[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"inspection day" Hah, wtf is that?
View Quote

they check the "suitcase".
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#2]
It was pretty much a common area anything went when I was in school.

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#3]
His own room?  Bathroom he only shares with 1 person?  Luxury living compared to when I was a freshman.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A dorm room or roommates are not the same as a dorm bathroom that has an unlocked door to your room where anyone can just enter.

Do you have a real degree or was it from a Cracker Jack box?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called communal living. I had to share a room with someone I had never met until I got there. He could  go through all my shit anytime I  wasn't in the room. OMG!

A dorm room or roommates are not the same as a dorm bathroom that has an unlocked door to your room where anyone can just enter.

Do you have a real degree or was it from a Cracker Jack box?

It's called an analogy. It's used to make the point that having a stranger assigned to you for a roommate who can access your room through an entry door at will is not materially different from a security standpoint than a suite-mate who can enter your room through a bathroom door. Both are communal living,  i.e.  you are required to share your living quarters to one degree or another with people you did not choose on terms you did not set. OP's son's dorm setup is significantly more private and secure than the dorms countless people managed to persevere through without having weed planted in their room, only to discovered by the meddling RA on inspection day.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I paid extra for a private room. He learns better in the quiet.
View Quote

Ok now you’re fucking with us right?
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#6]
In my dorm we had to walk down the hall to the showers

It was 6 doors down from my room

I didnt lock my room, no shit but one time.

The one time I didnt I had shit stolen out of my room
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Is this a serious thread?
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So... you put a noose in your kid’s dorm room?

You see where this is going right?
View Quote

This is a legit concern.  If it's a residential style doorknob, just buy another one and install it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I suspect they are "like that way" due to years of experience of student irresponsibility and leaving the door locked that resulted in students in the adjoining room not being able to access the head.

Put a door bar of some type on your kid's side of door, rape-rape/drug planting problem solved.

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I suspect they are "like that way" due to years of experience of student irresponsibility and leaving the door locked that resulted in students in the adjoining room not being able to access the head.

Put a door bar of some type on your kid's side of door, rape-rape/drug planting problem solved.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/79/00/62/79006257244d5849ea211b09eae10685.jpg
View Quote

This.   Also, it could result in someone getting locked in the bathroom.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I guess it's no different than having a roommate but it's odd the door to a single doesn't lock
View Quote

I could see someone with a roommate not wanting to be trapped in the bathroom if the roommate locked the bathroom door from teh outside.... but when the resident has no roommate because it's a single room then that's stupid.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/79/00/62/79006257244d5849ea211b09eae10685.jpg
View Quote

I think he said the door opened inward.  Something like a door bar isn't gonna stop that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We just moved our freshman in last weekend, and I went through the same thought process you are going through right now since we are in the same position.  It's a CYA thing on the school because if the bathroom suite doors could be locked  from the room side there's the potential that a student could get locked in the bathroom from both doors whether by accident or if his roommates/suite mates are assholes.

On the far end of the "what if" scenario this happens and the place burns down with kid trapped in bathroom with no exit.
View Quote

This makes sense.  It's one of those rules that only exist because it has happened before.

That being said, it sux.  I would tell your kid to get a small motion activated camera and point it at the door.  We had a similar issue in the barracks.  Guy suspected his suite mate was entering his room while he was away.  Put up camera and proved it.

Moved my son in this weekend at Alabama.  The dorms are ridiculously nice.  Two man suites. Each have their own private room with a dead bolt on door.  They share a bathroom, kitchen, and den area.  All dorms overlook the Black Warrior River, though not every room has a view, but still nice.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"inspection day" Hah, wtf is that?
View Quote

its that like in the army where half your shit was thrown out a window in front of the barracks.

in before OPs kid forgets to unbolt his jimmied lock door and gets a unexpected visit by campus police.

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Daughter's lock (to the dorm hall) doesn't work either.  Her roommate is moving out to an apartment but dumped all her crap on the floor as a staging area
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
His own room?  Bathroom he only shares with 1 person?  Luxury living compared to when I was a freshman.
View Quote

no shit... barracks life 4 shitters, 3 pissers and 4 sinks for 40...
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't send your kids to college.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Those are tranny doors.  So all the college trannies can go see the sleeping boys.  Yep, installed by order of the Supreme Court I’m afraid.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I guess it's no different than having a roommate but it's odd the door to a single doesn't lock
View Quote

because you probably have dipshits that don't unlock the door and effective block the other "roommate" from taking a dump.  We had these same no lock setups in the mil also.  The only ones that didn't were in the female areas.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I think you're worrying far too much about this.  

