-600 feet out.  It could go much further assuming you have the line on your reel.  I bought a large spinning reel with 250 yard capacity.  It was just a cheapy, so it would work with any.  It's a lot easier to watch how much line you have left on a spinning reel than a bait caster.  I think it would carry a 12 inch mullet.

You have to get a drone with the power of a Phantom though.  I have a cheap Phantom-like drone but it would struggle to lift 8 ounces.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just wait til a gull swoops by and snags that shit
View Quote
Thought the same thing. I've been out before and caught more gulls than fish.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Get it to drop an IBobber out there and you will have a fish finder to go along with the drone to tell you where to drop the bait.  Gotta love technology.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top