Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#1]
OP, thanks for NOT using rap music on your demo video...
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think the weight was either 3 or 5 ounces and the bait maybe 2 ounces.  The drone didn't even react to the weight so I know it can handle much heavier.  I was taking it 400-600 feet out.  It could go much further assuming you have the line on your reel.  I bought a large spinning reel with 250 yard capacity.  It was just a cheapy, so it would work with any.  It's a lot easier to watch how much line you have left on a spinning reel than a bait caster.  I think it would carry a 12 inch mullet.

You have to get a drone with the power of a Phantom though.  I have a cheap Phantom-like drone but it would struggle to lift 8 ounces.
View Quote
Thanks SWIRE.

I am actually a pretty good surfcaster.  I use Breakaway LDX and HDX rods.  Both are 13'3" long, but one is set up to sling a 4oz bait and pompano rigs, the other for slinging about a 6 oz. weight and a smallish finger mullet in the 3-5" range.  On a calm day, with the LDX/Pompano rig...I can knock down 110 yards all day long. That gets me right in front of the 3rd sand bar.  With the heavier rod, I can get 90-100 yards.  The problem is not the weight, it's the wind resistance of a freaking live mullet...they're NOT.

In addition to that...using a drone, you an use a shorter rod as you don't need the leverage to sling that rig out into the abyss...and the shorter rod gives you much more leverage on a larger fish.

Using a rig like your drone and dropping a large mullet or Piggy Perch, brings several other species into play for me.  King Mackerel, Ling, etc. become a reality.

Kudos for trying it.  I am really ready to pull the trigger on a drone to use this on areas I fish that are NOT PINS.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I used to shark fish but got out of it because the surf was always too damn rough for me to kayak out my bait. Now with the advent of affordably priced drones I’m starting to think about doing it again.
View Quote
Guy I know was kayaking baits out on the MD and DE coasts.
And landing 8 and 9' sharks, tagging and releasing them.
DE shut him down.
Scaring the tourists.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
DE shut him down.
Scaring the tourists.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to shark fish but got out of it because the surf was always too damn rough for me to kayak out my bait. Now with the advent of affordably priced drones I'm starting to think about doing it again.
DE shut him down.
Scaring the tourists.
Tiger Shark 12/6in Tagged and released from beach

This happens right across the street from my house on a fairly frequent basis.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What do you do with sharks?  I caught one on an off shore fishing trip.  It wasn't the best for eating.  I honestly had no idea what/how to fish the surf.  I just knew if I through out bait I would probably catch something and it turned out to be sharks.
View Quote
Some sharks are very tasty...but the KEY to it is a couple of things

1.  Remove all the innards and puncture the heart AS SOON AS YOU CAN. It removes all the blood, and does away with any ammonia smell.

2.  Get the fish on ICE as soon as it has bled out and expired.

A Black tip shark in the 3-5 foot range is delicious.

That being said...I generally release every shark I catch.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks SWIRE.

I am actually a pretty good surfcaster.  I use Breakaway LDX and HDX rods.  Both are 13'3" long, but one is set up to sling a 4oz bait and pompano rigs, the other for slinging about a 6 oz. weight and a smallish finger mullet in the 3-5" range.  On a calm day, with the LDX/Pompano rig...I can knock down 110 yards all day long. That gets me right in front of the 3rd sand bar.  With the heavier rod, I can get 90-100 yards.  The problem is not the weight, it's the wind resistance of a freaking live mullet...they're NOT.

In addition to that...using a drone, you an use a shorter rod as you don't need the leverage to sling that rig out into the abyss...and the shorter rod gives you much more leverage on a larger fish.

Using a rig like your drone and dropping a large mullet or Piggy Perch, brings several other species into play for me.  King Mackerel, Ling, etc. become a reality.

Kudos for trying it.  I am really ready to pull the trigger on a drone to use this on areas I fish that are NOT PINS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the weight was either 3 or 5 ounces and the bait maybe 2 ounces.  The drone didn't even react to the weight so I know it can handle much heavier.  I was taking it 400-600 feet out.  It could go much further assuming you have the line on your reel.  I bought a large spinning reel with 250 yard capacity.  It was just a cheapy, so it would work with any.  It's a lot easier to watch how much line you have left on a spinning reel than a bait caster.  I think it would carry a 12 inch mullet.

You have to get a drone with the power of a Phantom though.  I have a cheap Phantom-like drone but it would struggle to lift 8 ounces.
Thanks SWIRE.

About a year ago New Egg was running a deal  Refurbish Phantom 3 Standard $329.  They are closer to $599 right now.  If you can find it at that price again, that is the drone that I would use.

As to your issue on casting the bait.  Can you do something like the guy with the big air canon did?  Freeze it all together?  It would get the wind resistance down and you could put small pieces of fish in to help chum the water as the ice melted. To make it easy you would need a swivel-snap on your line and just change out the bait component every time you would cast.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#7]
A kite release clip should work well for you OP.  Free spool line on the way out, put in gear, and with the release set up right it should pop right out.  Make sure to have 'enough gun' if you are dropping big baits.  Watching a 4/0 penn filled with 100# braid smoked in two minutes was pretty entertaining.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

..and the shorter rod gives you much more leverage on a larger fish.
View Quote
Huh?
Size of fish has nothing to do with the leverage.
why not use a 2-3ft rod then?
or no rod at all

seems to me the determining factor would be stiffness of rod. more force could be exerted to fish because less of the force is lost in bending of the rod.

Please explain your logic
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#9]
There is actually a remote release available on the market. Your choice whether you want to drop fishing lures or hand grenades.

Amazon Product
  • Payload release mechanism Airdrop DIY for DJI Mavic Pro.
  • Can be used for fishing/baiting/Wedding/Romatic Proposal(carrying the ring) etc.
  • Internal battery lasts 1-2 hours and can be used 100's of times on one charge.

Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Breakers?  Bob Hope could make that run in his golf cart.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice OP...

I've watched some guys use slingshots up near Bonneville Dam on the Columbia....Sturgeon fishing.

Bonneville Dam Slingshot Fishing For Sturgeon
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top