If theft is a concern, tell your son to get a wifi camera that records to a cloud to watch the room.  They're cheap and some have motion sensors.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Chicago lock or blocking bar.  problem solved
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
But only you could get into your room right?
View Quote
I had a roommate assigned by housing. And a communal shower separated by curtains.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sounds scary. You should probably have just taken him back home.
View Quote

this is arfcom where no one answers their front door. You're saying we should leave our front doors open, unlocked, and a big sign saying, "WELCOME!"

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So... you put a noose in your kid’s dorm room?

You see where this is going right?
View Quote

This, op's son is living in a bad idea factory, there's a fair chance, they'd go full retard over that vs. weed

And the son should be taking care of issues, not the parents, imo. Some guidance from pops certainly isn't crazy though
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This, op's son is living in a bad idea factory, there's a fair chance, they'd go full retard over that vs. weed

And the son should be taking care of issues, not the parents, imo. Some guidance from pops certainly isn't crazy though
View Quote

Dad shouldn't put much time into this though.  Whatever Rube Goldberg device he comes up with will be thrown in a drawer and forgotten within 24 hours of his departure.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My college dorm showers were six shower heads in one big room for the whole hall. Nobody died or got raped. No  private toilets either.
View Quote

We had the same thing, but the doors and transoms to the dorm rooms locked.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#31]
I am shocked, shocked to hear campus housing is industrial grade garbage.

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#33]
They often do this to keep the people in the other room from locking you out of the shitter.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

this is arfcom where no one answers their front door. You're saying we should leave our front doors open, unlocked, and a big sign saying, "WELCOME!"

View Quote

lol no he's actually saying,  quit being a nervous nanny in a semi-private room with 2 people and a shared bathroom isn't a big deal.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Dad shouldn't put much time into this though.  Whatever Rube Goldberg device he comes up with will be thrown in a drawer and forgotten within 24 hours of his departure.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They often do this to keep the people in the other room from locking you out of the shitter.
View Quote

in before they find nasty piss bottles in the room because of it....
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Probably a good idea even with the improvised lock to keep anything of value locked up, computer password protected, maybe a security camera of some sort. It might seem a little paranoid, but doing those things shouldn’t be too much of an inconvenience.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My college dorm showers were six shower heads in one big room for the whole hall. Nobody died or got raped. No  private toilets either.

It sounds like the doors to the hallway lock, but he can't lock either door to the bathroom he shares with one other person.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here, AND a roommate.  No private rooms.  OP must send his kid to a school for rich folks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
But only you could get into your room right?
View Quote
I always had roommates and sometimes they would lock the door and sometimes they wouldn't.  Shared bathroom with the hall, lots of piss on the floor and people who shit in the showers.  It is what it is.

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Holy shit, I laughed so hard I almost crapped myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My college dorm showers were six shower heads in one big room for the whole hall. Nobody died or got raped.

How do you know you haven't been dead the whole time?

Or raped.

Holy shit, I laughed so hard I almost crapped myself.

Well, he's just gonna have to try harder next time...
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Lol. Mine were the same way. You’re overthinking this
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Some liberal was probably offended by the locks so the college removed them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

College Freshmen are some of the biggest degenerates around.   Coddled kids with poor judgement and life skills are suddenly left with no adult supervision.   Many are there simply because their parents forced them.   Expect the worst

In my first semester of dorm life, 90% of my classmates were drunk or high 3 days a week, every week.   The cumulative GPA after the first semester for the Freshman class was 1.0, despite a small group that earned 4.0s.    

When I told off the local drug dealing kingpin, a Junior, he had his thugs attack me.   I spent 3 months carrying a pistol and going nose-to-nose with them.   They broke through a heavy steel door and destroyed everything in my dorm room twice, including $1500 in textbooks.  

I tape-recorded some of their death threats, as well as their assault on another student, and photographed the massive bloodstains.    I told the Dean of Students I wanted out of my housing contract immediately or my evidence would go straight to the local newspaper, and that if he didn’t reign in the druggies, people were going to die. We became mortal enemies at that point, and he made damn sure my teachers screwed me whenever possible for my entire four years.

The Dean gave me back my contract.   It took three weeks to move out and in that time the Dean and his Resident Assistants searched my room several times when I was in class, but they never did find my pistol.   I’m sure the Dean was getting his drugs from this dealer.   When he got busted for dealing, the college paid for a defense attorney.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I'll take "things that never happened for $800, Alex."
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Does your son truly share your concern?  

Because if not, he won't be using all your Rube Goldberg contraptions to secure his room.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

College Freshmen are some of the biggest degenerates around.   Coddled kids with poor judgement and life skills are suddenly left with no adult supervision.   Many are there simply because their parents forced them.   Expect the worst

In my first semester of dorm life, 90% of my classmates were drunk or high 3 days a week, every week.   The cumulative GPA after the first semester for the Freshman class was 1.0, despite a small group that earned 4.0s.    

When I told off the local drug dealing kingpin, a Junior, he had his thugs attack me.   I spent 3 months carrying a pistol and going nose-to-nose with them.   They broke through a heavy steel door and destroyed everything in my dorm room twice, including $1500 in textbooks.  

I tape-recorded some of their death threats, as well as their assault on another student, and photographed the massive bloodstains.    I told the Dean of Students I wanted out of my housing contract immediately or my evidence would go straight to the local newspaper, and that if he didn’t reign in the druggies, people were going to die. We became mortal enemies at that point, and he made damn sure my teachers screwed me whenever possible for my entire four years.

The Dean gave me back my contract.   It took three weeks to move out and in that time the Dean and his Resident Assistants searched my room several times when I was in class, but they never did find my pistol.   I’m sure the Dean was getting his drugs from this dealer.   When he got busted for dealing, the college paid for a defense attorney.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

The first two paragraphs were highly credible but then it really took off from there.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#47]
I partially agree with the OP, if I was paying today's college money for a "private room" I'd expect to be able to lock everyone else out, or else it isn't really "private".

But - I think OP is overreacting. This is a minor annoyance at worst and most likely a non-issue. OP does know that kids that don't spring for the private room share a single room with a roommate right?

I'm only 11 years out of school - but even in the nicest-on-campus "modular" dorm I stayed in freshman year, me and a roommate had one 20' x 20' common room for all our stuff including extra-long twin beds and desks, 2 closets that didn't lock, and a "private" bathroom for just our room.

Anything you were worried about being messed with, you took with you or locked up. I had a small lockbox for valuables, and my mini-fridge locked so my roommate couldn't steal my booze . If you wanted it quiet and your roommate wasn't agreeable, you studied in the library or a study room for your major.

Some of that is just part of life - learning to deal with others, even if they are being an asshole.

I'm sure my roommates weren't fond of me coming home drunk all the time, or asking him to find a place to hang out when I brought girls home.

Either way, I'd leave it up to your son to deal with - you're stealing a valuable learning opportunity from him.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The first two paragraphs were highly credible but then it really took off from there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tape-recorded some of their death threats, as well as their assault on another student, and photographed the massive bloodstains.    I told the Dean of Students I wanted out of my housing contract immediately or my evidence would go straight to the local newspaper, and that if he didn't reign in the druggies, people were going to die. We became mortal enemies at that point, and he made damn sure my teachers screwed me whenever possible for my entire four years.

The Dean gave me back my contract.   It took three weeks to move out and in that time the Dean and his Resident Assistants searched my room several times when I was in class, but they never did find my pistol.   I'm sure the Dean was getting his drugs from this dealer.   When he got busted for dealing, the college paid for a defense attorney.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

An idiot friend of a friend was bragging about his snowman GPA (.08).
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I had a private dorm room that connected with an identical room via a shared bathroom. We were able to lock the bathroom doors from the dorm room side.
View Quote

^ this
Shared bathroom in the middle of two rooms., Dorm side room locks, so a person can't walk into your room.

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#50]
This can be put away for an inspection day and used the rest of the time.  

Hotel door lock.

* Nevermind, I misread and thought the door opened into his room.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top